Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Devorum posted:

So is this game good again? And if so, are the older 'mechs competitive, or would I have to Clan up to expect to win if I came back to it?

It's getting better, refer to the quirk list, and you can win without being clan (but the stormcrow and timberwolf, a medium and light mech respectively, are considered top tier).

If you want to waste a few evenings shooting robits with goons it's probably worth downloading.
e: unlike reading this thread, which we should really replace to save people from reading that OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Baudin posted:

It's getting better, refer to the quirk list, and you can win without being clan (but the stormcrow and timberwolf, a medium and light mech respectively, are considered top tier).

If you want to waste a few evenings shooting robits with goons it's probably worth downloading.
e: unlike reading this thread, which we should really replace to save people from reading that OP.

Oh, wow...they actually started making quirks more than just "this guy can move his arms slightly farther up"? Nice. I'm patching now...for the first time in a year. I can only imagine how terrible I'm going to be, considering I was already pretty bad.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Devorum posted:

So is this game good again? And if so, are the older 'mechs competitive, or would I have to Clan up to expect to win if I came back to it?

Clans are hilariously op but you can buy a stock stormcrow for 11 mill cbills and be murdering noobs without spending a thing so it's not like it's too hard to get in on.

There are also a bunch of IS mechs that got seriously upgraded by the recent quirk pass (firestarter, thunderbolt, cataphract, dragon 1n, awesome 8Q) so it's worth looking through the quirk changelist and seeing how your stable has been beefed up.

e: ^^ just delete and reinstall the lot, it's way quicker ^^

oh, and the UI is even more hilariously terrible now - your modules may have vanished because they changed the way they work, if so you'll need to to go through each of your robots to find them and strip them

Infeckt
Feb 17, 2014

I'v been stuck at work all day, is the Lynx still poo poo?

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

So now that I've finally finished mastering Jenners, I think I'm going to turn my attention to Cataphracts. I have the Ilya Muromets and -4X, what should my 3rd variant be? Also, recommend me a good build for the Ilya and -4X? I haven't been super happy with any of my builds for them.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Kaninrail posted:

Jenner-F with a rank 4 range module now shoots medium lasers out to 312 meters, seems pretty good.

Not as good as a firestarter with -15% medium laser heat generation in addition to a better energy range quirk

I really want to have a reason to buy a jenner again because the jenner is basically a racecar robot but lol metal babies

e: And, really, the griffin satisfies my racecar fetish anyways

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

garth ferengi posted:

Not as good as a firestarter with -15% medium laser heat generation in addition to a better energy range quirk

I really want to have a reason to buy a jenner again because the jenner is basically a racecar robot but lol metal babies

e: And, really, the griffin satisfies my racecar fetish anyways

Yeah, I already had Jenners and didn't have Firestarters, and didn't feel like buying new robots, so the Jenners got mastered. Firestarters look pretty awesome though and they're the only light that I have serious trepidation about engaging 1v1. Those 8x Small Pulse builds rip me to shreds.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

I have yet to lose a 1v1 against an 8 SPL firestarter in my 6ML one but maybe I've only gone up against completely terrible light pilots

I wouldn't be too worried about them honestly, it's the smart ones who run 6ML and know how to peek and poke and generally be a belligerent space rear end in a top hat who you need to watch out for

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

garth ferengi posted:

I have yet to lose a 1v1 against an 8 SPL firestarter in my 6ML one but maybe I've only gone up against completely terrible light pilots

I wouldn't be too worried about them honestly, it's the smart ones who run 6ML and know how to peek and poke and generally be a belligerent space rear end in a top hat who you need to watch out for

in all fairness to your opponents you are the keyser soze of tiny robots

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Finally had a good game in a sniping king crab:

Mostly involved stealing kills from Rivvin. The last kill of the match was a snapshot on someone trying to flank me, felt so good :3:

Baudin fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 10, 2014

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

sebmojo posted:

in all fairness to your opponents you are the keyser soze of tiny robots

i'm ok i guess

e: I guess my firestarter stats have plunged into terribleness since I started playing to make my team win rather than to just promote the moderatepudding brand

garth ferengi fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 10, 2014

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Kaninrail posted:

So now that I've finally finished mastering Jenners, I think I'm going to turn my attention to Cataphracts. I have the Ilya Muromets and -4X, what should my 3rd variant be? Also, recommend me a good build for the Ilya and -4X? I haven't been super happy with any of my builds for them.

