Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Crotch Fruit posted:

This is really a potential de-rail, but is chip and pin really that much more secure than a magnetic stripe? I haven't read enough about, but it seems like all you need is a chip reader and a way to see the pin and it would just a secure as a magnetic stripe.

The point is, you can't clone a chip & pin card. Any sufficiently unscrupulous person can clone a regular credit card and spend all day swiping it around town. With a chip&pin card, the transaction is cryptographically secured such that only your card can make a transaction, and someone who knows the pin must be present at that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Crotch Fruit posted:

Why do these cars no use a weight sensor to say "get back in the loving driver seat"??

They do, they have sensors in the wheels to detect if someone is gripping it. But they're easily defeated.. I think the Acura one just needs you to squish a soda can against the wheel so it's probably based on conductivity.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Ludicro posted:

I used a poor choice of words, I should have said more involving as opposed to more difficult. Ultimately I can see where the replies are coming from and they're bang on the money really. Perhaps as someone who enjoys driving, has a hot hatch and does a lot of rural driving as opposed to a commuter who has to endure endless stop start congestion in cities perhaps I just can't understand the mentality.

It seems to me as an outsider that the US has a very slack driving education system. I have tried to google how it actually works along with what is expected of a learner, but all the results are basically pages saying how easy the US one is and how hard the UK one is in comparison. If an American would explain what a typical learning process is like I'd be grateful.

Depends on the state/particular DMV but many places require no training and just require someone pass a trivial written test and to drive around the block and not hit anything. Although hilarious, that is not a joke.

quote:

I see this thrown about a lot, how is this legal? In the UK and most of Europe there is some form of annual inspection (MOTs in the UK) to ensure your car is safe and roadworthy. To fail one of these basically renders your vehicle illegal to drive on public roads until the issues are rectified. I tried googling again, but it seems the US doesn't seem to have anything like this apart from emissions. This can't be right surely?
Depends on the state/area. Some have no inspections, some only have emissions, some have basic safety inspections. Also, illegally driving a non-compliant vehicle is only a problem if you get caught. If you have to choose between driving an uninsured/unregistered/uninspected vehicle or not having a job then many people choose the job.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

DEAR RICHARD posted:

I came outside to this earlier:

Someone had parked more than insanely close to my car. The bolts holding their license plate on were almost touching my bumper.

This is what pisses me off the most:

I think they might have had room to not park like a total dick.

There is an extremely battered Camry wagon in my street that likes to park like that as a matter of course. The funny thing is as near as I can tell they've never actually hit my car (or anyone else's for that matter) and I've looked very closely indeed for damage.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Here's a follow-up to the last bit about getting a license. This course is where I took my license test 20 years ago and looks pretty similar aside from the parallel parking used to be on the second half of the course, but basically now you parallel park in between cones set up at A, do a three-point turn at B and have to stop at all the S's and look both ways before proceeding. I got a point off for not turning my head to make it obvious i was carefully looking to my left on the grass where there used to be a row of bushes. Silly me for assuming there wouldn't be oncoming traffic from bushes.

Edit: I should add that if you make contact with any cone you insta-fail.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Galler posted:

Also, illegally driving a non-compliant vehicle is only a problem if you get caught.

And going further down the rabbit hole, US law enforcement by and large only really enforce a handful of traffic laws - mainly speeding and DUI, with non-moving violations like stereo too loud or tint too dark being distant seconds. Almost every other law is pretty much ignored unless you give an officer a reason to be a dick or do something monumentally stupid in plain sight of an on-duty officer. The cause is a combination of a culture of "not my job/not my problem" within the law enforcement community, and leadership within law enforcement preferring the more profitable (and easier to prosecute) speeding and drunk driving tickets. In some departments not writing enough of the right kind of citation is considered poor job performance.

So basically, even if you're driving a beater on it's last legs that is likely to kill you and everyone around you, you probably won't get cited unless it happens to fail spectacularly while you're being followed by a police car.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 10, 2014

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

davebo posted:

I think it varies by state, and we do have emissions inspections every 2 years in Maryland, but we only have to have the car inspected when we go to sell it, or if you move here from out of state car and need to reregister it for Maryland. But to answer your question of how it's legal., it's legal because of freedom :911:

Galler posted:

Depends on the state/area. Some have no inspections, some only have emissions, some have basic safety inspections. Also, illegally driving a non-compliant vehicle is only a problem if you get caught. If you have to choose between driving an uninsured/unregistered/uninspected vehicle or not having a job then many people choose the job.

