Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Someone post the entirety of Incredible Hercules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Calaveron posted:

Not if you have to use sound effects that literally express what the character is doing.
And it's weird because if you removed the sound effects the art is still dynamic enough to convey what the character is doing.

It didn't occur to me until you said something that those were sound effects and not something the character was saying as she did those things.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I was about the complain about sound effects when I saw

Byers2142 posted:

Summers will start poo poo with anyone who even kinda attacks mutants. Anyone.

Avengers versus X-Men #1

the other day. I wish they were integrated better. I know there are some good examples but I can't think of any.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The Ka-"object" thing has grown common to the point of just being annoying.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Not at my computer right now but One-Punch Man does some loving amazing work with sfx text. I'll find some pages and post them once I get home if nobody else does.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Chinaman7000 posted:

I was about the complain about sound effects when I saw

the other day. I wish they were integrated better. I know there are some good examples but I can't think of any.

Does this count?

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Frank Quitely's sound effects in Batman & Robin are second-to-none:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I didn't even notice that when I read it. Nice.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
"Note to Batmobile: Disable means pop a tire, not murder with hellfire missile, jeez..."

prefect posted:

Does this count?

What's the source? Simonson Thor I assume.

Edit: Found it - Thor #337. As a long-time comic nerd, Simonson's Thor run is a hole in my back-catalog I keep meaning to take care of.

Madrox fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 8, 2014

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

You really should, Simonson's run on Fantastic Four is pretty good too, AND he had to work around She-Thing!

Here's a badass penultimate Ol' Horseface cover by Simonson..

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

AnonSpore posted:

Not at my computer right now but One-Punch Man does some loving amazing work with sfx text. I'll find some pages and post them once I get home if nobody else does.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

The sounds are so loud they cast shadows.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Madrox posted:

Edit: Found it - Thor #337. As a long-time comic nerd, Simonson's Thor run is a hole in my back-catalog I keep meaning to take care of.

You should get it

Thor 362

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It's also worth pointing out that that gif is made out of panels of the comic. The art is loving amazing and flows so smoothly it's easy to forget that it comes from a comic.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

bobkatt013 posted:

You should get it

Thor 362

I don't care how many times that shows up in this thread. It's exemplary of what this thread is for.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Why are the gods of Asgard armed with what appears to be m16's?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Some troops gave them the guns after a big battle. Also, the idea of the Norse gods raiding Hell armed with M16s is too awesome to pass up.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's also worth pointing out that that gif is made out of panels of the comic. The art is loving amazing and flows so smoothly it's easy to forget that it comes from a comic.

The guy is a storyboarder, so it's not that unexpected. Still awesome though.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Bohemian Nights posted:

Why are the gods of Asgard armed with what appears to be m16's?

Why not?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also, isn't the Executioner just a regular dude from the 9 realms, not an actual god?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaz-L posted:

Also, isn't the Executioner just a regular dude from the 9 realms, not an actual god?

I'm pretty sure he's Asgardian, and thus a hell of a lot tougher than your average Midgardian.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

You might think it's difficult to show the Spectre as badass because he/it is just so powerful that nothing could really challenge him. The trick is to provide opponents against whom sheer overwhelming force won't help. Opponents like the US legal system.

The Spectre, volume 3, #52 (1997). The Spectre goes to a prison and walks along Death Row, killing all the prisoners -- and the guards too, because they were dirty. And he leaves one man alive, because he knows that this one man happens to be innocent.

"Are you gonna tell them that I'm innocent?"

"No. That's a legal issue. It's not my business."

"But they're gonna execute me! You have to save me!

"No, I really don't. I only have to take vengeance. Goodbye."

and the Spectre fades away... but he's bothered by this, especially since Corrigan was a cop and doesn't like the idea of the wrong person being prosecuted because then the guilty will escape punishment. So he gets an idea.

The next night, the surviving prisoner is being strapped to a gurney, and insisting that they have to know he's innocent because why else would the Spectre have spared him. And the warden says, well, who knows why the Spectre does anything, really, just lie back and it'll all be over soon...

and then the Spectre materializes.

the warden is stunned, but recovers quickly: Spectre, you can't interfere with this! This is entirely legal!

and the Spectre says: You misunderstand. I am not here to stop the execution. It is a mortal legal issue, and is none of my business.

HOWEVER.

I have told you that this man is innocent. If you execute him, then THAT will be murder. And I will avenge that murder... on everyone who was involved.

Warden gulps. "You can't blame us for this! We're just carrying out the wishes of the people of the State of New York!"

Spectre gazes down at him.

"Then, in accordance with your logic... it is the people of the State of New York who shall feel my wrath."

Warden says "... call the governor, we've suddenly got a reason to commute the death sentence."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Parahexavoctal posted:

You might think it's difficult to show the Spectre as badass because he/it is just so powerful that nothing could really challenge him. The trick is to provide opponents against whom sheer overwhelming force won't help. Opponents like the US legal system.

The Spectre, volume 3, #52 (1997). The Spectre goes to a prison and walks along Death Row, killing all the prisoners -- and the guards too, because they were dirty. And he leaves one man alive, because he knows that this one man happens to be innocent.

"Are you gonna tell them that I'm innocent?"

"No. That's a legal issue. It's not my business."

"But they're gonna execute me! You have to save me!

"No, I really don't. I only have to take vengeance. Goodbye."

and the Spectre fades away... but he's bothered by this, especially since Corrigan was a cop and doesn't like the idea of the wrong person being prosecuted because then the guilty will escape punishment. So he gets an idea.

