Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

kalstrams posted:

My favourite nationalists are Slavic paganists who complain about Jews giving Slavs fire to wean Slavs from eating raw meat.

Err, didn't that one start as a German joke at the expanse of Slavic neo-Pagans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

my dad posted:

Err, didn't that one start as a German joke at the expanse of Slavic neo-Pagans?
I am not sure, but what I've meant is generally finding Slavic paganists funny with their weird believes and strives to live like their ancestors. "Jews gave them fire" is obvious satire.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
'Jews gave Slavs Christianity to make them easier to control.'

~ An actual thing some pagan nationalists believe.

3peat
May 6, 2010

Uranium smugglers caught in Moldova (you can see the uranium after 1:50)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Puj36l8Yf6A

...and a moldovan rap song :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NDG7gICqaE

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Paladinus posted:

It's funny to me that in America pagans are ultrahippies while in Europe pagans are mostly nazis. International pagan conventions must get awkward.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

The German cursive (Lateinische Ausgangsschrift) I've been taught in school looks like poo poo. Only kids write like that. Deutsche Kurrentschrift looks much better.

Sütterlin is imho worse.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.

Paladinus posted:

Things are happening in Vinnitsa, apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vxFQPJCsTE

Vinnitsa administration building is under siege by people protesting against Poroshenko. 'I didn't vote for him. He is not our president,' says one man. Surprisingly, they are not pro-Russian protesters. Another man says, 'How can we, Cossacks, allow us to be ruled by a Khazar? It's shameful for our Cossack country.'
You can also hear protesters shout things like 'Poroshenko is a dickhead', 'Glory to Ukraine' and 'Glory to the nation'.
Cursory google search reveals that the reason behind protests is a power struggle between Poroshenko (whose people are currently in charge in Vinnitsa) and Timoshenko.

That is getting weird, "Khazaar" is something that Kolomoisky would be a lot more likely to get slurred with.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Guildencrantz posted:

gently caress cursive forever, it's a useless relic. Polish elementary school only teaches looped cursive as the sole "correct" way to write, or at least did in my day (mid-90's). This is utterly merciless to kids with dysgraphia and my handwriting was always a hideous, illegible mess even though I was way ahead on reading skills and had perfect spelling. Writing semi-legibly involved a lot of mental exertion, pain and cramping. Then around 20 I finally got frustrated, as it hosed with my university performance, and used American elementary school books to teach myself print writing. Haven't looked back since. A pen is now an actual functional way to communicate! Amazing!

The Yanks have got it right.

Ahahah, "Khazar"? Dogwhistle for Jew, based on this theory, which used to be a legit hypothesis but at this point most people who hold on to it are anti-Semites. It's not a pro-Russian protest, it's a Ukrainian far-right thing.

IIRC, there are some genetics that support that, and that there was a Khazar Khanate in Eastern Europe at some point isnt too farfetched.
Not that this would have any impact of the legitimacy of the state of Israel.
In the context, "Khazaar" is often to "Jew" basically what "State Rights" is to "friend of the family", but a bit more obviously so.
If someone starts with "Khazaar banker", you have a 100% Anti Semite.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

jonnypeh posted:

I've not seen any mention of Leopard 2s, only recovery vehicles based on Leopard 1. Long term plans also include purchasing probably Leopard 2s to create an armored formation together with those CV9035s, but I'm afraid the defense spending cuts in various western European countries will come to an end before that so no more cheap(er) tanks.

Finland nabbed a bunch of Leopard 2s cheap from both Germany some 8 years ago and now another 100 or so from Netherlands. Unfortunately we don't really have much foresight in our ministry of defense.

At least those IFVs will provide superior firepower over Pasi APCs and would make quick work of any Russian armored vehicle that isn't a tank.

Though even those Gulf war Abramses that USA offered Greece some years back might come in handy. Greece said no. They have a fuckton of tanks already anyway.

Yeah unfortunately your guys are planning to get those things:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_Vehicle_Reconnaissance_%28Tracked%29

I would strongly suggest to develop/improve certain contacts within Germanys political system. The price at which Germany sells Leos is nearly 100% political. If you play your cards right you could get them really really cheaply, and they are pretty nice tanks.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

:unsmith:

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

In some pretty good news, the ceasefire is holding for now.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30384665

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Paladinus posted:

Haha, yes. I am more familiar with the Russian variant of those, but trying to not burst out laughing when they go on about "Jews gave us money so that we no longer use manly armed robbery as the main mode of economic transaction!", "Jews gave us fake weaksauce Christianity without Cool Heathensmiting Knightly orders!" and stuff like that is a great way to work on your pokerface.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Wish I'd found that button sooner.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mightypeon posted:

In some pretty good news, the ceasefire is holding for now.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30384665

For El Scotch.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

El Scotch posted:

Wish I'd found that button sooner.

Now that quotes carry not only the name but the post number how hard would it be for quotes of people on ignore list being ignored has well. Because between this and the IP thread many of you can't stop replying to him.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Mightypeon posted:

That is getting weird, "Khazaar" is something that Kolomoisky would be a lot more likely to get slurred with.

