Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Require More Fire posted:

Finally got 5.0.1 on my 2013 N7. I don't see any Smart Lock options. Is there no Smart Lock for tablets or something?
It requires the latest Play Services as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Haha I just realized that I'd forgotten about the n9 cover. I wonder if that thing will never come around.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Hell yeah I also just received the 5.0.1 update for my Nexus 7. Looks great! Gotta play some more with it though.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

ChiTownEddie posted:

Haha I just realized that I'd forgotten about the n9 cover. I wonder if that thing will never come around.

It's shipping from Play, and Amazon told me mine's on the road as of last week.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Caphi posted:

It's shipping from Play, and Amazon told me mine's on the road as of last week.

Still says "Coming soon" on the play store for me?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

beerinator posted:

Still says "Coming soon" on the play store for me?

Yeah, same here, I haven't ever seen it in stock.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Oh, the origami cover. Sorry, mine's the folio.

mars
Apr 5, 2005

Finally got 5.0.1 on my 2013 N7. I don't see any Smart Lock options. Is there no Smart Lock for tablets or something?

You need to turn on smart lock in trust agents under security before you can use it.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

mars posted:

You need to turn on smart lock in trust agents under security before you can use it.

Oh, there it is. Rad. Thanks!

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Caphi posted:

Oh, the origami cover. Sorry, mine's the folio.

You'd think the origami cover would be the easier one to produce, so something really must have gone wrong with the entire batch.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
At this point 5.0.1 is performing much better than 5 did on my N7 but I'd have to give it a couple of weeks before saying it truly fixed things.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Tunga posted:

It requires the latest Play Services as well.

Furthermore, in order for the option to show up after the Play Services package was updated, the device needs to be rebooted.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

Furthermore, in order for the option to show up after the Play Services package was updated, the device needs to be rebooted.

Sometimes just one reboot won't fix it and you'll just need to wait for a while.

rt_hat
Aug 3, 2003
YARRRR

I think the Smart Lock comes in a Google Play Services update, not sure if it has been released yet.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Freescale announces a 15W Qi wireless charging circuit. This could be nice; the battery on the Nexus 7 takes pretty long to charge up from zero on 5W Qi.

http://otp.investis.com/clients/us/free_scale/usn/usnews-story.aspx?newsid=22270&cid=896

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

rt_hat posted:

I think the Smart Lock comes in a Google Play Services update, not sure if it has been released yet.

Came some time ago to my N10 and works fine so far.

Anyways, why a 8MB 0.0.1 Android update forces all apps to recompile? That takes forever :D

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

So I got a notification for the OTA update and I tapped accept. It even told me to reboot to install and then I noticed that my N7 looked exactly the same after 10 minutes. Now my tablet tells me there are no new system updates but I know it's lying but what else can I do?

Kitkat will now stay with me during this holiday time and together we will welcome in the new year.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
Anyone with a Nexus 9 (or maybe another tablet) able to use the new X-ray function in the updated Kindle app?

I've got the current version of Kindle on both my Nexus 5 and 9 and the button appears on both, but it's grayed out on the 9. Everything works the way it should on my 5.

If you've never seen the X-ray button, it's up in the top kindle nav bar, to the left of the font button.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

StealthArcher posted:

I'm thinking of a tablet as an idea for my mother this Christmas, she'd use it for the usual, movies, phone attachment, etc. but she also does semi-professional photography. That being mostly freelance with some contract work. Is a tablet like the nexus 9 or tab S going to be usable for checking out pictures taken on a higher end DSLR, namely, can you get cables if the camera itself has USB micro and use them to pull to the tablet itself? And can you do minor photo work on them? Nothing major like a PS or GIMP run, just cropping, rotation, some color correction and the like.

If it's useful information, her phone is a Nexus 5 and her main smaller camera is a Nikon D3S we got her in 2011.

E: Honestly, if it sounds off, i'm not the photographer of the family, just the engineer. I have no idea of the kind of work that goes into this stuff.

Just cross posting for lookovers.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Alder posted:

So I got a notification for the OTA update and I tapped accept. It even told me to reboot to install and then I noticed that my N7 looked exactly the same after 10 minutes. Now my tablet tells me there are no new system updates but I know it's lying but what else can I do?

Kitkat will now stay with me during this holiday time and together we will welcome in the new year.
Next time it asks you to do it, pay attention to what it says on the screen with the Android on its back with its chest open. It will tell you why it failed.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Just did the 5.0.1 update on my 2013 N7 and finally YouTube videos work again. I noticed though during the update it had to go through the 'optimizing apps' step again where it precompiles all of the applications for ART. Is this going to be a new thing with every single little update (even a 0.0.1 update)? Good grief. At least the thing works as well as it did before Lollipop finally.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
2013 N7 5.0.1 update: Think the memory issue is still there. Pocketcasts will skip and eventually pause/crash when running something like Clash of Clans or even launching facebook. A reboot seemed to have temporarily resolved this but noticing sluggishness and such.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
Is there a tablet app thread, or is there a page for nice apps every tablet should have?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

Just did the 5.0.1 update on my 2013 N7 and finally YouTube videos work again. I noticed though during the update it had to go through the 'optimizing apps' step again where it precompiles all of the applications for ART. Is this going to be a new thing with every single little update (even a 0.0.1 update)? Good grief. At least the thing works as well as it did before Lollipop finally.
Yes. Why wouldn't it be?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

LastInLine posted:

Yes. Why wouldn't it be?

Ignoring the horrible user experience, why would a fix for an unrelated thing (like the video player having the wrong path) require the regeneration of all precompiled code? This is just stupid lazy programmer behavior IMHO.