Good lord. :psyduck: Over here you can fail the MOT for having a number plate that is too dirty. Yes you could clean it straight away and have another MOT and pass, but there are a lot of silly easily avoided pitfalls that can jump out at you.

Do you not have automatic numberplate recognition in the states? Over here police cars are fitted with automatic numberplate scanners that scan your plate and check with a central database. Everything about the car is kept in this database, including the details of the registered keeper, if it has been reported stolen, whether there is a valid insurance policy on the car, if the road tax has been paid for the car, if it has passed its last MOT or not etc. Incidentally this is why we have strict regulations on numberplate designs, and having an obscured plate or a design with incorrect font/spacing/colours could land you with a £1000 fine. So whilst you can get away with it for a while its only a matter of time before the recognition system catches you out.

I'm going out for a short while so I'll have to respond to the stuff about the US driving test later, but holy poo poo that really is laughably easy.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Ludicro posted:

Good lord. :psyduck: Over here you can fail the MOT for having a number plate that is too dirty. Yes you could clean it straight away and have another MOT and pass, but there are a lot of silly easily avoided pitfalls that can jump out at you.

Do you not have automatic numberplate recognition in the states? Over here police cars are fitted with automatic numberplate scanners that scan your plate and check with a central database. Everything about the car is kept in this database, including the details of the registered keeper, if it has been reported stolen, whether there is a valid insurance policy on the car, if the road tax has been paid for the car, if it has passed its last MOT or not etc. Incidentally this is why we have strict regulations on numberplate designs, and having an obscured plate or a design with incorrect font/spacing/colours could land you with a £1000 fine. So whilst you can get away with it for a while its only a matter of time before the recognition system catches you out.

I'm going out for a short while so I'll have to respond to the stuff about the US driving test later, but holy poo poo that really is laughably easy.

In FREEDOMVILLE, USA, things like valid license, insurance, tax, and inspection are all kept in separate databases run by separate government entities. It's impossible to execute a lookup against all of those. Police do use automatic plate recognition to catch stolen cars, and tollway authorities use it to charge tolls sometimes, but there's no central way to do everything y'all do over there.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Ludicro posted:

Here in Connecticut all we have for inspections is an emissions test every two years for cars older than 5 and newer than 25 years old. So two of my cars are too old and the other is too new. When I got my '71 LTD I could have registered it right away even though it barely ran, all the tires were dry-rotted, most of the lights didn't work, and the brake system needed to be completely replaced. My dad registered his Chevelle when it was still a dedicated drag car lacking things like blinkers and working headlights.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Safety Dance posted:

On both counts, laws vary widely from state to state, sometimes county to county.

Where I learned to drive, the minimum requirements were:
- Be 15
- Pass an anti-drug education course at school
- Pass a written exam detailing basic road rules and signs
- Receive learner's permit
- Take driving course or drive at least 40 hours with a licensed driver in the passenger's seat
- Take basic driving exam (bring vehicle up to 25mph and stop, reverse in a straight line, parallel park, drive a few blocks on public roads)
- Receive driver's license

Thanks for this, quite a difference. Alright then, so for contrast heres how it works in the UK:

Firstly you need to get a provisional driving licence, which you can get from the age of 15 and 9 months, however you cannot operate a motor car until you are 17. There are two parts to the process, the theory test, and the practical test. You can take and pass the theory test from the same age you can get a provisional, and you must pass the practical test within 2 years of passing the theory. However, given you can't drive a car until you are 17, most people don't bother until they are at least on the verge of turning 17.

