Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Xtanstic posted:

Does anyone have a screencap?

-Freedonia (Marx Brothers)
-Sylvania (also Marx Brothers)
-San Marcos ( civil-war torn Central American country in an episode of MacGyver, in the 1971 motion picture Bananas, as well as a 2014 episode of Archer')
-Kazia (a real place in the DC universe)
-Elbonia
-Bangalla (the Phantom)
-Florin (Princess Bride)
-Kahndaq (DC universe)

CeeJee fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Dec 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Kahndaq is the country Black Adam is from.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
And some completely fictional place called "Vancouver".

E: Is Starling City just Detroit?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Starling City confirmed to be in the great lakes.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

CeeJee posted:

-Freedonia (Marx Brothers)
-Sylvania (also Marx Brothers)
-San Marcos ( civil-war torn Central American country in an episode of MacGyver, in the 1971 motion picture Bananas, as well as a 2014 episode of Archer')
-Kazia (a real place in the DC universe)
-Elbonia
-Bangalla (the Phantom)
-Florin (Princess Bride)
-Kahndaq (DC universe)

Neat thanks. Starling City is Chicago? Toronto? Where's Central City? :argh: I always thought Starling City was a West Coast city in the vicinity of Seattle or Portland for some reason... like say Vancouver.

(I don't know much about DC comics... I'm told they move around a lot or is that just Metropolis?)

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
That was a hell of a boat trip. Down to Panama to the Pacific then cross over to China. At least it makes Central City being in Minnesota more likely

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bad Moon posted:

That was a hell of a boat trip. Down to Panama to the Pacific then cross over to China. At least it makes Central City being in Minnesota more likely

Missouri man. The Special Forces Task force are a dead giveaway

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Rocksicles posted:

Missouri man. The Special Forces Task force are a dead giveaway

The Plastique episode gave people the impression that it's by a great lake.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah I know, but it's always been Missouri in the comics. I'm down for a Springfield style wherever the gently caress.

Central and Keystone are usually within a short jog of St Louis

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Dec 11, 2014

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Xtanstic posted:

Neat thanks. Starling City is Chicago? Toronto? Where's Central City? :argh: I always thought Starling City was a West Coast city in the vicinity of Seattle or Portland for some reason... like say Vancouver.

(I don't know much about DC comics... I'm told they move around a lot or is that just Metropolis?)

All the cities are way off from their actual locations. New York is in West Virginia, Washington is in North Carolina, Vancouver is in the US and Corto Maltese is actually the Falklands. Detroit, St Louis, or Pittsburgh are all decent guesses (or God forbid Cleveland, though with the terrible PD it does seem likely) for Starling just going off that map.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Rocksicles posted:

Define plot device, his rear end is getting dropped in a Lazarus Pit. You can mark that down as a sure goddamn thing.

Something that has defined limits and an explanation. I don't mind a thinly veiled excuse like, "Yo Ollie, I waited underneath the cliff with a bag of your magic herbs like you asked", but if they're doing straight up Lazarus Pits, I want them explored and made part of the world (like other people probably want access to them or something).

Game of Thrones has resurrection, but it has a cost and implies stuff about the setting/lore and provides some drive to the story more than just "I want this character to not be dead".

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I know what a plot device is just not sure what you meant. But yeah i get that.

Lazarus Pits are as DC as Batman. They will explain it and why Ra's hasn't had a good duel in 67 years. Have no fear.

But they are a mystery, Only the League really know anything about them. Wouldn't mind seeing Ollie come back a bit more PTSD.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

VDay posted:

I just watched the episode and my immediate thought was "Holy poo poo he just Spartacused him!"

Also,

:stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare:

Every once in a while when I'm watching Arrow, I wonder what kind of Spartacus Amell would've made.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

Xealot posted:

Alternately, Ollie takes on Ra's and Ra's guts him like a fish. Ollie dies, and Nyssa feels regret that neither she nor Ollie could avenge Sara's murder. Felicity cries.

Arrow will return in January in an episode titled, "Lazarus."

Come right this way to collect your prize, sir

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

It seemed like Barrowman went to an awful lot of trouble to set up a fight Ras would obviously win. I'm hoping there is more to the plan :argh:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

edit: beaten ^^^^

Malcolm's stated motivation for blackmailing Ollie to turn himself over to Ra's didn't make sense. Malcolm must know that there's no way in hell an archer like Ollie could beat Ra's in a sword duel and wipe off Malcolm's life debt. So Malcolm either wanted Ollie removed from the picture (which also doesn't make sense since he can do it himself) or he has something else planned.