3D is probably the other one to get. It has jets. Used to be one of the better jumpsnipers when that was a thing.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

garth ferengi posted:

i'm ok i guess

e: I guess my firestarter stats have plunged into terribleness since I started playing to make my team win rather than to just promote the moderatepudding brand

haha those stats are just loving retarded

do you have any videos of you playing? because i am bad and i harbour a sweet deathless dream of one day being less bad.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Aesis posted:

Hunchback 4SP report.

With SRM6 cooldown reduction you can fire SRM6 every 2 seconds or so with SRM6 Cooldown 5 (total 52.5% reduction). Also laser duration is reduced by 25% so shooting Lasers felt like shooting Pulse. However you'll overheat fast even with 6 DHS.

Getting close is the hard part due to its mediocre speed of STD 250 (89.1 kph with Speed Tweak), but go inside 150 meter and it can wreck even heavies pretty fast. If you love close range brawl and have 4SP from back in the days then I recommend trying it out now.

Yeah I checked the updated quirk sheet and went "there's no loving way that can be right, 20% cooldown on missiles AND 20 on SRM6s!?" Already had the SRM6 cooldown module. I'm running my old 275std 4ml 2srm6 and holy poo poo this mech has a heat problem and an ammo problem now. I mean, I'm not complaining but drat it fires fast. haven't had a game under 400 damage tonight, and that's with half the mechs on the field being KGCs.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

sebmojo posted:

do you have any videos of you playing? because i am bad and i harbour a sweet deathless dream of one day being less bad.

Have you tried a full streak build yet? It's essentially Fire And Forget. :v:

In other news I'm bad at crabs. I like the thing a lot but I have fully forgotten how to play assaults it seems.

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Dec 10, 2014

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

aniviron posted:

Yeah I checked the updated quirk sheet and went "there's no loving way that can be right, 20% cooldown on missiles AND 20 on SRM6s!?" Already had the SRM6 cooldown module. I'm running my old 275std 4ml 2srm6 and holy poo poo this mech has a heat problem and an ammo problem now. I mean, I'm not complaining but drat it fires fast. haven't had a game under 400 damage tonight, and that's with half the mechs on the field being KGCs.

I used to love the 4SP (especially back in closed beta when it had 4 missile hardpoints and SRMs hit harder and did broken splash damage) so it's nice that it's good again.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Fil5000 posted:

I used to love the 4SP (especially back in closed beta when it had 4 missile hardpoints and SRMs hit harder and did broken splash damage) so it's nice that it's good again.
Not exactly good in a sense that anything will core your shoulder instantly with current meta, and you'll somehow lose not only lose SRM 6 upon being cored but ML too, which is in the loving arm. Basically being cored in the shoulder will drop your armament by half instantly :argh:

aniviron posted:

Tried STD 275, poo poo overheated so fast I switched back to STD 250 and 6 DHS build. Even then the entire game is spent on me suppressing the urge to fire SRM 6 non-stop. tbh 4SP was so poo poo nobody was using it. Even after quirk update nobody is using it because you have to close in to do anything.

e: Probably have to throw in SRM 6 heat reduction for some people to actually bother using, but then it's still going to be dependent on how your game flows.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Dec 10, 2014

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

sebmojo posted:

Seconding this, I would like to know more about how to robot.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Aesis posted:

Not exactly good in a sense that anything will core your shoulder instantly with current meta, and you'll somehow lose not only lose SRM 6 upon being cored but ML too, which is in the loving arm. Basically being cored in the shoulder will drop your armament by half instantly :argh:

