Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

ok $12.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O5XDOG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Elder Postsman posted:

hey uh my wife's late 2009 macbook pro doesn't turn on anymore (?????) even when plugged in and i'm guessing it's because the battery is hosed. does that sound right. do i just need to buy a new battery for it??

try an smc reset first

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

quote:

Shut down the computer.
Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
Press the power button to turn on the computer.
Note: The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

problem solved it was some fancy new trojan poo poo malwarebytes couldn't detect

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Luigi Thirty posted:

problem solved it was some fancy new trojan poo poo malwarebytes couldn't detect

what did?

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

cool thanks, i'll try that when i get home

e: haha that's probably it exactly. because it also does this "Fans
The computer's fans run at high speed although the computer is not experiencing heavy usage and is properly ventilated."
and this "The MagSafe power adaptor LED doesn't appear to indicate the correct activity."

nice.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Elder Postsman posted:

cool thanks, i'll try that when i get home

i hope it works :tipshat:

when i was a computer janitor, an smc reset fixed it maybe 7/10 times, it's unlikely that you need a new battery

you may have some third issue though :ohdear:

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

well if i do, will be sure to come back to this Really Useful Thread

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Luigi Thirty posted:

has anyone figured out how to do that mac typing diacritics by keyboard combinations on windows yet

Luigi Thirty posted:

?????

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
macs

just

work

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
is it normal that my kernel_task uses 500mb

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Maximum Leader posted:

is it normal that my kernel_task uses 500mb

just kill it you don't need it

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

hey everybody,
I have a site hosted on windows 2012. Users that are on IE8 cannot view the SSL page that's on this site, they get "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage".

- other SSL sites on other domains (example: amazon login page) load fine
- non-SSL sites on the same host load fine
- the users are in hospitals etc where ie8 is the only browser they can use

what do I do

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

paging shaggar

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

are the clients windows xp?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Name_Indication#Web_browsers.5B6.5D

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it might be a ssl/tls version mismatch. its very possible their it department disabled newer versions of tls (because hospital it is moronic) and they only have ssl v3 to get to your server which you hopefully have disabled ssl v3 on.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

hey everybody,
I have a site hosted on windows 2012. Users that are on IE8 cannot view the SSL page that's on this site, they get "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage".

what do I do

easiest way for it babbies is run it through qualys

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

hey everybody,

what do I do
tell them to test with IE9 and when it either works or they tell you they don't have IE9 tell them to gently caress off

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

They probably disabled RC4 because of the IETF recommendation. XP/IE8 can do TLS1.0 and there's no reason to turn that off, but it can't to AES ciphers. Tell them to enable 3DES to replace the RC4 cipher and it should work fine.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

i don't want to dig up the post, but Shaggar gave some really helpful advice a while back about using Macrium Reflect to move a windows installation to a bigger hard drive seamlessly. it couldn't have worked better, and i really appreciate the recommendation!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

tell them to stop using XP

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Leck posted:

i don't want to dig up the post, but Shaggar gave some really helpful advice a while back about using Macrium Reflect to move a windows installation to a bigger hard drive seamlessly. it couldn't have worked better, and i really appreciate the recommendation!

I think I got that from the ssd thread, but it does work really well and is very easy to use.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

a client computer not mine

Sophos endpoint protection of all things

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

hey everybody,

what do I do

windows doesnt support SSL properly so you should probably try a server running linux to do the server side of this

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

hey everybody,

what do I do

chances are the bits on the cert is like 1024 and u need 2048 hth because windows and ssl is megafail

edit: yeah also do qualys https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

graph posted:

chances are the bits on the cert is like 1024 and u need 2048 hth because windows and ssl is megafail

edit: yeah also do qualys https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/

lets see here

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=sniep.net

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i'm james.sniep

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i'm james.sniep

no i am

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

IE 8 / XP No FS 1 No SNI 2 Protocol or cipher suite mismatch Fail3

owned

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

graph posted:

IE 8 / XP No FS 1 No SNI 2 Protocol or cipher suite mismatch Fail3

owned

poo poo needs RC4 and im not down w/ that.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
sorry, people on internet exporer 8 on windows XP. lol.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
oh, graph, i see the context above now about the hospital with lovely clients... i was just shitposting. so the ask is specifically about IE8, is the hospital also only on XP still? cuz that's their fault that their clients are trash garbage, and if that was my env i would reluctantly enable RC4 but this is my personal website for posting images and other garbage apps just for me sooooooo

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sniep posted:

oh, graph, i see the context above now about the hospital with lovely clients... i was just shitposting. so the ask is specifically about IE8, is the hospital also only on XP still? cuz that's their fault that their clients are trash garbage, and if that was my env i would reluctantly enable RC4 but this is my personal website for posting images and other garbage apps just for me sooooooo

go sit in ur hugbox w/ ur timphone6 & case

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

graph posted:

go sit in ur hugbox w/ ur timphone6 & case

why r u mad

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sniep posted:

no you should use 3DES

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

how can I change the alias root path here? I'm making a bunch of long url redirects for our intranet to go in print and would like them to all run from intranet/go/appname instead of just intranet/appname.

as you may have guessed, I'm not a server admin :shobon:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol figured it out without exploding the server.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Sniep posted:

poo poo needs RC4 and im not down w/ that.

again, use 3DES

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
fiiiiiiiiiiiine. i was happy saying f-off to old xp browsers but w/e

cipher list isnt as pretty now though. lol.

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=sniep.net

e: i honestly didnt even realize that putting in 3DES would fix the super super old IE on win xp in the first place, i thought it was needing RC4 and that was what broke it so thanks for the heads up

Sniep fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 10, 2014

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Here's a site i configured earlier today: https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=honeyned.nl&latest

It runs apache so it's missing a few minor tweaks I like to do that do work on nginx but other than that I'm happy with it.

gently caress XP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

what is this called?
a csv comes in and has to be saved to another csV with a subset of the columns and in a different order
there must be a way in say excel to automate this
not macros
not manually
not vba

just like a definition file that says "put A into F, B into G, write this text into J,"