Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Great Joe posted:

smb is a good example of a game avoiding ludonarrative dissonance, actually

I don't know what this means, Great Joe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

bonzibuddy64 posted:

I don't know what this means, Great Joe.
The story is silly, the gameplay is silly.

There. That's "avoiding ludonarrative dissonance".

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

The psychedelic nature of Super Mario Bros.'s narrative is reinforced by your main interaction with the game world: Jumping. Mario's jump is several times his own height, is accompanied by a friendly sound effect and when he's big it can break blocks that look made out of bricks. Additionally, the power-ups are similarly abstract and colourful, reinforcing the psychedelic atmosphere by recalling one of the most well-known works of psychedelia in western literature, Alice In Wonderland.

Ludonarrative dissonance is a bad term to describe a problem that has been blown way out of proportion. Sure, it's nice when there's cohesion between narrative and game, but it isn't required to make a good game, and I don't know why reviewers keep harping on it.

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Dec 10, 2014

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
Thanks.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

You too.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh so it's like how in gta4 Niko keeps talking about trying to live peacefully in America after the war but you the player can still walk into the street with an rpg and go to town

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
Or Nathan Drake

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Wormskull posted:

To my estimate it's the weekly thing with the longest run on the site.

wouldn't that be the bombcast?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Shoehead posted:

Oh so it's like how in gta4 Niko keeps talking about trying to live peacefully in America after the war but you the player can still walk into the street with an rpg and go to town
Yup.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
I kind of like these guys but I've only listened to a few of their podcasts and a lot of the time they just talk about boring poo poo. Kinda wish I didn't have to have a Premium account or whatever to see some of the videos my friends are talking about. Anyways, I'm more of a Mega64 podcast fan.

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

Machai posted:

wouldn't that be the bombcast?

it is

the bombcast has kinda even been around longer than gb itself actually

when jeff first got fired from gamespot he was running a gaming blog (with ryan, if i recall) that eventually turned into giantbomb and that had a podcast

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

bonzibuddy64 posted:

I kind of like these guys but I've only listened to a few of their podcasts and a lot of the time they just talk about boring poo poo. Kinda wish I didn't have to have a Premium account or whatever to see some of the videos my friends are talking about. Anyways, I'm more of a Mega64 podcast fan.

Im really looking forward to the Christmas cast this year. I stay up for it no matter what every year. For those who don't know Meg64 do Jackass style eating contests every Christmas, it's gross!

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Machai posted:

Jeff summed it up nicely right off the bat before they had to go into detail "It's a loan for your house"

like, it is a loan but with a different name because it is for your house

it pains me they had to explain it further and then probably confused him more by mentioning refinancing the loan

Dan might be the most "live in the moment" guy I've ever seen. His decision making is truly without any cornern or regard for what tomorrow may bring, whether it's what he eats, drinks or where here lives.

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed
dan is literally a budda

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

cenotaph posted:

I bet his casket was a hard carry.

Someone should "carry" you to the slaughterhouse

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

There quick look of duke nukem forever is funny.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Wormskull posted:

There quick look of duke nukem forever is funny.

the first quick look i ever saw was leisure suit larry box office bust

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
My first one was that American Gladiator-esque minigame collection thing for Wii with Vinny and Ryan. *smacks lips* Fantastico.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

cenotaph posted:

Ha

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

Let me take you for a ride.
That's not a very clever or tasteful joke.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Whats the official opinion on Drew?

My opinion: I like him.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Patrick sucks soooooo much when does he gently caress off back to dumbland?

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

He's a swell dude.

Has anyone listened to the new book podcast that went up today with Dan and Drew?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Dan has been known to eat an entire can of easy cheese in one sitting.

Without crackers.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

NienNunb posted:

he's gone now, rejoice

Drew is really cool and I'm glad he's able to be in more stuff now that Jason is there to do all the audio video stuff

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
I would love to go drinking with Drew and Dan. Dan could tell the really stupid stories about his everyday life and Drew could teach me about Korea and poo poo. It would be really fun

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Dryzen posted:

Drew is really cool and I'm glad he's able to be in more stuff now that Jason is there to do all the audio video stuff

this

drew is a role model

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

NienNunb posted:

imagine him all the time

that was a reality for awhile

patrick qls all day and drew wasnt even a thing then really

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Liquid Penguins posted:

this

drew is a role model

Dan is the weird uncle who shows up at family events and tells you stories you think are bs but then he shows you his bathtub full of cooked chicken (no bones).

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Drew is great, he plays super complicated flight sims and hikes and takes trips abroad and makes me feel a little guilty for not doing the same.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Drew has the same talking about stuff problems as Patrick but, he's not as irritating since well I don't know why, anyway he's cool. Although he's extremely bad at video games, like worse than any of the others.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I'm glad Jason came with Dan more because he's at least tied with vinny for the a/v stuff, Drew being able to go on camera is more of a nice side effect for me.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-tony-hawk-ride/2300-1665/ lol

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Wormskull posted:

Drew has the same talking about stuff problems as Patrick but, he's not as irritating since well I don't know why, anyway he's cool. Although he's extremely bad at video games, like worse than any of the others.

Because Drew isn't a simpering little bitch about everything like patrick

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

Wormskull posted:

Probably because Drew is an adult whereas Patrick is eternally trapped in puberty.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The APB quick look is good as well.

Is that Jamiroquai -- Oh that's just two dudes in one.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Patrick should have broken his neck that night.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The Kinect Launch poo poo is some of the best content on the site... lmfao

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

cenotaph posted:

shoulda saved it for when Brad dies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009