Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Octopus Magic posted:

While the 14B is a pretty good little turbo, you are not going to get 440WHP out of it, and 5 psi is way out of any efficiency range for it.

Of course, but that's not what I was replying to in his post. Obviously 440whp is total bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Who wants to take a risk on a "STOLEN NOT WRECKED" vehicle?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tai-Pan posted:

Well, I love them and I think they look fantastic.
And, really, what does a 0-60 time have to do with anything? A Ferrari 250 GTO is $38million dollar car and it would get walked by an Accord on the track.

But, to answer your question $170,000 is high, but not crazy. I suspect you could get it for ~$110,000. Remember, these are pretty rare car compared to the 458. They will make many more 458s this year than in the entire run of the Diablo in any form.

Early 90s designs are also really good, as opposed to everything after which is really bad.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Octopus Magic posted:

While the 14B is a pretty good little turbo, you are not going to get 440WHP out of it, and 5 psi is way out of any efficiency range for it.

Over 5psi and the intercooler falls off that bungee cord.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

KakerMix posted:

Who wants to take a risk on a "STOLEN NOT WRECKED" vehicle?

What the gently caress does his current insurance coverage matter?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Geirskogul posted:

What the gently caress does his current insurance coverage matter?

A lot of people think you can't fully insure a salvage titled vehicle.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 210 days!)

BlackMK4 posted:

A lot of people think you can't fully insure a salvage titled vehicle.

Well, sure- you can pay for it. They just won't.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

blk posted:

I never bought an E30 when I was younger because I didn't know how to drive stick and knew I didn't want the AT. I wish I had just bought one and learned; there are no reasonably priced ones anymore, and some patently absurd ones.

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4794732904.html

I'm a little late here but I just wanted to comment on this to say how loving dumb that price is. I bought a 1989 5 speed 325iX like 4 years ago for $2500, put some suspension stuff into it and sold it for $3500 a couple years later. Then I bought a pristine 325iS coupe for $3300. What a goddamn joke. Also I really like "new transfer case" and "new front driveshaft" which means some idiot ruined the transfer case/shaft splines and the owner of the car replaced it with used transfer case and shaft from a junkyard.

Yerok fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 9, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
No pictures in this ad but

http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/cto/4798453684.html

quote:

2003 Honda S2000 - $6000
Runs and drives. Could use a tune up. Top works and seals. At was recently keyed. Would do trade, partial trade or cash purchase. All of equal or greater value of course.

$6000 for an S2000 that was keyed. Must have been a big loving key.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Rhyno posted:

No pictures in this ad but

http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/cto/4798453684.html

$6000 for an S2000 that was keyed. Must have been a big loving key.

"Could use a tune-up" meaning it probably has a misfire, a hole in the exhaust, and original belts at 125k.

Keying a car can easily cause $1500-2000 in damage if not more.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

angryhampster posted:

"Could use a tune-up" meaning it probably has a misfire, a hole in the exhaust, and original belts at 125k.

Keying a car can easily cause $1500-2000 in damage if not more.

It also has a salvage title and happens to be blue.

I'm pretty sure this is the same car owned by the psychopath who was convinced I had agreed to trade my MS6 for his car.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Yerok posted:

I'm a little late here but I just wanted to comment on this to say how loving dumb that price is. I bought a 1989 5 speed 325iX like 4 years ago for $2500, put some suspension stuff into it and sold it for $3500 a couple years later. Then I bought a pristine 325iS coupe for $3300. What a goddamn joke. Also I really like "new transfer case" and "new front driveshaft" which means some idiot ruined the transfer case/shaft splines and the owner of the car replaced it with used transfer case and shaft from a junkyard.

More jokes.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Octopus Magic posted:

The internal wastegates on t25 or 14b will swing open and scream bloody murder before it reaches 22 psi. And the compressor is spinning at 150% the speed it was designed for. Hope you enjoy replacing your turbos often.

That is a 220hp ticking time bomb, ignore anything that idiot says.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
You can work over a 14b to give pretty good power and high boost, but that likely means a heavily worked over engine as well. The fastest non-nitrous 14b powered DSM is currently 10.677 at 128mph in a FWD 93 Talon race car on slicks.

