Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
I went to mandatory rehab at Eisenhower. AMA

gently caress DAPA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I would have volunteered for impatient if I had enough time left.

Had a Marine buddy go to Point Loma voluntarily for 33 days for alcohol and said it was the biggest waste of money. Guess there was a bunch of HMs working there who just didn't give a gently caress and were dicks for no reason (what's new) he said it costs the Navy $30k or some poo poo? I mean yeah it's not for everyone but he said it didn't help him at all. I think he still quit of his own accord but idk

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Christoff posted:

I would have volunteered for impatient if I had enough time left.

Had a Marine buddy go to Point Loma voluntarily for 33 days for alcohol and said it was the biggest waste of money. Guess there was a bunch of HMs working there who just didn't give a gently caress and were dicks for no reason (what's new) he said it costs the Navy $30k or some poo poo? I mean yeah it's not for everyone but he said it didn't help him at all. I think he still quit of his own accord but idk

I was in for 50 days, army though not Navy. Piss tests at 0500, therapy until 1600. hour break until 1700 then put in a van and driven to a random AA meeting until 2030 just in time to come back and fill out a form about how it made me "feel".

14 months later they find out they sent me based off someone else's medical records (in another branch, with my same name)

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

AA is a great program and works for a ton of people but there's nothing worse than a bunch of people who don't want to be there

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Christoff posted:

AA is a great program and works for a ton of people but there's nothing worse than a bunch of people who don't want to be there

I never degraded the program, and it works for a certain group of people and I support that. Thanks for letting me share

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Huh? No I mean people who are forced to go. Like court ordered etc. It doesn't sound like you were going voluntarily. Wasn't trying to diss

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Analogical posted:

14 months later they find out they sent me based off someone else's medical records (in another branch, with my same name)

Wait... Like they grabbed you out if the blue and sent you to rehab, or you had to be DAPA screened for another reason and during that screening they used the wrong record?

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Christoff posted:

Huh? No I mean people who are forced to go. Like court ordered etc. It doesn't sound like you were going voluntarily. Wasn't trying to diss

Yeah it was involuntary. I got my chips up through black for 1yr sober, then DAPA released me. AA is really, really cult-like. I'm not even strictly anti-AA, but the things they practice and the way they do it bothered me. It just gives people a reason to not feel accountable for their actions, because "it's a disease" and not a choice to drink. I understand for some people it's an actual dependency, but for others that kind of phrasing becomes an excuse for their behavior and a reason to not take responsibility for their actions.

For the people that actually need a higher power to fix themselves though, it can be a godsend and I've seen it turn people around. But, without insulting anyone here who may be active still, those types of people are a specific variety.

ManMythLegend posted:

Wait... Like they grabbed you out if the blue and sent you to rehab, or you had to be DAPA screened for another reason and during that screening they used the wrong record?

I got pulled from C-School one day because my ex said I drink too much, she later admitted to me she wanted me to lose my clearance so I wouldn't work with her. Whirlwind of DAPA/ASAP later and I'm told I'm a raving alcoholic and I have to go to rehab that same week and a Chief drops me off for the worst 50 days of my life. Later on i requested my medical records and realized they had me pegged as a CTI1 and my interviews were mixed with an army warrant officer who had the same name as me, who was also there with me and was former navy. The Colonel/Head Psych was putting his daily interviews with us in both our files. Once he told me "If you didn't have the history I can see you have, I'd believe you that you weren't an alcoholic"

Now it effects my specwar assessment opportunities and most of the programs I'm willing to re-enlist for. My command has treated proof they hosed up like a scandal and I consistently get bounced around. I'm fairly sure I'm only TDY a thousand miles away for most of the year so they can ignore the problem, since I got sent here right after bringing it up with my Divo backed up with my medical records and audio files of (every single one of) my DAPA interviews.

But I'm not bitter.

Analogical fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Dec 11, 2014

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Analogical posted:

Yeah it was involuntary. I got my chips up through black for 1yr sober, then DAPA released me. AA is really, really cult-like. I'm not even strictly anti-AA, but the things they practice and the way they do it bothered me. It just gives people a reason to not feel accountable for their actions, because "it's a disease" and not a choice to drink. I understand for some people it's an actual dependency, but for others that kind of phrasing becomes an excuse for their behavior and a reason to not take responsibility for their actions.