The theory test consists of two parts; a series of multiple choice questions, and a series of hazard perception tests.
- There are 50 multiple choice questions.
- These 50 questions are taken at a random from a bank of 1000 questions.
- Some of the questions have multiple answers.
- You have 57 minutes to complete this part of the test.
- The pass mark is 43 correct out of 50.
- Hazard perception involves viewing 14 video clips from the drivers point of view.
- Each clip has a hazard that presents itself, however one of the clips will have two hazards.
- You have to click the mouse as soon as you detect the hazard. It uses a points system based off of how early you spot the hazard on a sliding scale from 5 points to 1.
- Naturally failing to spot the hazard awards 0 points.
- If you click constantly and regularly throughout the clip you are automatically awarded 0 points to prevent cheating.
- I frankly think this part of the test is bullshit because you are not allowed points for spotting a hazard as it develops, only once it has developed. Also the clips are really poor quality.
- The maximum amount of points you can get per clip is 5 (10 for the clip with two hazards.
- The passing score is 44 out of 75.

So once you've passed your theory you can take the practical test. There is no real requirement for a minimum amount of hours spent learning to drive, you just have to demonstrate that you are capable of passing the test. Generally those who've spent little time learning and practicing don't get far. Typically the practical test takes around 40 minutes and will include the following:

- A variety of traffic conditions (for example, crowded residential roads at 20mph, normal built up areas at 30mph, dual carriageways at 70mph).
- Normal stops.
- An emergency stop (if a safe opportunity presents itself).
- Angle starts (pulling out from behind a parked vehicle).
- A hill start.
- One of the following; reverse around a corner to the left, turn in the road (3 point turn, but they'll allow up to 5), reverse bay park, or parallel park.
- 10 minutes of independent driving. This basically means general directions from the examiner while they leave you to follow signs and traffic signals on your own.

Any mistakes you make during the practical are recorded as faults. There are three types of fault, minor, serious and dangerous. Minor faults are stupid poo poo like not checking mirrors before indicating, or stalling, or even not using wipers if it starts raining, that kind of thing. A serious fault is something that could potentially place you in a dangerous position, like changing lanes without looking or signalling. Repeatedly making the same minor fault over and over again could also be classed as a serious. A dangerous fault is actually placing yourself in a dangerous position, or creating a situation where the instructor has to use his controls or cause other road users to take evasive action. You can get up to 15 minors without failing the test, but 1 serious fault and you fail. If you get a dangerous fault you also fail the test, although if you was to really do something serious enough the test will be stopped immediately.

So if you make it through that, congratulations, you've got a shiny UK driving licence. Don't rack up 6 points on your licence (two speeding offences is enough to do this) within 2 years of passing or you lose it and will have to take it again!

Tl;dr: UK driving tests are hard.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

In Texas we used to have some insane percentage of uninsured drivers in the state; around 25% or so. They updated the database systems and have automatic plate scanning with automated lookup to those databases and the state courts have ruled that a "uninsured" hit is probable cause to pull someone over. Most of the local patrol cars don't have the cameras mounted but I have seen them in some highway patrol cars. We are supposedly down to 14% now.

The minimum liability limits are stupidly low though at just 25k property damage per incident so not having underinsured motorist coverage is just dumb.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Shifty Pony posted:

In Texas we used to have some insane percentage of uninsured drivers in the state; around 25% or so. They updated the database systems and have automatic plate scanning with automated lookup to those databases and the state courts have ruled that a "uninsured" hit is probable cause to pull someone over. Most of the local patrol cars don't have the cameras mounted but I have seen them in some highway patrol cars. We are supposedly down to 14% now.

The minimum liability limits are stupidly low though at just 25k property damage per incident so not having underinsured motorist coverage is just dumb.

Whats the penalty for driving uninsured in Texas?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Ludicro posted:

Whats the penalty for driving uninsured in Texas?

Ain't no penalty, sheriff just makes you dig a hole then he puts you in it. :clint:

e.

quote:

Driving without insurance is not a good idea, and there are severe penalties for doing so. First time offenders are subject to a fine of up to $350, plus court costs, and may be assessed additional fees as authorized by Transportation Code Chapter 708: http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/TN/htm/TN.708.htm. Repeat offenders face fines of up to $1,000 and a two (2) year driver license suspension.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 10, 2014

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

And the average insurance cost in Texas is over $1k per year, our cities sprawling, our public transit is absolutely godawful, and our wages poo poo. It is no wonder people try to go without.

Lots of wheel and tire rent to own places as well, doing brisk business in steelies with basic tires on them.

