Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

e: Nope, that wasn't a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Probably because there is little to no regulation on nylon gear and body armour, and there aren't outgoing checks done on nylon gear, because there's no legislation regulating it.

They aren't talking about bringing your own ammo and pyro. Most clothing and wearable gear isn't regulated by law.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Sounds like a lot of it is poo poo they're buying in theatre - at the very least, rifles, I would expect.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Simkin posted:

Sounds like a lot of it is poo poo they're buying in theatre - at the very least, rifles, I would expect.

It sounds like all the kinetic poo poo is in theatre - rifles for sure, ammo is probably mostly provided by the peshmerga, pyro probably provided.

Reminds me of a buddy who did a maritime security contract in Somalia back when it was the Wild West. You flew in with all your soft goods in a duffle bag, and met the outgoing team in a hotel room before going out to your ship. The outgoing team set up a firearms farmers market and you worked your way through the room bartering for the firearm you wanted. Prices seemed equivalent too. When you rotated out you sold it to the incoming guys, hopefully for the same price. Anything crew served was provided by the company as well as pyro, etc

scaper exile
Feb 27, 2008
He says in the article that he feels he is not breaking the law because these Kurdish forces are fighting for survival and they are not committing war crimes or terrorist acts.

If a single member of the force you are fighting with does something remotely out of line you could find yourself guilty by association. I think it is likely that he will find himself without citizenship to any recognized state if this happens.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Canada can't just outright revoke the citizenship of a born citizen.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Hello Goons I just passed Phase I flying training. I was on one of those good old fashioned slaughterhouse courses, every possibility of a 40% pass rate (still two guys to test, I give them 50/50). Helluva mental roller coaster ride...

Frankie!
Apr 1, 2006
Ceci n'est pas un titre....

compressioncut posted:

Hello Goons I just passed Phase I flying training. I was on one of those good old fashioned slaughterhouse courses, every possibility of a 40% pass rate (still two guys to test, I give them 50/50). Helluva mental roller coaster ride...

Can you give us a rundown of the process of getting your wings?

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Frankie! posted:

Can you give us a rundown of the process of getting your wings?

Well, I just finished Ph1, you don't get wings till completing Ph3. There are a couple of real pilots here too that will no doubt correct stuff I pass on...I won't bother with the recruiting process, doesn't matter, and I did UTPNCM so very unique.

Step 1 - Aircrew selection. Trenton ON, I did the old CAPSS (basically the world's shittiest flight sim) but also did the new tests concurrently. The new system is the same as/based on the Royal Air Force system. CAPSS had a historical 30-40% pass rate, don't know about the new one but I think it's similar. Then medical in Toronto, but if you're a normally healthy person, you're good.

Step 2 - basic training. I did it in 2002 as an NCM so irrelevant.

Step 3 - Ph1 in Portage la Prairie Manitoba. Recently shortened a lot, the "Australian Model." Three weeks of ground school, then 21 "flying" events, 7 of which are computer or sim based. 16 of the trips are loggable flight hours, 22 hours (at least) total. There is virtually no time to really learn to fly, and if you don't keep up you get one extra dual mission, if you fail another flight after the ED you get a Progress Review Board. If the board thinks you can't solve your problem(s) with another extra trip, you are cease-trained and look for another job. This is flown on the Grob G120, which is a fairly sporty airplane (260hp, retractable landing gear, +6/-4g).

Some guys, in the summer, can finish in 6 weeks, but in the fall/winter the weather is utter poo poo so I've been here 77 days.

There are waves of courses that have few or no failures, and courses like mine where it's brutal. The key, mostly, is giving a poo poo, and relaxing into the airplane. Some dudes just never get a handle on stuff.

Step 4 - Ph2, much more often than not in Moose Jaw Saskatchewan on the Harvard II (Pilatus PC-9). Typically about 8 months. I've only "heard" about MJ, that it's very intense but more learning-focused, so the pass rate is generally very high. People who can't fly finish in Trenton or Portage, MJ you fail yourself. There is also Ph2 Grob in Portage, but it's very limited capacity and means you can't do fighters. And you're stuck in Portage...forever.

Step 5 - Ph3, into which you are streamed in MJ. Helicopter, multi-engine fixed wing, or fighters. Helo and multi come back to Portage, helos for another 8 or so months on Jet Rangers then Bell 412s. Multis have a short course, 3-4 months, on C90B King Airs. Both finish wings and get posted to the platform/squadron they picked (or had picked for them).

Fighter stream stays in MJ and the first part of the course continues on Harvards, then onto Hawks for wings. Then Ph4 in Cold Lake at 419 Sqn on Hawks, then the Hornet course at 410 Sqn.

I want fighters, backup choice being multi (Auroras).

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Is fighters first pick for almost everyone?

