Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:

Loopyface posted:

If you sign up on the 17th, you get billed the 17th of every month.

I know, but what I mean is if you sign up on the 31st? What about February?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Kings Of Calabria posted:

How do rolling, monthly subscriptions work when you sign up in the last few days of the month? Like if I sign up for Netflix on the 31st of some month, and then the next month only has 30 days, do they just charge you on the 30th? Or "behind the scenes" is there some way that years get broken up into equal but roughly "monthly" chunks and then bill according to those?

You're overthinking this. The system bills you on the last day of the month, regardless of what the number is.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

There's a particular tune, only a couple of bars long, that's sometimes put at the end of a song that isn't meant to be taken too seriously. No, not "Shave and a Haircut, Two Bits" but the other one that's used in exactly the same way.

Among many many other places, it's at the end of all of Weird Al's polka medleys. (Skip to 3:56 if the time formatting doesn't take):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sr48PsVbS0&t=3m56s

And now you're all saying "Oh yeah, THAT thing." So what's it called, and where the hell did it originally come from?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

There's a particular tune, only a couple of bars long, that's sometimes put at the end of a song that isn't meant to be taken too seriously. No, not "Shave and a Haircut, Two Bits" but the other one that's used in exactly the same way.

Among many many other places, it's at the end of all of Weird Al's polka medleys. (Skip to 3:56 if the time formatting doesn't take):

And now you're all saying "Oh yeah, THAT thing." So what's it called, and where the hell did it originally come from?

I don't know what specific song it originated in, or if it can even be traced to a specific one - I might be wrong but I thought it was just a really common cheesy ending to a lot of vaudeville tunes, and as that style of music eventually came to be seen as ridiculous that little phrase just became a sort of parody of the idea of wrapping up a song like that, and is now used as a generic ending in all kinds of "comedy music"

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Powered Descent posted:

The other one in this group is "Good evening, friends," which is from a 1920s Al Jolson song of the same title (if people sing, "And many more" as a coda to "Happy Birthday," they're using the "Good Evening, Friends" tune).

This one is probably an actual song from the 1920s or earlier, but I can't place it and the Google is not cooperating with my brain.

Most of the "tag endings" people use in pop and jazz start as part of a song. If I had a dollar for every song people jam the ending of "Take the A-Train" on to, for instance...

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Powered Descent posted:

Don't know if that one in particular has a name but that sort of tune is referred to as a "sting"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sting_%28musical_phrase%29

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

hooah posted:

Depending on what your threshold for good audio quality is, you could get a Bluetooth receiver and the appropriate adapters to connect it to your amp (assuming your laptop does Bluetooth).

That's basically what I thought, but I couldn't find anything. Maybe I just suck at looking, but I only found one sketchy-looking product.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
I volunteered to do some light and magnetism demonstrations for a bunch of 4-year-olds. From my school days, I remember things like prism experiments showing the separation of the visible spectrum, iron filings to show magnetic field lines, etc. I've already called and emailed the local middle school to see if I can just borrow something, but if I have to source something myself sort of quickly (within a week), are there good, cheap, reputable suppliers for stuff like this? I guess at a minimum I could do a prism and iron filings, but I'd also be willing to buy some kits for the school (i.e. lightbox with slit opening for the prism, some sort of sealed acrylic thing with iron filings) so they could keep them.

Where do you buy your :nerdsupplies:?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Do you have a local university with a physics department? They'll have a titch more funding than your typical middle school, and probably have a demo room full of things like that. Not just the prism and magnet/filings demo, but others you might not have thought about.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

uwaeve posted:

I volunteered to do some light and magnetism demonstrations for a bunch of 4-year-olds. From my school days, I remember things like prism experiments showing the separation of the visible spectrum, iron filings to show magnetic field lines, etc. I've already called and emailed the local middle school to see if I can just borrow something, but if I have to source something myself sort of quickly (within a week), are there good, cheap, reputable suppliers for stuff like this? I guess at a minimum I could do a prism and iron filings, but I'd also be willing to buy some kits for the school (i.e. lightbox with slit opening for the prism, some sort of sealed acrylic thing with iron filings) so they could keep them.