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009
The northwest corner of Ohio has no safety inspections. Hence all kinds of deathtraps rolling around the city. The cops are busy enough trying to keep normal crime down.

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

Crotch Fruit posted:

What kind of bus do you drive that only weights 4,000lbs? A typical full size school bus is 30,000GVWR, I don't know about city or other buses but I fell safe in assuming your bus weighs more than 2 tons.

This kind of bus:

Unbelievably slow, and quite hard to stop.

Safety Dance posted:

quote:

quote:
Driving without insurance is not a good idea, and there are severe penalties for doing so. First time offenders are subject to a fine of up to $350, plus court costs, and may be assessed additional fees as authorized by Transportation Code Chapter 708: http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx....htm/TN.708.htm. Repeat offenders face fines of up to $1,000 and a two (2) year driver license suspension.

So, if you slam into someone's brand new Mercedes, you just get a $350 fine and you're off the hook? :confused:

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

PhoenixWing posted:

This kind of bus:

Unbelievably slow, and quite hard to stop.

So, if you slam into someone's brand new Mercedes, you just get a $350 fine and you're off the hook? :confused:

That's the criminal penalty for just the lack of insurance, you can be sure as hell that the person in question is going to try to extract as much of your finances as physically possible with a civil suit.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

That's the criminal penalty for just the lack of insurance, you can be sure as hell that the person in question's insurer and their army of highly paid lawyers is going to try to extract as much of your finances as physically possible with a civil suit.

Fixed...

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

It's funny that a lot of people don't even think about their coverage and have only state minimum. If you rear end someone in an S8 and send two of the passengers to the hospital with whiplash your 15k state minimum liability is going to do exactly jack poo poo. Upping your liability coverage is cheap and is a really, really good idea if you've got assets and would like to keep them/are planning on acquiring any in the near (or far) future.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Geoj posted:

Fixed...

Not so much. The uninsured collection rate is really low as an industry average. If they don't have any assets to sue you're really out of luck. Some states you can suspend the DL, but if they are already driving uninsured it isn't a strong deterrent.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Geoj posted:

And going further down the rabbit hole, US law enforcement by and large only really enforce a handful of traffic laws - mainly speeding and DUI, with non-moving violations like stereo too loud or tint too dark being distant seconds. Almost every other law is pretty much ignored unless you give an officer a reason to be a dick or do something monumentally stupid in plain sight of an on-duty officer.

So for a few years, my dad was really busy with life, work, almost dying, and some other poo poo. So for 3-4 years, he registered his car, but never put on the new tabs. He's a older white guy who wears business clothes most of the time and drives a nicer car. He got pulled over in 2010 or something with 2006 tabs. Never stopped before for it.
(Cop didn't tow it because dad is a white guy in a suit in a nice car and is registration was up to date. He got a fix it ticket that cost him $25.)

Basically, if you're a reasonably wealthy looking middle aged or older white dude you won't get stopped for poo poo unless you're speeding. Speeding a lot. Equipment or similar violations don't matter.

----
I Minnesota no insurance is a criminal violation that can send you to jail. If you don't want to go to jail, you probably need to fix the car you hit or at least pay the deductible.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
Started parking on the nearest public street that isn't a no parking zone a few months ago, over a mile away, because trees kept falling in my apartment's parking lot and I've had multiple break ins and theft attempts in the past year. It was a pretty chill parking situation -- well lit, no trees around, plenty of houses around, dead end street, and the only cars I ever see are a few hondas that have never moved and a pair of clean G37's. That is, until last week a new car showed up. A dealer plates Toyota Camry with no less than 6 student driver stickers (2 on the front, 2 on the back, and huge caution tape looking ones along the side) with curbed to poo poo wheels parked on the sidewalk with their front end hitting someone's truck. I should mention it's the kind of sidewalk with a tall burr, rather than a sloped ledge. How do you even gently caress that up in a sedan? I rue the day this person decides to park next to me.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Bugdrvr posted:

It's funny that a lot of people don't even think about their coverage and have only state minimum. If you rear end someone in an S8 and send two of the passengers to the hospital with whiplash your 15k state minimum liability is going to do exactly jack poo poo. Upping your liability coverage is cheap and is a really, really good idea if you've got assets and would like to keep them/are planning on acquiring any in the near (or far) future.

