Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

If you guys start helldumping you know it's gonna end in tears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Yes um for the record I am not actually going to find out who this guy's girlfriend is or attempt to hit on her, it was a stupid joke. My life and sacred honor are worthless and I do not make vows on them, thank you.

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You
I've been following this thread since page one and I haven't seen this posted yet. Someone dropped this link in the DnD pictures thread. If you're like me and can't sit through an entire Aurini video, this will do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsdIHK8O5yo

Apologies if it was posted already. FIFTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

UnoriginalMind posted:

I've been following this thread since page one and I haven't seen this posted yet. Someone dropped this link in the DnD pictures thread. If you're like me and can't sit through an entire Aurini video, this will do:

Thanks to that video though they're down to about $8700 now which is still gross but a pretty sharp loving drop off.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

UnoriginalMind posted:

I prefer to believe that he's wearing a dickie, not a turtleneck.

Pulsedragon
Aug 5, 2013

UnoriginalMind posted:

It's a shame this predates his star trek and sluts vdieo because then we could've gotten the skull in a ushunka with a red star and "Obama" under it.

Because I had to pause for a bit because I was laughing too much.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Stolen from the politoons thread.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

The Time Dissolver posted:

Stolen from the politoons thread.

This is one of those /pol/ things where it's kind of a joke but more serious than you'd expect, I'd assume?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

That Iron Pill bullshit resonates at exactly the right frequency of "idiot shutin fascist" that I know it can't possibly be serious and yet still get too angry reading it to finish it.

Congratulations, Internet, you found something I can't just laugh at.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

The Vosgian Beast posted:

This is one of those /pol/ things where it's kind of a joke but more serious than you'd expect, I'd assume?

That's the entirety of /pol/. Man, get a load of those jews/negros, I mean seriously! Heil Hitler!

Haha, that was a joke! But it's sort of true, when you think about it...

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

UnoriginalMind posted:

"Women have become the most decadent sluts since the fall of Rome, going out for gangbangs and despising the men who would actually treat them with love, dignity, and respect."

Hmm, which men might those be? Are you talking about the very same men who call women "decadent sluts" and say that Eve "allowed herself to be tricked by the serpent"? Because surely that can't be it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Zemyla posted:

"Women have become the most decadent sluts since the fall of Rome, going out for gangbangs and despising the men who would actually treat them with love, dignity, and respect."

Hmm, which men might those be? Are you talking about the very same men who call women "decadent sluts" and say that Eve "allowed herself to be tricked by the serpent"? Because surely that can't be it.

Remember Nice Guys? I'm certain that it was just the larval stage of the MRAs.

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012
Iron Pill is hilarious and very good.

http://imgur.com/a/ZDPWi

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Remember Nice Guys? I'm certain that it was just the larval stage of the MRAs.

It's more they're the benign tumors of MRA cancer.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Lightanchor posted:

What the gently caress am I reading? :psyduck:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Lightanchor posted:

I can't tell what the intended level of irony of this comic is.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Silver2195 posted:

The answer is always "Just kidding, unless you aren't".

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

None. This guy's been around for a while. It's a strange combination of worship of classicism combined with a bizarre mishmash of Nordic identities that run the gamut from Vikings to the HRE. This is despite the fact that many of the things he identifies with are mutually exclusive and often come from cultures who considered each others barbarians/heretics/evil. Basically bowing down at the altar of the western white male (no homo).

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Political Whores posted:

bowing down at the altar of the western white male (no homo).
All I want is for there to be a gay neoreactionary who's very confused about his love for the patriarchy.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Curvature of Earth posted:

All I want is for there to be a gay neoreactionary who's very confused about his love for the patriarchy.
Those exist and they're quite explicit about their gayitude. Google androphilia.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Political Whores posted:

None. This guy's been around for a while. It's a strange combination of worship of classicism combined with a bizarre mishmash of Nordic identities that run the gamut from Vikings to the HRE. This is despite the fact that many of the things he identifies with are mutually exclusive and often come from cultures who considered each others barbarians/heretics/evil. Basically bowing down at the altar of the western white male (no homo).

Its kind of friendly self-satire. Whoever writes it seems pretty deep into white nationalist ideology (its the page long rants about stuff that give it away) but is parodying it with that vague fake pseudo-self awareness that 4chan has. Its a weird thing to say about loving white nationalists - "hey, at least he can laugh about himself" seems a little more normal when you're talking about nerds and not ultranationalists - but that seems to be the position its coming from.

That said, I'm not a white nationalist by any stretch but its so bizarre and surreal and hits so many "weird shutin ultranationalist" notes its loving hilarious.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I've always been tempted to do a gay fascist gimmick but then I realised it was overtrod territory.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

Those exist and they're quite explicit about their gayitude. Google androphilia.

I was going to say: Jack Donovan in particular is all about the idea of manly ripped Spartan warriors rising above the those limpwristed twink untermensch who control and oppress the gay community.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
There's a wonderful FPlus episode about a specific forum of those guys. It's one of their best.

COCKRUB WARRIORS RULE.

SurreptitiousMuffin has a new favorite as of 13:25 on Dec 9, 2014

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phobophilia posted:

I've always been tempted to do a gay fascist gimmick but then I realised it was overtrod territory.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

LordSaturn posted:

That Iron Pill bullshit resonates at exactly the right frequency of "idiot shutin fascist" that I know it can't possibly be serious and yet still get too angry reading it to finish it.

Congratulations, Internet, you found something I can't just laugh at.

Silver2195 posted:

this is your daily reminder that self-awareness is not the same thing as self-criticism

icantfindaname has a new favorite as of 00:59 on Dec 10, 2014

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ProperGanderPusher posted:

I was going to say: Jack Donovan in particular is all about the idea of manly ripped Spartan warriors rising above the those limpwristed twink untermensch who control and oppress the gay community.

More than just him, way back when the pony mock thread was still a thing we found a neo-nazi brony that basically had the exact same opinion as far as manly gays are concerned.

A neo-nazi brony.

EDIT: They basically want this :nws: http://oglaf.com/toll/ :nws:

Shame Boy has a new favorite as of 01:06 on Dec 10, 2014

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Thanks for not linking that BLOOD AND THUNDER one like every single other goon.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Where is that from? Looks like a Dave Gibbons drawing. Something from 2000AD or something?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Has anyone itt said "dork enlightenment" yet

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Luisfe posted:

Where is that from? Looks like a Dave Gibbons drawing. Something from 2000AD or something?

Frank Miller and Dave Gibbons' "Give Me Liberty".

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

sinking belle posted:

Has anyone itt said "dork enlightenment" yet

I've been thinking it pretty much constantly.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Here's a pretty good summary of Moldbug's method for anyone who doesn't want to go through his actual posts.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Can someone who is more familiar with this insanity explain how Nick Land is involved? He was actually an intellectual figure in the past.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
Well, Nick Land laid out the definitive systematisation of "the dark enlightenment" in his eponymous essay and to a large extent it's a logical upshot of some aspects of his earlier thinking. He's probably singlehandedly the most influential force in defining them as a single "thing".

Like you said his earlier philosophy is fascinating and occasionally brilliant -- there's a reason he was so enormously influential in certain circles of British philosophy. He does actually still sometimes write interesting things, like his booklet from this November on templexity is a decent read I think, though not exactly stellar philosophy. I would say he's probably the only genuine intellectual in their camp, though even then most of his current output is garbage.

What's really gone on with him is hard to say. Accepting his turn against the traditional left, which is obvious from pretty much the beginning of his writings, it still seems contradictory to the point of surreality that someone so invested in breathless acceleration would support self-proclaimed reactionaries (though the example of Marinetti is, I guess, telling).

The most attractive explanation, I think, is that he's put it on for show -- maybe in the nietzschean way of weakening your opponents by supporting them with stupid arguments. In reality though he probably just self-identified too naively with his favourite hobbyhorses of neodeleuzian schizophrenia, antihumanism, and the bataillean defence of evil and is acting out in an increasingly vapid way his fantasy of being an ~evil genius~.