It's a little short notice, but American Science and Surplus has all sorts of crap like that for cheap. http://www.sciplus.com/

They do have physical stores if you are going to be in the Milwaukee-Chicago area. If you have a chance to go in and look around it's kind of neat to see what they have.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I've been playing a lot of Letter Quest, which is basically a Boggle RPG.

Two part question:

1) What are some words with a J in them that don't start with J?

2) How would even begin to google something like question 1, for future word-power training?

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 11, 2014

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Everblight posted:

Two part question:

2) How would even begin to google something like question 1, for future word-power training?

http://www.scrabblefinder.com/contains/j/

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Everblight posted:

Two part question:

Adjustment, Injury, Injustice, Prejudice, Misjudgement... most of the ones I can think of have the J as the first letter of a root which is contained in the larger word. They never seem to be used as endings, which is almost always "-ge" or "-dge" to get the same sound

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Everblight posted:

Two part question:

I typed words with J and got this from my phones browser suggestion. I have never searched anything related to scrabble, ever.

http://www.scrabblefinder.com/letter-j-words/

Edit /\ gently caress that guy...

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

uwaeve posted:

I buy mine from http://www.unitednuclear.com

It's run by a crazy guy but I've never had any issues with anything I've gotten from there.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Everblight posted:

Two part question:

Natural language search queries work just fine on Google. Searching for the phrase "What are some words with a J in them that don't start with J?" gets you several sites with exactly what you're asking.

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
I posted a thread which I can't find via search (probably in archives) about backup software, and someone recommended a product that seemed to basically enhance wbadmin, but use VSS rather than wbadmin itself. It had a really clean interface, but I can't remember it.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

When someone says 'balsamic' are they usually referring to the vinegar or the vinaigrette?

The context is salad.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Abel Wingnut posted:

When someone says 'balsamic' are they usually referring to the vinegar or the vinaigrette?

The context is salad.

When referring to a non-caprese salad it most likely results in vinaigrette.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Why is Arizona (iced tea and juice) so cheap? I just bought some of the watermelon juice that Trayvon Martin bought before his death, and it was only 99 cents even though it actually has all kinds of real juice in it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jewel Repetition posted:

Why is Arizona (iced tea and juice) so cheap? I just bought some of the watermelon juice that Trayvon Martin bought before his death, and it was only 99 cents even though it actually has all kinds of real juice in it.

Juice is cheap as heck. It's just that simple.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Can someone please tell me what this thing is? I found it in a thrift store, it's wooden, painted green with pheasants and butterflies on it and opens up. It's about the size of a bagel :confused:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's a Japanese bagel keeper.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Yeah definitely a JBK, but almost certainly a repro of a famous design. Fakes can be worth money too, depending on the craftsmanship.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Mescal posted:

Yeah definitely a JBK, but almost certainly a repro of a famous design. Fakes can be worth money too, depending on the craftsmanship.

I wish ametures would do more research before they post. This is not a bagel keeper (did not appear until c18th century) but for doughnuts. The lip with its raised groove served two purposes: 1 to keep doughnut hot while it was brought up to nobles and samurai 2 to keep powdered sugar off the fingers of the upper class. The messy sugar was seen as an insult to ancestors when stuck on fingers and licking of the fingers is forbidden as it resembles a funerary custom.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

I wish ametures would do more research before they post. This is not a bagel keeper (did not appear until c18th century) but for doughnuts. The lip with its raised groove served two purposes: 1 to keep doughnut hot while it was brought up to nobles and samurai 2 to keep powdered sugar off the fingers of the upper class. The messy sugar was seen as an insult to ancestors when stuck on fingers and licking of the fingers is forbidden as it resembles a funerary custom.

:rolleyes: History undergrad spotted!

