Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

So, question, do we know anything about the upcoming Star Fox at this game other than 'We're making Star Fox, see ya in a few years.'

Playing the new Smash Bros made me realize it's been so long since we had a good Starfox game that wasn't a remake. Please Nintendo, let Platinum develop it, and give it like 30+ levels and branching paths, where in the intro level Krystal is kidnapped by aliens and Peppy hops back into the plane to fly for one last time, and half way through everyone forgets about it and it's never mentioned again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
"See ya at e3 2015" as I recall. They're rushing development.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

So, question, do we know anything about the upcoming Star Fox at this game other than 'We're making Star Fox, see ya in a few years.'

Playing the new Smash Bros made me realize it's been so long since we had a good Starfox game that wasn't a remake. Please Nintendo, let Platinum develop it, and give it like 30+ levels and branching paths, where in the intro level Krystal is kidnapped by aliens and Peppy hops back into the plane to fly for one last time, and half way through everyone forgets about it and it's never mentioned again.

They said it'd be out before Zelda next year. There was a demo of it at the Nintendo Treehouse during E3 I think, it was like a gyro controlled thing using the gamepad or something

I wonder where Star Fox would be if Fox hadn't been put in Smash. The series has had like 2 good games ever

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

I see you're new to how Nintendo announces about 99% of their games

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

noirstronaut posted:

Samus Amiibo unlocks Metroid Prime for new 3DS

Don't toy with my emotions.

mamelon
Oct 9, 2010

by Lowtax
When it comes time for another Metroid game, the suit Samus and ZSS amiibos will unlock emotional cutscenes. The forthcoming Adam amiibo will be required to unlock suit and weapon upgrades.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Neo Rasa posted:

I now Other M was a high tier embarrassment, and it's a terrible game, but man I hope they make a new one. Though at the same time, remember a StarFox/Metroid crossover game was actually a real thing they briefly considered, so maybe it's for the better if they don't.

If by "considered", you mean "something someone made up on the Internet as an 'E3 leak'", then yes, they considered it.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

enojy posted:

Animal Crossing: if the neverending life sim part doesn't get you, the charm and cuteness will.

I'm really looking forward to the prospect of a Wii U Animal Crossing game, but it'll suck if they just rehash 98% of it like they've been doing since the Gamecube version.

http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/eshop/animal-crossing-plaza

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
How accessible is the WiiU Smash Bros to casual gamers? I've fallen off of the videogame wagon and barely play these days, and my wife plays even less. But everyone's going nuts over the game. Is it something that she and I would be able to play together and not quit after facing a steep learning curve?

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

melon cat posted:

How accessible is the WiiU Smash Bros to casual gamers? I've fallen off of the videogame wagon and barely play these days, and my wife plays even less. But everyone's going nuts over the game. Is it something that she and I would be able to play together and not quit after facing a steep learning curve?

Yeah, it's only as hard as you want it to be.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Sade posted:

It has problems for sure. Platforming in first person is rarely not annoying, there's a lot of backtracking, the last "quest" before the end of the game sends you to every corner of the map looking for the twelve magical whatsits, extending the length of the game in a way that's kinda cheap-feeling, and after the game's halfway point lots of rooms have mandatory, meaning unskippable, fights with really agile enemies just to unlock the doors. And you have to do these fights every time you enter the room.

Still in my top 3 fave games though

Samus controls really well in the air; it takes hardly any time to get used to her physics, plus you can always just lock the camera down if you need to. The platforming's only ever difficult if you're trying to sequence break without the x-ray visor or something (which is really fun btw). The last "quest" can be 90% finished before you actually need to do it if you're properly exploring (which is a major theme of the game/series, so). It's far better than Prime 2's version, where half the stuff requires the final suit upgrade. And the chozo ghosts are only in one area of the game, you only have to fight them once or twice before getting the x-ray visor and trivializing them, and the super missiles destroy them either way. And they're only mandatory the first time you see them in each room.