Tried STD 275, poo poo overheated so fast I switched back to STD 250 and 6 DHS build. Even then the entire game is spent on me suppressing the urge to fire SRM 6 non-stop. tbh 4SP was so poo poo nobody was using it. Even after quirk update nobody is using it because you have to close in to do anything.

e: Probably have to throw in SRM 6 heat reduction for some people to actually bother using, but then it's still going to be dependent on how your game flows.

gently caress it, I'll go full retard and stick an XL in there. GOTTA GO FAST.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

sebmojo posted:

Peek and poke, shoot people until they die, don't get shot at. That's basically all i do

My mechwarrior philosophy goes something like this:

1. Always promote your brand

2. Use people of colour as stepping stones(including yourself if at all possible)

3. Slather paint on your tits and talk about how great war is and how it's the moral prerogative of all white people to help israel commit genocide

If you follow those steps you're practically guaranteed to get good at robots.

RiperSnifel
Jul 13, 2007

Pull the handle, let it go, now you know you're ready to roll.

garth ferengi posted:

Peek and poke, shoot people until they die, don't get shot at. That's basically all i do

My mechwarrior philosophy goes something like this:

1. Always promote your brand

2. Use people of colour as stepping stones(including yourself if at all possible)

3. Slather paint on your tits and talk about how great war is and how it's the moral prerogative of all white people to help israel commit genocide

If you follow those steps you're practically guaranteed to get good at robots.

This is the truth, I can attest to it.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I made a speech supporting the ancient historical right of the Jews to Israel over the Johnny-come-lately squatter Palestinians and my KDR went up 25% overnight. I'm planning on morally equivocating outdated military surplus rocket attacks that are largely ineffective against the technologically advanced Iron Dome defenses with precision bombing attacks on Palestinian schools as the next step in becoming an elite Mechwarrior.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Here it is guys, the results of entire minutes of mindless timewasting while at work over the last few days. For submission to the wiki and linking from the new OP, I submit to you:

The Official Consolidated IS Light Tantra

I have been asked to expound upon how to murder everything in lights. Though I am an inferior robot man, I shall pass on what I have learned from the light masters.

Praise to Ohsh, whose metal babby inspires all who would go fast without care. Praise to modpud whose brand is synonymous with high scores. Praise to VariousCheeses whose Raven is never seen.

So you want to play lights?

Are you really sure? Because everybody else finds other robots a lot more fun I guess. Goons love brawling. Goons love rolling up heavy and pounding guns into one another. Lights don't do this. But maybe you are retarded, or maybe you have the need for speed, or maybe you just need some lights so you can bring a pair of Atlases to CW. Whatever your reasoning, you want to learn how to light mech. Okay, I'll tell you.

Go fast. Shoot butts. Die hard.

But of course there's (slightly) more to it than that. By way of bringing a bit of consistency of terms, and solidifying a doctrine for future newbirds, I offer this guide, drawing on the wisdom of better mech pilots than I, and the knowledge of our supreme mathwarriors.

But really, what the gently caress do I do?

So the first thing to consider is what you are doing in a light mech. Light mechs essentially have several completely different roles, but their primary roles are scouting and interference. While it's possible to steal just boatloads of kills in a light mech, especially one with MGs, light mechs shine in other areas and are arguably more beneficial before the kill stealing phase has begun.

Light mechs roles can be summed up as scouting, intercepting, and skirmishing.

A scout is exactly what it sounds like, it goes fast and looks for robots. With the new rewards, you make a sweet 2k cbills every time you are the first person to target a robot. So mash R a lot while running around. Once you've spotted things, tell people. Information is what you communicate, and communication is, after all, key.

Intercepting means responding to other lights and scouts. If you see them, chase them off. If someone says "there's a loving firestarter on me," generally just running straight at that light will chase it off. This allows your heavier teammates to keep doing poo poo that matters without having to swat flies.

Skirmishing takes two forms, which is brawling and harassing. Harassing is the much more important form for lights. In this activity, you'll pop out behind the enemy and shoot them in the butt until they turn around, at which point you'll get the gently caress out of dodge. During a big brawl, if you can get a couple enemy robots to turn around, you can literally win the day without even doing meaningful damage. With that firepower focused on you, or, in the best scenario, chasing you fruitlessly across the map, it isn't shooting the vanguard of our company as it pushes.

