Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kewpuh posted:

Ya but this was also back when Imp Zone had converted from DDRD, the stylesheet had been changed from the abomination, and I was throwing poo poo at the wall hoping to think of some reason to spice up the place. This of course ended up being not necessary at all because people started to post there because their eyes didn't hurt and it didn't really need any spicing up from a mod.
Yeah true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

Once? Keep reading. Constantly? Find someplace else to go where things are either funnier or smarter.

Basically I agree with this. It's not the end of the world if it pops up occasionally but it being a regular thing kinda makes the forums look lovely even if it is ironic.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

CoffeeBooze posted:

But then again, I'm just some middle class white dude, you can't say poo poo to me that would hurt my feelings.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Random Stranger posted:

Once? Keep reading. Constantly? Find someplace else to go where things are either funnier or smarter.

Have you been reading 'kill yourself' constantly?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

All I know about the State of Games is that I quasi-regularly post in some dozen+ threads and not one has been "invaded" by Imp Zone and also haven't really changed at all since whenever the rule change I didn't bother to read about happened. Seriously, when did that happen? I think there could be a greater tolerance (from everybody, in general) of people actually wanting to analyze things games do beyond "Is it fun?" instead of assuming it will instantly devolve into something out of Tumblr and immediately drowning it out but then again I've been able to do that occasionally anyways and it was neat so Games seems pretty good.

But I also stay out of the MMO forum so that's probably a huge factor.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Random Stranger posted:

Where are the threads that are ruined by spamming of "kill yourself" or racial slurs? I've said that this happens occasionally in a few specific threads. Do I see it happening in 95% of the other ones? No. If we have a problem with every Games thread has devolved into unreadable garbage because of kill yourselves and racial slurs then I will fully admit that we have a serious problem

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Random Stranger posted:

it's not constant though, it happened once

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Endorph posted:

Yeah, that's true, but a few months back it seemed like you were popping up in Imp Zone every month or so to go 'alright what Funny Troll should we do now?'

I think the last time you made a thread like that it led to absolutely nothing, but

That's my point, it shouldn't be one, but the Smash thread got sent there for being insanely bad. I mean, it got kind of decent afterwards and things worked out, but I'm not a fan of the mentality behind that decision.

I would not consider it a punishment to be sent to a hospital to treat my horrible HIV AIDS and meet cool new friends.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Endorph posted:

Yeah, that's true, but a few months back it seemed like you were popping up in Imp Zone every month or so to go 'alright what Funny Troll should we do now?'

I think the last time you made a thread like that it led to absolutely nothing, but

That's my point, it shouldn't be one, but the Smash thread got sent there for being insanely bad. I mean, it got kind of decent afterwards and things worked out, but I'm not a fan of the mentality behind that decision.
Imp Zone is a rehab center for gamers who forgot how to have fun, not a trash can.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

CoffeeBooze posted:

Is that a "yes"?

I can see why for a lot of people being called a friend of the family, a human being, a kike, a spic, or being told to "go kill yourself" could actually be pretty harmful. I don't think it is productive, I don't think it is funny and I don't think it should be allowed. Even if mods do show up too late to put a stop to it mid argument, taking some kind of action against people that do that poo poo seems very reasonable to me.

But then again, I'm just some middle class white dude, you can't say poo poo to me that would hurt my feelings.

I can, and will, try my best.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Kewpuh posted:

Where are the threads that are ruined by spamming of "kill yourself" or racial slurs? I've said that this happens occasionally in a few specific threads. Do I see it happening in 95% of the other ones? No. If we have a problem with every Games thread has devolved into unreadable garbage because of kill yourselves and racial slurs then I will fully admit that we have a serious problem

How many threads need to be ruined before it becomes an issue?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

Have you been reading 'kill yourself' constantly?

I've been reading it an awful lot on the Games forum over the past year.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Endorph posted:

The senran kagura thread getting moved to imp zone was the best thing that ever happened to it. There's legitimately people discussing the game in there now.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Broseph Brostar posted:

The senran kagura thread getting moved to imp zone was the best thing that ever happened to it. There's legitimately people discussing the game in there now.