Honestly why does this precompilation have to be something that happens in the foreground at all? It should happen as a background task while the device is idle. I expect a lot more from Google's developers IMHO.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

mod sassinator posted:

Honestly why does this precompilation have to be something that happens in the foreground at all? It should happen as a background task while the device is idle. I expect a lot more from Google's developers IMHO.

Because then you have a situation where a user updates, then immediately tries running an app that hasn't been pre-processed yet. What do you then?

What about when push messages come in for an app that hasn't been dealt with yet, or if the app is a launcher or widget? The system would be in some weird mixed-up state of brokenness, from the user perspective, until everything converges.

OTAs happen what, a few times a year? It's a few minutes at most to chew through your apps.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I really don't know if that's the only thing that went into .1 because .1 went out to other devices that did not have the video bug.

If anything changes in the runtime, it's going to require it to go through the "optimizing apps" phase after an update.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

kitten smoothie posted:

Because then you have a situation where a user updates, then immediately tries running an app that hasn't been pre-processed yet. What do you then?

What about when push messages come in for an app that hasn't been dealt with yet, or if the app is a launcher or widget? The system would be in some weird mixed-up state of brokenness, from the user perspective, until everything converges.

OTAs happen what, a few times a year? It's a few minutes at most to chew through your apps.

The precompilation is an optimization. An app can run without being precompiled, just that the startup will be a little bit slower.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

mod sassinator posted:

The precompilation is an optimization. An app can run without being precompiled, just that the startup will be a little bit slower.

I'm pretty sure that changed with ART. Dalvik was just doing optimizations, ART's precompile process now is basically converting the dex file to machine code ahead of time.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

Ignoring the horrible user experience, why would a fix for an unrelated thing (like the video player having the wrong path) require the regeneration of all precompiled code? This is just stupid lazy programmer behavior IMHO.
Every system update has always done the "Optimizing apps" thing first. Probably because the system is not smart enough to keep track of what's optimized, whether or not the update has perhaps changed the runtime, and then determine just what needs to be done. Better to just do it all and be sure it's done right.

mod sassinator posted:

Given that it takes a long-rear end time I'd rather it not take place while Android is running and the user is able to use the device. What about things like launchers and apps with widgets that need to be ready when the screen is on? Seems like making the change provides means you'd save three to five minutes twice a year so who cares?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Has anyone run into issues with the touchscreen becoming less responsive with 5.0.1 on their 2013 Nexus 7? I got the OTA 2 days ago and the amount of times I've have to double or triple tap something is worrisome.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I dunno I think this is just endemic of the difference between Apple and Android. In the Apple world this kind of stuff wouldn't fly at all. There's no reason a user needs to stare at a useless (to them) progress bar that takes 10 minutes to finish. Put all that crap in the background and get the user back to using the device as fast as possible.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Apple updates take forever these days, and show a thermometer bar which fills up in a manner that has zero relation to the actual amount of time spent updating.

The difference between Apple and Android is Apple updates just don't tell you anything.

If the ART precompile phase happened in the recovery during the update instead of after rebooting, and all you saw was a progress bar instead of "Optimizing Applications," nobody'd ever be the wiser.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
:shrug: Regardless I still think it's a crap user experience to waste time with this stuff in the foreground. If optimization from the very start is so darn important, why doesn't Google cache the precompiled binaries for important devices (like the Nexus devices they build!) in their cloud and just download precompiled binaries from the start?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

mod sassinator posted:

I dunno I think this is just endemic of the difference between Apple and Android. In the Apple world this kind of stuff wouldn't fly at all. There's no reason a user needs to stare at a useless (to them) progress bar that takes 10 minutes to finish. Put all that crap in the background and get the user back to using the device as fast as possible.

I'm constantly having touchscreen issues on both KitKat and Lollipop on my '13 N7. Pretty sure it's a well known issue in the hardware.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

mod sassinator posted:

:shrug: Regardless I still think it's a crap user experience to waste time with this stuff in the foreground. If optimization from the very start is so darn important, why doesn't Google cache the precompiled binaries for important devices (like the Nexus devices they build!) in their cloud and just download precompiled binaries from the start?
It's something that takes a few minutes a few times a year. Even if they did have precompiled binaries for Nexus devices it would only be for system applications, anything else you had installed would still have to go through that process unless they built a custom OTA for each device and even then it wouldn't work for stuff installed outside of the Play Store and I don't get why setting down a device for ten minutes to update is even an issue.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

kitten smoothie posted:

Apple updates take forever these days, and show a thermometer bar which fills up in a manner that has zero relation to the actual amount of time spent updating.

The difference between Apple and Android is Apple updates just don't tell you anything.

This is true. At one point last week I was staring at 'Optimising apps' on my N7 and the Apple logo with a nonsensical progress bar, and 'Getting ready' (or something equally inane) on my Windows 10 test laptop all at the same time.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

get the user back to using the device as fast as possible.
Do you think they have a step of "Wait ten minutes doing nothing?" It's as fast as possible already.

kitten smoothie posted:

If the ART precompile phase happened in the recovery during the update instead of after rebooting, and all you saw was a progress bar instead of "Optimizing Applications," nobody'd ever be the wiser.
I'm sure you remember that this is how it used to work. It would make the odex files for Dalvik while at the loading animation without any indication it was working on anything. Everyone just assumed they were bootlooping.

Also it's not useless information, it shows the progress as a xx of yy number. As far as updates go it's a lot more informative than any update I've ever received on OS X which just show an unlabeled bar that doesn't move at a consistent rate or in some Windows updates where it's just a string of phrases out of the SimCity loading screen.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sometimes Windows just really needs to reticulate some splines before it can run properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

LastInLine posted:

Next time it asks you to do it, pay attention to what it says on the screen with the Android on its back with its chest open. It will tell you why it failed.

It told me: error.

Luckily, N7 seemed OK after rebooting :11tea: