Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

e: Very wrong thread

Eejit fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Sam Adams Merrymaker is just as good as Hardywood GBS but beer nerds will never admit they like something from Sam Adams.

really because I thought beer geeks with a wallet have a boner for the Utopias

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

deadwing posted:

If the guy at a brand new store offered that to me I'd hand him back whatever I was going to buy, and wish him good luck with his business. Attempting to rip off new customers is a great way to gain loyalty!

I just called the guy back to make sure I understood him correctly. I did.

Good luck, bud.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Wamsutta posted:

I want to die.

Well, if it makes you feel better, you can try going to this:

quote:

On Saturday, December 27th from 12-3pm, Two Roads Brewing will host a “Meet the Brewer” event at their brewery tasting room in Stratford, CT, with both Sip of Sunshine IPA and Super Session #2 on draft.

Also, apparently the distribution is "all counties except NH and Fairfield," so if you live close enough to another county, you could give it a shot. Also, their twitter feed seems to indicate it will be in NH and Fairfield "soon"

quote:

Lawson's Finest
‏@LawsonsFinest
@davecervero @CornerTavernCT @WestbrkLobster @ConnecticutBeer @LawsonsFinest - SOS will be available in New Haven & Fairfield counties soon

I guess I'm a little embarrassed to admit I'd never even heard of this beer or its whalez status until all this started. I'm usually pretty good about stuff like that.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Sam Adams Merrymaker is just as good as Hardywood GBS but beer nerds will never admit they like something from Sam Adams.

i think Hardywood does a better (and impressive) job of capturing the flavor they're going for, but i don't really like either beer.

ExtremistCow
Oct 15, 2005

americanzero4128 posted:

Yeah you did the right thing.

If you guys need something to laugh at today, here are a couple good ripoff Craigslist posts that I hope nobody ever responds seriously to.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/clt/4783162353.html

$40/per for New Glarus fruits? I Google Map-ed it, the seller in Glenview is 40 miles from the Woodman's in Kenosha, who sells all of those for ~$10/bottle.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

ExtremistCow posted:

$40/per for New Glarus fruits? I Google Map-ed it, the seller in Glenview is 40 miles from the Woodman's in Kenosha, who sells all of those for ~$10/bottle.

apologies if i've shared the analogy before, but it reminds of seeing "RARE OOP" records for sale on ebay when the label still has them on their website.

just realized i hadn't figured out what to drink tonight. poo poo.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

funkybottoms posted:

I'm having to delay my cellar raiding as friends' plans kept shifting around, so I'll be cracking something tomorrow, and, like you, I have no idea what I'm drinking.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I had two cellar beers tonight.

First up, some Troegs Mad Elf from 2011 (I think). This is a cellar beer in the sense that I drank one bottle of it, thought "ew, this is loving gross" and put it in my "cellar" for the next 3 years. Most of the cherry flavor is gone, but the beer itself is still gross. Cloves, chocolate, cherry cough syrup, really sweet, really boozy. Numbs the tongue and leaves a film in my mouth. Gross.

Next up and substantially better, some Victory Old Horizontal from 2011. The best by date on the bottle was smudged when I bought it back in 2011, so I just assumed it was from that year. Shares a lot in common with Bigfoot, although maybe not as good for me. Very enjoyable.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Hint, hint: Jester King got a shipment of Montmorency and Balaton cherries today.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
And here I was not planning on drinking tonight. Thanks, assholes.

2012 Peche Mortel. Definitely past it's prime. Green pepper, no real coffee left. Maybe some astringency? It's all a little off putting and especially sad considering how amazing this is fresh. WOULD NOT AGE AGAIN.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

danbanana posted:

2012 Peche Mortel. Definitely past it's prime. Green pepper, no real coffee left. Maybe some astringency? It's all a little off putting and especially sad considering how amazing this is fresh. WOULD NOT AGE AGAIN.

yeah, i had some from a two-year old keg a while back that was really good, but the bottles i sat on did not fare very well, either.

speaking of which, i opened up a CCB Brewer's Brunch from last year (got it recently in a cellar sale) and it's definitely infected- gushing everywhere, pouring full glasses of foam, thin and sharp, and really tart and fruity. good lacing, though!

