Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

TLG James posted:

I'm like 80% through Unity. It seems like the Assassin Council is about as useless as the panel is Mass Effect.

Seriously, do they help you with anything in the entire game? I miss being able to summon bros to help.

Pretty big spoilers, read at your own peril: when they kick you out of the Brotherhood, all I could think was "yeah, and?" Though what's interesting is that by the end of the game you can't even use the justification that you're an assassin anymore for all the stuff that you do; you pretty much just run around murdering everyone and opening chests with people's life savings in it because you're a gigantic rear end in a top hat. Arno is easily the most morally dubious of all the Assassin protagonists so far. Even moreso than Edward, because at least he grows a conscience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

macnbc posted:

For US people out there, K-Mart is currently selling Unity for $45.

It's the first time I've seen it discounted more than a couple dollars anywhere.

Ugh please no sales yet, I've tried to sell this game twice on eBay and can't get anyone to actually pay me. It's like they're reading the reviews after winning the auction.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Thank you to whoever in this thread called out an Amazon lightning deal for Rogue. My $30 copy just showed up. Played for a couple hours and it feels like an ultra-polished AC4, which I guess it is. I literally fell asleep during a modern Abstergo conversation. I'd rather any amount of Desmond over this faceless drone.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Thank you to whoever in this thread called out an Amazon lightning deal for Rogue. My $30 copy just showed up. Played for a couple hours and it feels like an ultra-polished AC4, which I guess it is. I literally fell asleep during a modern Abstergo conversation. I'd rather any amount of Desmond over this faceless drone.

:eng101: numbskull

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Palpek posted:

I started playing Rogue and drat I feel like I put old comfortable shoes on. It's basically Black Flag with new stuff, I have nothing against that.

While I'm enjoying the game they did completely gently caress up the crafting/hunting system. There are way too many different types of animals, especially since they just doubled what they originally had with the Arctic variants. Also the crafting menu itself is just annoying to deal with since it is just everything in a long list that doesn't change at all when you actually craft something.

Thankfully they kept that you can just buy anything and with the income system you'll always have plenty of cash on hand.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

muscles like this? posted:

they just doubled what they originally had with the Arctic variants

It's like M:TG Ice Age/Cold Snap. I'm going to have to craft boat upgrades with special Snow-Covered Lumber, aren't I?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CharlieWhiskey posted:

It's like M:TG Ice Age/Cold Snap. I'm going to have to craft boat upgrades with special Snow-Covered Lumber, aren't I?

Thankfully its only for animals. The River Valley area has a set of animals and the North Atlantic has exactly the same set, just with a different name but they count as different in regards to crafting. So an upgrade could require a hare and an ARCTIC hare.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Thankfully its only for animals. The River Valley area has a set of animals and the North Atlantic has exactly the same set, just with a different name but they count as different in regards to crafting. So an upgrade could require a hare and an ARCTIC hare.

Look, Shey just has a very specific kind of animal OCD that needs very specific animals for his upgrades

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

So I got a new laptop and finally got to play unity and despite the performance needing a lot of tweaks I'm really enjoying it. The fighting is really fun and reminds me of AC2 and brotherhood due to the heavy weapons, the parkour looks really fluid and paris is simply georgeous. Shame ubisoft released it so buggy, but it's a pretty solid game underneath all the bugs.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So, it turns out that quite a few bits of end game gear are locked behind the clubhouse bullshit. Is there a PC goon club or whatever i can join in order to at least have the chance of accessing these? I assume that once i'm in a club there'll be some kind of forced co-op based activity?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Good news everyone!

Ubisoft says they've almost finished making Assassin's Creed Unity!

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

Kin posted:

So, it turns out that quite a few bits of end game gear are locked behind the clubhouse bullshit. Is there a PC goon club or whatever i can join in order to at least have the chance of accessing these? I assume that once i'm in a club there'll be some kind of forced co-op based activity?
I have yet to figure out how to play club competition.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I don't think Ubisoft has started any of the club competition stuff yet, so what we have now is a game where 80% of the top tier equipment is literally impossible to get. :thumbsup:

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
I'm actually enjoying exploring the nooks and crannies of the the River Valley in Rogue. This is what AC3's frontier should have been like.