I have my current insurance agent to thank for getting me off this train. He doesn't just sell you what you ask for, he calls you in to the office once every couple years and has a meeting to "evaluate your portfolio". This is on the one hand an excellent sales tactic in that he gets face to face time rather than phone calls where you can't wait to hang up. But on the other hand it can really benefit you as a policyholder. Here I was almost 20 years into my career, making a professional wage, and even though I had full comprehensive and collision, I was still running state minimums. He simply said "You know, you make enough that if you cause an accident that hits the policy limit they'll come after your wages and assets." Then I found out it was only like $12 a month to more than triple my coverage.

gently caress yeah insurance man, you earn that commission.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

LloydDobler posted:

I have my current insurance agent to thank for getting me off this train. He doesn't just sell you what you ask for, he calls you in to the office once every couple years and has a meeting to "evaluate your portfolio". This is on the one hand an excellent sales tactic in that he gets face to face time rather than phone calls where you can't wait to hang up. But on the other hand it can really benefit you as a policyholder. Here I was almost 20 years into my career, making a professional wage, and even though I had full comprehensive and collision, I was still running state minimums. He simply said "You know, you make enough that if you cause an accident that hits the policy limit they'll come after your wages and assets." Then I found out it was only like $12 a month to more than triple my coverage.

gently caress yeah insurance man, you earn that commission.

Confirming. Not having the state minimums saved my rear end this year after rear ending someone who sued due to back pain. Even though they were in a loving neck brace already when I hit them. :v:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Bugdrvr posted:

Minimum liability seems such a bizarre concept to me: especially when you have $15k policies in a country where people will sue for $64M over a pair of dry cleaned trousers.

Just for interest, I looked up the small print in my UK policy to see if there was some kind of limit for claims against me and there isn't one. Not even something arbitary like £50M per claim.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
In the US everybody is poor so plaintiffs attorneys will say "how high are their limits?" "15k" "Ok, we're suing for 15k". If you have wealth to protect then obviously you're not sitting on minimum coverage.

By the way in my state we have no inspections, emissions testing, front plates, window stickers, etc etc etc. I send about 55 bucks a year to the state and that's the end of my obligation.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

When the average run-of-the-mill SUV you share the road with is well north of $40k, minimum liability is a pretty dumb thing to maintain unless you quite literally have no assets and make no money. Even then, you can have a judgement against you that will cause you no end of pain even if there is nothing to take today.

As LloydDobler said - it's a great idea to sit down with your agent and actually talk about stuff like this, and determine what level of coverage is right for you.

revmoo posted:

By the way in my state we have no inspections, emissions testing, front plates, window stickers, etc etc etc. I send about 55 bucks a year to the state and that's the end of my obligation.

In AZ the emissions requirements vary by county. If you live in a county where the metro areas are located (Maricopa & Pima) then you need to get emissions testing every 2 years on newer vehicles, and then every year after a certain age. The only 'inspection' other than when you get emissions testing (which only inspects for things like cats) is if you bring a car in from out of state and register it in AZ for the first time, then you must take it down to a DMV office and have it inspected. The inspection is pretty minimal, they push on the brake pedal, make sure the car has seatbelts, and doesn't look like it's about to catch on fire or something. No front license plates - they were eliminated quite a long time ago as a cost saving thing back when they still issued stamped metal plates.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

The Locator posted:

back when they still issued stamped metal plates.

What the hell are they made out of now?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

When the average run-of-the-mill SUV you share the road with is well north of $40k, minimum liability is a pretty dumb thing to maintain unless you quite literally have no assets and make no money. Even then, you can have a judgement against you that will cause you no end of pain even if there is nothing to take today.

Nthing that increased liability limits are cheap if your record is mostly clean. My wife and I have one at-fault claim between the two of us and it is stupid low amounts of money to get to ~10x the hilariously low minimum limits in AZ.

The Locator posted:

In AZ the emissions requirements vary by county. If you live in a county where the metro areas are located (Maricopa & Pima) then you need to get emissions testing every 2 years on newer vehicles, and then every year after a certain age. The only 'inspection' other than when you get emissions testing (which only inspects for things like cats) is if you bring a car in from out of state and register it in AZ for the first time, then you must take it down to a DMV office and have it inspected. The inspection is pretty minimal, they push on the brake pedal, make sure the car has seatbelts, and doesn't look like it's about to catch on fire or something. No front license plates - they were eliminated quite a long time ago as a cost saving thing back when they still issued stamped metal plates.

