Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
come and join the Dark Syde of let's play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

ChaosArgate posted:

Cheez you should probably quit early before you get dogpiled again.

No you're right, that was him.

And the best part is that nobody actually understood what I was saying and the avatar was pretty much the opposite of what I was trying to tell people.

edit: i'm doing dumb things again

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Much like your posting!

And also yours.

no gently caress you I am mad about something to do with LPs and you will bloody well know about it

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
burn it down

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

this doesn't actually address anything I said though

ya'll are saying that this thing in a video LP is good if you're not actually watching the video portion of the LP and while that may be true, it's pretty odd to use that as a compelling argument for doing that thing because it's based on the assumption that your audience is mostly ignoring or not paying particularly close attention to the actual visuals, which is like half the point of a video and at that point why actually bother with the video if you're assuming nobody is actually watching by reading off the dialogue?

I really don't get it. Chilling out and putting some LP videos in the background to listen to while you do other stuff is cool, but building your videos around that kind of experience basically leaves you with the let's play equivalent of an audiobook. I'm not saying you're wrong to watch videos in this manner, I am saying that making a VLP while accommodating that very specific method of consuming the LP to the detriment of everyone actually watching the video is...strange.

i basically repeated myself because you opted to dodge the loving question the first time with some namby pamby "the answer is in the middle" poo poo. It's all or nothing in this instance because you're either reading the drat dialogue off or you're not, there's no middle ground here. Apply yourself.

My point is, it shouldn't be condemned to have a video speaking the lines. Most people have better things to do than keep their eyes constantly on a video. I should be able to take my eyes off the video for a moment to do something else and not miss anything vital. If someone is doing it BADLY, that's another thing, but there is nothing to be lost unless you're some weirdo who can't do more than one thing at a time. There is absolutely no fair reason for text being read to bother you. I can't change anyone's mind about this and I don't expect to, but acting like not reading the text should be an absolute truth for any and all LPs with text to read, there's a problem here. Is it really such a big deal that you lost a few seconds of your life because someone read the text instead of flipping through it? It's a subjective thing and it's ridiculous to argue that it's more right to not read text aloud.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Cheez posted:

Most people have better things to do than keep their eyes constantly on a video.

Most people also have better things to do than spend time waiting for a video to continue because the person playing is reading the text aloud when anyone else looking at it would have been able to read through it twice.

quote:

If someone is doing it BADLY, that's another thing, but there is nothing to be lost unless you're some weirdo who can't do more than one thing at a time.

Being capable of multitasking doesn't mean I'm obligated to. Maybe I want to watch the video in fullscreen, maybe I like looking at the game, maybe I'm not looking to get twenty things done at once.

quote:

There is absolutely no fair reason for text being read to bother you.

If you're going to take that stance, you can't honestly expect anyone to take you seriously saying that the text not being read bothers you. We all understand your point, and yes, it's subjective; try to understand the other point of view now.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Cheez posted:

Most people have better things to do than keep their eyes constantly on a video.

I say this with peace and love: maybe they should look into podcasts instead. Serial is pretty good. Personally, I think Adnan has a dark side.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Cheez posted:

My point is, it shouldn't be condemned to have a video speaking the lines. Most people have better things to do than keep their eyes constantly on a video. I should be able to take my eyes off the video for a moment to do something else and not miss anything vital. If someone is doing it BADLY, that's another thing, but there is nothing to be lost unless you're some weirdo who can't do more than one thing at a time. There is absolutely no fair reason for text being read to bother you. I can't change anyone's mind about this and I don't expect to, but acting like not reading the text should be an absolute truth for any and all LPs with text to read, there's a problem here. Is it really such a big deal that you lost a few seconds of your life because someone read the text instead of flipping through it? It's a subjective thing and it's ridiculous to argue that it's more right to not read text aloud.

