Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

victorious posted:

I've just been thinking, if I hadn't been reading this thread since the start of the first season, I would have no idea of the significance of the names 'Cal' or 'Daisy', I still wouldn't have heard of 'Inhumans' (aside from the movie title) or 'Terrigen', and I definitely wouldn't have a clue that there was more than one way to interpret the dog-shooting scene.

I don't know if it's better one way or the other, just saying that to a casual watcher the show could be a very different experience.

I kind of assume it's better for people who don't know because for them it's an ongoing mystery plot whereas for the rest of us it became pretty obvious where they were going, to the point where a lot of people wrote off Daisy and Hyde as a red herring because it seemed too obvious.

Also, if any character is going to make a movie cameo, it should be the Koenigs. They feel like the pre-death version of Coulson in a lot of ways, and I could totally see one of them meshing with the Avengers as a SHIELD go-between. Especially since the lack of character work for the obvious robots/duplicates/whatevers in the show means that there wouldn't be any obligation to shoe-horn poo poo in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

victorious posted:

I've just been thinking, if I hadn't been reading this thread since the start of the first season, I would have no idea of the significance of the names 'Cal' or 'Daisy', I still wouldn't have heard of 'Inhumans' (aside from the movie title) or 'Terrigen', and I definitely wouldn't have a clue that there was more than one way to interpret the dog-shooting scene.

I don't know if it's better one way or the other, just saying that to a casual watcher the show could be a very different experience.

See, I'm new to this thread, and I don't who the hell Cal or Daisy are. It feels like you have to have encyclopedia knowledge of Marvel lore to parse what's going on and why this is such a big deal.

What's this about reinterpreting the dog scene?

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

howe_sam posted:

He's out there somewhere in the LA Underground. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire Deathlok.

I don't particularly want the show to revisit his story arc, but it could be neat to see him pop up again in a season finale, after Coulson says something about "calling in a few favors" and then suddenly after a commercial break cliffhanger he's there to save Fitzsimmons' bacon or something.

He could also show up in one of the Netflix shows, that might be neat.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Deathlok was pretty boring, though.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Himuro posted:

See, I'm new to this thread, and I don't who the hell Cal or Daisy are. It feels like you have to have encyclopedia knowledge of Marvel lore to parse what's going on and why this is such a big deal.

Is it though?

If you know the Marvel universe it's just "Oh, that's how they're doing Mr. Hyde and Quake", whereas if you don't, your understanding of Skye is more complex. You can see how she's shed her Rising Tide ideals after seeing how out of their depth they are, being betrayed by a fellow member, and seeing the more relateable side of SHIELD. You can see her growing tougher and more calloused, especially when it comes to her relationship with ward. And then you can see her getting super powers out of nowhere with mysterious hints to a backstory to be revealed. It's about character development and poo poo.

It's a big deal because this character you've watched and connected with has turned into something else entirely and a lot of what you know about her is going to change.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Blazing Ownager posted:

It'd be hilarious if Raina gets the shittiest power in the universe after her mission to unlock it. "You win.. bones that poke through your skin like a porcupine!"

I always though Medusa's super powered hair was really stupid. I can't say I read a lot of the inhumans so maybe some writers made it work but it always seemed pretty lame to me.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I didn't know who Mr. Hyde or Quake were until I looked them up after this episode aired. Within the context of the show I could still perfectly understand everything that was going on without knowing anything about the characters from the comics they're referencing.

Admittedly this thread's information about the Inhumans has been a bit useful to contextualize what's happening and where this season is going, but I still wouldn't consider it necessary. If I weren't reading about it here I'd not know the word Inhuman but I'd still know that the Kree set up some kind of weird thing to give certain humans super powers.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I wonder if people will call Skye Daisy now that everyone learned that's her real name.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Republican Vampire posted:

Is it though?

If you know the Marvel universe it's just "Oh, that's how they're doing Mr. Hyde and Quake", whereas if you don't, your understanding of Skye is more complex. You can see how she's shed her Rising Tide ideals after seeing how out of their depth they are, being betrayed by a fellow member, and seeing the more relateable side of SHIELD. You can see her growing tougher and more calloused, especially when it comes to her relationship with ward. And then you can see her getting super powers out of nowhere with mysterious hints to a backstory to be revealed. It's about character development and poo poo.

It's a big deal because this character you've watched and connected with has turned into something else entirely and a lot of what you know about her is going to change.

Good point.