That sounds like a lot of words about autistic nerd poo poo, can't I just shoot robots?

The Basics of Lights

You're gonna get rocked if you try to be a hero, kill poo poo, whatever, early on, but there are some things that can help. First, go fast. You range from having paper armor to tinfoil armor, but not much more than that. Your defense is that you can outpace everyone except other lights in a straightaway, and it's easier to reposition yourselves. Do not always just run away though! Some mechs literally cannot shoot you if you close the gap. Not long ago, I ran up to a Banshee in a FS9-A and he couldn't shoot back as I opened him up. (I ended up killing their last 5 dudes solo, it was sick). Basically, consider going fast as your second defense, with your main defense being timing, waiting until other mechs are engaged or preoccupied.

Second, aim your shots. This really, really matters. Indiscriminately spraying damage is great when you're flying by, but once you've committed to fighting a dude, you want to be methodical. You don't have twin gauss and 4 PPCs to blast a dude apart, you alpha for 20, so punch the same spot. On mastered mechs, I usually use Fast Target Acquisition because it brings up targeting info fast. And on that note, never not hit R. Compulsively hit R every time you see new robots, every time a robot you're killing dies, or just periodically if you don't have a specific target. If you are in combat and you don't have a target you are wrong and bad.

Related, prioritize your targets. Lights pack a lot less weaponry than bigger robots. If a target is completely fresh, and you're alone, you can expect to maybe kill it if it's stupid as gently caress and gives you its back for 4-5 vollies. More realistically, you can maybe take a leg on a stupidly designed heavy or assault, or you can maybe take shoulders. Truth is, you don't punch out enough damage to solo poo poo unless it is truly solo - if you catch a lone WarHawk you can probably kill that in a good light, but you'll use up all your ammo if you have ammo (missile robits like Huginns, Oxides) or you'll spend a ton of time with lasers. You should aim for open torsos or red armor. If it's an open torso, use MGs, if it's a red armor, strip that poo poo then use MGs. Which relates to . . .

MGs are good now! I know you remember them being bad, or think they might be stupid, but each projectile has a chance to crit. These things fuckin' wreck open torsos. So, a good thing to consider is packing a fair bit of punch to strip armor, then opening up the MG firehose. This is the secret to Embers being the Primo poo poo. This is why the Huginn is a Decent Robot despite not having a single energy hardpoint.

Edit to Add: SHOOTING BUTTS IS REAL. When I say shoot butts in this guide, I mean really shoot butts. Shooting a butt will put damage on the front CT because magic. Since during a brawl your brawler teammates will be shooting front-CT, this is good because it continues to concentrate damage in one spot, on the front . . . from behind. Like a reacharound. :aaaaa:

So this leaves us with three principles:
1) Go fast.
2) Aim your shots.
3) Prioritize your targets.

How do I put out insane damage scores like the great masters?

My damage score is usually half of that of ModPud or Ohsh, but the general idea in casual play is that if you pluck torsos off you get tons of damage points, and you should always shoot weak components off if you get a spare shot and the dude isn't about to die. ModPud particularly has mastered harassment, he plucks components and fucks dudes up once the battle has started while people are paying attention to other things. This is a really important strategy, and falls under the Harassment tree. This is also how VariousCheeses' LPL2ML Raven used to own (the timings are off sync now, RIP). Ohsh does his with just being a savant at running through the battlefield. Scientists will probably have to autopsy his brain to discover his actual secrets.

Basically, though, insane damage comes from prioritizing targets.

"Advanced" poo poo lol

Piloting lights is basically that: don't engage until the brawl has commenced or the battle has started, shoot weak poo poo like a predator picking the sick and dying out of a crowd, chase other lights off your dudes until they're the last ones left or just run them down like dogs. However, there are more complicated ways to think about that can bring your game NEXT LEVEL. Most of this is learned by experience, but I will elaborate on a few points that come to mind.