The next night, the surviving prisoner is being strapped to a gurney, and insisting that they have to know he's innocent because why else would the Spectre have spared him. And the warden says, well, who knows why the Spectre does anything, really, just lie back and it'll all be over soon...

and then the Spectre materializes.

the warden is stunned, but recovers quickly: Spectre, you can't interfere with this! This is entirely legal!

and the Spectre says: You misunderstand. I am not here to stop the execution. It is a mortal legal issue, and is none of my business.

HOWEVER.

I have told you that this man is innocent. If you execute him, then THAT will be murder. And I will avenge that murder... on everyone who was involved.

Warden gulps. "You can't blame us for this! We're just carrying out the wishes of the people of the State of New York!"

Spectre gazes down at him.

"Then, in accordance with your logic... it is the people of the State of New York who shall feel my wrath."

Warden says "... call the governor, we've suddenly got a reason to commute the death sentence."

I really want to see these pages.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Kind of a terrifying threat too. Terrorist Spectre is nightmarish.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
infinitesimal adj
1: taking on values arbitrarily close to but greater than zero
2: immeasurably or incalculably small

A word exists to describe it! Infinitesimal! That is the word! :eng99:

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

PFlats posted:

infinitesimal adj

I'm pretty sure they meant "less than 1 yoctosecond" (since "yocto" is the smallest metric prefix) there; that there's no word to describe the specific fraction of a second he spent, not no word to describe the period of time at all.

At least, that was the implication I got? :v:

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

PFlats posted:

infinitesimal adj

Look they're just writers, you can't expect them to know about language.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Idran posted:

I'm pretty sure they meant "less than 1 yoctosecond" (since "yocto" is the smallest metric prefix) there; that there's no word to describe the specific fraction of a second he spent, not no word to describe the period of time at all.

At least, that was the implication I got? :v:

How about "YOLOsecond"?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
This is comics we're talking about. It's hard to make a quick acronym out of "You Only Live Like Five or Six Times, Unless You're Really Popular Then You Get A Stamp Card Good For A Dozen Uses."

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Captain Bravo posted:

This is comics we're talking about. It's hard to make a quick acronym out of "You Only Live Like Five or Six Times, Unless You're Really Popular Then You Get A Stamp Card Good For A Dozen Uses."

They'd gladly give out lifetime passes to the popular guys, but that'd get really confusing for this particular use.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I hate when they make Flash that fast. If he was really that quick, every other hero on the planet would be useless. He could simultaneously prevent every accidental death at once. He could end world hunger, he could wreck every terror cell on the planet. He could gather and disarm every IED in the desert. There would be no more conflict. Slow him the gently caress down.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah, there's that one Impulse gag where Riddler is like "I've hidden a bomb under a porch somewhere, to find out which-" and then Impulse is holding the bomb and says "I just checked under every porch in the city."

Why even have a comic at that point? Just print out a flyer with an image of Flash and the text "He solved all the problems through brute force."

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Cassa posted:

Kind of a terrifying threat too. Terrorist Spectre is nightmarish.

Ostrander did some magnificent stuff with the Spectre. What vengeance should the Spectre wreak on, for instance, people who were doing ethnic cleansing as vengeance for the previous ethnic cleansing that had been done as vengeance for the ethnic cleansing previous to that?

If your answer is anything other than "deem that everyone innocent within the nation has been murdered, and everyone still alive within the nation's current borders is guilty... and then purge every single one of the fuckers all at once", then congratulations: you have too much humanity and compassion within you to be the Spectre.

(Well, almost every single one. He kept two alive: one political leader on each side. Just so they could see what he was doing.)

There was also the story where Madame Xanadu managed to steal the Spectre from Corrigan. She intended to use it to bring about a golden utopia! Feed everyone! Heal all diseases! Spread equality! ... BUT FIRST, she had to wreak terrible vengeance on the industrialist polluters who were raping and murdering the Earth!

And Corrigan - who at this point is little more than a solid ghost - and his companions manage to summon Madame Xanadu to them, and confront her.

And he yells at her.

"You think the Spectre is just some power source you can use however you want? I lived with it for almost seventy years! It's made of rage.

You're never going to get around to changing the world, because there will always be people to punish!

Your targets might be different from mine, but your methods will always be the same!

IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT? TO END UP JUST LIKE ME???"

and Madame Xanadu says "... no."

and she relinquishes the power of the Spectre.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I guess the lesson of the Spectre is that it's a really good thing Ghost Rider's power level is relatively low and that he's an idiot.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There's a running thing with Ghost Rider that the second half of that causes the first. The human sides of him just can't think big and angry enough to tap into the full well.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Skwirl posted:

I really want to see these pages.

I do love John Ostrander and Tom Mandrake's work, I should look up some Grimjack panels for the thread one of these days.

And this is the reason his lawyer mentioned Vlatava.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Which event was it where The Spectre decides all Magic on Earth is Evil and decides to go about destroying all sources of Magic, killing the old wizard Shazam and blowing up Atlantis?

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Wade Wilson posted:

Which event was it where The Spectre decides all Magic on Earth is Evil and decides to go about destroying all sources of Magic, killing the old wizard Shazam and blowing up Atlantis?

Infinite Crisis, I think.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

It's Day of Vengeance which leads up to Infinite Crisis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

On one hand, I think Ostrander is one of the best writers the medium has been lucky to have, and I also really liked scenes I've seen of his Spectre run in a lot of places.

But I don't think anything to do with the stories mentioned are badass or cool or even interesting. The antagonists are all strawmen and the Spectre gets away with broad stroke simple solutions that work not because they make sense but because the character threatens and is capable of genocide to get his way.

Maybe there's something I'm missing, but what message is even being conveyed there?

edit: also the Flash should totally be Quicksilver fast, not literal lightspeed fast. Thanks for listening.

Chinaman7000 fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 10, 2014