Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Sound is involved somewhere, but I'm not sure where.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Monster cables?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The audio, when present, should be delivered in a digital format.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

No Such Thing As A Fish is the best podcast right now. All of them are writers for QI, a BBC show, and the show just goes over random facts they found out. Also several of them are working comedians but employed by the BBC instead of making a podcast in their basement. My one criticism is it's too short which is a good criticism to have (30 minutes a week)

Like I'm literally not gonna recommend anything else, I like it that much

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Thanks for your ideas on what makes a good podcast. I'll use them when making mine.

Oo, QI podcast thing? This looks good.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lampsacus posted:

Thanks for your ideas on what makes a good podcast. I'll use them when making mine.

I mean it's kinda hard to answer such a broad thing. Like what makes a good comedy show is different than what makes a good news show which is different than what makes a good anime review show which is different than what makes a good radio play type show and so on. I guess the constant thing that is needed is good personality and decent quality gear?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Lampsacus posted:

Just try to understand your audience.

There are a million podcasts on a million subjects. Why would I listen to yours?

If you're doing comedy, what type of comedy? Is it political, is it pop culture, is it improv, are you going to do skits and characters?

Or is it specific to an interest/sub-culture? Monster Talks is fun because every episode is a new cryptozoological subject and exploring the ideas of it. F-Plus is fun because weird people on the internet at their weirdest is awkward and funny.

The idea is, what are you going to bring to the table, what's your fresh perspective? If you do a general videogame podcast, as a new listener, I'm more apt to just listen to someone I know and enjoy, like Giant Bomb, unless you do something new that I've never really thought about.

THE AWESOME GHOST brings up a good point about length. They like NSTAAF, and it's the perfect length. Make it where your audience always wants more. I prefer podcasts that are 30-45 minutes long, so I can get in, enjoy, finish, and then wait for more. Comedy podcasts are hard for this. My two favorites are Comedy Bang! Bang! and Doug Loves Movies. I am willing to spend an hour with them because there are always guests that I already know and enjoy and they're having fun together. If it's a group of people I'm not familiar with, I'll probably only spend 30 minutes, 45 if there's good chemistry.

Try to make a podcast that hasn't been made yet. If I'm scrolling through a list and saw a title that was intriguing and gives me an idea of what it's about, I'll look into it. If the summary is to the point and interesting and I know what to expect the first time, I'll listen to it. Don't be an imitator (if I want to listen to a Freakanomics rip-off, I'll just listen to Freakanomics). Don't waste my time: if I want to listen to more, I'll listen to more than one episode in a row or tune in next time. But, most importantly, make a podcast that you would love to listen to. Not everyone is going to like it, so make one that you've never heard but want to. If you want to make a podcast, aim for content quality. If you make three crappy episodes before you make a really good one, maybe throw the first few out? (Practice makes perfect.) And have fun. If the people I'm listening to are having fun, I'm having fun. If the people I listen to are boring, I'll cut it off after 10 minutes, even if it's a subject I am infatuated with. You want me to listen, not fill my room with background noise.

I really hope I don't sound like a dick saying this, because that's not my intention. Nor am I trying to scare you away. But 90% of the podcasts available are poo poo. Anyone can rig up a microphone and download Audacity. Make it special. Make every episode as if it were the only podcast episode you'll ever make, or the last one you'll ever make. Search around the forums and find the goons that have made successful podcasts (there are a few) and PM them.

But make something you'd want to listen to.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Seconding that it's difficult to be specific without knowing what kind of podcast you want to make, but audio/voice quality is I would think universally crucial. I've given up on a couple of podcasts irrespective of their content because they sounded like grainy AM radio broadcasts, or the speaker had some bad vocal tic/habit, or both.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Oh wow these are some good posts. Thanks guys!

I'm based in Auckland, New Zealand and I've floated around the idea of doing a podcast about the unique creative/arts scene we've got going on here.

All these helpful tips ring true to me. Quality gear and voice is key.

Sorry for being factious, didn't mean to be a dick.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
Serial continues to be really great. The worst part is waiting a week between episodes.

The Radiotopia network of podcasts just started up a Kickstarter, which is a good excuse to tell people they should go to Radiotopia.fm and check out some podcasts. I subscribe to 99% Invisible, The Truth, Love+Radio, Theory of Everything, and Radio Diaries but the others are good too.

I'll echo the recommendation from last page for WireTap from CBC as well. I have no idea how I would describe it but I like it nonetheless.

