Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

http://www.slowfood.com/slowcheese/eng/54/australia

quote:

As for raw milk cheese, Standard 4.2.4A currently allows for the manufacture of Emmental, Gruyere and Sbrinz raw milk cheese according to Swiss regulations. Also permitted is raw milk Roquefort cheese produced according to French Ministerial Orders and in accordance with some specified conditions.

Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ) is aware that there is some demand for a wider range of raw milk products to be made available in Australia. As such, they are currently assessing the requirements in the Food Standards Code for the sale of raw milk products (products that have not undergone a heat treatment or equivalent process) through Proposal P1007 - Primary Production and Processing Requirements for Dairy (Raw Milk) Products, whose work is restricted to regulating the production and sales of very hard, aged cheeses only.

In other words, under the current code, Australian cheesemakers are permitted to make cheese with raw milk,provided:

1) the curd is heated to a temperature of no less than 48°C.

2) the cheese or cheese product has a moisture content of less than 36%, after being stored at a temperature of no less than 10°C for a period of no less than 6 months from the date of processing.

So - basically only hard cooked cheeses.

I am comfortable with the pace and process involved so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Amethyst posted:

If you don't give a poo poo about foodie tossers then why do you care about them buying cheese? I've already explained my ideas about how you can regulate cheese to keep it within that niche.

For the mass market, I absolutely agree pasteurization should be mandatory.

Raw cheese only for the rich.

Classism aside, even the fanciest cheeses are within reach of most people.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Les Affaires posted:

http://www.slowfood.com/slowcheese/eng/54/australia

I am comfortable with the pace and process involved so far.

The debate is moving my way on the level where it matters. We'll see more and more raw milk cheese produced here over time.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Cartoon posted:

While I'm posting though this is all due to a link to a current story about a child dying on the Mornington peninsular so claims about relative harm need to be reassessed to some extent in light of fresh data.

I'm not empty-quoting, I'm saying "SmashAmethyst eat the cheese".

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

open24hours posted:

Raw cheese only for the rich.

Classism aside, even the fanciest cheeses are within reach of most people.

Depends on what you consider "fancy". I guess the people can subsist on their chalky mercy valley if it makes them feel good.

:smug:

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Amethyst posted:

The debate is moving my way on the level where it matters. We'll see more and more raw milk cheese produced here over time.

If this means the removal of more "foodie" wankers, I'm all for it.

Just go eat your poison cheese and curl up in a corner already.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

CrazyTolradi posted:

If this means the removal of more "foodie" wankers, I'm all for it.

Just go eat your poison cheese and curl up in a corner already.

You already made this post. Sorry I, and everyone else, ignored it. It wasn't that funny. Maybe some day you'll write something worth reading.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
Just making sure, even though it's sold to the parents as a novelty item or whatever it's still illegal to give your children raw milk and cheese right?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Gentleman Baller posted:

Just making sure, even though it's sold to the parents as a novelty item or whatever it's still illegal to give your children raw milk and cheese right?

It should be, if it isn't.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Amethyst posted:

You already made this post. Sorry I, and everyone else, ignored it. It wasn't that funny. Maybe some day you'll write something worth reading.

I'll aspire to be like you, and one day I too shall bawwww about the goverment stamping on my rights to enjoy lovely raw cheese, the way nature intended.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I bet people before the advent of pasteurisation ate raw cheese and raw milk all the time, and I bet they never died or suffered ill side effects from it. After all, it's natural, and natural stuff is always good for you.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

There was a recent outbreak of people getting sick of unpasteurised milk/cheese in SA.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Amoeba102 posted:

There was a recent outbreak of people getting sick of unpasteurised milk/cheese in SA.

Yup. Regressive hippie poo poo on Facebook drives me nuts.

e: lol, I missed that. Well played.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 11, 2014

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Amoeba102 posted:

:golfclap:

Yeah but I bet none of those pointy head journals will record them!