There are no gigantic faggots like you posting there as well so it's a double win.

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

"invaded" by Imp Zone

They're called imp excursions.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

I've been reading it an awful lot on the Games forum over the past year.

I haven't. Weird.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kewpuh posted:

It doesn't require spamming it in one thread when it happens a few times a week in every thread. It's a pervasive atmosphere of that kind of posting being acceptable.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

There are no gigantic faggots like you posting there as well so it's a double win.
mods???

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Random Stranger posted:

It doesn't require spamming it in one thread when it happens a few times a week in every thread. It's a pervasive atmosphere of that kind of posting being acceptable.

links?

if it's happening constantly like you say then it should be pretty easy to find some recent examples.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

CoffeeBooze posted:

HOW MANY MORE GAMERS NEED TO DIE KE WPUH

HOW MANY

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I think I'm too old for sa. This is like high school in here

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Kewpuh posted:

Ya but this was also back when Imp Zone had converted from DDRD, the stylesheet had been changed from the abomination, and I was throwing poo poo at the wall hoping to think of some reason to spice up the place.

Just a small suggestion that the Games forum rules post should indicate that Imp Zone isn't just for no effort posting. It's not DDRD anymore, and that rule post might give the wrong impression.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

I haven't. Weird.

I wouldn't say it's overwhelming but I've seen a fair bit of it. It's usually in the less popular thread and... well, it ends up being stuff like:

Which is entirely meant in humor and I doubt anyone it is actually targeted at is offended by it, but it shows up more that it used to.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

CoffeeBooze posted:

Most threads aren't full of people arguing that it's not pedophilia it's hebephilia or breaking down because someone said a mean thing about someone else or bragging about being an internet detective and stuff. I hope this aids you in your quest.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Whoa I stopped making GBS threads that thread up ages ago bro

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

sword_man.xmas posted:

links?

if it's happening constantly like you say then it should be pretty easy to find some recent examples.

It's in every thread, and in my emails, and blasted on TV. I wake up in the morning and "kill yourself" is written in my palms and on my bathroom mirror. I can hear it in the wind.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

CoffeeBooze posted:

I feel like maybe you aren't reading what I've been posting. I invite you to read my posts in this thread and then come back to me with whatever point that you're trying to make.

Random Stranger posted:

Then it should be pretty easy to find me a few threads outside of the ones that I talked about where this is happening at such a level that something needs to be done.

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Just a small suggestion that the Games forum rules post should indicate that Imp Zone isn't just for no effort posting. It's not DDRD anymore, and that rule post might give the wrong impression.

I loving hate the rules thread and would prefer to just unstick it entirely because we already have forum rules and I don't see the need for it but this is a group decision kind of thing and I'm not kingshit of fuckmountain here

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Dan Didio posted:

I haven't. Weird.

I would be insanely sad if you ended your life, and I suspect others would be as well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sword_man.xmas posted:

links?

Gyshall posted:

It isn't about respect so much as Anime Is For Faggets and All Bad Games Are Anime, thus bad games = for faggets

Here's one from the RPG thread, just as another example. And like I said, it's not meant seriously and nobody is offended by it. (I doubt it even got a report.) It's just popping up more.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Widestancer posted:

Most threads aren't full of people arguing that it's not pedophilia it's hebephilia or breaking down because someone said a mean thing about someone else or bragging about being an internet detective and stuff. I hope this aids you in your quest.

No, not really. Especially considering you are one of the people with a habit of doing edgy, unfunny poo poo like calling people faggots and telling them to kill themselves. And you have done that in threads that had nothing to do with all the weirdos in the AA thread.

