Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Martout posted:

Looking closer at the stinger, Wells only starts healing after he's attached the brace to the suit, meaning the ring/suit is indeed where his powers come from. Makes me think he definitely is RF from further into the future (post-Crisis even) who maybe realized his errors to some extent and has now made it his mission to safeguard the timeline where Flash saves the earth from the Crisis and that his own previous goals were unimportant compared to this.

He still can't undo past events he affected so he's trying to manipulate the situation to his and Barrys advantage as much as he can, i.e. getting the macguffin, maybe engineering a situation to give Barry his powers earlier in Barrys timeline and such.

Still not January 20th huh?

...I didn't even realise that he healed when he put the thing on. That is really subtle and quite well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Astro Nut posted:

...I didn't even realise that he healed when he put the thing on. That is really subtle and quite well done.

That would explain (in-universe) why the voice stuff had kicked in then despite nobody else being around.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If we assume that Wells can't go fast without the suit then that probably brings up some points

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Wells wants revenge on great grandpa Eddie for naming him "Eobard"

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Random Stranger posted:

The timeline is Wells is from the distant future and came back in time to fourteen years ago. Then he works to arrange the particle accelerator, sabotages it, and tries to make Barry into the best superhero possible. But he needs the tachyon device either to give himself superspeed or be able to time travel again. So he pulls a Bill and Ted and goes, "Remember to time travel back to Christmas 2014 and give myself the tachyons." (BTW, try this yourself! If you ever get to time travel, you'll find out instantly!). Wells and the Reverse Flash "meet at last" (as in, their timelines finally converge like they knew they had to), and the Reverse Flash arranges to give Wells the device for Christmas. Then Wells has the device and gains superspeed and/or can time travel again. After fighting the Flash several times in episodes we haven't seen yet, he goes back in time to threaten Joe, murder Nora Allen, and give himself the tachyons.

This is a cool theory but they're making it really obvious that the suit is super shiny in the time of Nora Allen's stabbing, and the suit is very worn and dull in the Science Room, so I'm pretty sure it's not this linear at all.

e: it's also a much brighter yellow in the past

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Flesh Forge posted:

This is a cool theory but they're making it really obvious that the suit is super shiny in the time of Nora Allen's stabbing, and the suit is very worn and dull in the Science Room, so I'm pretty sure it's not this linear at all.

e: it's also a much brighter yellow in the past

It's possible that something happened along the way (like, they accidentally cause the car wreck) and Wells just gives up.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Look, here's some pictures:

When Barry was a kid and his mother is stabbed:

When he faces off with Dr. Wells and Joe in the force field trap:

And in the last moments of the episode, in the Science Room:

Incidentally I found a bunch of cool gifs someone made from this episode:
http://imgur.com/a/nvxQ2

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The first shot is from the pilot though, so it's not necessarily evidence of a change.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

Actually that's pretty blatantly not the same suit in the first ep, there's no chest emblem. I'm surprised I didn't notice that before. As carefully as the show has been executed so far I really doubt that's just a production flaw/late change.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

When he is vibrating what is he physically doing, just stepping back and forth super fast?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Flesh Forge posted:

For a second there, I thought Wells was the Black Racer.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

When he is vibrating what is he physically doing, just stepping back and forth super fast?

Just vibrating. Try it, you can do it to at normal speed. Get really cold if you need to.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

greatn posted:

Just vibrating. Try it, you can do it to at normal speed. Get really cold if you need to.

Ugh he must have a headache all the time.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Ugh he must have a headache all the time.

He heals super quick.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

One more request please:

The street-level streaking through the city avatar sized

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Grem posted:

I like that the Flash has legit lost two times now. Three if you count Plastique. Pretty refreshing for a super hero show.

This reminds me of classic Spider-man stories where he fights the villain, gets beat up, and eventually wins.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I think I'm jumping off of the Wells and Eddie are genetically relayed wagon.It's clear that RF sees Eddie as important (when RF is holding Joe, he says "I need him to hunt me"). How specifically is still a question, but it shows that Eddie's pursuit is as relevant as his existence and can't risk jeopardizing it with injuries

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Well, there's the possibility that Wells and the OF the Barry met are not the same OF. There are multiple evil Flashes, right?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
We'll all feel extremely silly when it's revealed that Grodd is the RF.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Krad posted:

We'll all feel extremely silly when it's revealed that Grodd is the RF.

I know that every time I've been worried about how the show will pull off something visually they've come through but I honestly don't see how they are going to do Grodd without it looking ridiculous.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Xelkelvos posted:

I think I'm jumping off of the Wells and Eddie are genetically relayed wagon.It's clear that RF sees Eddie as important (when RF is holding Joe, he says "I need him to hunt me"). How specifically is still a question, but it shows that Eddie's pursuit is as relevant as his existence and can't risk jeopardizing it with injuries

Does he? I thought RF told Joe "I warned you not to hunt me."

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

I dont know posted:

Does he? I thought RF told Joe "I warned you not to hunt me."

That's what I heard, which makes a lot of sense.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

zoux posted:

I know that every time I've been worried about how the show will pull off something visually they've come through but I honestly don't see how they are going to do Grodd without it looking ridiculous.

