Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Coffee, please believe in the lord and trust him so you can enjoy Christmas like us normals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Showing everyone that Coffeebooze says mean things sometimes is not showing anyone anything new but watching you keep quoting my posts like some sort of bizarre own while you continue to be mad about a dead thread about a dead game with a dev who didn't even care about what was said is pretty funny so you should probably keep doing that.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

That doesn't really work.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CoffeeBooze posted:

Showing everyone that Coffeebooze says mean things sometimes is not showing anyone anything new but watching you keep quoting my posts like some sort of bizarre own while you continue to be mad about a dead thread about a dead game with a dev who didn't even care about what was said is pretty funny so you should probably keep doing that.

You. I like you.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUz9xCTOPRw

Just make the OP this and call it a day

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

CoffeeBooze posted:

Are you trolling yourself now
Is this the next stage of trollception

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Coolguye posted:

Are you trolling yourself now
Is this the next stage of trollception

Acceptance is the first stage to recovery

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
So, was there any actual stuff that I should read in the past several pages or can I assume that it's more crap that doesn't help me at all

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

it's all poo poo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kewpuh posted:

So, was there any actual stuff that I should read in the past several pages or can I assume that it's more crap that doesn't help me at all

quote:

:gas:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

although someone said that your love for moderating these forums would lead you to reading it all anyway so now if you dont we will all be disappointed

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Yeah um let's just all move on I think

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Kewpuh posted:

Oh, nothing... just one of the most epic beat downs this subforum has seen in ages.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Kewpuh posted:

There was a really good post by Voyager I that talked about how maybe we should tone down stuff a bit and I'm okay with that and agree; every time you've asked we've done so. He made a really good and coherent argument:

Voyager I posted:

To make a serious post here, I think there's a bit of a culture clash because, while SA is a comedy website and the forums are ostensibly meant to reflect that sense of humor, the $10 paywall and moderation style means that this is also a really, really good forum for general video game discussion (at least for the standards by which such things are measured). Public gaming forums typically have the signal to noise ratio of a youtube comment thread and are moderated for courtesy rather than content. The :10bux: prevents most of that crowd from ever joining, and the fact that you can call someone out for being an idiot without getting yourself banned for being impolite helps filter out a lot of the rest of the chaff. While I definitely appreciate the sense of humor that some posters bring to this place, I joined this forum primarily because I'm a high-functioning autistic who likes to subject games to deep mechanical analysis and this forum is the best place I've seen where I can those kinds of conversations with like-minded people and not have to wade through an ocean of tears about how Pyros are overpowered and the like. While I'm now realizing that I may not be here for entirely the right reasons and my discussion-first mentality probably puts me in the minority, this forum definitely has a substantial population of users who appreciate the overall quality if discourse. Comedy is definitely still content, but it's not the primary reason I'm here (and to be honest, I haven't found the front page funny since I was in high school).

I realize I'm coming dangerously close to agreeing with Adem Bowen, and while I never could make it very far through the gamers.txt threads I saw enough to find this deeply disturbing.

His other posts here are good too.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Kewpuh posted:

Voyager I said some good stuff that I agree with.

To throw my two cents down, I was a little put off by the change in tone in Games. However, I believe the laxer posting standards are an overall good thing, even if I personally don't enjoy them. I've found myself taking this poo poo too seriously sometimes, it's good to get some perspective. I still read Games, and Imp Zone is pretty cool even though I have no desire to post there.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 10, 2014

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kewpuh posted:

Its funny to see someones mind break, but its not too important to read

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I like the idea of Gaming Thunderdome Challenges but I think that would be really hard to pull off right as moderation and is something that should be maybe organized by posters themselves; if one happens maybe it can get stickied?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Awesome! posted:

although someone said that your love for moderating these forums would lead you to reading it all anyway so now if you dont we will all be disappointed

The Kewps and I are definitely good friends and I know him really well.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

I get the complaint about the shitposting but, and I've said this before, this only happens in very few threads. And these particular threads, aside from the mmo ones, have always had this problem, with both heavy and light moderation. As far as slapfights go in threads, those are also pretty much the same. Back when we slapped people around for getting into bickering matches in threads, they still continued to happen. It's never really possible to catch them as they are happening, so we would always come into the tail end of them and then hand out punishments. It was kind of loving stupid. Now we just let them happen because we aren't going to stop them while they're happening and they never last beyond a few posts anyways so they can get their dumb argument about squirtle being more powerful out of their system and everything is back to normal.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Eonwe posted:

Its funny to see someones mind break, but its not too important to read

Most people have evil spirits. You? You have stupid spirits. Go see shaman, get hole in head... Big hole... Very big... Huge.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Kewpuh posted:

I get the complaint about the shitposting but, and I've said this before, this only happens in very few threads.

What about the use of slurs, "kill yourself", and other stuff that is generally unfunny, counterproductive and just plain bad. Is that going to continue to be ok?

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Kewpuh posted:

I get the complaint about the shitposting but, and I've said this before, this only happens in very few threads. And these particular threads, aside from the mmo ones, have always had this problem, with both heavy and light moderation. As far as slapfights go in threads, those are also pretty much the same. Back when we slapped people around for getting into bickering matches in threads, they still continued to happen. It's never really possible to catch them as they are happening, so we would always come into the tail end of them and then hand out punishments. It was kind of loving stupid. Now we just let them happen because we aren't going to stop them while they're happening and they never last beyond a few posts anyways so they can get their dumb argument about squirtle being more powerful out of their system and everything is back to normal.
But it's really venusaur what kind of games mod are you?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

CoffeeBooze posted:

Most people have evil spirits. You? You have stupid spirits. Go see shaman, get hole in head... Big hole... Very big... Huge.