Close - vehicles <5yr old get a blanket pass on emissions. 1967-1980 get a basic idle / steady-speed driving sniffer test annually. 1981-1995 get an IM147 drive cycle every other year. 1996-up get an OBDII test every other year. The only other test I've ever seen them do is a gas cap test - I've never seen them actually look closely enough at a vehicle to see if any of the emissions equipment is actually present. For that matter, they never looked at our old 280ZX to figure out if all six injectors were plugged in :haw:

Thankfully for my GMC, if you keep 'classic' insurance on something, it gets the same blanket pass on emissions as a new car, so I can buy tabs for it five years at a time now.

I've heard they've actually eliminated the out-of-state inspection, and even when I did deal with it once it was almost entirely to make sure it wasn't stolen or built out of stolen parts. The Opel GT they inspected was barely roadworthy at best.

Michael Scott posted:

What the hell are they made out of now?

Still metal, just flat printed instead of stamped.

I don't think they've issued two plates for regular registrations since 1997, but vanity / other customizations still get you a pair if you want to run one on the front.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 11, 2014

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Register in Yavapai county. :smug:

Which worked out since I've been completely incapable of fixing my EVAP leak for the entire time I've owned the vehicle. :v:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The Locator posted:

When I was shopping around for new insurance the agents kept saying that I was way above the minimum and that they could lower my payments if I reduced coverage. It was rather confusing but I guess they are used to people asking for the cheapest coverage possible.

There are entirely too many Tesla, Rover, and Porsche vehicles on the road here to ride with $25k in liability coverage. I'm not about to risk my lifetime earnings because of a fuckup involving one or two nouveau riche midlife crisis cars.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The obvious solution is to be a perfect driver and never ever get in an accident where you are at fault. :colbert:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

xzzy posted:

The obvious solution is to be a perfect driver and never ever get in an accident where you are at fault. :colbert:

What makes you think insurance rating models don't include "being in a not at fault accident means you're at a higher risk to be in an accident in the future because reasons"? Remember that auto insurance regulations in the US basically consist of "you can model your rates any way you please just as long as you disclose it at the beginning of the fiscal year" and a good statistician can make any one set of data indicate whatever the customer wants it to.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Geoj posted:

What makes you think insurance rating models don't include "being in a not at fault accident means you're at a higher risk to be in an accident in the future because reasons"? Remember that auto insurance regulations in the US basically consist of "you can model your rates any way you please just as long as you disclose it at the beginning of the fiscal year" and a good statistician can make any one set of data indicate whatever the customer wants it to.

Because they do the right thing sometimes? :v:

My car was destroyed a couple years ago by a driver in oncoming traffic passing out and slamming into me head on. I didn't pay a dime, my rates didn't go up. I was actually pretty surprised how smoothly the whole thing went, I'd never been in a wreck and based on what I'd head of other people's experiences was worried it was going to be a giant clusterfuck. But nope, I submitted the claim, they sent an adjuster out to inspect my car, cut me a check, and that was the end of it.

(both of us had the same insurance company so maybe that helped)

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

You've kept up on that far better than I have.

IOwnCalculus posted:

The only other test I've ever seen them do is a gas cap test - I've never seen them actually look closely enough at a vehicle to see if any of the emissions equipment is actually present. For that matter, they never looked at our old 280ZX to figure out if all six injectors were plugged in :haw:

They keep one of those mirror-on-a-stick thingies to look under the car for cats, but I'm not sure they actually know what cats look like, since back when I had my '99 Cobra it had a cat-less X-pipe and they never said a word about it. It passed the OBDII plug-in test (because I'd reset all the alerts in the computer about 150-200 miles before getting it tested) and I guess they pushed the mirror thing around just to look like they were doing something. They would usually also open the hood and look around, although no idea if they knew what they were looking at. They really do test the fuel cap for leakage though.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've heard they've actually eliminated the out-of-state inspection, and even when I did deal with it once it was almost entirely to make sure it wasn't stolen or built out of stolen parts. The Opel GT they inspected was barely roadworthy at best.

