Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

"whats in this glass"
"It's just J-E-L-L-O"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Say what you will, but my biggest complaint about the episode was that Bill Cosby wasn't a white android from the dystopian future.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Overdrift posted:

I was expecting Mr. Hanky to come out and save Christmas :(
I was as well.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Parts Kit posted:

I was as well.

Was I the only one who was expecting the belief to summon Satan again?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I was expecting it to be between Santa, Jesus or Mr. Hanky. Pleasantly surprised that it wasn;t.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY

SilverSupernova posted:

Was I the only one who was expecting the belief to summon Satan again?

It did summon Satan up in a box in the top right of the screen.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

CBJSprague24 posted:

"Shelley, who's Shelley? That's ignorant!" was beautiful.

I like how, at one point, he dropped the "that's" and you're left with a well-timed "ignorant". I can't remember if it was that instance or not, but that made me laugh uncontrollably. The Michael Jackson shtick will never get old, whether he is in human, spirit, or hologram form.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
That was...well, it had funny moments, but on the whole it just seemed unfocused and scattershot. The holograms thing didn't really go anywhere. Holo-Tupac finds Holo-Michael and they're cool with eachother? That's fine, but it was a weak payoff for all the time spent on the whole holograms idea. Wasn't Holo-Michael in South Park for some reason? I mean he was looking around the Jefferson estate, so it seemed like he was looking for something that belonged to his formerly living counterpart, but nothing happened.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Blargh. I'd rather be a grandpa than not think they've crossed a line of decency getting that PDP asswipe on the show.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
That sort of collapsed across the finish line didn't it. At least they acknowledged it. I wonder if they'll continue the continuity next year?

There is a 'next year' right?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Andrew_1985 posted:

There is a 'next year' right?

There's a couple of next years.

http://www.zap2it.com/blogs/south_park_renewed_through_2016_cartman_and_co_will_get_20_seasons-2011-11

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
The show still entertains me and is not in Simpsons obviously overstayed it's welcome territory. I trust Trey and Matt to euthanize it long before it gets to that point. For now, I only wish they made more episodes cause the seasons feel too short.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Waltzing Along posted:

The message was pretty spot on. I was actually just discussing that with a friend the other day. And at this point, PDP is a very powerful entertainment force and it is growing fast.

The message didn't quite work because it left out a rather important detail: PDP didn't just come out of nowhere and create his own fame. The guy works heavily with a marketing firm. He's not the "little guy who just happened to strike it big" this episode painted him as.

The rest of it, however, was spot on. People like him are definitely a rapidly growing entertainment field for better or worse.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

FuriousxGeorge posted:

The show still entertains me and is not in Simpsons obviously overstayed it's welcome territory. I trust Trey and Matt to euthanize it long before it gets to that point. For now, I only wish they made more episodes cause the seasons feel too short.

I just wish they had more side projects released during the time off. Like I would love to get another movie from these guys!

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011
I was expecting Slash to appear...

Also that ending was pretty poo poo.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I want that to retroactively be Mr. Hankey because gently caress that guy for infecting a TV show I like

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Kind of a shame for one of the best seasons ever to end with the equivalent of a loud, messy fart.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
I know Matt and Trey are just going to put on their smug face and call everyone who had issues with the episode grandpas.

That doesn't mean that making a youtube celebrity the climax of your season isn't boring and unfunny. I mean, it's unexpected, but that never made any of M. Night Shyamalan's movies any good.

I guess it's funny in the sense that Kyle wanted to summon a talking piece of poo poo and got PewDiePie instead? If that was even the intended joke.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 11, 2014

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
And these are the same people who tore Family Guy a new rear end in a top hat?

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Jesto posted:

I guess it's funny in the sense that Kyle wanted to summon a talking piece of poo poo and got PewDiePie instead? If that was even the intended joke.

Please please please let this be the case.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I liked the episode. Wasn't one of the best of the season, but after such a strong run of episodes I can't really find much fault in it. :shobon:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Andrew_1985 posted:

That sort of collapsed across the finish line didn't it. At least they acknowledged it. I wonder if they'll continue the continuity next year?

It definitely did peeter out toward the end. You had to sort of expect a showdown between CARTMAN BRAH and Pew Die Pie, though.

Slime posted:

That was...well, it had funny moments, but on the whole it just seemed unfocused and scattershot. The holograms thing didn't really go anywhere. Holo-Tupac finds Holo-Michael and they're cool with eachother? That's fine, but it was a weak payoff for all the time spent on the whole holograms idea. Wasn't Holo-Michael in South Park for some reason? I mean he was looking around the Jefferson estate, so it seemed like he was looking for something that belonged to his formerly living counterpart, but nothing happened.

I think they had too many ideas which had to be shoehorned into 23 minutes. I forgot about The Terminator feel of Holo-Michael and Holo-Tupac in the police station. That could've gone somewhere. And, as I mentioned before, Taylor Swift's overly-needy-in-relationships personality being date-raped by Bill Cosby (resulting from a duet of a horrifically-bad holiday song later associated with date rape) was something they could've taken and run with.