I'm also in the minority camp of "I hope they don't do Lazarus Pits." It just seems incredibly silly and cheap as a plot device, although admittedly the most likely given the lore. Either way though, I'm looking forward to seeing how the other characters cope with Ollie's death for a few episodes.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

yronic heroism posted:

It seemed like Barrowman went to an awful lot of trouble to set up a fight Ras would obviously win. I'm hoping there is more to the plan :argh:

The only reasonable explanation to me is that he thought Oliver could win. I have no idea why he would make some convoluted plan to get rid of The Arrow if it doesn't actually help him get the league off of his back. Unless he has some sort of crazy sinister plan that he believes Oliver would stop but still having the league of assassin's trying to kill him wouldn't prevent.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Crunk Abortion posted:

Come right this way to collect your prize, sir

:smuggo:

Xealot posted:

I like the theory that Thea did it. Someone Sara would both trust and be surprised to see...

:smuggo:

I'm totally wrong on the Nyssa part, I guess. And I definitely started to think Ra's killed Sara as the season went on. That wily Malcolm Merlyn with his mind control drugs.

I wonder if it'll be Nyssa or Katana-husband-guy who throws Ollie in the Lazarus pit. I imagine the latter owes him something from HK, but Ollie clearly didn't actually kill Sara and Nyssa can't get answers from a corpse.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I did not expect that they could make "Malcom Merlyn did it. Again." a plot twist I wouldn't see coming, but there ya go. Can't believe I fell for the old "I didn't kill Sarah" trick.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

To everyone complaining about the "mind-control" drugs: I think you're thinking about it too literally. It's not mind-control, Barrowman said it just makes people very suggestible. Think of it like super-mushrooms or something, he just got Thea high out of her mind and said "hey sweetie, wouldn't it be fun to shoot arrows into this woman?"

If anyone's read the Hannibal books (and I think it was on the show as well), they do a scene where Hannibal uses some sort of similar drug on one of his victims and talks the guy into cutting off and eating his own nose and lips.

It takes a LITTLE suspension-of-disbelief, but I didn't think it was as horrible of a bad plot device as you guys seem to think.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Bruceski posted:

I did not expect that they could make "Malcom Merlyn did it. Again." a plot twist I wouldn't see coming, but there ya go. Can't believe I fell for the old "I didn't kill Sarah" trick.

Well, he was technically not lying.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
I am glad that Nyssa had a good looking new costume that did not appear to be made out of plastic. However, I am very upset about the dopey map of North America, that's not where Starling City should be located. :colbert:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Proposition Joe posted:

However, I am very upset about the dopey map of North America, that's not where Starling City should be located. :colbert:

I've always thought of Starling City as Detroit.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Star city, Coast City and San Francisco are in that order Star City is somewhewre closer to the Oregon boarder.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think people are jumping in the Lazarus Pit a little too early. Sure Oliver was stabbed and thrown off a cliff but there's nothing to say that he isn't just grievously wounded and will have a lot of downtime in healing instead of him being literally dead and needing to be brought back to life.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah, I hope he is not brought back by Lazarus pit.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

greatn posted:

Yeah, I hope he is not brought back by Lazarus pit.

Cyborg Arrow?

Honestly, I would find Ollie miraculously surviving being stabbed twice, once through the heart/lungs and thrown from a mountain into the cold worse.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Phenotype posted:

To everyone complaining about the "mind-control" drugs: I think you're thinking about it too literally. It's not mind-control, Barrowman said it just makes people very suggestible. Think of it like super-mushrooms or something, he just got Thea high out of her mind and said "hey sweetie, wouldn't it be fun to shoot arrows into this woman?"

If anyone's read the Hannibal books (and I think it was on the show as well), they do a scene where Hannibal uses some sort of similar drug on one of his victims and talks the guy into cutting off and eating his own nose and lips.

It takes a LITTLE suspension-of-disbelief, but I didn't think it was as horrible of a bad plot device as you guys seem to think.

I don't think anyone is really complaining about the idea of mind control drugs. I just don't like it because they're using it to remove agency from Thea.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

e X posted:

Cyborg Arrow?

Honestly, I would find Ollie miraculously surviving being stabbed twice, once through the heart/lungs and thrown from a mountain into the cold worse.

