Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
Which is weird because on the one hand they use the argument that the teams are seperate and that Vino isn't even the continental tour team manager, but on the other hand he is able to suspend the whole team. Astana is hosed, I won't be surprised if more positives show up, apparently the UCI is running some advanced diagnostics against all astana pee. Such a shame for Lars Boom, finally making his big move away from Belkin...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
It's bullshit, they're obviously the same organization /staff and have had doping charges on both teams.

Aru and Nibali are cool riders and should bolt ASAP.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Rojkir posted:

Which is weird because on the one hand they use the argument that the teams are seperate and that Vino isn't even the continental tour team manager, but on the other hand he is able to suspend the whole team. Astana is hosed, I won't be surprised if more positives show up, apparently the UCI is running some advanced diagnostics against all astana pee. Such a shame for Lars Boom, finally making his big move away from Belkin...

The person responsible for the continental team is the director sportif of the World Tour Team.

They're about as interlinked as its possible to be.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
I know, just saying that they're already using the argument of seperate teams even while it's obv bull.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Welp

“I’m sure I’ve made the right choice. I’m sure the team is going to be given its racing licence, but if some absurd reason that doesn’t happen, I’m not leaving, even though I would have every right to,” added Nibali.

“It’s not just me who is tied up with this team. I have my inner circle of people. There’s a group of about six or seven of us. Where do I go?

“Astana has invested in us and we feel good here. I believe in them and they believe in me.”

“Let’s be clear. Astana and Astana 2 (Continental) are two different things. We’ve had two (positive) cases with the Iglinskiy brothers, but that was a family affair,” he said.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
He said, while an attractive nurse bandaged his arm from the latest injection.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
With tour winners getting literally excised from the records for popping, I wonder if Astana's tactic was instead to give the gear to all supporting riders except "nibblez". I've always felt his climbing was suspect as gently caress though.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I'm suspicious as gently caress about Aru, not sure why.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Russian Bear posted:

I'm suspicious as gently caress about Aru, not sure why.

I think its his team.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I'll just leave this right here..

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Expert on Kreuziger: he was on some poo poo
http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/12/kreuzigers-public-defence-raises-further-questions-about-biological-passport-doping-case/

It's a bit of a chore to read the values instead of them doing some graphs.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
With the reports coming out about the Russian IOC being complicit in covering up massive, massive, MASSIVE drug use, I'm not surprised at all about the Astana stuff anymore. They probably got tips from their big soviet brother.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Classic muddy CX

http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/videozone/sporten/2.25755/1.2173586

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/astana-silent-on-ferrari-allegation

I'm just going to leave that there.

If everyone that had a go at me for calling bullshit on Astana at the tour could apologise, that would be nice.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Before this latest revelation word on the inside was Astana will get their license, the UCI's hands are tied so they are just putting on a show by delaying. Unless there is some irrefutable earth shattering evidence that the team is organising doping when they take their appeal to CAS they will most likely win. The UCI does not want to waste resources only to be embarrassed in front of CAS yet again.

I don't know if this new information could be verified and considered admissible but it's worth noting the CAS precedent has already been set by bastions of clean sporting Festina and Katusha so I wouldn't hold out much hope.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The Kazak doping authorities outsourced almost all of their testing to Russia.

Thats not going to go over well considering the latest on that either.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/astana-accused-of-systematic-doping

38 Astana riders have been named and implicated with Dr Ferrari. Most we already know about but theres quite a few new ones. Strong links between Vinokourov and Ferrari's son Stefano, who has been accused of being the middle man to prevent direct association with Ferrari.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
'Only' 17 from Astana, 38 is the total.

I feel bad for teams/riders that are clean because they believe that cycling's changed, if they exist.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The UCI cannot in good conscience give them their world tour licence now. Which means of course they will.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Nibali is innocent. He just played D&D with Ferrari or something.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
We can always be sure of one rider being clean. Tyler Farrar. Unless he's as bad at cheating as he is at winning

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Can't say I'm surprised. They will definitely get the licence though.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
Astana getting a WorldTour license would certainly seem like a counterargument to the idea that the UCI takes a firm stance on doping.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Brian Cookson has come out and said the allegations of Dr Ferrari's involvement are a serious concern given the UCI's stance on cleaning up cycling.

I thought the decision on the UCI licence were due today? Is that not the case?

carborexic
Nov 9, 2008

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-awards-astana-worldtour-licence

Astana got their license. Statements to follow.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Hahaha, utterly shameful.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Those statements had better be persuasive as hell.

edit

quote:

While the Licence Commission has ratified Astana’s registration for 2015 without conditions regarding the squad’s management, Cyclingnews understands that the UCI will order an audit of the team.

That's not cutting it

Smirr fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 10, 2014

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
I think at this point we can assume that cycling is still dirty and there's not enough of a vested interest in getting it cleaned up.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Xir posted:

I think at this point we can assume that cycling is still dirty and there's not enough of a vested interest in getting it cleaned up.

There's no such thing as clean pro sports

Edit : Not saying cycling not being clean should be condoned but every sport is a cesspit of drugs and every cycling team is a cesspit of drugs

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...

Cat Terrist posted:

There's no such thing as clean pro sports

Edit : Not saying cycling not being clean should be condoned but every sport is a cesspit of drugs and every cycling team is a cesspit of drugs

I don't doubt that. I do think it's rather brazen of the UCI to not even attempt to keep up appearances by denying Astana their license.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
So if I understand correctly UCI's saying they didn't know about the Padova investigation results so welp have to give them a license

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

They are giving Astana a license because if they don't they will get dragged in front of CAS and lose.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

If you don't know how licensing WT works here is an excerpt from inner ring:

quote:

Now that second of imaginary punishment has passed, back to reality where Brian Cookson and the UCI can’t do much at all. The UCI’s Licence Commission is so independent it even meets outside the UCI’s offices. As for membership, it’s staffed by non-UCI people. It’s headed by Pierre Zappelli, a former Swiss Supreme Federal Court judge and he’s joined by Hans Höhener, ex-President of the Swiss Athletics Federation and a senior corporate executive called André Hurter. Three heavy hitters who operate about as independently as you can reasonably imagine. If you want to throw the book at Astana, first you have rewrite the book.

http://inrng.com/2014/12/friday-shorts-10/#more-23048

I remember he had a longer article on the whole process but can't seem to find it now.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
So we're going into a year with another US postal then. We know they're up to the gills, so do the public, and so do the UCI but they will publically do nothing. Right when Cycling is on the cusp of exploding in popularity. Exactly what it needs.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Just abolish Switzerland already

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Cookson has said Astana are 'on probation' and that another positive case would most likely result in their licence being taken away.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

serious gaylord posted:

Cookson has said Astana are 'on probation' and that another positive case would most likely result in their licence being taken away.

What a joke. What's the point in the UCI anymore?

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
gently caress the UCI

On Wednesday, the UCI said in a press statement, “Concerning Europcar, the License Commission has decided to reject the team’s request for registration for the 2015 season. The License Commission estimates that the team does not fulfill the financial criteria"

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
hahaha jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Guys, calm down. The UCI can't actually do anything to Astana under their own rules: http://inrng.com/2014/12/astana-uci-licence/

Why does Europcar need world tour status? They are guaranteed an invite to the TDF.