I'd love to write in more depth about him actually since he's someone whose development I'm really interested in analysing as part of my broader academic research at the moment but my laptop has shat the bed so I'm stuck on mobile at the moment.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Zohar posted:

Well, Nick Land laid out the definitive systematisation of "the dark enlightenment" in his eponymous essay and to a large extent it's a logical upshot of some aspects of his earlier thinking. He's probably singlehandedly the most influential force in defining them as a single "thing".

Like you said his earlier philosophy is fascinating and occasionally brilliant -- there's a reason he was so enormously influential in certain circles of British philosophy. He does actually still sometimes write interesting things, like his booklet from this November on templexity is a decent read I think, though not exactly stellar philosophy. I would say he's probably the only genuine intellectual in their camp, though even then most of his current output is garbage.

What's really gone on with him is hard to say. Accepting his turn against the traditional left, which is obvious from pretty much the beginning of his writings, it still seems contradictory to the point of surreality that someone so invested in breathless acceleration would support self-proclaimed reactionaries (though the example of Marinetti is, I guess, telling).

The most attractive explanation, I think, is that he's put it on for show -- maybe in the nietzschean way of weakening your opponents by supporting them with stupid arguments. In reality though he probably just self-identified too naively with his favourite hobbyhorses of neodeleuzian schizophrenia, antihumanism, and the bataillean defence of evil and is acting out in an increasingly vapid way his fantasy of being an ~evil genius~.

I'd love to write in more depth about him actually since he's someone whose development I'm really interested in analysing as part of my broader academic research at the moment but my laptop has shat the bed so I'm stuck on mobile at the moment.

It seems fairly clear to me that Land delights in watching the world devour itself (from a safe distance) and always has. One of the fascinating contradictions in Moldbug's thought is that for all his authoritarianism, he genuinely dislikes violence, hence his inability to put forward a coherent plan to achieve the radical change he wants. Land, on the other hand, seems to enjoy watching death and destruction even when he claims to be criticizing the people he blames for it. He's not as explicit about it as Marinetti, but you can see it in his word choices.

Not denying that Land sometimes says interesting things, but he's a bad person and was a bad person before the DE existed.

Silver2195 has a new favorite as of 02:34 on Dec 13, 2014

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
Sure I agree that's the impulse: does that make him a bad person though? Part of at least the pretence of this type of deleuzianism is that 'schizophrenia' and deterritorialisation are paths to radical liberation. I would invert your evaluation, since to me it's a much more intellectually interesting and authentic reaction to the problem of radical discontent than the warmed-over technics of the bargain basement fascism of someone like Moldbug. Not just Land, but catastrophic thinkers throughout the late 19th and 20th centuries (what my research focuses on).

When Land was pursuing this line of thought properly I do think there were real philosophical fireworks involved even if it's not something we agree with -- I take Mark Fisher's line on that basically -- but now he's descended into boring bullshit about race and so on.

E: to be clear I don't want to start sounding like whoever that guy was in the bitcoin threads that would talk about what a massive and serious threat bitcoin is 'but I'm not a supporter of it I promise guys'. Land is the only one of these guys I'm even marginally inclined to take seriously and even then I've probably been really overly generous to him already since, yeah, most of the time he acts like a bog-standard reactionary idiot now.

Zohar has a new favorite as of 03:07 on Dec 13, 2014

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Machine gun philosophers into trenches

butts lol
May 18, 2011
Nick Land gave himself some serious amphetamine psychosis in the 90s.

I did a huge research project on him last year... The guy did hella speed and then moved to china to write for the government. He's now chillin' somewhere in South East Asia

butts lol has a new favorite as of 21:23 on Dec 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program
I posted this earlier but RE Nick Land:

http://energyflashbysimonreynolds.blogspot.com/2009/11/renegade-academia-cybernetic-culture.html

but also this has one of the best blog comments I've seen in a long time attached to it:

quote:

Martyn Amos said...

This takes me back... I was tangentially involved with the CCRU via my research in molecular computing (I did my Ph.D at Warwick '93-'96), and helped with the two "big" VF conferences.

One of the last times I saw Nick was in the Coop on Earlsdon high street; in his basket were about six Pot Noodles, and a cabbage ("because I don't want to get scurvy").
May 29, 2011 at 8:27 AM

Post a Comment