I think it'll be fine as long as they don't make him talk. Let him use telepathy or control some random guy to talk for him instead.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

zoux posted:

w/head wobble.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Didn't Caitlin mention how fast Wells heals while helping him out at Star Labs? Does he really need the suit?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Lol mocking someone who points out the flash's top speed is wildly inconsistent when it's very clearly a plot point in like half the episodes... Only in tviv

I genuinely like that this show has cliffhangers that aren't obvious. What on earth will happen the rest of the season as he trains to get faster when his main source of assistance is the dude he's fighting?

Man I'm so impressed by this show. Absolutely love that we have good DC material now

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 11, 2014

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

bbf2 posted:

It does happen in GoT. Both actual resurrection and "Oh, they weren't actually dead, that was a fakeout" have occurred. (the latter happens ALL the time in the books)

Woosh. Seriously how are you on these forums and read ASOIAF and have that get by you. Double woosh.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Lol mocking someone who points out the flash's top speed is wildly inconsistent when it's very clearly a plot point in like half the episodes... Only in tviv

Actually, it's never a plot point.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Himuro posted:

Didn't Caitlin mention how fast Wells heals while helping him out at Star Labs? Does he really need the suit?

She mentioned the opposite - as in, that Barry should remember that everyone heals as quickly as him, IIRC. Which I realise now was a bit of foreshadowing to Wells doing it later.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Astro Nut posted:

She mentioned the opposite - as in, that Barry should remember that everyone heals as quickly as him, IIRC. Which I realise now was a bit of foreshadowing to Wells doing it later.

Oh! I should really watch that scene again then.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

What the gently caress, I'm pretty sure all three suits are different. Look at the collar in the second pic vs Science Room Suit.

jaik3n
Sep 18, 2009
Don't forget, it kinda seems like Wells' MO is stabbing.

Personally, I think he's(wells) a combination of a few aspects of the reverse flashes. I'm hoping he's a superfan that really wants the flash to be the best possible flash ever, and go completely psychotic in that regard. None of the revenge stuff or anything. He legitimately wants Barry to be the best hero ever.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Man every time I see these screenshots and gifs I'm blown away at how they made Reverse Flash look so loving unsettling and scary. It's fantastic. Especially compared to the shiny yellow from the pilot- adding the vibrating and glowy eyes and desaturating the yellow really nails it.

Flesh Forge posted:

What the gently caress, I'm pretty sure all three suits are different. Look at the collar in the second pic vs Science Room Suit.
Actually I saw this too and I was gonna post something but I figured it could be explained away by production stuff. That second image is the sort of thing I'm talking about though, what a beautifully creepy shot.

Was there ever a direct explanation for why RF didn't mess with Joe? I know we all more or less agree he left Eddie alive because of Wells's "warning" but was there a bit where he recognized Joe as important or is that something we should be reading more into?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Because Joe didn't die in the Original Timeline. The more he fucks with history the more he risks his own future not happening.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

But why the guards at Mercury and Eddie's task force then? I know the real answer is plot armor but RF didn't seem to have a problem offing them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hazo posted:

But why the guards at Mercury and Eddie's task force then? I know the real answer is plot armor but RF didn't seem to have a problem offing them.

The history here that he's concerned with is Flash's, and Joe's death would impact that more than a bunch of scrub cops.

Comics spoilers, not directly related I don't think but still:

In Flashpoint, I think, one of the speedster badguys, I can't remember if it was RF or Zoom, was obsessed with going back in time and beating Barry but he had to do it in such a way that he didn't prevent his own origins. So I think what's going on with Wells is that there is something he is trying to accomplish but he has to be very careful and particular in the changes he makes so he doesn't accidentally gently caress himself over

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Or RF told West not to search for him or RF would kill Iris. Perhaps RF thinks killing Iris is the more fitting punishment. Killing Joe would be easy but making him agonize over his daughter's safety and eventual death is worse?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zoux posted:

Because Joe didn't die in the Original Timeline. The more he fucks with history the more he risks his own future not happening.

To get complete :spergin: about this, time travel stories tend to think of a straight line of descendents but he should have several thousand ancestors alive at this time since there's exponential growth as you go backward. And you can't avoid problems just by not killing your own great-great-great-great-great-grandfather, that nameless cop he killed might have been the ancestor of the guy who introduced his dad to his mother. It's a huge, interconnected web of relationships and any tweak has huge repercussions.

But it's better to just let it go since it doesn't really matter for the story they're telling.

Lyon posted:

Or RF told West not to search for him or RF would kill Iris. Perhaps RF thinks killing Iris is the more fitting punishment. Killing Joe would be easy but making him agonize over his daughter's safety and eventual death is worse?

In the comics the Reverse Flash kills Iris. Though since it's comics she eventually gets better.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Flesh Forge posted:

The collar might just look different because of how it is placed on the dummy versus how it looks when actually worn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

zoux posted:

The history here that he's concerned with is Flash's, and Joe's death would impact that more than a bunch of scrub cops.
Exactly, I know this is what we're all meant to assume but I was just unsure if this was explicitly addressed. Although I just remembered that RF probably already knows who Joe is since he delivered that warning a few episodes ago, hence why he knows not to mess with Joe but (presumably) needed Wells to tip him off about Thawne to keep him from axeing him.

• Locked thread