Last I'll suggest How Sound, which is kind of like a Director's Commentary for Podcasts.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

ChetReckless posted:

I'll echo the recommendation from last page for WireTap from CBC as well. I have no idea how I would describe it but I like it nonetheless.

It's loosely built around funny phone conversations between Jonathan Goldstein and his wacky friends Howard and Gregor as well as his family, with a literary portion where someone reads an excerpt from a (usually if not always) fiction book.

I've been listening to it on terrestrial radio for years now and it's great.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I love the F Plus and Lou Reads, does anyone know of any other "here's some terrible internet stuff" podcasts?

I also really liked the No Sleep podcast for the longest time, but once it hit season 3 is started to get kinda meh. What are some other good horror podcasts?

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Alright, podcast technical time. I volunteered to start a podcast out of interest for a student group I'm in. I have a mic with a pop filter already, and we have a second mic which I am pretty sure is filtered too. We I will be recording in a room with like 10 Macs in there probably, and I have never used a Mac before. What software would be best for recording on a Mac? Any default software that is best, or should I download another piece of software like audacity or something like that?

I know I intend to just send that over to my home PC and edit it on there, so that bit ain't a direct issue apart from the fact I would need to learn to edit from base.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Sociopastry posted:

I also really liked the No Sleep podcast for the longest time, but once it hit season 3 is started to get kinda meh. What are some other good horror podcasts?

Pseudopod is a horror short story podcast, if you haven't already listened to that. It's pretty hit or miss though, and sometimes when it misses it misses really hard. Also I turn it off when the story's over because I personally can't really stand the host's ramblings.

Nocor
Apr 13, 2013
Some of these have probably already been mentioned (I didn't grab the rss feeds for you sorry)

Favorite this month:
The Cracked podcast - Has some interesting conversations about certain topics that I didn't really expect to be as deep as they turned out to be. (cracked.com)
Drive to work - If you like game design this is pretty strong, if you like MTG then its a good history, if you like both its very strong. (http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/mm/drivetowork)
Constructed Resources Another MTG podcast if you like constructed and want to get better (http://www.crcast.com/)
Limited Resources - Another MTG podcast for limited and want to get better (http://lrcast.com/)
Sawbones - Great weird medical history podcast (http://www.maximumfun.org/shows/sawbones)
TLDR The human side of the internet (http://www.onthemedia.org/tags/tldr_podcast/)
Freakenomics Weird economic studies (http://freakonomics.com/radio/freakonomics-radio-podcast-archive/)
NPR: Hourly News summary - Best news summary I actually like (http://www.npr.org/rss/podcast/podcast_detail.php?siteId=5183215)

Favorites last month:
My brother, my brother, and me. - Advice show for the modern era. They read yahoo answers and answer them. (http://www.maximumfun.org/shows/my-brother-my-brother-and-me)
Crit Juice DND with an exceptional DM and high production value and drinking (less poo poo than some other dnd podcasts) (http://www.critjuice.com/)
International waters - Trivia with US and the UK comedians (http://www.maximumfun.org/shows/international-waters)
One shot - RPG podcast with improv-ers (http://peachesandhotsauce.com/category/podcasts/one-shot)
Stop podcasting yourself - Part one is for life stories, Listen for the overheards in part 3 of the podcast (http://stoppodcastingyourself.libsyn.org/)

Sociopastry posted:

I love the F Plus and Lou Reads, does anyone know of any other "here's some terrible internet stuff" podcasts?
TLDR is not "here's some terrible internet stuff" but it is internet behind the story stuff you might enjoy
You'd probably enjoy My brother, my brother and me too.

Nocor fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Oct 25, 2014

Nocor
Apr 13, 2013

Lampsacus posted:

What makes a good podcast?

I've heard too many "live" podcasts that are not tight with their content. I think a good focus within a limited time keeps the ears fresh.

And if this was a trap consider me baited.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Well I hope no one here's still listening to CBC's Q.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Since this looks like the place for recommendations, can I get one for "storied" podcasts. Something in the vein of "Welcome to Nightvale" where the content is fictional. Basically, I'm looking for radio plays, dramas, or even "parody podcasts" that are reminiscent of lonelygirl15.

As far as genres go, horror is always good, and soap opera style ones(as long as they have a bit of humor injected) are fine as well.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Postal Parcel posted:

Since this looks like the place for recommendations, can I get one for "storied" podcasts. Something in the vein of "Welcome to Nightvale" where the content is fictional. Basically, I'm looking for radio plays, dramas, or even "parody podcasts" that are reminiscent of lonelygirl15.