When I bought my M3 it had to be inspected (it came from Colorado), but that was about 5 years ago, so it's possible they've dropped it since then.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Still metal, just flat printed instead of stamped.

Maybe too many inmates* complained about the dangers of the stamping machines. :v:

Shifty Pony posted:

When I was shopping around for new insurance the agents kept saying that I was way above the minimum and that they could lower my payments if I reduced coverage. It was rather confusing but I guess they are used to people asking for the cheapest coverage possible.

There are entirely too many Tesla, Rover, and Porsche vehicles on the road here to ride with $25k in liability coverage. I'm not about to risk my lifetime earnings because of a fuckup involving one or two nouveau riche midlife crisis cars.

Yea, every time I get an offer from some insurance company to reduce my rates, they try to quote basic minimum coverage. When I tell them I want the same coverage I've got now, they suddenly can't save me all that money they claim to be able to save me. Even though I commute in a cheap rear end Fiesta, the cars all around me during that drive range from beaters that minimum would cover up to all the vehicles you mention and plenty of other cars that would ring in from $50k-$100k+. Hell, most of the average pickup trucks that make up 50% of the traffic here would cost well over $30k to replace. Not particularly interested in getting the bill for one of those (plus the guaranteed medical claims even if nobody was actually injured) if I did something dumb and only had $15k/$25k coverage.

*I have no idea if license plates are still made in prisons, or were ever actually made in prisons, even though that is/was what everyone thinks.

Edit:

xzzy posted:

Because they do the right thing sometimes? :v:

My car was destroyed a couple years ago by a driver in oncoming traffic passing out and slamming into me head on. I didn't pay a dime, my rates didn't go up. I was actually pretty surprised how smoothly the whole thing went, I'd never been in a wreck and based on what I'd head of other people's experiences was worried it was going to be a giant clusterfuck. But nope, I submitted the claim, they sent an adjuster out to inspect my car, cut me a check, and that was the end of it.

(both of us had the same insurance company so maybe that helped)

I was in an accident about 13 months ago where the other guy was at fault. He had Progressive, I have State Farm Mutual. State Farm was notified and immediately offered to take care of everything and go after Progressive if I had any issues. Luckily Progressive took care of everything just fine, and like you, no issues or rate increase.

It was a big reminder of how pathetic minimum coverage is, as the damage to my car which is stupidly cheap came drat near to either totaling the car, or clipping the mininum limits (toss a coin as to which it would be) and the other driver only had minimum coverage. My medical, for only minor bruising and a sprained wrist was almost 3 grand.

This right here is what $8,000 worth of damage looks like on a pretty basic $15k car.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 11, 2014

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

You've kept up on that far better than I have.

I've owned too many shitboxes that were a crapshoot to get through emissions - my GMC, aforementioned 280ZX, and my Volvo 240. The latter two I really should've just made use of mailing addresses at relatives who live outside the county, but :effort:

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

The Locator posted:

*I have no idea if license plates are still made in prisons, or were ever actually made in prisons, even though that is/was what everyone thinks.

http://www.cqql.net/adrian.htm

In many U.S. states, including NC and MI, and I imagine others that don't want to publicize it so it's buried in public info somewhere, license plates are made by prison inmates.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Register in Yavapai county. :smug:

Which worked out since I've been completely incapable of fixing my EVAP leak for the entire time I've owned the vehicle. :v:

My Subaru is still registered in Coconino county! As someone earlier mentioned, you only have to get emissions tests in Maricopa and Pima counties, which was great because the cat system on my Outback was replaced with a non-OEM system, which doesn't meet Subaru standards, which sets off the check engine light. This was no problem for two years, but then I moved to Texas. My registration expires at the end of this month. I'm doomed.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

All I know about Texas is that they definitely give a poo poo about things AZ ignores, like electric exhaust cutouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Almost got sideswiped by a lifted brotruck that had a back window covered in stickers and a GIT R DUN license plate. He decided that lanes didn't apply to him entering I-39 and he could just keep moving all the way left when he merged on. Had I not seen him coming and stomped my brakes he would have shoved me right in to the median.

Funzo fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 12, 2014