Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
IW was terrible but killing all the faction leaders (who you hated anyway) was such a great idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Alain Post posted:

I was legitimately upset that DXHR was a prequel and didn't follow on the ending of IW where you kill all the faction leaders.

Definitely a better ending than PRESS BUTAN

Shame on you HR

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I'm more upset there isn't a DXHR sequel yet. Or Sleeping Dogs. Square is funding/publishing the wrong titles.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Archer666 posted:

So Nippon Ichi Software is apparently going to go out of business if Disgaea 5 doesn't sell 150k copies. Considering D5 comes out the same day as Bloodborne, it seems inevitable. As somebody who has a strong dislike of otaku bullshit pandering video games like they've been popping out, this is good news.

Holy poo poo they're all the way up to Disgaea FIVE? I played their first three games, Disgaea, La Pucelle, and Phantom Brave, and then forgot all about them. I liked their gonzo take on tactics games but they never gripped me enough to finish any of them or really get into the grinds.

What, um, what kind of "otaku bullshit pandering" have they gotten up to?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

It's telling that IW only has one texture mod worth using (and it's a decent one) and basically nothing else while Deus ex has a bazillion mods out there.

I only use the giant texture mod everyone does when I play it (with the fix that makes the UI not explode) but I hear there are some decent ones that change other stuff.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Harlock posted:

I'm more upset there isn't a DXHR sequel yet.
It's in the works. Here's a screenshot of the new game engine, based on Hitman Absolution's.

The exact name isn't known yet, but it's part of something called "Deus Ex Universe", which basically means it'll be surrounded by books and poo poo in the same universe.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Widestancer posted:

It's telling that IW only has one texture mod worth using (and it's a decent one) and basically nothing else while Deus ex has a bazillion mods out there.

I only use the giant texture mod everyone does when I play it (with the fix that makes the UI not explode) but I hear there are some decent ones that change other stuff.
No official mod tools got released. Thief 3 got some, not sure what came of those, but DX2 never got any and nobody wants to go spelunking through file formats to any major extent and do things the hard way. Can you blame them?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
DXIW's engine was a complete dumpster fire too, so I can imagine that modding it might be frustrating.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

The Kins posted:

No official mod tools got released. Thief 3 got some, not sure what came of those, but DX2 never got any and nobody wants to go spelunking through file formats to any major extent and do things the hard way. Can you blame them?

Hell no. It had some neat concepts with it and I do think that if you can get it for like 5 bucks it's worth a play through. I'm glad that HR took more from the first game and less from the second though.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Alain Post posted:

DXIW's engine was a complete dumpster fire too, so I can imagine that modding it might be frustrating.
Thief 3 used the same one. All I know of stuff that came of that was a mod that reduced load times by stitching maps together... but I don't really follow Thief so maybe someone made something amazing that justifies that game. Probably not, though.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Also, on the topic of terrible engines: The guys who bought 3D Realms a while back have been going through all the old backups and carefully archiving everything, and apparently the decision to scrap everything and bolt a Doom 3-style lighting engine onto a battered Unreal engine happened the same year DXIW - which made the same stupid mistake - got released.

Frederik Schreiber posted:

The First Build is the Sidescroller. The one afterwards is an old Quake 1 build, which is primarily using Quake 1 assets, and a few new Duke assets, before they switched to Quake 2. Purely for experimenting with BSP based leveldesign, and getting to know the Quake engine.

The switch from Quake 1 - 2 literally happened within months, so there isn't a lot of content in the Quake 1 builds.

Quake 2 also lasted briefly, and everything you see in the 1998 trailer is literally 90% of what was done. The announcement to switch to Unreal Engine, actually happened before E3 1998.

The first Unreal builds, also consisted primarily of Unreal 1 assets. In 99 they had early versions of a few levels, and weapons done, which resulted in the 99 screenshots. Afterwards development sped up, and in late 2002, the "DNF 2001" build was at it's best, before changing to a new dynamic lighting renderer, which focused on normal maps instead (Doom 3 style).

From then on, the game completely changed, and almost everything was scrapped in small segments. All levels turned out black, as a result of implementing a fully dynamic lighting engine (Just like Doom 3, and Deus Ex 2). Assets were added, replaced, and ultimately large parts of the game was completely scrapped and redone.

The 2002 - 2009 builds ultimately makes up the version of the game you guys know today.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I bought an Xbone for 300 bucks and the only games I've got on it are D4 and Killer Instinct.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Beef Waifu posted:

I bought an Xbone for 300 bucks and the only games I've got on it are D4 and Killer Instinct.
My friend has an Xbone and he refuses to shut the gently caress up about IDARB. It seems pretty fun from what I played at PAX, but come on!

I've since coaxed him into getting addicted to The Pinball Arcade instead, which is fun and cool and also multiplatform.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't even know what IDARB is.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Beef Waifu posted:

I don't even know what IDARB is.
It's a local multiplayer platformer party game where you can draw your own character sprite in a web app and also it streams tweets with the game's name in it down the bottom of the screen.

In other words, I can guarantee you hate it sight unseen.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The Kins posted:

It's a local multiplayer platformer party game where you can draw your own character sprite in a web app and also it streams tweets with the game's name in it down the bottom of the screen.

In other words, I can guarantee you hate it sight unseen.