First, while most people don't think much of lights, they really can turn the game around, but often this involves selfless sacrifice. Generally, good intel early on wins matches, so for Serious Business, consider packing UAVs. Drop these as close to the enemy as you safely can without being spotted, or along paths you know the enemy is likely to take. In pubs and non-serious drops I see lights basically brazenly running through the enemy group and making GBS threads a UAV in the middle of them, but I am not sure this is good doctrine for CW. CW comes with rewards better than individual money rewards, for us, the return to our ancestral homeland of Butte Hold, for the pubs, dumb canon sperg poo poo. So people will probably be playing harder and more cautiously in CW. First, this means that they will be expecting UAVs, so they'll know what's up if you do a run through. Secondly, you will probably get hosed up if this happens, and even if you survive you won't have been able to do much because a run-through before the brawl commences means you'll be shooting fresh robots and doing inconsequential damage, rather than shooting hosed up robots and doing critical damage.

Timing is everything. Your best defense is timing, not speed. Speed is how you use timing, but speed alone will just get you killed faster. There are techniques to making speed work better, such as jumpjet hopping and jumpjet turning, which can make straight up running away much more survivable, but generally speaking running at an angle to an enemy and jumpjetting over an obstacle to break line of sight is going to be better than zigzag running. Your real defense is not being spotted or targeted until the battle has commenced. This does not mean hanging back with the blob, unless you're a particularly brawly build that will get eaten alive by other lights (Oxides, Huginns). Rather, be sneaky, use lots of cover, plant strategic UAVs, and make yourself known at the right time.

What is the right time? Coordinate with your main blob. Light doctrine is different than standard goon doctrine, but it works together really well. Standard goon doctrine is traditionally the deathblob brawl. It's less about the deathblob, and more about the brawl - goons like a short range, high damage game. Goons like to close the gap and punch each other. For goons, this is a rockemsockem robot simulator, not a sniper robot simulator. For obvious reasons, this is difficult for lights to participate in directly, however, there are two ways to work well, and this is where timing comes in.

Depending on the map, the position of your team, and so on, lights want to hit either just before or just after the brawl commences. Hitting just before the brawl commences is harder to coordinate, but potentially much more game changing. The idea here is to distract and turn the enemy, steal a kill or two if possible, but not really to get kills or even really do damage. Often, the blob will form up in a way that there are two deathblobs facing one another, but around a corner or on opposite sides of a hill or ridge. Generally, if these two blobs run into one another, it's going to be down to the catherders on each team who wins - good focusing on primaries, and good decisions on primaries, will determine who goes down first. Lights can change this game by turning or scattering the blob. This happens with concentrated strikes on a run through, and high risk, high reward suicide circles.

The suicide circle is a technique where lights pick out their weaker or more important target in the middle of a blob, lock the throttle on high, and start circling and shooting. It's similar to the suicide shuttle, which is where you run through the blob hitting loving anything you can once or twice as it zips by. Both of these work, but the circle is better for "real" combat for two reasons: 1) you have chosen a primary that you will gently caress up. If you know who the commander is on the other team this is awesome because you can distract him during the push. If you don't, but you shoot a heavy hitting brawler, you take a heavy hitting brawler out of the fight for a moment at least. At the moment when you know all eyes are on you, your team crests the hill or rounds the turn and starts loving poo poo Up. With the red team busy trying to swat flies, the main force will get to smack one or two dudes with very little return fire. A good company commander can point the pain train at the heaviest dudes on the other team, clear them out, and then the roflstomp is on.

Chances are, you will die. You may not even get much damage or assists. That's okay, that's what pub matches in the solo queue are for. For CW, you have done a much better job of securing our glorious march to Butte Hold by allowing us to stomp some dudes. Your service will always be remembered.