Most people also have better things to have on in the background than LP, I feel like that just leads to a "why bother putting in any effort at all?" kind of slippery logic slope and i'm aware I'm not doing myself any favours by being extremist like that.

i mean, it's not a big deal that some guy's reading off the text in the same way that LP in general isn't a huge deal, but in perspective with the hobby, yeah it's kind of irritating and turns me off watching videos which is about as close to a "big deal" as it gets when you're dealing with people talking over videogames. If you want to know why I find it mildly annoying, it's because I can read the text way faster than the guy can read it to me and otherwise I'm just listening to the guy repeat what I just read, there's a reason why it's considered bad form to repeat what your slides say when giving a presentation and I feel the principle applies pretty well to LP, honestly. It IS actually pretty detrimental to the viewer who's actually watching. That said, you also still haven't explained why if you're going to vocalise the text for the benefit of people not actually watching the video, why make it a video LP at all?

I don't actually think it is that subjective, there's not much to be gained and a fair amount to lose from doing it. You apparently gain accessibility to those who aren't actually watching the video to begin with and lose the attention of people paying attention and making decisions based on people not actually really looking is an odd thing to do.

hate to come across as having such strong opinions on something that is admittedly very petty but I genuinely don't think it's ever worth the trade-off to please people putting no-effort into watching by putting in no-effort yourself. That way lies mediocrity and is why I do declare that it is just a flat bad thing to do.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

frozentreasure posted:

Most people also have better things to do than spend time waiting for a video to continue because the person playing is reading the text aloud when anyone else looking at it would have been able to read through it twice.

Being capable of multitasking doesn't mean I'm obligated to. Maybe I want to watch the video in fullscreen, maybe I like looking at the game, maybe I'm not looking to get twenty things done at once.

If you're going to take that stance, you can't honestly expect anyone to take you seriously saying that the text not being read bothers you. We all understand your point, and yes, it's subjective; try to understand the other point of view now.

I never said that it bothers me that it's not being read. I was trying to say it would only be a convenience if it was. The main thing being that I can't see it as an evil. It doesn't help that in videos with text, I'm usually capable of reading what's there at the same rate as it would be spoken, so someone also speaking it doesn't seem like a major change for anything but videos with actual commentary during said text. In those cases, they're better off not reading the lines.

edit:

Most people also have better things to have on in the background than LP, I feel like that just leads to a "why bother putting in any effort at all?" kind of slippery logic slope and i'm aware I'm not doing myself any favours by being extremist like that.

i mean, it's not a big deal that some guy's reading off the text in the same way that LP in general isn't a huge deal, but in perspective with the hobby, yeah it's kind of irritating and turns me off watching videos which is about as close to a "big deal" as it gets when you're dealing with people talking over videogames. If you want to know why I find it mildly annoying, it's because I can read the text way faster than the guy can read it to me and otherwise I'm just listening to the guy repeat what I just read, there's a reason why it's considered bad form to repeat what your slides say when giving a presentation and I feel the principle applies pretty well to LP, honestly. It IS actually pretty detrimental to the viewer who's actually watching. That said, you also still haven't explained why if you're going to vocalise the text for the benefit of people not actually watching the video, why make it a video LP at all?

I don't actually think it is that subjective, there's not much to be gained and a fair amount to lose from doing it. You apparently gain accessibility to those who aren't actually watching the video to begin with and lose the attention of people paying attention and making decisions based on people not actually really looking is an odd thing to do.

hate to come across as having such strong opinions on something that is admittedly very petty but I genuinely don't think it's ever worth the trade-off to please people putting no-effort into watching by putting in no-effort yourself. That way lies mediocrity and is why I do declare that it is just a flat bad thing to do.
Well, again, it very much is subjective, or there wouldn't be a discussion about it right now. Would you not be just as pissed off if someone didn't speak, but left the text up longer than your reading speed? You can't please everyone, but you shouldn't TRY to please everyone. The main focus should be on less trivial things, like the video and audio quality, pacing, editing, commentary content (beyond the text reading). There's a lot that matters more, and that's what I'm trying to say.

double edit: At the very least, when there's game text, at the very least summing it up would be helpful, and some people don't even do that. I don't like having to pause the video, or go back and watch what I missed, because I don't want to dedicate myself full-time to video watching. I have a lot of videos to watch, and a lot of real life things to do, and if I choose one or the other they're only going to pile up higher. It's easy to watch a game out of the corner of your eye, but it's harder to read text that way.

