Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Gio posted:

i pulled my back three weeks ago working out because i'm a big dummy. a week later i re-aggravated it moving poo poo around the house. yesterday i was feeling good and thought, "skating won't hurt." aaaand i pulled my back tightening my skates.

don't think i'm gonna be skating for a long while. :smith:

That herniated disc that I had is finally starting to get better. I found that playing didn't aggravate it at all, if anything it loosened up my back and made it feel better.

The worst it hurt was bending over to tie my shoes/skates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Verman posted:

That herniated disc that I had is finally starting to get better. I found that playing didn't aggravate it at all, if anything it loosened up my back and made it feel better.

The worst it hurt was bending over to tie my shoes/skates.

i did try and get on the ice and stopped ten minutes or so into the drop-in. it hurt to skate, to reach out for the puck, pretty much everything. i shouldn't have got on the ice in the first place, but i'm addicted to hockey.

i have a doctor appointment wednesday to be on the safe side. obviously i think it just needs a lot of time to heal.

Gio fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 8, 2014

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
gently caress yeah that sucks.

I recall a month ago when I hurt mine and thinking that I would miss a few games. I went to my first game after hurting it thinking I would just watch as I could barely bend over at the waist to tie my skates/shoes. I figured I would try skating during the warmups to see if it was even possible. When I felt fine I played the game without issue. I played carefully for the first period trying to avoid long lunges and reaches but then played normal the rest of the game.

I'm not sure how exactly I hurt my back but it was in a weird way that sitting made it hurt more than standing/moving. Even a month later if I sit too long at my desk at work and get up to walk around my back kills me. When I make it a point to stand up and move around every 15 minutes its not an issue.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Acethomas posted:

Nitramster and I actually just finished this season and are looking for a new rookie/copper/etc league in LA since we don't want to have to drive to Westminster anymore. If you hear of anything let me know.

Get on the waiting list for iceangeles. Registration is open now

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
League photographer got a good picture of me taking a slapper. Whippy sticks are fun

Unfortunately in that game we coughed up a one goal lead with 2 minutes to go in the 3rd while on the powerplay in a best of 3 game 3 then lost in OT. lovely way to end a season.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Great photo. Shame about the jerseys

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Best of luck to all the goons doing playoff beer hockey this week! My team made a big push at the end of the season and I'm hoping we can make it into the semi's this year.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

In a random moment the other day, my son was trying on his new sparring gear for Tae Kwon Do. Like any body armored 8 year old, he wanted to fight, but he wanted me to have pads on, too.

So we got out the hockey gear I haven't worn for like 15 years. And it all still fits, except the skates. We had a good fight.

We took him ice skating that weekend (after I told him stories about playing hockey when I was younger), and he loved it, and I wasn't as rusty as I thought I'd be. So I wandered in to the pro shop and started pricing some new skates.

And now I'm going to start doing some stick and puck sessions. And then probably get into a league down the road some time.

Dang. All because of sparring pads.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Holy poo poo my team played like hot garage tonight. I'm pretty sure our defense doesn't know the definition off pinching therefore they don't know what it means not to do it.

Also I had an Italian beef before the game and I can tell you with an educated guess what it's like to play hockey 9 months pregnant. That loving fetus absorbed all my energy and I was gassed by the first shift which is rare for me. And my team thinks that incidental contact means the team is being chippy so they start tossing mitts.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

We're trying to join a new team in a division up after removing ourselves from the previous division due to uncompetitive games. The league is full so we can't put together our own team.

New team wants to have a team practice / try out. The team was 3-11, won 2 games against the only winless team and a 5-3 win against a team with no goalie. They have half as many goals for and over 2x as many goals against. The dude evaluating us had 0 goals and 2 assists in the whole season.

I mean, we are 5 of the top 8 scorers in the next lower league. Does he really have any room to be choosy given all of the above info?

Yeah, I don't think this is going to be a fit. ( If he suggested a tryout at the bar I'd be all for it)

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
So are any of you familiar with Stinky Socks Leagues? I recently moved and I'm still close enough that it isn't completely insane to drive the 40 minutes to keep playing in the league I've been playing in for years but I found a drop in tonight at 10 thats a little bit closer and was thinking of checking it out. I just thought I'd try to see if any of you guys were familiar with Stinky Socks first.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I got a new helmet off Tron for $24 shipped and it is pretty much identical to the one I wore back in the day and that made me inordinately happy. I'm going to put my number on the back of it even though I have a different number for each team I play for.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001

bigbillystyle posted:

So are any of you familiar with Stinky Socks Leagues? I recently moved and I'm still close enough that it isn't completely insane to drive the 40 minutes to keep playing in the league I've been playing in for years but I found a drop in tonight at 10 thats a little bit closer and was thinking of checking it out. I just thought I'd try to see if any of you guys were familiar with Stinky Socks first.

They range from good to decent, depending on the particulars of the skate you are in. They do strive to make sure that the divisions are close to the descriptions, but I have seen some guys obviously playing down. The ones I went to were like a glorified pickup, no one is playing like the stanley cup is on the line.

Twice I had problems- once with only 1 goalie and once there were only 2 skaters ( Fathers day). I was refunded without asking.