As far as genres go, horror is always good, and soap opera style ones(as long as they have a bit of humor injected) are fine as well.

The Truth is an audio drama podcast I like quite a bit. Each episode is about 15-20 minutes long and stands alone (no ongoing stories, aside from the occasional two-parter). They can get a little dark sometimes but it sounds like that won't bother you.

In honour of Halloween, some of the 'scary' or tense episodes I can recommend, in no particular order:
- Do You Have a Minute for Equality?
- In Good Hands
- Third Party
- That's Democracy (this one is pretty dark)
- The Death of Poe

(sorry there are no links but I'm on my phone)

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Are there any good podcasts about some people discussing and joking about a piece of bad media. I've been listening to I Don't Even Own A Television, and I'm looking for something in the vein of that, just a group of people laughing and discussing what they just saw/read/watched/played.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

FutureFriend posted:

Are there any good podcasts about some people discussing and joking about a piece of bad media. I've been listening to I Don't Even Own A Television, and I'm looking for something in the vein of that, just a group of people laughing and discussing what they just saw/read/watched/played.

How Did This Get Made is the podcast you are looking for.

usb teledildonics
Oct 10, 2009

those who came before me

FutureFriend posted:

There's a Sat Heezy podcast?! :aaaaa:

Check these out if you haven't even though most of them are going to suck in comparison.

- How Did This Get Made
- We Hate Movies
- The F Plus (recent live and any fanfic eps)
- Read it and Weep (ymmv)
- It's That Episode (start with the captain planet episode)
- that one stupid saved by the bell podcast (follow new podcast rule #1 and just find an ep with paul f tompkins)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

FutureFriend posted:

The Worst Idea of All Time Podcast. They watch and review Grown Ups 2 every week for a year.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

usb teledildonics posted:

- that one stupid saved by the bell podcast (follow new podcast rule #1 and just find an ep with paul f tompkins)

It's called Go Bayside and it is good.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

The Worst Idea of All Time Podcast. They watch and review Grown Ups 2 every week for a year.
My friends know those guys in RL and say they are jerks. Which is a shame because drat what a sweet idea. Also, I wish they picked a better movie to hate-watch as comedies rarely are the best for that. I don't know.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lampsacus posted:

My friends know those guys in RL and say they are jerks. Which is a shame because drat what a sweet idea. Also, I wish they picked a better movie to hate-watch as comedies rarely are the best for that. I don't know.

Comedies are usually funny, so I think Grown Ups 2 falls well outside the definition there.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good science podcast? I already listen to Astronomy Cast, Radio Lab and Science Friday. Science Friday usually has some good pieces, but it seems to be going soft lately. I'm getting tired of listening to yet another way someone used DNA to make art, or how someone made another musical about something or other with a science theme. I love Astronomy Cast and Radio Lab. Looking for something where they really dig into a topic along the Astronomy Cast theme of not only what we know, but how we know. I'm not interested in paranormal or anything that is too slick or over produced, just normal people who are passionate about something.

Also I have been going through this thread for other ideas, and thank you for recommending the Tobolowsky Files. I'm typically not interested in celebrity or pop culture, but the man is an amazing story teller on so many topics, fascinating life and self depreciating at the same time and I am trying to ration myself and not devour the archives too fast.

I'm really getting into History of our World, and really eager to get into The History of Byzantium since I enjoyed History of Rome so much and the Partially Examined Life

I tried Skeptoid, and IDK, he just seems too smug.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Jibo posted:

Anyone have any good recommendations for new music discovery podcasts along the lines of All Songs Considered? Preferably something that covers at least some hip-hop.

Only just noticed this, but I think you'd like If There Is Hell Below. It's made by a couple of folks from London named Rob and Callum who play all kinds of really cool tunes (including hip-hop) and shoot the poo poo about all kinds of different things. I've meant to mention it on here before but it's always slipped my mind, so thank you for the opportunity.

Venomous fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 29, 2014

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good science podcast? I already listen to Astronomy Cast, Radio Lab and Science Friday. Science Friday usually has some good pieces, but it seems to be going soft lately. I'm getting tired of listening to yet another way someone used DNA to make art, or how someone made another musical about something or other with a science theme. I love Astronomy Cast and Radio Lab. Looking for something where they really dig into a topic along the Astronomy Cast theme of not only what we know, but how we know. I'm not interested in paranormal or anything that is too slick or over produced, just normal people who are passionate about something.