Cheez fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 11, 2014

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

One of these days Let's Play on tape will be a big thing. Better get your funny voices ready for when that happens. :smuggo:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I'm more of a vinyl man, myself.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Cheez posted:

I don't want to dedicate myself full-time to video watching. I have a lot of videos to watch,

What on earth is going on here?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Cheez posted:

Well, again, it very much is subjective, or there wouldn't be a discussion about it right now. Would you not be just as pissed off if someone didn't speak, but left the text up longer than your reading speed? You can't please everyone, but you shouldn't TRY to please everyone. The main focus should be on less trivial things, like the video and audio quality, pacing, editing, commentary content (beyond the text reading). There's a lot that matters more, and that's what I'm trying to say.

I've tried to explain why I think it is just a flat out bad thing and all I'm getting from this is "It's subjective because my opinion differs but I'm not actually explaining why it differs". Like no, you can't do that. I could go ahead and disagree with a lot of things but turning around and saying those things are now subjective because I disagree with them is some circular logic.

Also, video quality is a big deal but reading the text isn't? I mean, I agree. But if the latter is OK because it's good if you're not actually watching the video then surely the former also isn't particularly important because you're also not actually watching the video.

sure there are more important things than small things like reading off the text but that is beside the point completely

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

I've tried to explain why I think it is just a flat out bad thing and all I'm getting from this is "It's subjective because my opinion differs but I'm not actually explaining why it differs". Like no, you can't do that. I could go ahead and disagree with a lot of things but turning around and saying those things are now subjective because I disagree with them is some circular logic.

Also, video quality is a big deal but reading the text isn't? I mean, I agree. But if the latter is OK because it's good if you're not actually watching the video then surely the former also isn't particularly important because you're also not actually watching the video.

sure there are more important things than small things like reading off the text but that is beside the point completely

It's still far easier to watch action in a video than to read text when it comes to not directly looking at it. I can't speak for you, and you can't speak for me, but someone is going to wish there was more accessibility in a video, and right now that's me. It isn't as if I'm turning my back to the video and can't see anything, you know.

Also, you being irritated by someone reading text because you're capable of reading faster is, in fact, an example of a subjective idea.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Combat Lobster posted:

One of these days Let's Play on tape will be a big thing. Better get your funny voices ready for when that happens. :smuggo:

I too enjoyed Digimon: the Movie on VHS. It was approved by Angela Anaconda and you know that can't be a bad thing.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Cheez posted:

Also, you being irritated by someone reading text because you're capable of reading faster is, in fact, an example of a subjective idea.

reading is faster than speaking for like most of the population, it's pretty not subjective, that's just a fact of how humans function.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

reading is faster than speaking for like most of the population, it's pretty not subjective, that's just a fact of how humans function.

No, not that. I meant the annoyance part.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Combat Lobster posted:

I'm looking forward to the Let's Play future, when Let's Players will send you their dialogue and it's up to you to play the game in synch with it.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Nihilarian posted:

I'm looking forward to the Let's Play future, when Let's Players will send you their dialogue and it's up to you to play the game in synch with it.

Still, it won't mean poo poo unless you can play it in reverse and have it synch with The Wizard of Oz.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I forget the LP but it was a really good Horror LP that would put the pages up for those who wanted to read, and did a quick re-cap for those who didn't. It worked really really well.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Cheez posted:

No, not that. I meant the annoyance part.

OK, but even at absolute best someone is just going to be having a very small to a very large (depending on how text-heavy the game is) amount of their time being wasted since I very much doubt anyone extracts pleasure from having a thing they just read being read back to them, which leaves just absolute neutrality.

like even if they're the most passive and neutral viewer imaginable and take issue with nothing I still contend that wasting the time of this hypothetical boring person is worse than the alternative of not.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

OK, but even at absolute best someone is just going to be having a very small to a very large (depending on how text-heavy the game is) amount of their time being wasted since I very much doubt anyone extracts pleasure from having a thing they just read being read back to them, which leaves just absolute neutrality.

like even if they're the most passive and neutral viewer imaginable and take issue with nothing I still contend that wasting the time of this hypothetical boring person is worse than the alternative of not.

Well, fair enough. I still don't think it's a reason to criticize an LP unless they're doing some awful reading.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Has anyone stepped in regarding these two nerds screaming at each other's balls yet or can we continue making fun of them?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

toddy. posted:

Has anyone stepped in regarding these two nerds screaming at each other's balls yet or can we continue making fun of them?

who let you out of GBS

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

toddy. posted:

poo poo, there are times when we're not supposed to be making fun of nerds who have serious opinions about ell pee?