If you decide to buy a jersey, make sure you go big, my reversible one is super tight (and HOT)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Hockey owns so much that I just played 3 games during the same weekend I ran a marathon. I couldn't feel my legs for 2 of those 3 games. Yes I am dumb, don't ever run.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Hockey owns so much that I just played 3 games during the same weekend I ran a marathon. I couldn't feel my legs for 2 of those 3 games. Yes I am dumb, don't ever run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6SEXp3-lo8

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

EvilTwig posted:

They range from good to decent, depending on the particulars of the skate you are in. They do strive to make sure that the divisions are close to the descriptions, but I have seen some guys obviously playing down. The ones I went to were like a glorified pickup, no one is playing like the stanley cup is on the line.

Twice I had problems- once with only 1 goalie and once there were only 2 skaters ( Fathers day). I was refunded without asking.

If you decide to buy a jersey, make sure you go big, my reversible one is super tight (and HOT)

Thanks for the heads up. In the end it looks like I'm not going to make it to Milton at 10pm but I plan on making something happen in the near future.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

How long did it take you to run the marathon? Think about how much more hockey you could have been playing, which is both more physically demanding and also a shitload more fun.

Idiot.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

And as we all know pure cardio is the devil because it robs hockey players of their elite conditioning! :supaburn:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

That led me to this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6SEXp3-lo8

which owns.

Pleads posted:

How long did it take you to run the marathon? Think about how much more hockey you could have been playing, which is both more physically demanding and also a shitload more fun.

Idiot.

Agreed.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Lots of marathoners and iron man participants uncontrollably poo poo and piss themselves during the race.

Lots of people end up in medic tents and feel like death during and after marathons.

Running hurts my knees and hockey doesn't.

Just play hockey and have fun. gently caress running for all eternity.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Verman posted:

Lots of marathoners and iron man participants uncontrollably poo poo and piss themselves during the race.
That happens in hockey too, you know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsgrqlkkZ9M

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Mako Skates trip report:

Awesome, took me maybe 10 minutes of tooling around to get used to the more aggressive pitch, and a few awkward strides on quick starts but it shouldnt take long at all to get used to it.

I feel instantly more in control of my edges, and edge transfer and pivots are noticeably quicker. Best part is zero pain, zero pressure points, zero feeling that the skates need to be broken in.

In other news I also had a bit of time to work on my shot a bit now that my back is better, all the games I've played this year my slapshot has been 'off' and I wasnt sure what it was. Turns out I was too weak on my bottom hand grip and it was causing my stick to rotate a bit and opening up on contact with the puck, causing me to slice everything. Few minutes of getting the mechanics back down and I was back to ringing them off the crossbar.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

D C posted:

Few minutes of getting the mechanics back down and I was back to ringing them off the crossbar.

You should try aiming for the net! :haw:

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

I always found with my slapshots the key to getting consistent power and accuracy was to make sure my thumb on my bottom hand was pressing down on the top side of the shaft. Kept the stick in nice and secure and then I could really let them go.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

PFlats posted:

That happens in hockey too, you know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsgrqlkkZ9M

also, see: oilers, edmonton

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Gio posted:

also, see: oilers, edmonton

I will end this here.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But by all accounts, Lu made it to the toilet before soiling himself so I don't think that technically qualifies.

Dale Meets Wall
Aug 17, 2004

Dale will always steer you in the RIGHT direction!
Had my second session in my instructional league last night and it's still a blast. I feel more last night than I ever have before, but if you're not falling you're not pushing yourself and improving right? Definitely felt like I had more control of my edges and a better sense of the puck on my sick. Can't wait for next week!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So who here has the arms to handle 170 flex?

http://www.prostockhockey.com/sticks/player/left-zdeno-chara-dynasty-ax1lt-170-flex-stick/

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

I wonder what the flex on that would be once it was cut down to my size (I think my sticks are about 3'10"?). 215 maybe?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I'll have to look at one of my old sticks. It was a burgundy, white and green Nike Kevlar/graphite composite shaft from late 90s/early 00s from the early days of composites and it has something ridiculous like 210 flex (super stiff) but really its probably something like a 70 flex by todays standards.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I wonder what the flex on that would be once it was cut down to my size (I think my sticks are about 3'10"?). 215 maybe?

Every inch you cut is about 5 flex, so to get down to a 46 inch stick you'd have to cut off 23 inches, making it a 285 flex stick. :flex:

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

xzzy posted:

Every inch you cut is about 5 flex, so to get down to a 46 inch stick you'd have to cut off 23 inches, making it a 285 flex stick. :flex:

And the flex point would probably end up between the hands.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

DC lets go dog

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

xzzy posted:

Isn't that just a thumb rule? I assume in reality it's a percentage of the original stiffness. And that you also will have an increasing number the further you cut it.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

If I used that, my entire body would shake like in a cartoon if a character hit something metal with a baseball bat.

Verman posted:

I'll have to look at one of my old sticks. It was a burgundy, white and green Nike Kevlar/graphite composite shaft from late 90s/early 00s from the early days of composites and it has something ridiculous like 210 flex (super stiff) but really its probably something like a 70 flex by todays standards.

What about this bad boy?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
When I played in high school I had an aluminum shaft like that. Wish I hadn't given it away. Now I look at these sticks with all the numbers and I'm so confused.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I had that exact same sick in blue and yellow with a Brett hull pattern.

I grew up a wings fan so I didn't appreciate a blues stick but it was the nicest stick I ever had at that point so i dealt with it.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Spoiler alert: Everyone had that stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

so the doc said my back is permanently hosed and i will never skate again

that or he said take motrin and give it a rest for 2-3 weeks. not sure which.