:10bux: says this makes the same mistake the RSA conference made and opens linked pictures sight unseen, and this feature will be shut down following a few goatse's. And then deactivate it entirely once it turns out half the tweets have rape threats and half have racial slurs.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

univbee posted:

:10bux: says this makes the same mistake the RSA conference made and opens linked pictures sight unseen, and this feature will be shut down following a few goatse's. And then deactivate it entirely once it turns out half the tweets have rape threats and half have racial slurs.
They had the feature enabled on the PAX demo, it looked like a news ticker at the bottom of the screen. I didn't see any links or copious profanity, which means either there's some vague-ish attempt at filtering, they were using pre-collected tweets for the demo so they didn't have to connect to the jam-packed expo hall network, or the insidious beast that is the internet just hasn't caught on yet. Probably a mixture of all three, really.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Zombie Samurai posted:

Holy poo poo they're all the way up to Disgaea FIVE? I played their first three games, Disgaea, La Pucelle, and Phantom Brave, and then forgot all about them. I liked their gonzo take on tactics games but they never gripped me enough to finish any of them or really get into the grinds.

What, um, what kind of "otaku bullshit pandering" have they gotten up to?

There are actually a bunch more than 5 Disgaea games. There are also a few spinoffs starring Prinnies, a time traveling crossover game and maybe other stuff that I don't know about.

Well they kinda started with Etna being the 10000 year old demon who looked like a child that got a whole bunch of nerds horny. Then her clothes became skimpier with each Disgaea. Then there is Prinny 2: Dawn of Operation of Panties which is about her panties being stolen. Also the pre-order bonus for that came with a pair of titular panties for you to...sniff or something.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Archer666 posted:

There are actually a bunch more than 5 Disgaea games. There are also a few spinoffs starring Prinnies, a time traveling crossover game and maybe other stuff that I don't know about.

Well they kinda started with Etna being the 10000 year old demon who looked like a child that got a whole bunch of nerds horny. Then her clothes became skimpier with each Disgaea. Then there is Prinny 2: Dawn of Operation of Panties which is about her panties being stolen. Also the pre-order bonus for that came with a pair of titular panties for you to...sniff or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOPlK10Rcdk

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Nippon Ichi should just give all their money to CAVE with the last will-style stipulation that it only get spent on shmups instead of F2P mobile treadmills. That way all the creepy nerds stay happy and safely indoors, and we get some awesome bullet hell games to play.

Please sign my internet petition, we can make this happen.

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

I sold the wii u gamecube controller adapter for about $113 on ebay. Welp that's my latest video game story. Thanks for listening.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
This is a good thread and I love video games, that's my story. I'm gonna go play some Mario 3D Worlds, it's really fun and I never sunk much time in it last year when it came out. I can't let myself buy Captain Toad until I finish some of the games I've already let build up.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The Kins posted:

Nippon Ichi should just give all their money to CAVE with the last will-style stipulation that it only get spent on shmups instead of F2P mobile treadmills. That way all the creepy nerds stay happy and safely indoors, and we get some awesome bullet hell games to play.

Please sign my internet petition, we can make this happen.

why on earth would you think shmups are safe from creepy anime poo poo?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touhou_Project

that's literally my mental image of shmups, anime games

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 10, 2014

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

persona

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

why on earth would you think shmups are safe from creepy anime poo poo?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touhou_Project

The Kins posted:

That way all the creepy nerds stay happy and safely indoors

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Shmups are badass.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I'd love for a mod to sticky this thread.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
i make video games and sometimes i play them and it's great fun.

Stux posted:

the best zelda is links awakening

yessir

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I'm more of a Link to the Past guy, but I didn't get Link's Awakening until the GBC re-release so it might just be a nostalgia thing. Like how I think Soul Calibur was the only good Dreamcast game because it was the first one I played at the time and never had access to any of the Capcom fighters.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Link's Awakening and Majora's Mask are simultaneously the two most underrated and overrated Zelda games

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Archer666 posted:

The Prinny games were really good in that "this game is loving hard and hates me" kind of way. I did like the way they let you tackle the levels in any order and the challenge would go up no matter which order you did them in leading to not only many different versions of every level but many different versions of every boss. Still, it really sucked to get stuck in a miserably hard level with the only option being to start over to do it earlier or put it off and hope the way they made the level harder somehow made it more manageable overall.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!
I went to Seattle Gameworks yesterday afternoon and had a good, if not somewhat expensive time playing arcade games. I have gone without playing actual arcade DDR for too long.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Adam Bowen posted:

Link's Awakening and Majora's Mask are simultaneously the two most underrated and overrated Zelda games

woah

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

tinkerttoy posted:

Just beat Halo 2 (ten loving years late). It was good, but I lament Master Chief's lack of character now that he's paired with the comparatively colorful Arbiter. Also, the gimmicky bosses were trash.

The Halo games are pretty loving awesome but they have no clue how to do good boss fights.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
My favorite zelda game is oracle of seasons because it had the Subrosians

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

DolphinCop posted:

My favorite zelda game is oracle of seasons because it had the Subrosians

I was always sad I never picked up Oracle of Seasons/Ages. They feel like the only Zelda games no one ever talks about.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
the only Zelda ive ever played is the Legend of Zelda. and goddamn it is good fun but balls to the wall difficult.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
If you don't know the Oracle games are on the 3DS Eshop.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Oracle of Ages/Seasons are fun but a couple of the dungeons are absolutely terrible

loving Jabu Jabu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I want more 2D platformers for this gen. Rayman Legends/Origins is loving amazing. New tech doesn't have to mean balls out 3D with lovely concrete and paper spectators. Sega Saturn and PS1 had incredible 2D games, as well as PS2. Shattered Soldier comes to mind immediately. The Strider remake. Ducktales. I haven't played it but Guacamelee gets love for being a Metroidvania, obviously people still like that poo poo.

• Locked thread