I'm glad the mystery of her past is solved, but I didn't find it terribly revealing. It probably would have resonated with me if we weren't being told she was an 048 and how "special" she was at the outset. I could have predicted she had powers in season 1, so her having powers doesn't really come off as a shock or anything cool to me at all, so the only truly revealing information going for it are her name, powers, and father, which again, is fan service fluff. Which, to the casual viewer, isn't a big deal.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

enraged_camel posted:

I wonder if people will call Skye Daisy now that everyone learned that's her real name.

"THAT'S NOT MY NAME"

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Himuro posted:

Good point.

I'm glad the mystery of her past is solved, but I didn't find it terribly revealing. It probably would have resonated with me if we weren't being told she was an 048 and how "special" she was at the outset. I could have predicted she had powers in season 1, so her having powers doesn't really come off as a shock or anything cool to me at all, so the only truly revealing information going for it are her name, powers, and father, which again, is fan service fluff. Which, to the casual viewer, isn't a big deal.

The remaining mystery is more about the city, the kree, the inhumans, etc... how all that squashes together-- I think a lot of that hasn't been as well set up as it should have because so much of the setup was actually in season one. Blowing up the Kree specimen and terminating that plotline so that it didn't get in the way of the HYDRA plot was probably a huge mis-step in the long term even if it did drastically improve the first season.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Republican Vampire posted:

The remaining mystery is more about the city, the kree, the inhumans, etc... how all that squashes together-- I think a lot of that hasn't been as well set up as it should have because so much of the setup was actually in season one. Blowing up the Kree specimen and terminating that plotline so that it didn't get in the way of the HYDRA plot was probably a huge mis-step in the long term even if it did drastically improve the first season.

It still feels like the way a lot of the information is in the favor of fan service. Like, if you're a hardcore fan who knows what all this means, you can guess and make conclusions towards where they're going to go. But if you're a casual fan, they're just names and words that aren't brought in regards to terrible significance. A good example is the kree. I saw Guardians of the Galaxy and I barely remembered who they were, and I had to google. I prefer Arrow's method: introduce the basics, don't get to convoluted in lore, take your time. Like, you're mentioning the Inhumans, and I have no idea what that is beyond a movie title, but for some reason, as a casual viewer, it's supposed to stir my mind.

And that's the problem with season 2's plot-based focus. Comic books and plot equates to batshit insanity, and this is starting to mirror exactly what I hate about American comics to begin with: take one series and all of a sudden you have to watch/read all of them to get what the gently caress is going on or understand every reference.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Episode was great, can't wait until March!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

WarLocke posted:

Himuro isn't the poster this thread deserves, but he(?) is the poster it needs right now. :spergin:

Also, is it just me or did the show just kind of drop Deathlok completely? Did they ever tie up his plot and I just missed/don't remember it?

He'll come back after they unfuck his costume.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I watched this show with someone that knew very little about the Marvel Universe beyond the adaptations and he loved this episode so I don't think Himuro's right on this one.

Also I binge-watched Season 1 of the show, and while I liked it way more than most people seem to have, I still think Season 2 is a big step up.

Sometimes people just have different opinions.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

I wonder what the hell the Kree were thinking when they designed their Inhuman research lab or whatever that "city" was supposed to be. Funny that the dead Kree who was the source of the resurrection formula apparently loved that featureless stone dungeon so much he got it tattooed in his DNA or something. Like, even if they packed up absolutely everything before they left, the temple was still designed like something out of an Indiana Jones movie. Such a bizarre aesthetic for a spacefaring race.

And yes, I realize the real answer is "budget."

edit: Just want to point out that I liked the episode and the show in general. Just like to complain about nitpicky stuff sometimes.

Mylan fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Dec 11, 2014

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Sharmat posted:

I watched this show with someone that knew very little about the Marvel Universe beyond the adaptations and he loved this episode so I don't think Himuro's right on this one.

Also I binge-watched Season 1 of the show, and while I liked it way more than most people seem to have, I still think Season 2 is a big step up.

Sometimes people just have different opinions.

A friend of mine is in the dark about as much as you can be in the dark with this show... she loved it, picked Skye as causing the quake with super powers without a second thought.

But common sense isn't common.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Mylan posted:

I wonder what the hell the Kree were thinking when they designed their Inhuman research lab or whatever that "city" was supposed to be. Funny that the dead Kree who was the source of the resurrection formula apparently loved that featureless stone dungeon so much he got it tattooed in his DNA or something. Like, even if they packed up absolutely everything before they left, the temple was still designed like something out of an Indiana Jones movie. Such a bizarre aesthetic for a spacefaring race.

And yes, I realize the real answer is "budget."