I'm sitting on a pile of cash from looting chests and liberal piracy. Will there be buildings for me to invest in for a return/cash stream, or should I just blow it on awesome swords and pistols?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I'm actually enjoying exploring the nooks and crannies of the the River Valley in Rogue. This is what AC3's frontier should have been like.

I'm sitting on a pile of cash from looting chests and liberal piracy. Will there be buildings for me to invest in for a return/cash stream, or should I just blow it on awesome swords and pistols?

You can renovate buildings for a cash stream. However that requires materials (wood, metal, stone) on top of the cash requirement.

I also think the exploration is the big selling point in Rogue. Exploring cave systems and the wilderness in the River Valley, and exploring the ice floes and shipwrecks of the North Atlantic were the big highlight for me.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

So, I'm part way through memory sequence 9 in Unity and is it just me or does almost none of the main game take part in the southern part of the map? Or is that about to dramatically change during the last 3 memory sequences?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Kin posted:

So, I'm part way through memory sequence 9 in Unity and is it just me or does almost none of the main game take part in the southern part of the map? Or is that about to dramatically change during the last 3 memory sequences?

I recall quite a bit of the last few sequences taking place in the lower part of the city. That said, I may be misremembering cause I was clearing out the cafe missions.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Not much of the plot happens down there.

Generally speaking those are harder zones so you are supposed to clear the right bank first. Of course Assassin's Creed hard is not really hard.

Whatever else happens I hope they do the Rift missions again in the future, they are awesome.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Updated to the newest AMD drivers (14.12) and it quite significantly increased the game's performance! Pretty happy about that. If you're running an AMD card it's definitely worth it to give it a shot.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Daily Forecast posted:

Updated to the newest AMD drivers (14.12) and it quite significantly increased the game's performance! Pretty happy about that. If you're running an AMD card it's definitely worth it to give it a shot.

Any idea how significantly? I'm running an R9 280X and I wasn't very happy with the framerate drops. Can you get a steady 40 fps now? I realize that dreams of 60 fps on this game will never be realized for whatever reason.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Running an R9 270X. FPS went from 20-25 to a pretty solid 45ish. Not quite a totally smooth experience yet, maybe the 1.4 patch will give us that, but very noticeably better and makes the game much more playable.

I dunno what the gently caress AMD put in those drivers. Fairy dust?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Daily Forecast posted:

Running an R9 270X. FPS went from 20-25 to a pretty solid 45ish. Not quite a totally smooth experience yet, maybe the 1.4 patch will give us that, but very noticeably better and makes the game much more playable.

Wow, that is very significant. Maybe 1.4 will actually get close to 60 fps. That's awesome. I'm reinstalling and gonna check it out this evening.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Well, I'm something like 10 or 12 hours into Assassin's Creed 3 and I'm officially bored out of my skull.
I got a taste of a little bit of everything it has to offer and that's all I can stand now.

The world is big and beautiful, yes, but it's also big and empty and full of animals that initiate an annoying QTE or trees and cliff faces that halt your speedy climbing spree.
Crafting is boring and tries my patience, it's a cool idea but the requirements for everything are absurd and the fact that pelts and stuff get damaged if you go after the animals the quick and easy way thus resulting in useless pelts is moronic.
Combat is hit and miss... it's fun to watch but not very fun to engage in especially with enemies that drat near invincible to every attack.
Ship combat is really bad after having played Black Flag before hand.
Connor is loving boring as poo poo and lacks any personality, the voice actors in this game are nearly all terrible... I don't give a poo poo about the story anymore either, thanks Connor.

Seriously, why DIDN'T they stick with Haytham and tell a Templar story for once?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Deakul posted:

Connor is loving boring as poo poo and lacks any personality, the voice actors in this game are nearly all terrible... I don't give a poo poo about the story anymore either, thanks Connor.

The thing that makes me mad about Connor is I really respect Ubisoft for telling a story with an indigenous protag complete with actual native language, but he is such a lame character that I'm sure nobody's going to come near that again because some stupid executives in a board room think that's the reason why nobody likes him. Hell, for all we know Ubisoft might have decided on the lameass British accents in Unity because they got scared off by the Connor response.