Also is an Amethyst cheese related melt down technically a fondue?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I bet people before the advent of pasteurisation ate raw cheese and raw milk all the time, and I bet they never died or suffered ill side effects from it. After all, it's natural, and natural stuff is always good for you.

Food processing regulations are clearly draconian, people surely survived before we had them. I mean, it's only LESS likely that you'll get sick or die now, might as well not bother with those pesky regulations at all.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Amoeba102 posted:

:vince:

I missed this the first time.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Just drink some loving milk

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Amethyst I'm sorry you are not the cheese connoisseur you think you are.

Anyone got a link to the Whirlpool thread that no doubt exists of all the nerd babies crying about how we're getting an internet filter and how they didn't vote for this.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I quote posts while telling the poster about how I am ignoring them.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Vamino is the superior white beverage.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

If the raw milk regulations are being looked at and are likely to be relaxed, why are you getting so bothered by smug Internet nerds giving you a ribbing for it? You'll have your cheese soon enough.

Is this the policy that will be the final nail in the coffin? As soon as it goes into action and people get a government message when going to a torrent site, people will get mad.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Tokamak posted:

If the raw milk regulations are being looked at and are likely to be relaxed, why are you getting so bothered by smug Internet nerds giving you a ribbing for it? You'll have your cheese soon enough.

Is this the policy that will be the final nail in the coffin? As soon as it goes into action and people get a government message when going to a torrent site, people will get mad.

With how many Australians currently access Netflix, I can't imagine people accessing torrents are going to be significantly effected.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I'm pretty sure I heard that Netflix as well as Taco Bell plan to officially expand into Australia soon.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Anidav posted:

I'm pretty sure I heard that Netflix as well as Taco Bell plan to officially expand into Australia soon.

Pretty sure we'll get the watered down Netflix like other countries outside the US of A.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Halo14 posted:

Pretty sure we'll get the watered down Netflix like other countries outside the US of A.

This, not to mention that Foxtel has exclusive licenses for certain popular content in Australia.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

They will probably outlaw VPNs or some poo poo under pressure from some dickheads at Sony Pictures/Universal/FOX. Because the On Demand companies are coming here, either from America or locally and the film industry will try to region lock as much poo poo as possible.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
...50 loving posts about cheese chat!

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Who even bothers with torrents? Just about everything is available on the various tube sites.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Australia will revert back to the 90s where you'd connect to the private network across the street to download The Matrix on a 56k connection.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Milk goes in cartons, not in the bath.

Idiots.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

WebDog posted:

...50 loving posts about cheese chat!

And my questions about how this will impact on cheesy nugs were never even answered :(

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Anidav posted:

Australia will revert back to the 90s where you'd connect to the private network across the street to download The Matrix on a 56k connection.

Or LAN parties will be a thing again.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

its going to change nothing but how much money is spent pointlessly protecting antiquated business models while anyone who really cares is humming along at their maximum possible bandwidth limit on SSL secured usenet.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Anidav posted:

I thought this was the Liberal NBN plan?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Imagine being one of those suckers who got tricked by Telstra to upgrade to a satellite connection in the early 2000s?

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Anidav posted:

Imagine being one of those suckers who got tricked by Telstra to upgrade to a satellite connection in the early 2000s?

Quite a few people in my area have Satellite as a part of the super fast NBN rollout...

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I still don't know why it's even offered in this day and age. The theoretical speed is 1Gbps but the average speed is less than 10Mbps. It's a technology that's completely hosed itself while Fibre keeps getting better and better.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Anidav posted:

I still don't know why it's even offered in this day and age. The theoretical speed is 1Gbps but the average speed is less than 10Mbps. It's a technology that's completely hosed itself while Fibre keeps getting better and better.

It's horrible for a few other reasons, for instance it's super laggy as gently caress due to latency issues. Weather shits all over it too.

It is, however, an easy and cheap solution for regional areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

hey! i like blue cheese. real blue. rodney rude FROGSACK blue.

• Locked thread