Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Poil posted:

What in the world is gothic manga?

Basically, manga with gothic elements similar to gothic fiction. This usually means a combination of horror and romance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Alder posted:

Basically, manga with gothic elements similar to gothic fiction. This usually means a combination of horror and romance.
I see. Are there any in particular you'd recommend? :)

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Another chapter of Stretch: http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/stretch_ch30

Looks like we may have plot development soon.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

"This is not stretching." Good thing they told us.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Poil posted:

"This is not stretching." Good thing they told us.

Close enough, really.

Chrysolith
Sep 13, 2008

What are some recommendations for short, 1 or 2 volume shoujo/josei? When I was younger, I enjoyed the lengthier stuff, but I just don't have the patience for it now, especially since I'm no longer a big fan of "Who will she get with?" plots that seem to be common in the genre. When that goes on for 50 chapters, I just get bored. I'd even be happy to read some one-shots, if anyone has recommendations for those as well.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Junjo Drop, Pink, Helter Skelter, Rivers Edge, They Were Eleven, A Drunken Dream, Banan bread pudding, Please Jeeves, and Kawa Yori mo Nagaku Yuruyaka ni are all great and short.

coathat fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 11, 2014

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Poil posted:

Vampire Knights

Count Cain/Godchild, Blood Hound, and Yuki Kaori has a bunch of one shots too. Gothic manga is influenced by gothic lolita fashion so YMMV if you can tolerate that or not. I want to say CLAMP but as you can tell from the prior posts their storytelling quality has declined over the years.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Would Princess Resurrection count as Gothic? I enjoyed that series.

... Not really shoujo though. It's mostly a big, sloppy love letter to horror movies.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Poil posted:

Alder posted:

Vampire Knights

Count Cain/Godchild, Blood Hound, and Yuki Kaori has a bunch of one shots too. Gothic manga is influenced by gothic lolita fashion so YMMV if you can tolerate that or not. I want to say CLAMP but as you can tell from the prior posts their storytelling quality has declined over the years.

Vampire Knights was... I didn't really know how to feel about it. I felt completely apathetic to everything in that series even though the beautiful art sucked me in at first, but man the characters were just a whole bunch of nothing.

I second Count Cain/Godchild though, Yuki Kaori's is fun; dark, but fun! My own recommendation of dark and gothic shoujo/josei is Dokuhime which is already done at 36ish chapters. It's a personal favorite of mine and I think the mangaka's other work Tamashii no Futago is also fascinating. A good mix of depressing, uplifting, horrifying, and yet it has a very good conclusion.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Nihilarian posted:

Would Princess Resurrection count as Gothic? I enjoyed that series.

... Not really shoujo though. It's mostly a big, sloppy love letter to horror movies.

I think so after a brief search. I haven't watched or read the series myself though. It's a common theme and probably what we call supernatural romance nowadays.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Princess Resurrection was mostly about using largely defanged horror cliches to tell weird stories. Surprisingly, it wasn't a harem manga. The ED was the only part of the anime worth watching, though.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Chrysolith posted:

What are some recommendations for short, 1 or 2 volume shoujo/josei? When I was younger, I enjoyed the lengthier stuff, but I just don't have the patience for it now, especially since I'm no longer a big fan of "Who will she get with?" plots that seem to be common in the genre. When that goes on for 50 chapters, I just get bored. I'd even be happy to read some one-shots, if anyone has recommendations for those as well.

Bonnouji is short

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Insurrectionist posted:

Another chapter of Stretch: http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/stretch_ch30

Looks like we may have plot development soon.

I like Stretch but I do wish the author would stop messing about and go 'oh yeah, they're totally into each other'. Or not, depending (but they totally are).

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Thanks for the recommendations. :)

I'm... not sure I'll read more than one though. It's not bad or anything, but just not quite my taste. I really like the bleakness but the horror is a bit uncomfortable, which I assume is the point. The whole doll look is kinda creepy.

Poil fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Dec 11, 2014

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I like Stretch but I do wish the author would stop messing about and go 'oh yeah, they're totally into each other'. Or not, depending (but they totally are).