Also I have been going through this thread for other ideas, and thank you for recommending the Tobolowsky Files. I'm typically not interested in celebrity or pop culture, but the man is an amazing story teller on so many topics, fascinating life and self depreciating at the same time and I am trying to ration myself and not devour the archives too fast.

I'm really getting into History of our World, and really eager to get into The History of Byzantium since I enjoyed History of Rome so much and the Partially Examined Life

I tried Skeptoid, and IDK, he just seems too smug.

I don't know if it's up your alley, but the journals Science and Nature both have their own weekly podcasts. The topics they cover are as broad as those covered by the journals, but they're never "soft." I don't listen every week, but I will check in on the Science one when I feel like it. I work in a science field, and it has the added bonus of sometimes letting me know about a article of interest that I would have missed otherwise. For what it's worth, I feel the same way about Science Friday, I like Ira for nostalgia reasons (Newton's Apple), and I feel pleasantly surprised when I catch an ep on the radio, but it gets grating to listen to every week. Too much fluff.

edit: I almost forgot the main thing that drives me crazy about Science Friday. The callers are so goddamned awful sometimes. Even when I listened regularly I'd have to skip that part.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 1, 2014

Kamakaze9
Jun 11, 2005
Hey you guys!!
Anyone have anything good dealing with psychology? I've always been interested in the subject but I'm too practical to choose it as a major and too busy to take it on as a hobby right now. I'm fine with either lecture/lesson or conversational/topical format.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
So there's no more Podmass, right? What's the deal?

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Gargamel Gibson posted:

So there's no more Podmass, right? What's the deal?

"There will be no Podmass on Monday, December 1 due to the holiday weekend."

http://www.avclub.com/detail/pete-holmes-and-harris-wittels-talk-little-baby-ba-212186

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Ahhhh, cheers. Question answered and self hosed.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
If you love The Simpsons and hate The Simpsons' modern incarnations, boy did I stumble on a great podcast for that.

http://worstepisodeeverpodcast.wordpress.com/

Worst Episode Ever is a cool podcast by two dudes who 100% acknowledge they're basically being Comic Book Guy. They do a good job explaining WHY the episodes they pick suck instead of just going 'it's bad because I said so and it was made post 2000 ergo it's trash.' They acknowledge funny parts, they are legitimately trying to rank these episodes so not every bad episode is treated as the worst, and generally they're two funny people making jokes while they talk about lovely Simpsons episodes.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Serial is great, Sword and Scale is dope, does anyone have any recs for another good true crime podcast? I need something to listen to for twelve hours while I'm driving from NY to Charlotte in a week.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

FutureFriend posted:

I quite like Laser Time; it's a general pop culture podcast mostly staffed by ex-Games Radar people, where they talk about everything from pilot episodes for shows that never were to awful celebrity albums to old 1-900 phone numbers to the very worst of video game music. Some episodes are better than others, but at it's best it's a really interesting and funny look at pop culture; I remember the ones I've linked being pretty excellent at any rate.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 10, 2014

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Literally The Worst posted:

Serial is great, Sword and Scale is dope, does anyone have any recs for another good true crime podcast? I need something to listen to for twelve hours while I'm driving from NY to Charlotte in a week.

Criminal is decent. Some of the early episodes are a little weak but I think it has improved with time.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Kamakaze9 posted:

Anyone have anything good dealing with psychology? I've always been interested in the subject but I'm too practical to choose it as a major and too busy to take it on as a hobby right now. I'm fine with either lecture/lesson or conversational/topical format.

One I have enjoyed is called Psychology in Everyday Life: The Psych Files. Huge back catalogue too.

usb teledildonics
Oct 10, 2009

those who came before me

This dude is the head of an end times christian cult that literally tried/nearly succeeded to warn every person in Israel about the John Kerry Jewish Holocaust v2.0 via snail mail. His podcast (radio hate rendezvous) is unleashed on the world daily and is 150% more entertaining than Serial. It's like if that neckbeard truther on your facebook feed was vehemently religious instead of vehemently anti-religious. I'm p much just gonna write this poo poo into every AV Club podcast survey for the rest of my useless life.

http://www.endtime.com/israel-project/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Literally The Worst posted:

Anybody else put off by the tone of Sword and Scale? It can get REALLY overheated and cable-news-y, most noticeably in Episode 31 (Canadian-guy-gets-decapitated-on-the-bus episode).