Apache
May 11, 2004

Got to try some of the 2014 BCBS Monday night on draft at Datz in Tampa, evidently they also had the vanilla and coffee until last Friday, it was nice but I'm thinking it will be better in a year when it mellows a bit.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

a worthy uhh posted:

Hint, hint: Jester King got a shipment of Montmorency and Balaton cherries today.

All of their fruited sours are fair game to be done again from what I understand! However I'm not sure how often I can make it down there in the future, but more than likely I'll be around that area during PAX South to meet up with Bag of Sun Chips.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

danbanana posted:

You gots to link to the actual image, not the imgur page http://i.imgur.com/xbDZuQs.jpg

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

air- posted:

I would've started laughing at the dude and walked out.

So that Christmas Morning on cask from Hardywood was the highlight of the night! The honey was very present and paired well with all the spices without being cloying. The only difference I noticed between 13/14 BA GBS was stronger nose on gingerbread/cinnamon spice for the 13, flavor seemed identical.

Glad you liked it! I somehow just found out yesterday that they're bottling Christmas Morning, it goes on sale Saturday. If you're interested in a bottle I could be persuaded to pay them a visit.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
Bar in town put BCBS on tap for $5/10oz so I've been drinking that instead of pulling anything from the cellar. I did open a Westbrook Gose from this summer and it's still delicious. It's become a bit less bright, but the huge sour + salt is still there. I have 2 of these left from the 2 cases I brought back from the reg Mexican Cake release. Gonna have to get back down to SC for some more!

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

funkybottoms posted:

apologies if i've shared the analogy before, but it reminds of seeing "RARE OOP" records for sale on ebay when the label still has them on their website.

That's a cool analogy that I haven't seen before. As someone who worked at a record store I know exactly what you mean.

I'm drinking a Sam Adams Merry Maker anyway and still find no difference between Christmas beers and Halloween beers. Same spices and same bases.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Brace yourselves for nerd rage... Brew Dogs filmed at Cantillon yesterday.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

a worthy uhh posted:

"we put an actual horse blanket in the beer"

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

cryme posted:

I think we can shut this thread down because nothing will ever top this. So. Much. Win.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

poop dood posted:

Glad you liked it! I somehow just found out yesterday that they're bottling Christmas Morning, it goes on sale Saturday. If you're interested in a bottle I could be persuaded to pay them a visit.

Rum GBS comes out next weekend, you know

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

It's been a massively busy trip so far so I haven't had the time to write much about it. Some quick notes:
- Boise has a really booming beer scene, to the point where I visited a growler-fill joint that was almost nothing but Idaho beer. (They also used the term "grunt" to refer to 32oz fills, which was a new one to me.)
- 10 Barrel Boise is 3 times as large as the Bend one and has like 1.75 as many taps, which is great. It's not really new beer to me though; they just have a lot more of the one-offs on at once that I've drunk in Bend before. The Mother Faucher red ale (named after the chef in Boise) was particularly nice.
- In Utah they make the best 4% beer on earth, I am convinced (although the beer-bar owner I spoke with said that the Utah liquor commission really doesn't check these things very closely and your average 4% craft tap in UT was usually more like 4.5%). Red Rock makes the "IPA Jr." which is rich, fabulously hoppy, and maybe just a little thin on the body; I'd drink that a lot around town if I lived here. Since bars can serve whatever they want in bottles, some of the bottle lists in what seemed like pretty divey places were surprisingly deep -- I came across one joint that had 2009 Mirror Mirror bottles for like $24.
- Turns out the entire WY beer scene is really in Jackson Hole, yolk's on me for driving I-80 instead! I did not drive down to Ft Collins due to very tight time constraints (will return on the way back). Cheyenne has Freedom's Edge and I had to struggle to find a good beer there until I ran into the Hip Shot IPA, which apparently was made because they were planning to make some other beer but lacked one important ingredient or another, so just made an IPA with the hops instead. (The place is very homebrewy indeed).