Use something previously established, like Mirakuru. Then when Ollie can't control it there's only one man who can take him down. The FLASH Slade Wilson

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005
If we choose, we can live in a world of comforting illusion.
I hope they keep Ollie out of the picture for a while after the break, and give a chance for the Atom exosuit guy to try and take his place as protector of the city. Then when he's up against some big bad he can't handle and appears about to lose, Ollie can make his triumphant return.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Having Thea be the killer was the most interesting choice, but I can accept the mind-control drugs more than Malcolm being able to corrupt Thea to the point where she would willingly kill Sarah and convincingly lie about it in such a short period of time. This also leave the window open for Thea remembering what she did later in the season just like Roy's memory of stabbing the cop.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Pinwiz11 posted:

Having Thea be the killer was the most interesting choice, but I can accept the mind-control drugs more than Malcolm being able to corrupt Thea to the point where she would willingly kill Sarah and convincingly lie about it in such a short period of time. This also leave the window open for Thea remembering what she did later in the season just like Roy's memory of stabbing the cop.

I think it's also interesting with Thea already having so many issues with trusting people and people lying to her. Finding out will definitely lead to some crazy poo poo.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I just hope someone explains to her what the hell is going on. I get not telling her he's going to duel to the death for her sake, but he lives with her, so surely she'll notice he's gone and start asking around.
That's gonna be one long awkward conversation.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Elbonia ...where they mass produce those 'I Can't Breathe' t-shirts.

I'm gonna go w/ a Tatsu rescue, who helps him cling to life long enough to get him to a Lazarus Pit.

Flashback Oliver will dominate 60% of the episodes.

A frustrated or grief stricken John/Felicity will spill the beans to Thea about Oliver's secret and his sacrifice, enraging Malcolm.

One last wish for 2015: I've grown bored with the Ray Palmer story so I wouldn't mind if Firestorm makes an appearance in Arrow, regardless of however brief.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

The show runs in (almost) real time, so Ollie will probably be out of action for at least a month (during this break). Hoping Ollie actually died, gets put in a lazarus pit and goes insane. Have ATOM working with team Arrow to stop insane Arrow. That would be fun to see I think.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Malcolm using the herbs isn't walking back on anything. They revealed she did it at the same time.

In show, the only evidence that supported Thea as the killer came from this very same episode. Even before tonight the height thing had been treated as if it was abnormal, not just arrows fired by someone who's 5'4. Hell Roy's only 5'7 apparently, and Thea probably had heels on.

You know what would be completely out of place and unsupported by anything the show has done before? Thea doing it herself.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I thought Merlyn's plan was glorious comic book evil, really, and it makes perfect sense as long as you discount him having any affection at all for his daughter (which is probably safe).

He gets rid of Sara (who hates his rear end and is theoretically a danger) and has something (the video) to control Thea with forever. And then, because he knows Oliver will never let anything happen to Thea, he can either get Ollie to kill R'as (best case scenario) or, if that doesn't work, gets his revenge on Oliver anyway.

Thea being manipulated (both with drugs and otherwise) makes way more sense based on everything we've seen so far than her just suddenly being a killer, and especially being willing to kill Sara, who she actually knew. Having Thea just suddenly cackle madly and announce that it was her all along would have been a way cheaper reveal than her being manipulated by Merlyn, which is very much his metier.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
This show.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Aphrodite posted:

Malcolm using the herbs isn't walking back on anything. They revealed she did it at the same time.

In show, the only evidence that supported Thea as the killer came from this very same episode. Even before tonight the height thing had been treated as if it was abnormal, not just arrows fired by someone who's 5'4. Hell Roy's only 5'7 apparently, and Thea probably had heels on.

You know what would be completely out of place and unsupported by anything the show has done before? Thea doing it herself.

I'm not saying that Thea should have done it herself, but being manipulated by Merlyn is different than flat out being drugged.

Thea's been through a lot of horrifying poo poo, and the fact she was willing to run away with her mass murdering father proves she isn't exactly in the right state of mind.
Imagine that Malcolm ruined Thea's one remaining relationship, that with her brother, by telling her that he was a liar(!) and a killer, who cost her a nightclub, boyfriend, and a mother. Reinforce that through five months of intensive training, while also building up the father-daughter relationship. Then give her the opportunity to lash out at her brother by killing his girlfriend.
For a television show, which naturally has to operate on a compressed timeline, I really don't think it's that ridiculous.

e: Yes, I realize I'm basically writing fanfiction at this point.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I'm assuming that Merlyn was drugging Thea subtly during her training; breaking down her psyche and making her more susceptible to questionable commands (like killing Sara).

Something I'm surprised no one has really commented on is the scene with Laurel and her mother where they basically swear to avenge Sara's death. That's certainly going to put her at odds with Thea... and probably team Arrow as well.

• Locked thread