Prob this guy

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you want my legit opinion about a Thing, there should be less 'send this thread to imp zone, boys' stuff going on

Imp Zone shouldn't be a gas chamber, it should be its own forum. if a thread is bad, actually gas it. If a thread is good, let it stay in Games unless the OP specifically requests a move to Imp Zone, or the people in the thread reach a consensus, or something. Basically, less using imp zone as a punishment, since all that does is encourage the weird culture war mentality that some people have.

From what i can tell, we've been moving away from that anyway, but I just wanted to reinforce that that's a good direction.

edit: Also CoffeeBooze is completely insane but I do agree that 'human being' and 'kill yourself' should at least be discouraged outside the imp zone, if not actively probated for. peace

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

zen death robot posted:

Kewpuh for the love of all that is holy please change you av back, I beg you.

I'm upset about it as well.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

CoffeeBooze posted:

What about the use of slurs, "kill yourself", and other stuff that is generally unfunny, counterproductive and just plain bad. Is that going to continue to be ok?

Let me counter with this. If someone posts "kill yourself" do you break into fits of anger because an internet shat out two boring words to you or do you scroll past it and continue reading cool poo poo about video games like every other normal human being?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Kewpuh posted:

you son of a bitch. it's bulbasaur and anyone who disagrees deserves a ban

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Endorph posted:

if you want my legit opinion about a Thing, there should be less 'send this thread to imp zone, boys' stuff going on

Imp Zone shouldn't be a gas chamber, it should be its own forum. if a thread is bad, actually gas it. If a thread is good, let it stay in Games unless the OP specifically requests a move to Imp Zone, or the people in the thread reach a consensus, or something. Basically, less using imp zone as a punishment, since all that does is encourage the weird culture war mentality that some people have.

From what i can tell, we've been moving away from that anyway, but I just wanted to reinforce that that's a good direction.

Very very few threads get sent to Imp Zone. Maybe 4 total ever? This seems like a non issue to me

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Please brutally kill CoffeeBooze.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Endorph posted:

I don't think anyone has seriously even talked about that for months though I respect and agree with your opinion. If it does happen it has to be something really funny or a thread that we can actually improve. IMProve. heheh.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Is forums cancer still a thing?

Bring that back

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Endorph posted:

In what way is being sent to imp zone a punishment?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, that's true, but a few months back it seemed like you were popping up in Imp Zone every month or so to go 'alright what Funny Troll should we do now?'

I think the last time you made a thread like that it led to absolutely nothing, but

net cafe scandal posted:

In what way is being sent to imp zone a punishment?

That's my point, it shouldn't be one, but the Smash thread got sent there for being insanely bad. I mean, it got kind of decent afterwards and things worked out, but I'm not a fan of the mentality behind that decision.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

A few months back Redshirt probated like 509478387538 people and I would like to talk about that here too.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Kewpuh posted:

Let me counter with this. If someone posts "kill yourself" do you break into fits of anger because an internet shat out two boring words to you or do you scroll past it and continue reading cool poo poo about video games like every other normal human being?

Okay now you should DEFINITELY read the last few pages.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Endorph posted:

Yeah, that's true, but a few months back it seemed like you were popping up in Imp Zone every month or so to go 'alright what Funny Troll should we do now?'

I think the last time you made a thread like that it led to absolutely nothing, but

Ya but this was also back when Imp Zone had converted from DDRD, the stylesheet had been changed from the abomination, and I was throwing poo poo at the wall hoping to think of some reason to spice up the place. This of course ended up being not necessary at all because people started to post there because their eyes didn't hurt and it didn't really need any spicing up from a mod.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kewpuh posted:

Once? Keep reading. Constantly? Find someplace else to go where things are either funnier or smarter.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Kewpuh posted:

Is that a "yes"?

I can see why for a lot of people being called a friend of the family, a human being, a kike, a spic, or being told to "go kill yourself" could actually be pretty harmful. I don't think it is productive, I don't think it is funny and I don't think it should be allowed. Even if mods do show up too late to put a stop to it mid argument, taking some kind of action against people that do that poo poo seems very reasonable to me.

But then again, I'm just some middle class white dude, you can't say poo poo to me that would hurt my feelings.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

CoffeeBooze posted:

Is that a "yes"?

I can see why for a lot of people being called a friend of the family, a human being, a kike, a spic, or being told to "go kill yourself" could actually be pretty harmful. I don't think it is productive, I don't think it is funny and I don't think it should be allowed. Even if mods do show up too late to put a stop to it mid argument, taking some kind of action against people that do that poo poo seems very reasonable to me.

But then again, I'm just some middle class white dude, you can't say poo poo to me that would hurt my feelings.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kewpuh posted:

Ya but this was also back when Imp Zone had converted from DDRD, the stylesheet had been changed from the abomination, and I was throwing poo poo at the wall hoping to think of some reason to spice up the place. This of course ended up being not necessary at all because people started to post there because their eyes didn't hurt and it didn't really need any spicing up from a mod.
Yeah true

• Locked thread