Well, there is a bizarro conspiracy theory beloved by various Russia-lovers that Poroshenko is secretly Jewish --- and it won't surprise me if some Svoboda types were likely to follow the same sort of insanity.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I don't think calling your opponents secret Jews is a 'bizarro' conspiracy theory unfortunately, especially not in the Eastern European context

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

icantfindaname posted:

I don't think calling your opponents secret Jews is a 'bizarro' conspiracy theory unfortunately, especially not in the Eastern European context

Well let's call it a helluva stupid conspiracy theory then.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Battalion of Crimea says they destroyed a base of militants in Eastern Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/tombreadley/status/542817308851601410

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 11, 2014

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Battalion of Crimea? Militants? Who is pro-Russian and who is pro-Ukrainian?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Battalion of Crimea? Militants? Who is pro-Russian and who is pro-Ukrainian?
Battalion of Crimea should be pro-Ukrainian, unless there's a few of them.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Apologies, I read it wrong. They are not fighting in Crimea but fighting in Eastern Ukraine. Battalion of Crimea are pro-Ukrainian.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

kalstrams posted:

My favourite nationalists are Slavic paganists who complain about Jews giving Slavs fire to wean Slavs from eating raw meat.

theyre right

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Libluini posted:

Well let's call it a helluva stupid conspiracy theory then.

I'd probably call it "classic slavic political strategy." Insinuating your opponents are maybe probably kinda zionist saboteurs has literally no downside and it works on anyone.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

3peat posted:

Uranium smugglers caught in Moldova (you can see the uranium after 1:50)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Puj36l8Yf6A

...and a moldovan rap song :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NDG7gICqaE

The american showing up with the giger counter was a bit odd. I guess he was some kind of international consultant?

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
when I learned Russian in college they told us basically "this is going to make a lot of you mad but Russians still write in cursive, so all of you will be required to learn and write in Cyrillic script". My handwriting is messy but mostly legible. It did have the side effect of almost completely pushing English cursive out of my mind. I had to endorse a check made out to my full name and it was super hard trying to remember how to write it in English. That's my story!

Content: so the ceasefire appears to be mostly holding, at least from what I can see. Ukraine and separatists are trying to set a date to hold another round of talks in Minsk but can't come to an agreement. And today (well I guess yesterday in Ukraine) Kuchma said that there shouldn't even be more talks because the separatists kept violating the September ceasefire.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Swan Oat posted:

when I learned Russian in college they told us basically "this is going to make a lot of you mad but Russians still write in cursive, so all of you will be required to learn and write in Cyrillic script". My handwriting is messy but mostly legible. It did have the side effect of almost completely pushing English cursive out of my mind. I had to endorse a check made out to my full name and it was super hard trying to remember how to write it in English. That's my story!

Content: so the ceasefire appears to be mostly holding, at least from what I can see. Ukraine and separatists are trying to set a date to hold another round of talks in Minsk but can't come to an agreement. And today (well I guess yesterday in Ukraine) Kuchma said that there shouldn't even be more talks because the separatists kept violating the September ceasefire.

Guess who's gone down under?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

My Imaginary GF posted:

Guess who's gone down under?

I don't get it.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

drilldo squirt posted:

I don't get it.

Poroshenko and Russian negotiators are meeting in Australia.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Stocks of two, arguably, largest IT companies in Russia.

Yandex

Mail.ru

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

drilldo squirt posted:

I don't get it.

AusPol says Poroshenko is here to negotiate for the purchase of our Uranium for their power plants, because they can't buy from Russia anymore

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Is Yandex and mail.ru being nationalized? I doubt they do a lot of business in EU or US, short of buying hardware, so sanctions shouldn't affect them.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

alex314 posted:

Is Yandex and mail.ru being nationalized? I doubt they do a lot of business in EU or US, short of buying hardware, so sanctions shouldn't affect them.
Article I read said main cause is crash of Rouble, if I recall correctly.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

My job involves looking through the bank statements of Russian nationals (among many, many other documents) and my anecdotal take is that the amount of foreign currency accounts has skyrocketed in the last few months. I mean it makes perfect sense but it's kind of eerie seeing it happen live.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Swan Oat posted:

so the ceasefire appears to be mostly holding, at least from what I can see
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0rAGOS68K0
BM-27 Uragan.

Edit: Nevermind, seems to be from Russia, Totskoye range.
Edit2: However, there still is fighting during the truce.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 11, 2014

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

OddObserver posted:

Well, there is a bizarro conspiracy theory beloved by various Russia-lovers that Poroshenko is secretly Jewish --- and it won't surprise me if some Svoboda types were likely to follow the same sort of insanity.

I didnt actually hear that one yet.
Most bizarre "Russian" conspiracy theory thing I heard about Poroshenko is that he had a double, the real him got killed, and the double (who is a sekrit CIA US Homonazi puppet) took over. Although the double propably also was/is a Jew in at least one sub-version.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Meanwhile, Lyashko deposed the major of Zaporozhje.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIa6cDbkXiY

I dont know enough about Alexander Sri to know what this means in Oligarch power play terms, but Lyashko has, compared to the Svoboda dudes in Vinnitsa, a lot more political "backing" even though I am not at all certain from whom right now.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Literal rape prisons :smith:

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Another new Ukrainian recruitment ad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mtvU0BdYqI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012