Eh, I don't mind the current pacing too much assuming it actually goes somewhere. It's mostly SoL after all. Though if it ends ambiguously that'd be pretty dumb yeah.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I actually like what the author is doing with Stretch, how he started with a normal sol and slowly is introducing a possible romance/yuri. It has to be slow to be realistic, imo.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I finished reading Dokuhime in one sitting and I enjoyed most of it. It was good and definitely worth reading. Poor girl. :(

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Poil posted:

I finished reading Dokuhime in one sitting and I enjoyed most of it. It was good and definitely worth reading. Poor girl. :(

Awesome, I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Read Junjou Drop per the recommendation earlier, and it was great. :sparkles: I've also watched LoveCom and am following Please Love Delicious Meat, so I already knew I'd like Nakahara Aya's work at least.

Now working through the rest of her work :allears: Finished Ringo Nikki, Junjou Drop, and Himitsu Kichi; currently working on Nanaco Robin and Hanada. Himitsu Kichi was worth it for the 2nd and 4th one shots, but the first is kinda creeper-y.

In the style of Junjou Drop, what other shoujo/romance would you recommend with a delinquent/perceived delinquent?

coathat
May 21, 2007

Oresama teacher, My little monster, Sukeban Deka, and Gokusen are great. Galism and Pika Ichi aren't really good but they're both off the wall in entertaining ways.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Gnossiennes posted:

Read Junjou Drop per the recommendation earlier, and it was great. :sparkles: I've also watched LoveCom and am following Please Love Delicious Meat, so I already knew I'd like Nakahara Aya's work at least.

Now working through the rest of her work :allears: Finished Ringo Nikki, Junjou Drop, and Himitsu Kichi; currently working on Nanaco Robin and Hanada. Himitsu Kichi was worth it for the 2nd and 4th one shots, but the first is kinda creeper-y.

In the style of Junjou Drop, what other shoujo/romance would you recommend with a delinquent/perceived delinquent?

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/akuma-ga-kitarite-r7325
toradora too but its not really shoujo
midori days if you're okay with manga for dudes and some fanservice (plus a weird premise)

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Hi thread. I read Octave recently and really liked it, and while looking for stuff to move on to I found this thread and discovered Wandering Son. Holy jeez. This is really impressive stuff. I don't really have anything to add other than thanks for the discussion early on in this thread.

Chinaman7000 fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 12, 2014

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

It looks like someone's finally finishing up Can't See Can't Hear But Love and will be putting up the final chapter in the next day or so. It's Korean->Chinese->English translation but it seems fine.

Warning for those who click out of curiosity: you WILL get teary-eyed reading this.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Gyre posted:

It looks like someone's finally finishing up Can't See Can't Hear But Love and will be putting up the final chapter in the next day or so. It's Korean->Chinese->English translation but it seems fine.

Warning for those who click out of curiosity: you WILL get teary-eyed reading this.

AUGH I DIDN'T LISTEN WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

AUGH I DIDN'T LISTEN WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN

I made it harder on myself by deciding to pick a song to listen to to go with Sori's piano playing. She wouldn't be playing a sad song for Geun-soo, so I went full irony and I chose Debussy's "L'Isle Joyeuse", which he wrote when he went to the Isle of Jersey with his lover.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

a kitten posted:

Oh hey if anyone else likes seeing manga from before '89 (mostly anyway) check out this tumblr
http://fehyesvintagemanga.tumblr.com/

Lots and lots of shoujo in there.
Lots of insane eye sparkles.

Occasional Rick and Lisa Hikaru and Misa

Actually, speaking of old school manga, is there any old timey shoujo stuff widely available on the internet? I've already read Rose of Versailles and the rest of Ikeda Riyoko's stuff but I have no idea where to find more of similar-style manga. I've read Sukeban Deka as well.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

There's Shiroi Heya no Futari (Our White Room), which is basically the first (or at least one of the first) yuri romances from 1971.

http://dynasty-scans.com/series/shiroi_heya_no_futari
It's good and super melodramatic.

As for widely available? Unfortunately I don't know if there is, nor where to find a good repository of it if it even exists.

