Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Pththya-lyi posted:

Eh, I can forgive that - it's a dance game, it's supposed to be light and silly. All the really terrible stuff in the EU comes from stupid stuff being presented as deadly serious and dramatic.

Oh, I just remembered the thing I hate most in the EU - the way that Karen Traviss glories in the deaths of Jedi. In a book set during Order 66, she kills off a protagonist who comes across a clone trooper confronting a bunch of padawans (i.e. teenage Jedi). She throws herself forward to take the blow for ... the clone trooper. Yes, the genocidal adult soldier deserves more of our sympathy than the children who were taken from their families as infants to be raised in a strict religious group and are now defending themselves from being genocided. :argh:

The clones were younger than the padawans though since they were pre-teen slaves who had greatly diminished life spans due to forced aging. Denied childhoods and forced into a life of slavery and war by a group of strict religious fanatics and they'd be murdered if they failed their loyalty tests to the Republic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
The clones were just a different kind of slave. Order 66 was literally ingrained into their subconsciousness, and even though they showed regret there wasn't much they could do about it. Technically this isn't an EU thing since that was in Revenge of the Sith and was like one of the only good parts of the prequels.

uhhhh I mean star wars is piss for nerds

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

gohuskies posted:

Kreia can come off a little South Park sometimes - both sides suck! - but if you read the game as a whole, it tells a bit more of a story.

The worst EU content absolutely must be the kinect dance game - check out their take on the ROTJ Death Star II throne room confrontation. Watch for the emperor's intro around 2:00 in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84YXPw4htnQ

Edit: the emperor's unblinking stare is kind of out there

do those red emperor guard guys get the EU 'i'm a super bad rear end and connected to everything' treatment?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

ThePutty posted:

do those red emperor guard guys get the EU 'i'm a super bad rear end and connected to everything' treatment?

they do which is why one of the few good things about the prequels is where they have their one chance to shine in some ~SCREEN CANON~ (when yoda rolls up on the emperor in the council chamber or whatever) and just eat poo poo like chumps without even getting a swing on the little dude.

then they ruin it by having yoda be a great warrior made great by war with all the flipping lightsaber frog poo poo

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

david... posted:

how does the eu explain why lightsabers aren't infinitely long, how do you stop them and make them come to a rounded point, those claws are ok but i want one on each finger, 20 ft laser fingers and thumbs just waving their hands over a battlefield

I remember reading or being told that the "blade" is actually a tube-shaped forcefield in which the lightbeam bends/reflects at the top and comes full circle back to the crystal or something.
That forcefield also seems to be the reason they need to push a blade of light through something instead of effortlessly placing the hilt at a surface and have the blade extend itself through the material.

Like, you know, a laser-sword would actually work.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I remember reading or being told that the "blade" is actually a tube-shaped forcefield in which the lightbeam bends/reflects at the top and comes full circle back to the crystal or something.
That forcefield also seems to be the reason they need to push a blade of light through something instead of effortlessly placing the hilt at a surface and have the blade extend itself through the material.

Like, you know, a laser-sword would actually work.

An actual laser sword would just heat things up for a while until they maybe melt

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Improbable Lobster posted:

An actual laser sword would just heat things up for a while until they maybe melt

Exactly.
It would geat up/melt things in a straight line, without the need to press the hilt against, letst say, a blast door.
Because light has no mass that you need to shove through material.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Exactly.
It would geat up/melt things in a straight line, without the need to press the hilt against, letst say, a blast door.
Because light has no mass that you need to shove through material.

That would be really loving boring though

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Yolomon Wayne posted:

2 Jedi 1 Sith.

:vince:

this post is not getting enough appreciation

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
What is that man doing to his lightsaber?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Milky Moor posted:

in the prequels

i should have specified the OT

Any thinking man knows the prequels are EU so you shouldn't have had to clarify.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Disney might exert a modicum of control and consistency though

Very droll.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter.

*draws blood to check for special cells*

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Ivor Biggun posted:

The EU will be back, and in greater numbers.

The EU always rides single-file, though, to hide its numbers.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

SunAndSpring posted:

I like how one of the Sith Lords is just Darth Bane. Like, they didn't even do anything to disguise it like they did with Darth Vader, Darth Sidious, Darth Nihlus, or Sav'aj O'press. They just threw their hands up in the air and said, "He's the bane of the Jedi. Darth Bane. We're loving done here."