That Kree just had a very limited amount of time to assemble the statue at the Shrine of the Silver Monkey and that urgency got written into his DNA.

Incidentally does anyone else have a pet peeve of aliens always using DNA for their genetic code or is that just a biologist thing? There's other things you could use to do the same job.

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star
I seriously dig Marvel Studio's output and have followed this show since it first aired, but I don't think I've ever read a comic that's even remotely related to any of this stuff.

The show works fine if you don't have the background. Reveals that work for comic fans work just fine as normal dialogue (for example: Muadad calling Skye Daisy was a nice moment regardless of comicy origins - she learns her 'real' name for the first time. That's a cool human moment for someone who basically grew up as an orphan).

I enjoy reading this thread back after I've seen the episode to see how it all ties into the comic background but it's thoroughly unnecessary to enjoy the show.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Rocksicles posted:

A friend of mine is in the dark about as much as you can be in the dark with this show... she loved it, picked Skye as causing the quake with super powers without a second thought.

But common sense isn't common.

I never said that it wasn't Skye making the quake. That was...pretty obvious.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

The Sharmat posted:

That Kree just had a very limited amount of time to assemble the statue at the Shrine of the Silver Monkey and that urgency got written into his DNA.

Incidentally does anyone else have a pet peeve of aliens always using DNA for their genetic code or is that just a biologist thing? There's other things you could use to do the same job.

Eh, its good shorthand for a viewing audience who can only be assumed to have an average of "middle school science class" in regards to what science-y terms they'll understand.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
At least there was that episode in season 1 where there was a "virus" that propagated via electromagnetism.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

victorious posted:

Yeah it's why I have such a love/hate relationship with this thread and the MCU writ large. I love that I can tease out more information from the source material and things in the MCU are changed just enough that I'm oddly not as uptight about spoilers than if it were a different show. On the other hand... the goddamn dog and Mayward arguments. :negative:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
After seeing what happened at the ruined City, Ward will reunite with Buddy and expose the dog to Terrigen mist, creating Lockjaw. Calling it now.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Himuro posted:

I never said that it wasn't Skye making the quake. That was...pretty obvious.

I referring to dumb watchers in general not you, I didn't read your post

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Xtanstic posted:

On the other hand... the goddamn dog and Mayward arguments. :negative:

Just wait until Ward gets it on with Agent 33. Put a paper bag over her head and it's just like old times!

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
He'll just get the mask reprogrammed so she looks like Skye/Daisy.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The Sharmat posted:

He'll just get the mask reprogrammed so she looks like Skye/Daisy.

I think the mask is damaged, can't be reprogrammed and is permanently stuck to her face.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

enraged_camel posted:

I think the mask is damaged, can't be reprogrammed and is permanently stuck to her face.

What if they put a second mask on her?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

Just wait until Ward gets it on with Agent 33. Put a paper bag over her head and it's just like old times!

I'm already shipping it. :colbert:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Azhais posted:

What if they put a second mask on her?

How many of those do they have?

Because now I'm just waiting for Ward to show up with an entire strike team of Skyes.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xtanstic posted:

I'm already shipping it. :colbert:

What's it like to have mental problems? and What is your tumblr?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Hey now. These shows invite this sort of thing let me indulge in it okay? It makes things like Skye shooting Ward so much sweeter. :black101:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think the concept of shipping as a actual hobby, to be loving hilarious. Plenty of people do it, I actually looked up Stalins height for a thing i'm working on and found a website where people argue about celebrity heights. The internet is a weird place.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
... Do I dare ask what the hell shipping is?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anyone who uses the word Ollicity as a sentence that isn't a joke.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Cat Terrist posted:

It's this ridiculous thing that started on tumblr a while back. People draw characters holding other characters like Jack and Rose on Titanic. It got to a point where anybody presenting any character pairing on a boat or on some type of aquatic vehicle or dressed like Titanic characters were shipped. It is immensely stupid and you're better off not diving too deeply into it.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Cat Terrist posted:

It's derived from relationSHIP. It's a phenomenon that as far as I know originates in the early days of mass internet use in the 90's and refers to people rooting for two characters to get together romantically whether or not they actually show any inclination towards each other at all.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
They are basically Stalkers.

There is an hilarious true story where the Actor Jared Padalecki from Supernatural was at comic con and some crazy rear end shippers tried to have his wife thrown out, because they had a thing in the show at one time and they didn't like her.

Those dudes have some crazy loving shippers. I bet the reason it's gone for 10 seasons is they are too scared to cancel it.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Dec 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
E:double

• Locked thread