Here's another vintage manga tumblr tho!
http://shojo-manga-no-memory.tumblr.com/

More random pretty pictures, but alas, no actual scanlations.

coathat
May 21, 2007

There's a bunch. First thing is go buy the big hardcover Moto Haigo collections Heart of Thomas and A Drunken Dream. http://www.amazon.com/Heart-Thomas-Moto-Hagio/dp/1606995510
http://www.amazon.com/A-Drunken-Dream-Other-Stories/dp/1606993771/ref=pd_sim_b_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0NSV59MG54FFERX6HJNE

Banana Bread pudding is a favorite of mine. Its maybe the most bizarre manga ever. http://www.mangahere.co/manga/banana_bread_no_pudding/
Now that Ira's older sister is getting married, who will take her to the bathroom after 10 p.m. and sing "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" outside the bathroom door in order to protect her from the beautiful, androgynous, child-eating clown? Will marrying a closeted gay man help?

Takemyia Keiko is another big name you should look up.

Here's some other stuff.
http://bato.to/comic/_/alfheim-no-kishi-r4547
http://bato.to/comic/_/wata-no-kunihoshi-r7034
http://bato.to/comic/_/suna-no-shiro-r2216
http://bato.to/comic/_/maya-no-souretsu-r2940

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
There's Oniisama E. It's melodramatic as all hell, but so good. :allears:

E: Whoops, you read that one already. :saddowns: Oh well, there's always Glass Mask.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Gyre posted:

I made it harder on myself by deciding to pick a song to listen to to go with Sori's piano playing. She wouldn't be playing a sad song for Geun-soo, so I went full irony and I chose Debussy's "L'Isle Joyeuse", which he wrote when he went to the Isle of Jersey with his lover.

Thank you for recommending that :( I'm still teary but the ending was sweet.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

Actually, speaking of old school manga, is there any old timey shoujo stuff widely available on the internet? I've already read Rose of Versailles and the rest of Ikeda Riyoko's stuff but I have no idea where to find more of similar-style manga. I've read Sukeban Deka as well.

It's not necessarily romantic, but I really enjoy Doubutsu no Oisha-san. The series is about an aspiring veteran and his friends going through school, and it's super relaxing to read. Chobi is the cutest husky :3:

Google says it was published in Hana to Yume around 1988, so yeah. Technically shoujo!

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

Gyre posted:

I already posted it in the Korean Manhwa thread, but the Daum version has a BGM already for it. Here it is.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

a kitten posted:

There's Shiroi Heya no Futari (Our White Room), which is basically the first (or at least one of the first) yuri romances from 1971.

http://dynasty-scans.com/series/shiroi_heya_no_futari
It's good and super melodramatic.
I should have listened to the description. :cry:

But I just can't make myself like that artstyle.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

'Everything ends in tragedy' was basically how stuff involving gay characters ended during that time period, it wasn't until the 80's that you started getting more upbeat depictions.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Sakurazuka posted:

'Everything ends in tragedy' was basically how stuff involving gay characters ended during that time period, it wasn't until the 80's that you started getting more upbeat depictions.

And that wasn't limited to Japan. See: Brokeback Mountain, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, etc

coathat
May 21, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

That's because you were reading tragic dramas. There were several light hearted gay comedies like From Eroica with Love and Patalliro.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

jackofarcades posted:

And that wasn't limited to Japan. See: Brokeback Mountain, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, etc

Yeah, it's probably even more prevalent in western stuff, though I want to say that Buffy is a special case since there's like zero happy relationships in Joss Whedon stuff. Still, you could say the same thing about Ang Lee films.

coathat posted:

That's because you were reading tragic dramas. There were several light hearted gay comedies like From Eroica with Love and Patalliro.

Also. there's always something that proves me wrong. :v:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Nondevor posted:

It's not necessarily romantic, but I really enjoy Doubutsu no Oisha-san. The series is about an aspiring veteran and his friends going through school, and it's super relaxing to read. Chobi is the cutest husky :3:

Google says it was published in Hana to Yume around 1988, so yeah. Technically shoujo!

Thanks, I love mangas with pets :3:

IIRC the manga-ka of RoV did other series too if you like her stories. I haven't read them but I think there are scanlations online but vintage manga is less common too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Alder posted:

IIRC the manga-ka of RoV did other series too if you like her stories. I haven't read them but I think there are scanlations online but vintage manga is less common too.

Oniisama e has already been mentioned, but Claudine is really good, as long as you like super depressing stuff. No link because I'm on my phone but Dynasty Scans has it up on there.