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

cryme posted:

Let's talk beer 4: We put an actual horse blanket in the beer

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

crazyfish posted:

Funny, but the current one is more appropriate to the current state of this bullshit.

ExtremistCow
Oct 15, 2005

In other Founders news, Blushing Monk is coming back in March. And only two more Backstage beers in 2015.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Yesssssssss. ISO a case. Can't wait to truck chase.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

a worthy uhh posted:

ha, turns out i know a guy who was actually at Cantillon while this poo poo was going down and, well, he did not come away with a very good impression of the BrewDogs. he said they clearly pissed off JvR at some point, too.

oh. gently caress yes. (beaten.)

http://foundersbrewing.com/latest-news/2014/bringing-blushing-monk-back-march-2015/

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Are you guys telling me Founders brews a good beer? loving weird, man...

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Holy hell, a Backstage beer I actually want to buy!

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

funkybottoms posted:

ha, turns out i know a guy who was actually at Cantillon while this poo poo was going down and, well, he did not come away with a very good impression of the BrewDogs. he said they clearly pissed off JvR at some point, too.

oh. gently caress yes. (beaten.)

http://foundersbrewing.com/latest-news/2014/bringing-blushing-monk-back-march-2015/

I'm shocked that a guy who has serious reverence for the history and art of brewing was not a fan of The Brew Dogz.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I like how they're the Guy Fieri of brewing.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

~Brëw Dawgz~

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I finally got me some Habanero Sculpin, which I missed out on last time it hit Philly.

So good. Okay, maybe I wish it were a bit hotter. Interestingly it reaches a plateau and then sits there, it doesn't keep getting hotter as you keep drinking more of it. But it's got that delicious fruity character that ripe habaneros have, plus Sculpin. I really like this beer.

In non-beer-related news, apparently the PLCB just put some Pappy up for sale online and the web page is getting *hammered*. I'm sure by the time I manage to get in it'll be gone.

Oh, also, a few Texas breweries are suing Texas for what sounds like excellent reasons:

http://ij.org/r/texas-craft-beer/

quote:

In 2013, Texas passed a law that prohibits brewers from negotiating with distributors for the value of their territorial rights. Instead, the law forces brewers to give those rights away for free.

Senate Bill 639, now codified at Texas Alcoholic Beverage Code §102.75(a)(7), says that “no manufacturer shall…accept payment in exchange for an agreement setting forth territorial rights.”[viii] Tellingly, the restriction does not prohibit distributors from accepting payment when they re-sell territorial rights to another distributor. Only brewers are prohibited from accepting payment. If a brewery does sell it territorial rights, it can lose its license to produce alcohol, which would put that brewery out of business.

So if Texas brewers want to self-distribute, they can do that. But if they want to distribute across an area so large that they'd, you know, enter into an agreement with a distributor, they can't take any money in exchange for distribution rights. They have to give those rights to a distributor. The distributor can, however, turn around and sell those rights to another distributor. WTF, Texas?

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 11, 2014

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

funkybottoms posted:

Rum GBS comes out next weekend, you know

Jesus. Wonder what I could trade a full GBS set for.

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

crazyfish posted:

Related: http://www.beeradvocate.com/communi...whities.234742/

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

poop dood posted:

Jesus. Wonder what I could trade a full GBS set for.

If the rum is as good as the bourbon, I'll start the bidding at a sixer of Old Style.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Were they used or fresh out of the pack?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

danbanana posted:

Are you guys telling me Founders brews a good beer? loving weird, man...

Oh come on now.

Though I may be missing the sarcasm, if so I apologize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

The Lucy :allears:

https://www.facebook.com/454141454626661/photos/a.454144901292983.104184.454141454626661/895273210513481/?type=1