The second, easier for us but not as game changing, time to hit is just after the blob strikes. In this scenario, your dudes have rounded the corner and run face first into the enemy. Now your goal is to steal every possible kill. The reason for this is simple, but the benefits are enormous: the faster a dude dies, the quicker you can move on. The quicker you move on, the faster another dude dies. Lights pack weapons that make for great finishers: namely, machine guns and point damage you can focus on bright red poo poo to turn it into no poo poo. Once a brawl starts, the catherder will be naming "primaries." You want to be watching those primaries and machinegunning or shooting the bright red bits as it shows up. If you have a good swarm of lights, you can actually let the command dude know that you're on it and allow him to switch primary just before it's killed. You can also work to neuter the assaults and heavies by plucking off arms and torsos, or by plucking off legs. Do this whenever you can by shooting things like direwolfs from the profile side. This forces them to either turn to face you or lose the torso. DWFs, STKs, and other big assaults cannot torso twist enough to take their profile away from you, so you can always be hitting the same point, and that is perfect. Atlases can torso twist enough, but that just reveals their meaty rear torsos, so that's fine too.

In this scenario, you can finish the fight faster and help the blob, and you can get mad kills and damage, but your role is not as definitive.

In either scenario, have a light or two designated to work as interceptors. Better interceptors are lights with lasers, as SRMs are unreliable in light on light skirmishes. FS9-As and JR7-Fs make the best interceptors in the game right now, followed by LCT-3M and -1E, and then other poo poo. Huginns and Oxides, which are the brawliest lights, make the worst interceptors, because SRMs can be hard to lead and they lack the point damage to wreck a leg or CT on a fast running light.

Brawl-Blocking

If you are a good dude and ready to sacrifice the body, another thing you can do in a light is stand directly behind big assaults while shooting their butts. Faced with a push, 9/10 dudes jam on the reverse. If you stand directly behind them, they can't go backwards, and this confuses the gently caress out of them and lets our dudes shoot them a lot. It also lets you shoot them in the butt. If the other team sees you they will destroy you immediately because you're standing still and a free kill, so you have to do this wisely, again, timing is crucial. You can also do this to other dudes who are advancing to slow their advance, especially in a Locust or Jenner or other small profile things, or against extra tall robots with high mounted guns like Banshees, Jagermechs, and Shadowhawks. However, if you stand in front of a dude to stop them, know that they WILL just try to go around you, and also that you will have your back to your own dudes who will probably friendly fire you with SRMs.

SIPDE
My universal algorithm for how to light mech can also be broken down into the "defensive driving" tactics taught to emergency vehicle operators and I think in some driver schools? But with some alterations. The acronym is SIPDE:

Scan for robots to shoot at. Alternatively, Scout for the enemy.
Identify the best robot to shoot. Identify the enemies you've scouted to the catherder.
Predict how likely this dude is to gently caress up your poo poo. How likely are you to gently caress up it's poo poo? Where can you run away to esape?
Decide whether the time is right to gently caress up its poo poo. Is this a good time to die, or are you wasting tonnage? Do you have a plan for bailing out if your poo poo gets hosed?
Execute your plan, by attacking, strafing, whatever. Bail out as necessary.

Repeat.

Scouting
When scouting, it's best to give as much information as possible for as little risk as possible. I know this is detestable, but consider using third person while just under ridges, as it lets you see a little more while exposing a lot less. Toggle back to first person when combat starts though 3rd person sucks for precision aiming.

Give all the information you can to the group leader.

Pertinent information includes:
1) Where are you going? Tell the dude where you're going. Scouting is the only time it's a good idea to be out alone in a light. Bring an accountabilibuddy everywhere else, but scouting you should fly solo.

2) What do you see? Once you've spotted something, give as much information as you can about the actual things you see. If you can get a lock, the best format is target ID, robot type, location. So for example, you're on Caustic and you run out to the D4 ledge. You pop over and quickly get a lock on a DWF coming up C3. Your report might go like "Delta, Direwolf, C3."