DSM times page for 14b: http://www.dsmtimes.org/times.php?Header_Type=Turbo_14b&Page=1

Of course the engine and turbo in that CRX doesn't apply.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Looks like I should start stockpiling E30s down here and sell them up north at ridiculous inflated prices, I could make a freakin killing.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

http://annarbor.craigslist.org/cto/4794436084.html

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

So that's who buys poo poo out of the Sky Mall catalogue.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Too terrible to not post.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/4787149570.html

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
What is Yonaka and why do I keep seeing that name everywhere?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Found this in related videos over in Awesome Car Stuff, then found the auction it was made for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ol8bzv-894&t=135s

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291321908312?forcerRptr=true&item=291321908312&viewitem=&autorefresh=true

I couldn't leave it that nasty, or with the broken interior, but the turbo would stay right where it is.
Conroe is only 300 miles away, but I barely have $25 at the moment, much less $2500, which seems slightly high to me anyway.
So... anyone want to buy my '90 RX-7 and a bunch of first-gen RX-7s and parts? (Not all of them, just the extras. Yes, I have extra cars - they kept following me home. This IS AI, remember.)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Human Grand Prix posted:

yonaka.com

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Human Grand Prix posted:

I just recently installed a Yonaka exhaust on my Miata and for $250 it's the cat's rear end. Good quality stainless cat back at a great price and sounds bitchin'. Would buy again A+

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

BoostCreep posted:

You can work over a 14b to give pretty good power and high boost, but that likely means a heavily worked over engine as well. The fastest non-nitrous 14b powered DSM is currently 10.677 at 128mph in a FWD 93 Talon race car on slicks.

DSM times page for 14b: http://www.dsmtimes.org/times.php?Header_Type=Turbo_14b&Page=1

Of course the engine and turbo in that CRX doesn't apply.
I've seen some of those cars, and it's crazy that they're running mid 10's now. But the entire point of that engineering exercise is to come up with clever solutions to an arbitrary bottleneck. Even the actual 14B is similar to a stock item in name only. Most of them are honed/ported, re-welded, fitted with custom wheels/bearings and external gates. And of course, the monstrous labor to setup a drag car around it. The credit should never go to the 14B, but to the people who make it work against all odds. I'm sure you know that, but I don't want people to walk away thinking that 14B is some sort of a magic turbocharger.

That list of names is trip down memory lane. I've left NABR when Obama got elected and every other post was either a racist joke or complaints about ammo prices.

leica posted:

it's the cat's rear end
What's so good about cat's rear end?

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/4789666506.html

So last month I came across this car and another 77 in red on a heavy equipment auction. My dad had a nearly identical one that he restored and was the first manual transmission I drove and Lotuses have always held a special place in my heart so I went to check it out. The owner of this business that was being liquidated obviously had good taste, there were also 2 AW11s in disrepair.

So I look over the two lotus's and the black one was the better having the euro bumpers, Dellorto carbs, a mostly complete interior and fuel lines that didn't literally crumble when I touched them. I figure it is way to far gone to really restore but with some work and my intimate knowledge of these I could make a useable daily driver out of it. I run the bidding up to about $4400 which would be a pretty good deal but get outbid by a guy from Oregon (who I'm pretty sure I've met). I log off with him and another guy still going back and forth at $5700 so I don't know what it finally went for but I'm guessing in the $6700 range since one like this is probably worth $7500 in the classifieds.

Low and behold, here it is! Listed at about double it's value! Not sure if this guy planned to flip it from the start or just got over exited and in over his head. Maybe if I have a lucky windfall I'll go offer him a reasonable price.