For the people that actually need a higher power to fix themselves though, it can be a godsend and I've seen it turn people around. But, without insulting anyone here who may be active still, those types of people are a specific variety.

I got pulled from C-School one day because my ex said I drink too much, she later admitted to me she wanted me to lose my clearance so I wouldn't work with her. Whirlwind of DAPA/ASAP later and I'm told I'm a raving alcoholic and I have to go to rehab that same week and a Chief drops me off for the worst 50 days of my life. Later on i requested my medical records and realized they had me pegged as a CTI1 and my interviews were mixed with an army warrant officer who had the same name as me, who was also there with me and was former navy. The Colonel/Head Psych was putting his daily interviews with us in both our files. Once he told me "If you didn't have the history I can see you have, I'd believe you that you weren't an alcoholic"

Now it effects my specwar assessment opportunities and most of the programs I'm willing to re-enlist for. My command has treated proof they hosed up like a scandal and I consistently get bounced around. I'm fairly sure I'm only TDY a thousand miles away for most of the year so they can ignore the problem, since I got sent here right after bringing it up with my Divo backed up with my medical records and audio files of (every single one of) my DAPA interviews.

But I'm not bitter.

Bro, I ask you with all seriousness, have you contacted an IG or at the very least a JAG?

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

ManMythLegend posted:

Bro, I ask you with all seriousness, have you contacted an IG or at the very least a JAG?

This. I find it hard to believe that the BNC couldn't fix this. It'll take a while, but that's bullshit.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

ManMythLegend posted:

I'm working an angle still with the help of a goon, but in general my ship has sailed. JAG reminded me they're on my command's side, not mine, and the IG reminded me they work for the hospital that screwed me, not for me. I can't even fix this for the next person thats in my shoes. I can go on for a long time about all this but it just pisses me off and makes me pace around my room. Before they shoved me in there, I was a kool-aid sailor. Not even done with C-school and I was ready to board for my warfare. A pin I don't even know where my books are for now.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Analogical posted:

I'm working an angle still with the help of a goon, but in general my ship has sailed. JAG reminded me they're on my command's side, not mine, and the IG reminded me they work for the hospital that screwed me, not for me. I can't even fix this for the next person thats in my shoes. I can go on for a long time about all this but it just pisses me off and makes me pace around my room. Before they shoved me in there, I was a kool-aid sailor. Not even done with C-school and I was ready to board for my warfare. A pin I don't even know where my books are for now.

Hoooly poo poo, good luck man. What are your plans for the future, if you don't mind sharing?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Hey actus, need some pro bono work to fill in your downtime?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Don't forget to try the hail mary that is a congressional inquiry. Your case sounds like it might be the one in million that goes somewhere.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Analogical posted:

Dude, your command treats you like total poo poo. Get out and go civilian or contractor, the poo poo you put up with isn't worth it.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Sir Lucius posted:

Dude, your command treats you like total poo poo. Get out and go civilian or contractor, the poo poo you put up with isn't worth it.

This.

You sound like a cool dude though, hopefully it all works out.

Edit: Also sorry about the borderline ex, the Navy seems to be a magnet for the bipolars, anti-social, and borderline people in society that love to gently caress everything up.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Pandasmores posted:

This.

You sound like a cool dude though, hopefully it all works out.

Edit: Also sorry about the borderline ex, the Navy seems to be a magnet for the bipolars, anti-social, and borderline people in society that love to gently caress everything up.

In my experience, most people don't join the Navy because everything in their life was going great. Usually plan A already failed/was terrible and the Navy is a Plan 'B' (or 'Z', whatever). I joined because I hosed up seriously in the civilian world and I was out of good options to pay the bills.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

ManMythLegend posted:

Bro, I ask you with all seriousness, have you contacted an IG or at the very least a JAG? a real attorney

don't waste your time with legal assistance. First tour JGs who have been lawyers for 5 minutes.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Mr. Nice! posted:

Hey actus, need some pro bono work to fill in your downtime?

officially I'm not allowed to do pro bono...officially.

However, the ex issue...if you have the time and inclination, you could sue her. Especially if she admitted to lying about your "drinking problem." probably not worth the time though unless she has money.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

What about pro boner instead?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

SPACE HOMOS posted:

What about pro boner instead?

