Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I said something along these lines earlier in this thread, but it bears noting that - and this is a large part of why I had such a hard time swallowing the use of Inhumans here, and ended up making an rear end of myself - whatever this show ends up doing with Inhumans will be pretty radically different from just about anything that's been done with them in the comics, simply because the elements that pretty much every Inhumans story ever has revolved around - Attilan and the Royal Family characters - are off-limits. Even the recent Inhumanity status quo that SHIELD is taking inspiration from is very much about defining the new Inhumans characters in relation to the classic ones, and that's not an option here. So I guess I'm both very curious and concerned about what new context the writers come up with to justify the use of the concept; hopefully it's not too blatantly similar to 616 mutants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Phylodox posted:

430 posts overnight. Expectations were very high. I was not disappointed.

The Flash thread currently has 334 posts.

Expectations are very high.

I hope I'm not disappointed.

:ohdear:

You won't be.

I'm loving how well comic book TV is doing, it seems to be so much better than most TV out there now. Hell, I couldn't even watch the last to seasons of SOA they were so bad.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Hakkesshu posted:

This is a weird complaint. Comics Hyde is a pretty dumb loving character to begin with, and them putting Kyle McLachlan in a muscle suit or CGI'ing him up would add nothing unless they had a movie-sized budget. And while the thought of someone trying to recreate League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Hyde in a TV show is very funny what they're doing is a significantly more elegant solution.

I think MCU Calvin works better as what has seemed so far; an ordinary human with extraordinary strength, extraordinary familiarity with inhumans and an extraordinary lack of self-control. Not every villain needs to be physically abnormal.

Besides, if they are going to allot budget to showing someone hulk the gently caress out, I'd rather they spend it on the actual Hulk.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 10, 2014

halwain
May 31, 2011
Was the guy with the covered eyes someone from the comics ?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

halwain posted:

Was the guy with the covered eyes someone from the comics ?

Maybe. Speculation is he's a relatively new character named the Reader.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Codependent Poster posted:

Maybe. Speculation is he's a relatively new character named the Reader.

I noticed on the second viewing he starts his scene carrying around a book. I mean, sure, small detail, but I think you gotta take those small details and run with them in this show. It's not like the actor just happened to carry that book onto the set from his trailer, it was intentionally written into the scene.

So far four things we know about the guy are: Probably Inhuman - Interested in new Inhumans and taking care of them - No eyes - Association with reading.

So yeah, probably the Reader. People know now to take even the tiniest clue as intentional now, like Ward's odd self-awareness about himself when he did that self-impression in S1. They're gonna have to work really hard to intentionally trick us if they want to foreshadow something and have it still come as a surprise.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Rocksicles posted:

Can we take a moment to appreciate Coulsons judo skills

Hell yes. His takedown was great.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Pander posted:

Hell yes. His takedown was great.

That was such an excellent fight, this show has such great choreography. The leg-head-grab was great, but then also Cal just picked him up like a loving beast and slammed him. And when he was wailing on him it just looked so brutal, probably some great foley work there that I didn't particularly notice at the time.

Was that the only big fight set piece in this episode?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah i think it was. Other than Coulson getting thrown a bunch by AttackMack

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Hakkesshu posted:

This is a weird complaint. Comics Hyde is a pretty dumb loving character to begin with,

I just looked up Hyde's origin in the comics and it certainly isn't great. Although I think its funny that he's the first villain I've seen whose initial motivation was getting his revenge on...mild mannered surgeon Donald Blake. Not Thor, but Dr. Donald Blake, because he turned him down for a job at some point. And he initially had no idea that his revenge target happened to be able to transform into the God of Thunder. Pretty unlucky break there.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Kyle MacLachlan is tearing that role to pieces I'm not sure why you would want CGI transformations and poo poo when it would take away from the work Agent Cooper was doing. The way the show has done it is great.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

mikeraskol posted:

Kyle MacLachlan is tearing that role to pieces I'm not sure why you would want CGI transformations and poo poo when it would take away from the work Agent Cooper was doing. The way the show has done it is great.