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Mico posted:

burn it down

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Cheez posted:

Well, fair enough. I still don't think it's a reason to criticize an LP unless they're doing some awful reading.

If they had been at all listenable while reading the text out loud, I indeed would have phrased my advice closer to "I'd rather you don't do this, but some people might like it" instead of "loving STOP THAT".

In the end, people will make what they make and we have the choice of what to watch and what not to watch. All we can hope is to help them make it better for us.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'm glad "I like thing" vs "I don't like thing" has managed to drag itself across two pages, good job Sandcastle.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'm glad "I like thing" vs "I don't like thing" has managed to drag itself across two pages, good job Sandcastle.

for real though what the gently caress else is this thread for, if it's not OK to engage in dumb conversations about petty poo poo relating to LP here of all places then what am I supposed to be doing here exactly because the only other thing that seems to happen is shitposting.

i feel like sandcastle became the blast zone at some point, this is the future we chose.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

toddy. posted:

Edward_Tohr posted:

poo poo, there are times when we're not supposed to be making fun of nerds who have serious opinions about ell pee?

kirbysuperstar posted:

Well guys, we'd better stop discussing LPs in the LP discussion thread. The four heavenly kings have spoken.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Cheez posted:

Well guys, we'd better stop discussing LPs in the LP discussion thread. The four heavenly kings have spoken.

hey look we found something we can agree on

namely in that pretending to ironically not care about LP while simultaneously posting in a thread whose entire and explicit purpose is to discuss LP is loving stupid and you should all stop kidding yourselves and join the banter.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

the proper thing to have done in this situation was to give your opinion about what someone posted so that they could take it into consideration. that is the point of this thread. it never works you see

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Dryzen posted:

the proper thing to have done in this situation was to give your opinion about what someone posted so that they could take it into consideration. that is the point of this thread. it never works you see

Well it did, except what followed two differing opinions was a discussion of said opinions and the reasoning for why they felt that way. It's a really good way of helping someone weigh an issue and you should try it sometime.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

shut up this is exactly what i mean

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Dryzen posted:

shut up this is exactly what i mean

THE SYSTEM WORKS

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
If you want to know my honest opinion, it's that you can read text on the screen if you think it will make for a funny and entertaining video. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Use your judgment. Deconstructing comedy always makes an enjoyable discussion.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Turtlicious posted:

I forget the LP but it was a really good Horror LP that would put the pages up for those who wanted to read, and did a quick re-cap for those who didn't. It worked really really well.

That's the thing with text on screen, or during cutscenes or whatever. If they're text heavy, I think it's always a nice touch when the LPer just cuts it from the video, and then posts screen caps of it in the thread. That way it doesn't break the flow of the video itself, and those that are interested can still read and keep up, even though the LPer will usually give just a small summary of what's going on.

That of course for text heavy games. If it's not to long and drawn out, then just leave it in, but either just say nothing while the text is scrolling, or talk about something relevant, either to what's going on, or about the game in general. Reading text is just a nuisance for me, as I have a natural tendency to read it for myself, and will usually gently caress up while doing that if it's being read to me.

But then again I'm one of those people that WATCH the video in a VLP. I guess YT only LPs are different, as they don't have a forum to post screen caps and poo poo on, but still.

In the end, it's a matter of preference. Except for just horrible VA, that's pretty much never good. Unless you can actually do something REALLY GODDAMN FUNNY with a character's text, and even then only in small doses, then just don't.

Topic change:
Would people get mad if I made an ASCII (or whatever), of the Konami code, except instead of with font characters, primarily use ":letsplay:"?

e: gently caress, just tried to test post it, apparently there's a smilie limit stopping this :( I guess I could make a decouple (fun new word to add to your diction) post for it in the sandcastle!

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

who let you out of GBS

:captainpop:

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

for real though what the gently caress else is this thread for

For you two? Nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

toddy. posted:

For you two? Nothing.

Which is ironic since you seem to think this thread isn't a catch all thread for LP discussion.

LP CRITICISM ONLY GUYS, STOP TALKING ABOUT LPS

• Locked thread