Also re: Zero Suit Krystal,

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

melon cat posted:

You can make the single player as easier or hard as you want to, you can unlock all the characters just by playing a bunch of matches and the stages are also really easy to unlock. Characters are pretty easy to learn, there aren't weird button inputs for special moves and you can turn any of the items off if you don't like how they work.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Ah, okay then. I just want to make sure that I won't encounter any 30-button input combos that will give me flashbacks of Tekken and Killer Instinct.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I think I was the only person that liked Star Fox Adventures.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Nah, Smash has always had a simple, easy to pick up control scheme.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Smash is basically two buttons that you modify by holding the control stick in a particular direction. It's a lot more accessible than most other fighting games.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Help Im Alive posted:

They said it'd be out before Zelda next year. There was a demo of it at the Nintendo Treehouse during E3 I think
There was no footage of it during Treehouse Live. There was a playable demo available to people on the showfloor. Interviews and hands-on coverage brought up gyro controls. During Treehouse Live, we saw footage of Project Giant Robot and Project Guard, one or both of which may be linked to Star Fox.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

There are enough Metroid/Kirby cameos that some fans are convinced that they are completely within the same canon already. Off the top of my head in Kirby Superstar you straight up can get the Screw Attack as one of the weapons, and when you use the stone ability you sometimes turn into a statue of Samus. In Kirby' Dreamland 3 there's a Metroid level where Samus tasks you with helping her kill Metroids with the ice power up. She's even standing by the level goal when you win. If you beat the level in under three minutes takes her helmet off. :3:

This is also referenced in Smash Bros Melee's Adventure mode - after you do the Zebes escape there's a cutscene directly showing that the two franchises exist in the same universe. Zebes explodes and the camera immediately pans over to Dreamland, the next stage. All other game world transitions consist of a simple intro screen - Metroid and Kirby are the only ones with a connecting scene like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1NXvTj0zQg&t=505s

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Who cares

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
I do.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Is the Mushroom Kingdom right next door to Mute City ?? The dutch angle in this cutscene reveals more than you may think...

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Well, I went ahead and proper dumped it all on the Club Nintendo Smash Bros 3-poster set. I only want the Villager poster. Do I have any hope of reselling the other two for a nice sum anywhere down the line, or is breaking the package going to doom them to laying up against the wall in my closet for eternity?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Fremry posted:

me too

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Fremry posted:

While I never owned it I did have a ton of fun playing the multiplayer with my friends

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Fremry posted:

I liked it! :furcry:

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Improbable Lobster posted:

While I never owned it I did have a ton of fun playing the multiplayer with my friends
I think you're talking about Assault (which did have really fun multiplayer). Adventures lacked any multiplayer, as far as I'm aware.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Assault's multiplayer kicked rear end. The gamecube starfox's are actually really good but nobody wants to admit it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

mabels big day posted:

Assault's multiplayer kicked rear end. The gamecube starfox's are actually really good but nobody wants to admit it.

Ultigonio posted:

I think you're talking about Assault (which did have really fun multiplayer). Adventures lacked any multiplayer, as far as I'm aware.

Yup, you're right.

I still stand by my words though, that poo poo was tight

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Quick question - what's the cheapest place to get Pro controllers? Don't care if they're used. Last time I found one cheap at CEX, but they didn't have any in stock this time around.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

mabels big day posted:

I enjoyed Assault. If they fixed/expanded on the on foot portion it could be really good. That was clearly the weak part of Assault. I hope the next Star Fox gyroscope controls either work really well or have the ability to be turned off.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Why does Fox not get his baller staff in Smash. Where'd the staff go

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

seiferguy posted:

Quick question - what's the cheapest place to get Pro controllers? Don't care if they're used. Last time I found one cheap at CEX, but they didn't have any in stock this time around.

Wait for a sale. I picked up one for $30 from Kmart on clearance, Best Buy had them for $30 for like a week over the summer.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

ChaosArgate posted:

Wait for a sale. I picked up one for $30 from Kmart on clearance, Best Buy had them for $30 for like a week over the summer.

I was hoping to get some by Christmas. My cousin is coming over to my parents' place, and he literally has no interests besides video games and military planes. I'm hoping I can try to entertain the family with Mario Kart 8, and an extra pro controller could go far. Otherwise I'll just snag a Wiimote + nunchuk from a local games store.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Newegg has Black ones for $32 and White ones for $26

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1A8-001V-00001

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

That's a phony; it's missing the logo at the top. I wouldn't trust the quality on those at all.

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~
:coolfish::3::coolfish:

It also refers to it as the "classic pro"?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
The Classic Pro controller is a different controller than the Wii U Pro Controller. It's a classic controller, so it's for the virtual console and whatnot (that also works with some normal games.)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

More importantly the Classic Controller Pro works with Wii mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

But that link isn't a Classic Controller Pro. That link goes to a knock-off Wii U Pro Controller. That controller will not work in Wii mode, and I bet within a week of ownership it won't work at all.

• Locked thread