Agreed. Getting angry about Hyde not visibly transforming is a pretty stupid case of wanting something to be like the comics for the sake of it being like the comics, no matter how good or bad the decision is in the context of the show.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Is there a Poison Ivy like Marvel character? With Raina's obsession with flowers, and what could be thorns sprouting from her skin, maybe she's that. Or she's something new. But I bet those are thorns because of the flower thing.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

XboxPants posted:

Probably not. Alpha Primitives in the comics are not created with the same crystals used for Inhumans, and I don't think they're even really Inhumans, just normal humans exposed to another kind of gas. Raina seemed like she was an actual Kree-modified Inhuman, just not activated. Alpha Primitives are just simple slaves, while Raina looked like a weird monster. Turning into a weird monster is actually pretty common for Inhumans, it's a big risk.

Mack was more like an Alpha Primitive.

Monster is really the wrong word to use, the Inhumans who change physically don't consider themselves monsters, and i am pretty sure that neither will Raina.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Kruller posted:

Is there a Poison Ivy like Marvel character? With Raina's obsession with flowers, and what could be thorns sprouting from her skin, maybe she's that. Or she's something new. But I bet those are thorns because of the flower thing.

The closest I think is Madame Hydra (also known as Viper) who is a superhuman with poison powers but she doesn't have a flower theme at all.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
And after that episode Barry Convex still can't just say "I was wrong."

deadicons
Sep 9, 2011

Oasx posted:

Monster is really the wrong word to use, the Inhumans who change physically don't consider themselves monsters, and i am pretty sure that neither will Raina.

Didn't she all ready consider herself a monster before the change?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Okay so watching s02e08 and not really liking how they tied up the whole Grant and his brother thing. Grant being totally in the right and Christian being the evil one seems way too lenient on Grant IMO.

e: Okay, got to the end of the ep :stare: Yeah I feel vindicated that this show was smart enough to keep Ward as a stone-cold psycho.

e2: Oh poo poo I didn't pick up on that woman being Skye's mother. Where do I recognize her from, goddamn.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 10, 2014

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dollhouse, Last Resort, The 100.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
That final scene had some movie-level CG. I know that they don't have the budget to do that kind of stuff every week, but it was really well done.

Considering that Agent Carter is ~10 episodes and all of the Netflix shows seem to be planned for ~10 episodes, that seems to be the average length Marvel is sticking with for their shows going forward. It allows them to do what Heroes tried to do - break up every 10-15 episodes into discrete volumes. Unlike Heroes, it actually has a wealth of storylines and characters to draw upon.

I hope that we get a build-up to Civil War on the back half of next season, giving RDJ an opportunity to get his cameo or, I can dream, multi-episode arc. With the Netflix shows, Skye's transformation to Quake, and the introduction of other tertiary Inhuman characters in SHIELD, it seems like Marvel is starting to populate the world with superheroes other than the Avengers.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Emerson Cod posted:

That final scene had some movie-level CG. I know that they don't have the budget to do that kind of stuff every week, but it was really well done.

Considering that Agent Carter is ~10 episodes and all of the Netflix shows seem to be planned for ~10 episodes, that seems to be the average length Marvel is sticking with for their shows going forward. It allows them to do what Heroes tried to do - break up every 10-15 episodes into discrete volumes. Unlike Heroes, it actually has a wealth of storylines and characters to draw upon.

I hope that we get a build-up to Civil War on the back half of next season, giving RDJ an opportunity to get his cameo or, I can dream, multi-episode arc. With the Netflix shows, Skye's transformation to Quake, and the introduction of other tertiary Inhuman characters in SHIELD, it seems like Marvel is starting to populate the world with superheroes other than the Avengers.

What you would have to pay RDJ would probably cost as much as like what half a season costs.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So Skye is Daisy, and Raina, the flower dress girl, is now covered in thorns. is there an inhuman named Rose?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Skye's transformation could've been in the intro for Teen Wolf.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Kruller posted:

We could only hope for a Princess Python and the Circus of Crime appearance.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

ashpanash posted:

...then it's very likely we'll see the city + Inhumans stuff this year in the show. We won't have to wait till 2018 or whatever.

mikeraskol posted:

Wow, that is some hardcore speculation.

e X posted:

They will never put important information for a movie in the show.