Should it be well within the rules of Games to just start calling people niggers and telling them to commit suicide because they like a different game than you?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

elf help book posted:

It's in every thread, and in my emails, and blasted on TV. I wake up in the morning and "kill yourself" is written in my palms and on my bathroom mirror. I can hear it in the wind.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CoffeeBooze posted:

No, not really. Especially considering you are one of the people with a habit of doing edgy, unfunny poo poo like calling people faggots and telling them to kill themselves. And you have done that in threads that had nothing to do with all the weirdos in the AA thread.

Should it be well within the rules of Games to just start calling people niggers and telling them to commit suicide because they like a different game than you?

Jesus Christ

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Kewpuh posted:

I loving hate the rules thread and would prefer to just unstick it entirely because we already have forum rules and I don't see the need for it but this is a group decision kind of thing and I'm not kingshit of fuckmountain here

Who is kingshit of fuckmountain and how do we summon them all so that we can get a better rules thread that's updated since new posters if they do exist might read it?

CoffeeBooze posted:

Jesus Christ dude

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Calling people faggots is gay as hell imo.

My 2 crackers.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Here's one from the RPG thread, just as another example. And like I said, it's not meant seriously and nobody is offended by it. (I doubt it even got a report.) It's just popping up more.

I guess I just don't really see the big deal about that post. The dude obviously tried to make a joke. It's not a funny joke to me, or you, but it's a joke. This post also seems way different than just responding to someone with "kill yourself" repeatedly

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

basically the 'slurs are okay if theyre meant to be funny or it's a parody but it's on a case-by-case thing' rule basically seems like it means 'you can call people faggots but you can't call people niggers, but you can make photoshops of bowser saying friend of the family, but you can't have a gangtag of bowser saying friend of the family...' basically it seems like it's whatever the mods feel like, and with the more relaxed rules it seems like it's become a 'gently caress it' type situation

imo a more hardline yes/no type rule would make situations like this go smoother, but i understand that's above your paygrade, kewpuh. either the words are allowed or they're not. going 'was this meant as actual bigotry' is a weird way of handling it because, well, nobody can read a poster's mind. maybe that one dude really does hate anime and also homos

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Kewpuh posted:

I feel like maybe you aren't reading what I've been posting. I invite you to read my posts in this thread and then come back to me with whatever point that you're trying to make.

The point I am trying to make it the lack of rules have caused issues on the forums. Things are definitely better, don't get me wrong, but I feel there needs to be some tweaking. If you want to have any level of discourse having people slinging racial slurs and telling each other to kill themselves isn't going to achieve it, and that is starting to happen more and more often. There needs to be some basic standard for posting. It doesn't need to be setting the bar high.

There have already been multiple threads that looked like something from one of the 4chan boards. Is that going to start to be normal? Because that is the direction things are trending.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Endorph posted:

basically the 'slurs are okay if theyre meant to be funny or it's a parody but it's on a case-by-case thing' rule basically seems like it means 'you can call people faggots but you can't call people niggers, but you can make photoshops of bowser saying friend of the family, but you can't have a gangtag of bowser saying friend of the family...' basically it seems like it's whatever the mods feel like, and with the more relaxed rules it seems like it's become a 'gently caress it' type situation

imo a more hardline yes/no type rule would make situations like this go smoother, but i understand that's above your paygrade, kewpuh.

If people aren't complete idiots it works though.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

net cafe scandal posted:

I would be insanely sad if you ended your life, and I suspect others would be as well.

I would never kill myself, out of respect for JewWario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

CoffeeBooze posted:

The point I am trying to make it the lack of rules have caused issues on the forums. Things are definitely better, don't get me wrong, but I feel there needs to be some tweaking. If you want to have any level of discourse having people slinging racial slurs and telling each other to kill themselves isn't going to achieve it, and that is starting to happen more and more often. There needs to be some basic standard for posting. It doesn't need to be setting the bar high.

There have already been multiple threads that looked like something from one of the 4chan boards. Is that going to start to be normal? Because that is the direction things are trending.

I think you have an issue with a very few very bad threads that got poo poo up because of dumb crap like this.

• Locked thread