A lot of times though, you can't get a lock either because it's out of range or because there's ECM or whatever. In that case, more detail is still better. In the same scenario, let's say you see a bunch of robots. Maybe there are 3 Stormcrows, 2 Kitfoxes, 2 Timberwolves, and 2 Direwolves trailing. Chances are good you're not going to get those numbers, you ain't got time. If you can do that exactly, that's great though! So wait a second to think about what you're going to tell your team. Again, timing is the key here. It is way more useful to tell a dude "hey there are 2 direwolves and 3 timberwolves just below the bottom of the hill" versus "OH poo poo LOTS C3" if the blob is still forming up. If however they are pushing to crest and poo poo's about to go down, it's not at all useful to say "hey there are 2 direwolves and 3 timberwolves loving your poo poo up right now." So basically, slow down for a second, and assess what is useful. More detail is good early on, but it's too much to be talking about specific bullshit once the catherding has started. And once the brawl has commenced you want to limit comms to only essential details, because dudes need to be able to hear their primaries. It doesn't matter if you see a firestarter. Go fuckin' shoot it, the blob doesn't care. Lights might care, so maybe a message like "lights, firestarter India" but keep it short.

3) Where is it going? Once you see some poo poo, where is it going? Direction is good, location is good, ETA is best. If you can say "hey there's some DWFs in G2" that's useful, if you can say "and they're heading up the 2 line" that's better, "and they'll probably be to your location in 3 hours" that's best.

TL;DR: Fast mechs, calm minds. Enter the meditative samadhi of light robots. Own everyone with the top shelf owns. Most importantly, be prepared to sacrifice yourself in order to turn a blob, the road to Butte Hold will be built on the corpses of our enemies, and the corpses of our enemies will sometimes be built on the corpses of our light pilots. Sometimes, it is best that a locust must die so an Atlas can punch a dick so hard it pops. It's all good, if ever you lose faith, recite the mantra of light robots: HOLD ONTO YOUR BUTTS, and remind yourself of the greater goal.

Editing to add:

Light Mech Dossier by Role:

Scouts: Every light mech is a scout. The best however are probably Spiders with ECM and JJs. Second would be Ravens, and third would be Locusts. Locusts make great scouts because they go fast as the dickens, and the Pirate's Bane might be a contender for all around best scout with ECM at 170kph, however, do not bring a light mech for scouting only because scouting only lasts for the first 2 minutes.

Interceptors:
Bad: Oxide (no JJs, harder to aim)
Eh: Huginn (JJs, but poo poo weapons for lights, wastes too much ammo)
Good: Locust-3M, Locust-1E, Locust-PB, Spiders with lasers, Ravens with lasers
Better: Jenner-D, Ember
Best: Firestarter-A, Jenner-F

Skirmishers:
Bad: Commandos and Spiders and poo poo. They are great for harassing but they lack the staying power of 35 ton lights, and can't dump much damage.
Eh: Locusts. They have a decent alpha and can get into a brawl but they have tinfoil armor and die if a Stormcrow even looks at them from like 20 miles away.
Good: Oxide. Pretty much the only thing it's good for. Still not very good.
Better: Firestarter-A, Jenner-F, Huginn (this is a great brawler but the lack of lasers means it can't be a best since it's ammo limited unless the pilot owns)
Best: Ember, Jenner-D, Huginn with a good pilot, Nevermore (Raven-3L with SRM10 and 3ML)

Harassers
Bad: Oxide (lacks range and JJs for escapes)
Eh: Locust-1V (you'd better not bring this thing in CW gently caress you 1ERLL is poo poo)
Good: Jenner-D, Ember, Huginn, Nevermore, Locusts but you have to do lots of hit and run and have your poo poo together on how to bail out
Better: Firestarter-A, Jenner-F, Locusts maybe with a good pilot who knows what's up
Best: Raven-3L with 2ERLL, Raven-3L with the LPL2ML, Commandos/Spiders with large lasers or w/e that can gently caress poo poo up from far away but can also be immortal in close quarters due to hitboxes

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Dec 10, 2014

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Its that time. New OP time. Especially reading that last post and CW being so close.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Kazvall posted:

Its that time. New OP time. Especially reading that last post and CW being so close.

Now if only someone could put together a good effort post on piloting mediums, heavies and (especially) assaults.

I fuckin love assaults.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Baudin posted:

Now if only someone could put together a good effort post on piloting mediums, heavies and (especially) assaults.