I like me some hardcore speculation sometimes. Kinda cool that I was right, though it was at best a slightly educated guess.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 10, 2014

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Well, no Terrigen Bomb, but we do have Inhumans who apparently know what they are looking for more. The other thing I found interesting, that they didn't explicitly touch on, is that Skye's mother must have had contact with other Inhumans before she died. It's been established that just touching the diviner doesn't activate new Inhumans, so Skye's mother must have been exposed to the mists at some point, which coincides nicely with a group of Inhumans that actively go out looking for others of their kind (and apparently activate them).

I'm sure we're not done with Mr. Hyde, and I'm reasonably sure he's got powers. I mean, he was batshit crazy, but he was also singularly unconcerned about being shot. Couple that with him manhandling Coulson, who's a well trained combatant, and you've got to wonder if he hasn't been experimenting on himself for a while. No visible transformation, obviously, and he doesn't really do anything really super, but they seem to hint at there being something more to him.

On another note, I'm not sure why people get so hung up on the MCU following the comics. There's a long tradition of multiple universes where things are similar, but different (sometimes wildly so). So far the MCU has been recognizable, but not slavishly following any established Marvel universe. I far prefer them to borrow characters and ideas from the comics and put new spins on them; like Daisy and Calvin, which worked out very well. MCU Hyde is superficially similar to 616 Hyde, but a much more interesting character because of his motivations. The Inhuman storyline doesn't have to be exactly like 616, in fact, it would be dumb to try and mimic the comics too much, since TV/Film is very different medium.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Dexo posted:

What you would have to pay RDJ would probably cost as much as like what half a season costs.

Eh, sometimes actors do cameos or guest spots for base rate as either a favor, cause they like a thing, or just to cultivate their fans. Not saying RDJ would, but I wouldn't be surprised, if something was convenient for his schedule and he was having a good day when someone asked.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

AbsolutelySane posted:

I'm sure we're not done with Mr. Hyde, and I'm reasonably sure he's got powers. I mean, he was batshit crazy, but he was also singularly unconcerned about being shot. Couple that with him manhandling Coulson, who's a well trained combatant, and you've got to wonder if he hasn't been experimenting on himself for a while. No visible transformation, obviously, and he doesn't really do anything really super, but they seem to hint at there being something more to him.

You're probably right, if we follow the same kind of shaky-seeming clues that have paid off in the past. Hasn't he killed whole roomfulls of guys, singlehandedly? Maybe Ward could pull that off but this guy's supposed to be some kind of random surgeon and we've yet to see anything to indicate he has any kind of combat training or skills.

It's also probably worth remembering that they've set a precedent that normal humans can imbue themselves with powers by experimenting with Inhuman biology. He wouldn't have to vivisect someone necessarily; a blood or bone marrow transfusion may be enough for something mild. Hell, maybe he even took a transfusion from a Black-Eyed Mack type, someone who tried to invade a Kree city.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

RDJ did mention in a reddit AMA that he'd like to do a guest spot in Agents of Shield.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Barry Convex posted:

I said something along these lines earlier in this thread, but it bears noting that - and this is a large part of why I had such a hard time swallowing the use of Inhumans here, and ended up making an rear end of myself - whatever this show ends up doing with Inhumans will be pretty radically different from just about anything that's been done with them in the comics, simply because the elements that pretty much every Inhumans story ever has revolved around - Attilan and the Royal Family characters - are off-limits. Even the recent Inhumanity status quo that SHIELD is taking inspiration from is very much about defining the new Inhumans characters in relation to the classic ones, and that's not an option here. So I guess I'm both very curious and concerned about what new context the writers come up with to justify the use of the concept; hopefully it's not too blatantly similar to 616 mutants.

It is almost breathtaking that after being so wrong in your understanding on what wouldn't be done on the show, you still can't just not wait and see what the people who actually work for Disney and know what they can and cannot do will put into the show.

How about you wait until after the season is over before you make any more predictions about what is off limits?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

ToastyPotato posted:

It is almost breathtaking that after being so wrong in your understanding on what wouldn't be done on the show, you still can't just not wait and see what the people who actually work for Disney and know what they can and cannot do will put into the show.