Deakul posted:

Seriously, why DIDN'T they stick with Haytham and tell a Templar story for once?

Ahem.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Even after buying Unity and being super disappointed, I would pay full price for Rogue on the PC if it was released right now.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
Now that Unity runs at a good framerate, I'm quite happy with game. It sure is gorgeous.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Finished the game. Wow you guys were right about the meta story line. Literally nothing that happens in the game matters in the "real world" story.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

TLG James posted:

Finished the game. Wow you guys were right about the meta story line. Literally nothing that happens in the game matters in the "real world" story.

I especially like the part where no-one cares that Arno had an actual Piece of Eden. I'd imagine that even if it were broken both the Assassin's and Templars would quite like that sword.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Ok Ubisoft, gently caress you.

Unity just crashed. I'm on chapter 10 and have about 50% completion because i've collected everything except the locked chests in the north part of the city with upwards of 10 hours on the loving thing.

The crash has wiped my save. Ubisoft is unable to load a save from the cloud for some reason. Loading the local save (which says it was made 5 minutes ago, just prior to the crash) does nothing. The companion app says there's no progress data. It's all just loving gone.

I'm done with this piece of poo poo.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Aishan posted:

I especially like the part where no-one cares that Arno had an actual Piece of Eden. I'd imagine that even if it were broken both the Assassin's and Templars would quite like that sword.

That was the piece of Eden that ended up with Napoleon.

I think they knew about that one. At least Subject 16 did. It's referenced in one of his puzzles.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

I actually got around to playing Watch_Dogs (got it free with Tropico 5) and lol at anyone who continues to buy Ubisoft games. If your game crashes and you lose your progress or feel cheated, good.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I actually got around to playing Watch_Dogs (got it free with Tropico 5) and lol at anyone who continues to buy Ubisoft games. If your game crashes and you lose your progress or feel cheated, good.

Watch Dogs is trash and I regret paying money for it

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

zen death robot posted:

Far Cry 4 is good

Warning: You will hate every NPC except for Chiffon and Longinus. Maybe Pagan too. It's alright

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Spent way too much time in AC:R collecting stuff. Also doing more of the story and its kind of hosed up that you end up killing Adewale.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Daily Forecast posted:

From what I understand the 14.12 drivers were basically a low level rewrite with all kinds of upgrades like full OpenCL 2.0 support, they even branded them with a new name.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
I'm like 80% through Rogue and I really really like it. My only complaint I can think of is that I agree with some other posters that the voice acting is abysmal. I came straight from playing through Black Flag and in comparison to Edward saying the exact same lines, Shay's voice is really flat and emotionless. I absolutely hate Gist. My husband says he sounds like Alan Thicke.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
I struggle with people's critique of Connor's voice actor in AC3, because I know Natives speak with different tone and cadence. Ezio's and Altair's speech lends more easily to eurocentric action/drama, so in contrast, Connor's voice sounds flat, which can make the character seem flat, reinforcing the Forrest Gump analogy.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I was checking the voice cast for AC3 and check out the lady who did Connor's mom:

She's actually Native American, her name is Kaniehtiio(same as in the game), and she's probably the most attractive woman I've ever seen.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

kinmik posted:

I'm like 80% through Rogue and I really really like it. My only complaint I can think of is that I agree with some other posters that the voice acting is abysmal. I came straight from playing through Black Flag and in comparison to Edward saying the exact same lines, Shay's voice is really flat and emotionless. I absolutely hate Gist. My husband says he sounds like Alan Thicke.

Gist's voice is amazing and hilarious and one of the best things about Rogue :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

kinmik posted:

Gist is weird because he's ALWAYS SHOUTING ABOUT EVERYTHING. Rogue does have a similar problem with Black Flag's story in that it takes you forever to actually become a Templar. Especially when Shay spends like two solid years hanging around all his new Templar buddies doing missions for them.

Its also weird in some of the legacy stuff from other games, like did you know that Shay has a house in New York City that you can enter where he keeps all his stuff? Its just super pointless because he's never there and has no reason to ever go inside since everything you can do in there can be done almost anywhere else in the game world.

• Locked thread