I fuckin love assaults.

Assault guide in the present state of the game:

Lol, you're going to get murdered by clan heavies you slow coach, get dead.

(I love assaults but they're not in a great place I don't think)

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

Assault guide in the present state of the game:

Lol, you're going to get murdered by clan heavies you slow coach, get dead.

(I love assaults but they're not in a great place I don't think)

This is technically not true - as long as you let the heavies go first into the breach to die in your stead. Also notable are the pinpoint "brawler" builds like the two gauss/two ppc crab build, or the two er ppc/ two cgauss build on the dire wolf. They just core out whatever they shoot at which is pretty awesome.

e: I'm a firm believer in letting something faster than you move into combat first - as an assault you can't torso twist or move out of the way. Your quick death does nothing for the team, but getting into position to take out a mech fast makes a huge difference. Especially if you can get a nice headshot :getin:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Baudin posted:

This is technically not true - as long as you let the heavies go first into the breach to die in your stead. Also notable are the pinpoint "brawler" builds like the two gauss/two ppc crab build, or the two er ppc/ two cgauss build on the dire wolf. They just core out whatever they shoot at which is pretty awesome.

Can you fit that lot on a Crab and still get a 350 engine in there? Because otherwise you're going to be at Dire Wolf speed and without as much weaponry and armour and you're going to be a prime target for those pesky Firestarters, and your big flat top is going to eat LRMs until you die.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Kazvall posted:

I agree because every single time PGI has released a major new feature there has been a huge poo poo storm over how broken it is and I would love for that to be at the beginning of a new thread.

Get people started on the right track.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

No that won't fly with a std 350. With a 350 you can fit two ac20's and enough ammo for the guns and ams but that is about it.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

Can you fit that lot on a Crab and still get a 350 engine in there? Because otherwise you're going to be at Dire Wolf speed and without as much weaponry and armour and you're going to be a prime target for those pesky Firestarters, and your big flat top is going to eat LRMs until you die.

I use an XL engine. It doesn't cause me problems in this thing because inevitably I get cored out before my side torsos go. http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=237&l=9d41b8538ad9c54c16e5b3acc3f6229dec84ada6

Plus, as I mentioned before I don't like going first into combat - sitting at about 250m and coring robits is fun.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Baudin posted:

I use an XL engine. It doesn't cause me problems in this thing because inevitably I get cored out before my side torsos go. http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=237&l=9d41b8538ad9c54c16e5b3acc3f6229dec84ada6

Plus, as I mentioned before I don't like going first into combat - sitting at about 250m and coring robits is fun.

XL in an assault :stare:

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Assaults are in a pretty drat good place. Been taking out DWs and TWs like candy in my UAC5 KC.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

XL in an assault :stare:

Yes, I know. It works, don't ask questions :unsmith:

That's literally the build I ended the night with yesterday and it got me a shitton of kills.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Baudin posted:

Yes, I know. It works, don't ask questions :unsmith:

As long as you don't get flanked, it works pretty well. I'm on the fence, but I'm about to try a 4 x uac5 build with an XL350.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
I have an op written up, do we talk to a mod or the op of this thread to get this one closed?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Kazvall posted:

Assaults are in a pretty drat good place. Been taking out DWs and TWs like candy in my UAC5 KC.

Counterpoint - I killed one crab and heavily damaged another in a trebuchet. A TREBUCHET.

OB_Juan posted:

I have an op written up, do we talk to a mod or the op of this thread to get this one closed?

The OP hasn't been around in ages I don't think, so probably go for a mod.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Really if you just post the link to the new thread everyone will migrate over and this one will fall down the list so it's really not necessary to go through the trouble of getting a mod involved.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

Counterpoint - I killed one crab and heavily damaged another in a trebuchet. A TREBUCHET.

Lrms ruin assaults, especially dumb ones. Actually anything ruins dumb assaults so...

Yea. Go assault if you want to perennially disappoint your team! I know I do!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
Guide to playing medium mechs:

Buy A Stormcrow

Fin.

• Locked thread