:rimshot:

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Lou Takki posted:

In my experience, most people don't join the Navy because everything in their life was going great. Usually plan A already failed/was terrible and the Navy is a Plan 'B' (or 'Z', whatever). I joined because I hosed up seriously in the civilian world and I was out of good options to pay the bills.

Oh, sorry, it wasn't meant as a blanket of "everyone in is crazy". Some are just manipulative assholes, others had no way to better their situation, and even some that saw it as a call to answer. I just see crazy most often, even out of the clinic.

Actus, is it because of possible conflict with like a case against the Navy and an office you end up with or something?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Pandasmores posted:

Oh, sorry, it wasn't meant as a blanket of "everyone in is crazy". Some are just manipulative assholes, others had no way to better their situation, and even some that saw it as a call to answer. I just see crazy most often, even out of the clinic.

Actus, is it because of possible conflict with like a case against the Navy and an office you end up with or something?

It's because I'm a state employee. I can give advice unofficially, but we aren't allowed to take on "clients" even pro bono ones because my time is the government's time, damnit. Taking on clients would mean having to go to court, deal with opposing counsel, file things etc. etc. and in theory, all my working hours time should be devoted to the interests of the state.

*goes back to posting on SA and watching Walking Dead on Amazon Prime*

Go to college, kids!

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I'm with MML. I think you should definitely go the congressional complaint route.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

vulturesrow posted:

I'm with MML. I think you should definitely go the congressional complaint route.

The problem with congressional complaints is that 99% of them will never be taken seriously.

Here's how most of them work:

1. Write to congressman.
2. Staffer intercepts.
3. Staffer attaches your letter to a 2 sentence form letter that basically says "My constituent is pissed off. Please do something."
4. Command JAG receives it and decodes it as "I have to pretend I give a poo poo about voters. Please do the bare minimum effort needed to pretend we give a poo poo."
5. JAG will draft a letter for the CO's signature explaining how reasonable the command's actions have been.
6. Congressman will forward you the letter.

Matter closed.

If your Congressman is on Appropriations or Armed Forces and you can actually get in touch with a member of their higher up constituent support staff, you may have better luck. (DC office only...the local offices are a whole lot of who gives a poo poo) But the dirty little secret is most Congressionals are not taken seriously, and Congress doesn't expect them to be.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

ActusRhesus posted:

If your Congressman is on Appropriations or Armed Forces and you can actually get in touch with a member of their higher up constituent support staff, you may have better luck. (DC office only...the local offices are a whole lot of who gives a poo poo) But the dirty little secret is most Congressionals are not taken seriously, and Congress doesn't expect them to be.

I'll have you know that my Congressman's family sent my family a christmas card.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Does 32lb 100% cotton paper get better eye time with the HR department? Should I even bother shotgunning physical resumes to my favorite prospects?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Angry Fish posted:

I'll have you know that my Congressman's family sent my family a christmas card.

If you actually KNOW your Congressman, that's a different story.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Pandasmores posted:

Yeah, I hear you. I was trying to agree with you mostly.

BovineAdapter
Jan 5, 2007
Dr3 Noodle

Analogical posted:

I went to mandatory rehab at Eisenhower. AMA

gently caress DAPA

So did I. Was only there for 30 days. That Command DAPA is the biggest fuckstick and more than worthless in that position.

The day I was released from the mandatory year of aftercare I started drinking again. No issues since. Eisenhower's program is the best in the military (from what I've heard). Too bad the Navy command there sucks huge balls.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Yeah, in general Congressionals are worthless, however occasionally one gains stream and something happens because of it. There's really no reason not to do it, especially since you're probably not really worried about any more blowback from the command.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

ManMythLegend posted:

Yeah, in general Congressionals are worthless, however occasionally one gains stream and something happens because of it. There's really no reason not to do it, especially since you're probably not really worried about any more blowback from the command.

yeah, the only reason NOT to do one is fear of retaliation (which is totally against DoD policy so would never ever happen...) but sounds like you can't get much worse off.

Just don't keep your hopes up...unless you actually know your rep or luck into a staffer who cares.

(Actually...come to think of it...PM me your home state...I've had to work with some staffers on some other things...they might have friends in your reps office.)