I was hoping to see more of Holo-Michael as Peter Pan seeing as he dressed up as Peter Pan in The Jeffersons.

Jesto posted:

I know Matt and Trey are just going to put on their smug face and call everyone who had issues with the episode grandpas.

I hope they aren't the types to go Seth MacFarlane and think it's good stuff because they say it is.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Jesto posted:

CBJSprague24 posted:

I hope they aren't the types to go Seth MacFarlane and think it's good stuff because they say it is.

I think the whole point was Matt and Trey coming to terms with the fact that they are the grampas so probably not?

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
This was a pretty weak episode, but most of the past ones this season have been very strong so I'm willing to forgive here. Too many elements going on at the same time I think for a 30 minute show this time around.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I think this is a weak ending just because they went meta and tried to throw everyone for a loop, but they did that much better a few weeks ago in Grounded Vindaloop so this episode kind of comes off as bad towards the end.

Storm
Jun 7, 2001

Professional #8 Hitter/Beard Grower
I think the ending was definitely Kyle wanting to have Mr. Hanky appear and PDP showing up instead.

I had to stop the episode for a minute after the "trendscending" joke, oh my god. loving lost it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Blind Sally posted:

I was expecting it to be between Santa, Jesus or Mr. Hanky. Pleasantly surprised that it wasn;t.

I knew it was going to be PewDiePie, I was just hoping that maybe it'd be Mr. Hanky. I guess that would've been too obvious.

I'm now retroactively wishing they would've gotten Nathan Barnatt, since he was a YouTube personality who actually went into a semi-successful acting career, appearing in commercials and music videos and stuff.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Oh man, the screen names of the commenters were great. I was so busy laughing at them I was missing a lot of other stuff.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
they seem to have forgotten to add the jokes in this finale.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Jesto posted:

That's what I'm going to force myself to believe.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
"Trendscendence" is actually a really funny joke.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

TheFattestPat posted:

Oh man, the screen names of the commenters were great. I was so busy laughing at them I was missing a lot of other stuff.

Dave Grohl tweeting about how much he missed Kurt Cobain (and blaming Courtney for the death) was hilarious AND depressing :unsmith:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I really enjoyed that Cartman was just doing it all to become trendsgender and get his own bathroom. It reminded me a lot of that season where he wanted to get a million dollars and the whole two-part televangelist church episodes turned out to be just part of that scheme.

Edit: Didn't the plot of Kenny dying turn into the same thing, where he gets stem cells legalized to build a 2nd Stuckey's pizza and earn a million dollars off it?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
this season was p good, but the last two episodes weren't really that great

there have been worse though

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Well fine I will be the first person to say I enjoyed that episode. It was topical, it had some good jokes. People are butthurt about PewdiePie being the climactic ending but in all reality it's not that big of a deal. They could have literally built the same exact continuity with the episodes sans anything related to PDP towards the end, and still had it all come together in some way. PDP was just the topical thing they were using. However, had they done something else instead of PDP goons would still complain anyway because goons complain about everything. All the continuity coming together was a given from the beginning of the season and I liked all of the call backs. I hope they do another season with continuity. It made everything better.

Introducing PDP in the episode before the finale was just their regular episode. Then when they make the finale have all the continuity come together, PDP was apart of this season. So you just get him back to back unfortunately because he was last in the season.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Guys, I just realized - the main plot of the episode - Tupac locating Michael Jackson and teaming up with him against the entertainment producers - was barely even shown. The episode took place around it. We got to see the cops' commentary on it. :D

It was a great episode. South Park is supposed to be offensive, and ending the show by literally turning it into a PewDiePie LP is certainly offensive.

I was really expecting them to break into Cartman's bedroom and discover that he'd died in an Oculus Rift, though. Sad that didn't happen.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I think I was actually half-expecting Taylor Swift to try to rape Bill Cosby, instead of the other way around.

She's a...... unique girl, that one.

That or just this with Bill Cosby:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc_F0zP9usU

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

I just watched the episode again, and I liked it a lot better the second time. It still feels like they were trying to cram too much in, but I think I got a better understanding of what they were trying to do wrt the internet and real life becoming intertwined so completely. I don't feel like a grandpa because I don't like PDP, but some of us 90s kids are not even in our thirties yet and we remember how insular it used to be. That does make me feel like a grandpa.

I still hate Cartman Brah though. I'm one of the few people that can somewhat enjoy Jakovasaurs or Towelie episodes, so I know that Trey and Matt can make fun of annoying things and have it be funny, but this just didn't work for me. I guess PDP is more obnoxious to me than Jar Jar Binks.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I didn't think PewDiePie's appearance was actually that funny--I was laughing way harder at the live tweets, the Cobain fake-out, and the Cosby song, for instance. However, knowing that PewDiePie's appearance would upset a bunch of grandpas brought me a lot of satisfaction. So I enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Kinda surprised by how surprised people were that pewtie popped up again at the end.

Anyone else remember Mega64? They had a really similar thing with a guy in a webcam window for one episode making comments and bothering the other characters.

• Locked thread