The ad talks it up a lot but here's a bit of what I saw:

The fuel tanks were repainted or replaced but were already starting to rust because the underlying problem(bad rear hatch seal)was never adressed
The gelcoat is cracked and damaged all around
The engine cover has been hacked up with little access holes over the oil and water fillers(seriously? you had to get in there often enough you couldn't bother lifting the cover?)
Some crazy ventilation fan in the engine cover screams misled attempt to fix and overheating issue.
The hood release had a bodge job repair.
The visible bits of frame were mostly rust free but the top of the backbone is almost certainly rusted away due to the felt buffers they used until 80something
The Engine may have Dellortos stuck on but it's still a federal version with 8:1 compression.
The interior leather is reupholstered but the carpet and bespoke bit are falling apart or missing.
Lots of non-stock bits bodged on and missing parts
I jump started it while i was there but only let it run for a few seconds because it had no coolant and very little oil in it. The auction house says they test drove it so god knows what damage was done.

Bibendum fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 11, 2014

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Get this one instead:

No worries about the PO loving up the engine (because there isn't one).

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Wolfsbane posted:

Get this one instead:

In my experience, PO's... uh... find a way.

piss boner
May 17, 2003

Black88GTA posted:

http://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/4781471940.html

http://i.imgur.com/X1CVavg.jpg

Wish I had time / space for something like this. How many of these can there be left in this kind of shape?

I don't know why but I have always had a fondness for those wheels. So much so that I have six of them in my garage, only three centercaps though.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wolfsbane posted:

Get this one instead:

If it were actually functional it would be worth it. One million for a prop is pretty drat steep though.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Wolfsbane posted:

Get this one instead:

I saw that episode of American Resto. That car is not so much "restored" as "recreated". The original prop was little more than a painted frame, most of the doohickeys you see there were made from scratch based on photo reference. They move around and you can actually sit in it, but it doesn't roll, there's no engine, it's basically just a museum piece.

And it's not worth more than maybe $30k as such. For $100k you could have one that works (not amphibiously, but rolls) built from scratch.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Wolfsbane posted:

Get this one instead:

It's funny, I read this post while in the pediatrician's waiting room this morning - when we went into the room, spotted this book...

It also featured a little factoid on previous Craiglist Gold feature, the Zil:

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

quote:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/4795417115.html
1991 skyline gtst r32 coupe

Price is firm or willing to trade for something of equal value.

needs body work and paint

Missing windshield, was gonna buy plexiglass but stuff came up.

Needs radiator, Car runs and starts fine. Everything works, but needs driver side window switch

I really like Skylines, but, who does he think is going to buy this for $16K? It's legally unregisterable, not a GT-R, and looks like it's been thrashed. $16K could get you a really nice 'Vette, or even an FD3S RX7.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

PhoenixWing posted:

I really like Skylines, but, who does he think is going to buy this for $16K? It's legally unregisterable, not a GT-R, and looks like it's been thrashed. $16K could get you a really nice 'Vette, or even an FD3S RX7.

Maybe the idiot heard r32s were legal and thought that applied to all on them.

Also, that's in California? Of all places to bring an illegal import.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

VideoTapir posted:

Maybe the idiot heard r32s were legal and thought that applied to all on them.

Also, that's in California? Of all places to bring an illegal import.

Its $16k and California. Someone will buy that as a track-car or just as a lark.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4765435735.html

I really really want this

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 12, 2014

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

PhoenixWing posted:

It'll be legal in Texas in 2016. Still wouldn't pay $16k for it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Darchangel posted:

It'll be legal in Texas in 2016. Still wouldn't pay $16k for it.

It would be legal in the US if it was imported into the US in 2016.

As it stands, he probably got the awesome idea of the canadian seller driving it over the border for him. and it's in the US illegally.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

DO IT, my first car was a 90 CV, I currently have an 86 CV with similar mileage to that one, they are amazing if you can afford the gas.

Offer him $2500.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Pham Nuwen posted:

DO IT, my first car was a 90 CV, I currently have an 86 CV with similar mileage to that one, they are amazing if you can afford the gas.

Offer him $2500.

I like my miata but that 270tq five liter is beckoning...

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

I like my miata but that 270tq five liter is beckoning...

I really hate the paint color but otherwise it looks pretty nice. I always liked the dash on the 89-90 CV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Pham Nuwen posted:

I really hate the paint color but otherwise it looks pretty nice. I always liked the dash on the 89-90 CV.

Agreed. Wrong color.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5rRZdiu1UE