How about you wait until after the season is over before you make any more predictions about what is off limits?

Alternatively don't and keep entertaining us.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
At least his points are long and drawn out.

He's not an abusive dick, he's just wrong a lot.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Just caught up.

Super bummed about Tripp. He never got to make out with Simmons :[

sigh. when is the next episode? month and months from now, right?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Phylodox posted:

430 posts overnight. Expectations were very high. I was not disappointed.

The Flash thread currently has 334 posts.

Expectations are very high.

I hope I'm not disappointed.

:ohdear:

It's not fair to compare them because the AoS thread is inflated by people mocking Barry Convex. On the other hand, Flash has speed force.

Man it's occurred to me that with Trip gone, we will have lost our source of old school Howling Commando gadgets. :smith:

BlueBayou posted:

sigh. when is the next episode? month and months from now, right?

March

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

ToastyPotato posted:

I don't really think I'm going out on a limb to suggest that the Royal Family will be the leads of the 2018 film, or that Marvel will want to cast bigger-name actors in those roles than anyone they could get to guest on a modestly-rated series.

But okay, if I'm wrong, you can watch me eat crow again. Don't tell me you wouldn't enjoy that!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Xtanstic posted:

Man it's occurred to me that with Trip gone, we will have lost our source of old school Howling Commando gadgets. :smith:

We have a whole miniseries about those.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Aphrodite posted:

We have a whole miniseries about those.

Crazy to look back at a time when S.H.I.E.L.D. existed. RIP.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

I've felt like he's been making the complete backwards conclusion the whole time, and I have to speak up.

If this show matters so goddamn little to the movies, as he suggests, then why is his conclusion that the TV show can't touch on anything that the movies might want to do? Who would even care? The movie-going public doesn't even watch the show. More likely, the show can do whatever the gently caress it wants and it doesn't even loving matter because gently caress Agents of SHIELD.

They're gonna introduce a whole bunch of Inhumans Nerdy Backstory Lore for Nerds, then the movie will come out and explain the entire backstory from scratch without referencing the show much at all, because it has to for the millions of movie-goers who haven't seen the show. Nerdy Nerds like us will push up our glasses and be all "ACTUALLY, INHUMANS HAVE BEEN ON EARTH ALREADY IN SHIELD WHICH IS ALSO ACTUALLY STILL AROUND AND COULSON IS STILL ALIVE BUT YOU WOULDN'T KNOW ANY OF THIS BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT AS BIG A NERD AS I AM :smug:"

And no one will care. He's right, the TV show doesn't matter, but that doesn't mean everything's off limits, it means nothing's off limits.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

XboxPants posted:

And no one will care. He's right, the TV show doesn't matter, but that doesn't mean everything's off limits, it means nothing's off limits.

Confirmed, Koenig is a Doombot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

XboxPants posted:

I've felt like he's been making the complete backwards conclusion the whole time, and I have to speak up.

If this show matters so goddamn little to the movies, as he suggests, then why is his conclusion that the TV show can't touch on anything that the movies might want to do? Who would even care? The movie-going public doesn't even watch the show. More likely, the show can do whatever the gently caress it wants and it doesn't even loving matter because gently caress Agents of SHIELD.

They're gonna introduce a whole bunch of Inhumans Nerdy Backstory Lore for Nerds, then the movie will come out and explain the entire backstory from scratch without referencing the show much at all, because it has to for the millions of movie-goers who haven't seen the show. Nerdy Nerds like us will push up our glasses and be all "ACTUALLY, INHUMANS HAVE BEEN ON EARTH ALREADY IN SHIELD WHICH IS ALSO ACTUALLY STILL AROUND AND COULSON IS STILL ALIVE BUT YOU WOULDN'T KNOW ANY OF THIS BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT AS BIG A NERD AS I AM :smug:"

The people working on the show, as well as the lead producer on the films have stated that there are things that are occasionally off limits to the show and have also stated that the show really is part of the MCU.

The show having limitations on it isn't indicative of it being completely irrelevant, however, as the individual films ALSO have the same story telling limitations placed on them.

• Locked thread