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Not at all, very few these days. Old airplane, relatively - well, very - few flying hours, and lovely posting locations to name three drawbacks. Only me and another guy on my Ph1 are interested. Everything goes in waves though. Lots of folks these currently seem to want helos especially, and there are some fairly primo things going on in that world. New Chinooks, 427 Sqn (the JTF2 guys), Cyclone is almost here, and so on. J-model Hercs and Globemasters appeal to the multi guys.

Helo is pretty appealing because you come out of school with multi-engine turbine, IFR, and night vision goggle time. Pretty lucrative skills civvy side.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

compressioncut posted:

Since no one else has said it, congrats!

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Yeah, way to go, CC!

Sounds like it can be a pretty drawn out process if all the courses don't line up, or the weather is lovely.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Moose Jaw (thank gently caress) in February so really very little waiting. That's the good course for weather, I've heard. If I get jets, probably one year after that for wings, slightly longer for multi, way longer for helo.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I talked to a 419 IP who said that the fighter stream is now generally getting its candidates from the bottom third of Phase 2 where historically it was the top third for a lot of the reasons you already mentioned. Good luck to you if you want fighters, as long as you know what you're getting into (postings, YFRs, holding alert, nobody outside of the fighter/tac C2 world understanding you, etc).

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

But at least you can roll into every party from once you graduate and immediately work into conversation (whether it fits or not) that you are a fighter pilot.

(Seriously tho congrats CC)

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

LCdr. Jebus posted:

But at least you can roll into every party from once you graduate and immediately work into conversation (whether it fits or not) that you are a fighter pilot.

poo poo I was going to try to get that joke in first

For what it's worth, one of my co-worker's sons is a fighter pilot in Cold Lake and he loves the poo poo out of it

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

It's just like Top Gun

Except instead of half-naked beach volleyball with your bros it's endless snow shoveling. Half-naked snow shoveling.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Guest2553 posted:

I talked to a 419 IP who said that the fighter stream is now generally getting its candidates from the bottom third of Phase 2 where historically it was the top third for a lot of the reasons you already mentioned. Good luck to you if you want fighters, as long as you know what you're getting into (postings, YFRs, holding alert, nobody outside of the fighter/tac C2 world understanding you, etc).

Yeah that is the case. On a buddy's recent Ph2, they had the force guys onto jets. Last course there was some competition for the slots though, I don't know if that signals a return to normal or just a hiccup. I know what I'm getting into in theory but I suspect the experience in MJ will let me know if I want to stay there or go back to the Portage Flying Club.

The fighter guys I've run into have been some of the most encouraging. Not that the other communities haven't been, but they've been particularly positive.

LCdr. Jebus posted:

Congrats back at you for the shore posting (and promotion). Staying subs or do you have to move on for now?

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

compressioncut posted:

Congrats back at you for the shore posting (and promotion). Staying subs or do you have to move on for now?

Promoted but not posted. The curse of the sub CSEO, I need a qualified replacement. I'm hoping within 6 months, but we will see.

My future shore jobs will all be sub related at least until Cdr tho. We don't let people go that easy.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Hahaha dat name change tho

Also i just found out that a guy that used to be a MBdr and got busted to Gnr for a hilarious incident involving an unloading tool now runs a fitness company where he calls himself "corporal"

Sir John Eh
Feb 27, 2007
They say Rene Descartes was a drunken fart, but I should have that title
Now that the navy's out of boats and doing better on the subs, what are the chances that you can get a working helo deck on the subs so that I might be able to go to sea again? Like, ever.

Also, if people still have lingering questions about the pilot training system, I'm still fresh enough out of it to answer them or at least call a couple people and get non-recruiting-boilerplate answers.

Frankie!
Apr 1, 2006
Ceci n'est pas un titre....

Sir John Eh posted:

Now that the navy's out of boats and doing better on the subs, what are the chances that you can get a working helo deck on the subs so that I might be able to go to sea again? Like, ever.

Also, if people still have lingering questions about the pilot training system, I'm still fresh enough out of it to answer them or at least call a couple people and get non-recruiting-boilerplate answers.

Well, can you go on about Helo training? Also, how unlikely is it to be posted to 438 Tactical Squadron?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

MA-Horus posted:

Hahaha dat name change tho

Also i just found out that a guy that used to be a MBdr and got busted to Gnr for a hilarious incident involving an unloading tool now runs a fitness company where he calls himself "corporal"

Go on...

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I'm going to have to second the above request!
Do go on...

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Yeah..you definitely can't just leave it at that. And if it's someone I knew..

Sir John Eh
Feb 27, 2007
They say Rene Descartes was a drunken fart, but I should have that title

Frankie! posted:

Well, can you go on about Helo training? Also, how unlikely is it to be posted to 438 Tactical Squadron?