Analogical
May 20, 2013

BovineAdapter posted:

So did I. Was only there for 30 days. That Command DAPA is the biggest fuckstick and more than worthless in that position.

The day I was released from the mandatory year of aftercare I started drinking again. No issues since. Eisenhower's program is the best in the military (from what I've heard). Too bad the Navy command there sucks huge balls.

The DAPA can regularly be seen at the PX grabbing 24 packs of beer after COB, but will assure you it's not for him, because alcoholics never recover so obviously he isn't drinking still. I'm surprised you waited until the aftercare was up. Every single person in my group while I was there was drinking. They don't actually test for alcohol on the whiz quizzes and this tribal knowledge circulates quickly. I've been told Eisenhower's program is the best which makes me absolutely terrified of the others.

Also Actus has been helping me with the situation, and I appreciate that a lot. The stigma of going there in the first place is probably worse than the accusation itself. My very first day back was department quarters. Up to this point my situation wasn't well known, but my Chief did do me the favor of announcing to the department that I had just left rehab the day before and was "a changed man". Then everyone treats me like I'm fragile or makes jokes. "Sure you don't need a five minute break man? That's just enough time for a beer! hah"

Lou Takki posted:

Hoooly poo poo, good luck man. What are your plans for the future, if you don't mind sharing?

As far as options that would keep me in the Navy I'm trying to get my foot into a joint specwar assessment, it just means you have to really really swearsies you won't gently caress the team over at the first sight of a cold beer, and I understand the hesitance to pick someone up with that kind of concern especially when they deny having an issue which seems sketchy.

If they pass on me my plan is to get out and be a DoD contractor, so basically doing the same job just not in uniform. One of the better things about working DoD in the Navy is that you're regularly headhunted so after-employment isn't a concern as long as your clearance is good and you know how to spell your name.

For the most part I put all this behind me, but it still works me up when I think about it too much. My biggest regret will have been I never got to see a ship.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Analogical posted:

My biggest regret will have been I never got to see a ship.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

If you haven't gotten a resume together yet, there is a Goon-run resume company that did mine and it was loving amazing. - https://www.resumetointerviews.com - I'm pretty sure there is a discount code in the SA-mart somewhere too.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

The foot of my hotel is an ethnic center, and the only store is an H-Mart. It's been six months of food I don't understand. I had fried sea cucumber last month and threw up in the parking lot (they have a restaurant stand.. thing) Usually I can't read what I buy but Bacchus energy I couldn't pass up

Even their labels have accents

Analogical fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 12, 2014

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Pandasmores posted:

Weird, usually the TAD office handles the rehab stuff here. Their command should be taking care of the paperwork, since its their money being used depending on the stay. You definitely dont want a guy that demonstrated irresponsibility with a dui or going into treatment to better themselves handling stuff like that. DAPA handles setting up care, command gets them there, even across states if treatment isnt available at a Navy facility but is in a civilian one elsewhere.

Eh, it's different everywhere and this command has a real weird money situation (my job) and so it can be really inconsistent. I understand their confusion, it's just one of the few times I see sailors below the O-4/E-8 level. I'm completely separate from travel, though the way things are going I'm going to end up with it as a collateral eventually until I deny enough people's claims that they take it right back away.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

krispykremessuck posted:

Eh, it's different everywhere and this command has a real weird money situation (my job) and so it can be really inconsistent. I understand their confusion, it's just one of the few times I see sailors below the O-4/E-8 level. I'm completely separate from travel, though the way things are going I'm going to end up with it as a collateral eventually until I deny enough people's claims that they take it right back away.

Can't you just say it's not in your PD?

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

nwin posted:

Can't you just say it's not in your PD?

That's definitely not how that works. People think this about Civil Service, but uh, it's a snap to update a PD.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Analogical posted:

The foot of my hotel is an ethnic center, and the only store is an H-Mart. It's been six months of food I don't understand. I had fried sea cucumber last month and threw up in the parking lot (they have a restaurant stand.. thing) Usually I can't read what I buy but Bacchus energy I couldn't pass up

Even their labels have accents

:wth: :10bux::10bux: for a tiny thing of sushi? That poo poo better be made of some rare fish or something for it to cost so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analogical
May 20, 2013

That was on a pretty big container of sashimi I didn't get. there was probably 10 pieces or so.

koreans aren't loving around when they say something is spicy

• Locked thread