Japanese Doughnut/Bagel Keepers make their appearance on Honshu after the Taika Reforms of 645CE. This is, in fact, a Tang Era Sino Bagel Keeper approved by the administration for candidates of the state examination. The "pheasants" are actually controversial renditions of the Earth Spirit which indicates that the original owner of this SBK sought humility and balance and may have been Taoist, though Buddhist is more likely. The "butterflies" are butterflies, which are pretty and have no historical significance.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The Jew fears the Samurai.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Jewel Repetition posted:

I actually read a few trade magazines from inside the processed food industry a while ago, and they talked about the newest technology, where what you can do is boil an expensive fruit (like blueberries), capture the steam in a cloth, then squeeze that steam over another juice (a cheap one, like pear juice) and then call the whole pear-juice vat "Blueberry juice with other natural juices"

The whole thing was a giant gushing article about new ways to be technically correct about labeling; that's probably how Arizona makes their fruit juices.

Tea, on the other hand, is loving cheap as poo poo, a dollar a tallboy is still a 1000% markup over what it costs to make, even "the hard way"

Ham Pants
Apr 22, 2008

"HEADS! I eat a big ham sandwiche! TAILS! I work out!"
HamPants, HamPants the movie, 2009
Okay, here's a hypothetical scenario: It's late summer in a fairly temperate broadleaf and mixed forest. The area in question has gently rolling hills, and is not mountainous. Through some means, seawater is washed into the area, is unable to flow back out, and pools on the forest floor, averaging about a foot in depth.

How long (days, weeks, hours, anything) would it take for this to harm the forest in question, and what would be the early signs of it doing so?

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
That's a really specific question...when you say seawater, you mean salt water?

It would kill everything pretty quickly, within days. Eventually you might end up with a mangrove?

There are a lot of scientific papers on ocean succession in the Gulf coast for environmental studies on climate change if you search right, they might describe the situation you're looking for.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

cyberia posted:

Can someone please tell me what this thing is? I found it in a thrift store, it's wooden, painted green with pheasants and butterflies on it and opens up. It's about the size of a bagel :confused:

Looks like a jewelry box used to keep a necklace to me. Like http://www.trocadero.com/stores/jacknelis/items/1165889/item1165889.html

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Ham Pants posted:

Okay, here's a hypothetical scenario: It's late summer in a fairly temperate broadleaf and mixed forest. The area in question has gently rolling hills, and is not mountainous. Through some means, seawater is washed into the area, is unable to flow back out, and pools on the forest floor, averaging about a foot in depth.

How long (days, weeks, hours, anything) would it take for this to harm the forest in question, and what would be the early signs of it doing so?

The first signs would show in wilting and browning leaves on the trees and vegetation. I found a brief article about inland trees suffering salt water damage from Hurricane Sandy here that might be helpful.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

pylb posted:

Looks like a jewelry box used to keep a necklace to me. Like http://www.trocadero.com/stores/jacknelis/items/1165889/item1165889.html

Spoilsport.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

pylb posted:

:sigh: Let me guess, you took sciences or a trade in post-secondary. No historical thinking.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I lol'd at the JBK discussion.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012
Maybe there is a stupid math question thread, but if not:

I have a store credit of 216.00 at a place and I want to use up that credit buying at least 4 each of two different item one priced at 14.99 and one priced at 21.99.

How do I maximize my numbers mathmagically (ie instead of brute force solving)?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

subtract (15 * 4 + 22 * 4) from 216 since that's your minimum. That leaves you with 68 credit to spend how you like. I believe the closes you get is (15 * 3 + 22 * 1) for 67.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Learn your loving word problems, kids

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

pupdive posted:

Maybe there is a stupid math question thread, but if not:

I have a store credit of 216.00 at a place and I want to use up that credit buying at least 4 each of two different item one priced at 14.99 and one priced at 21.99.

How do I maximize my numbers mathmagically (ie instead of brute force solving)?

This makes me so incredibly sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I remember playing this old PC Game, I'm pretty sure it was on Windows 3.something, but I can't remember the name.

The game is, obviously, 2d. You're in a pyramid, and you gotta walk around and maybe get keys? But there are snakes, I specifically remember there being snakes.

That's all I remember, snakes pyramid and maybe keys, Windows 3.whatever.

Any ideas?