He's the Bane of the Sith. Because he killed all the others.

:spergin:

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Im honestly amazed there is no Darth Death.

Or is there?
Tell me there isnt.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

homullus posted:

The EU always rides single-file, though, to hide its numbers.

Set up a machine gun and mow them down.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Disney might exert a modicum of control and consistency though

How often do you think New EU authors are going to try and re-integrate Old EU content into it?

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Nucleic Acids posted:

How often do you think New EU authors are going to try and re-integrate Old EU content into it?

I bet disney hired lucas' old lore master to make sure that doesn't happen. They just gave him and office and ask him a quick question and if he starts talking non stop like a wookiepedia article they cut it from the potential EU.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Nucleic Acids posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if quite a bit of the EU makes it into the new canon. I mean, think about it, they have access to probably thousands of different Star Wars stories that have already been proven popular or not. I'd be taking elements out of the EU constantly and putting my own spin on them.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

dog buttz posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if quite a bit of the EU makes it into the new canon. I mean, think about it, they have access to probably thousands of different Star Wars stories that have already been proven popular or not. I'd be taking elements out of the EU constantly and putting my own spin on them.

this is the same way cheap jews write every movie script, just copy paste change a name or two and maybe the set.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

TOILETLORD posted:

this is the same way cheap jews write every movie script, just copy paste change a name or two and maybe the set.

"Well what if Jason Statham fights even MORE bad guys?"

"That's dumb. Let's do it"

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

dog buttz posted:

"Well what if jean klaude van damne fights even MORE bad guys?"

"That's dumb. Let's do it"

some times it works.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

It was prophesied that George Lucas' sale of Star Wars would restore balance to the EU.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

homullus posted:

It was prophesied that George Lucas' sale of Star Wars would restore balance to the EU.

i can't wait till we start seeing EU books going for millions of dollars after they go out of print for to long.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

TOILETLORD posted:

i can't wait till we start seeing EU books going for millions of dollars after they go out of print for to long.

I can't wait until we start seeing EU books with some quality control.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

homullus posted:

I can't wait until we start seeing EU books with some quality control.

none, is some quality control.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

SunAndSpring posted:

I like how one of the Sith Lords is just Darth Bane. Like, they didn't even do anything to disguise it like they did with Darth Vader, Darth Sidious, Darth Nihlus, or Sav'aj O'press. They just threw their hands up in the air and said, "He's the bane of the Jedi. Darth Bane. We're loving done here."

is cad bane a different character than darth bane
is one of them the bane from the batman movie

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

There is no quality control because the premise of the EU is stupid. Star Wars isn't droids and lightsabers and the Force it's Han and Luke and Vader, etc and the specific story of the Original Trilogy. It's why the sequels are probably going to be mediocre at best because Disney is planning to release spin off movies and poo poo which is entirely missing the point.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Acne Rain posted:

is cad bane a different character than darth bane
is one of them the bane from the batman movie

cad bane is a bounty hunter and for a short time the best bounty hunter in the galaxy.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

TOILETLORD posted:

i hope so because i have pretty much every eu book from teh 70s until 2005 or so sitting in boxes in my basement

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fetus Tree posted:

i hope so because i have pretty much every eu book from teh 70s until 2005 or so sitting in boxes in my basement

I thought they were just to continue publication them all with a big "Legends" banner on the front and a notice on the back.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Wedding picture from when she got hitched with Paul Simon.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

pentyne posted:

I thought they were just to continue publication them all with a big "Legends" banner on the front and a notice on the back.

idk, my discussion and knowledge of SW eu these days is limited to the 3-4 GBS threads running at any time abt star wars

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I still think dumbest EU thing is the hellraisers from outside the Force that killed trillions of people 'cause that's about as unstarwars as it gets.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

There are nerds who really would buy the old books at highly inflated prices because they are "purer". You'd just have to go out of your way to burn the massive amounts of vintage EU poo poo so that your crap becomes more valuable.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

heres a drawing of princess leia kicking something called prince xixor in the dick

i believe this is the only part of the eu that is still canon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

• Locked thread