PhIII has changed quite a bit since even I left. In the ever growing effort to increase output while reducing overall cost, the course has gone to even fewer hours than I had (I'll check my book at work tomorrow, but I think PhIII was about 100 hours including the Sim for me) and the syllabus has moved almost entirely to the Jet Ranger (except for those things that they simply can't take away from the 412). In all honesty, the hardest part of the helo course is the first 3 flights. If you can get ahold of actually flying the damned thing, the rest is basically doing PhII over again, just with the giant fan on top of the plane instead of the front.

Getting placements after the course works largely like getting streamed prior to PhIII, that is, they have a list of open slots ranked in priority, and candidates lists of preferences which is also run against class rankings. Like anything else, it also helps if you have a few people at wherever it is you're trying to go putting in words with the CHI in Portage while you're there and if the staff at the school actually likes you. But, basically, as long as the school can see the rest of their commitments being filled with all of the students that are currently in house, and you're not competing directly with like 5 other people with the same first choice, you can pretty much get what you want coming out of there.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'll write it up when I get home. And Vadoc if you've ever gone on ex with sw Ontario guns you for SURE know this guy. He has a certain reputation for...let's just say arrogance.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

OK So I promised story-time.

This MBdr was the king of Hi Speed Low Drag, liked to think he was super switched on, always the fastest, etc. Didn't always mean the BEST, but he didn't let that stop him.

So, he's Gun Det Commander on a 105mm C3 Howitzer. We're on Ex in Meaford, it's a sunday morning. We know it's going to be a fire mission battery, prepare to move/move, limber up and basically end-ex right there. So, in an effort to make his gun crew look super HSLD, He packs up the gun position save for the gun, cam-net, cam poles, ammo hootch and ammo. Everything else, including the Gun box (which contains various very useful items which might come into play in a moment) are chucked in the back of the gun tractor so when the movement order is given they can hook up the gun and get off position quicker than everyone else. Mainly so he can be :smug: about it to the other gun det commanders.

So we're shooting the mission, I believe it was 10 rounds or so, when half-way thru the mission a cease fire is called, and the move order is given. The other crews with one up the spout break out the unloading tool, depress the barrel of their guns and get the round out.

For reference's sake, an unloading tool looks like this.

Note the basket shape at the end, that cradles the tip and doesn't make solid impact with the fuze when attempting to unload the round...which sometimes takes a -little- bit of effort.

The unloading tool is kept in the gun-box. The gun-box that's currently buried under a mountain of personal kit on the back of the gun tractor. Instead of deciding to unbury it, and get the round out properly, this particular brain surgeon has a brilliant idea.

"LET'S JUST USE A CAM POLE INSTEAD"

It's just that, a green-painted wooden pole. Getting jammed down the barrel of a howitzer, pushing and shoving against the tip of a 105mm High Explosive round.

It gets jammed. More force is applied.

SNAP

The cam pole breaks off inside the barrel. Only THEN does the unloader get broken out. Because of the shattered cam-pole, THAT gets jammed in the gun.

The gun stayed on the position for several days while the ammo and gun techs figured out the best way to extract the round. It eventually got towed, VERY CAREFULLY, with a live round up the spout to the workshop, where it spent the next several months having the rifling re-done.

The MBdr had the book thrown at him. He ended up having to try and prove that there was no way that the round could have gone off with a strike to the fuze due to it's construction. They disagreed with his argument and he was busted from MBdr to Gunner.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
You artillery guys are silly. This would've been a perfectly plausible solution in the infantry. We would've pried it out or gotten blown up though.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

That's amazing.

The best Reserve Artillery mishap I've heard of is plowing a field with a C3.

Those were also guys from South-West Ontario.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

HAHAHAHA oh gently caress welp that's either 11FD or 7TOR

Good work there boys

Forgot to mention in my story; gun spent so much time uncleaned with the round up the spout that there was corrosion, had to re-line the gun.

6 months N/S, about a million bucks or so.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
Someone write up that man for his bush cap. It's far too faded. Mwah.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

DUDE IN THE GYM WEARING A LOGISTICS BERET WHILE LIFTING POORLY

THIS IS MISSISSAUGA

WHAT ARE YOU DOING

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!
Who wears a beret in the gym? What the gently caress?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Ruse posted:

Who wears a beret in the gym? What the gently caress?

Not even PSP guys wear uniform while exercising.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

MA-Horus posted:

DUDE IN THE GYM WEARING A LOGISTICS BERET WHILE LIFTING POORLY

THIS IS MISSISSAUGA

WHAT ARE YOU DOING

OMG get a picture and post it to lookatmyfuckingarmybag

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

It would have been really hard to take a picture because I was laughing so hard and the dude saw me laughing and it just made me laugh harder.

It was RIDICULOUS .

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!
I always wear my "outside the wire" top as my workout shirt with all my battle badges still on so other bros at the gym know I'm legit and too high speed to carry around a 'Good-life' bag. :whatup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
A tacvest but with the grenade pouches full of Mio squeeze thingies.

Edit: and a camelbak full of powerade