Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Zombie Samurai posted:

He's come a long way. His work on The Authority was atrocious.

Yeah his work at the turn of the century was a lot easier to complain about, but he's easily proven himself three times over as a master at his craft and if you don't like his faces well it's really your loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I don't think there were many, if any, potato faces in Pax Americana.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Reposting

Teenage Fansub posted:

DarkCrawler posted:

He's really horrible at drawing faces

Nope.

e:
and here's some Quitely toilet art for fun.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 25, 2014

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

:qq: But I can't jerk off to that...

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

Quitely's too busy doing bomb rear end poo poo like

to worry about your :airquote: pretty faces :airquote:

American Virgin had way better covers than it deserved.

Mr. Glum
Jul 28, 2008

Vincent posted:

American Virgin had way better covers than it deserved.

I don't remember finishing it, but I thought American Virgin was really good. :shrug: I mean, at the very least it had Becky Cloonan art.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Guys I don't wanna rock your world too much but it's perfectly okay to dislike one facet of a popular artist's work.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's also ok to call people out on being snobs.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Binary Badger posted:

same with Dillon, Infantino, Tan Eng Huat, etc..

Dillon's art is really bad.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

mind the walrus posted:

:qq: But I can't jerk off to that...

YOUR LOSS MAN :gizz:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

It's also ok to call people out on being snobs.

laffo

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

you stupid idiot snob fuckers i bet you jack it to the mona lisa!!!!!!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Lurdiak posted:

Dillon's art is really bad.

You should show rather than tell. :frogon:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Alouicious posted:

you stupid idiot snob fuckers i bet you jack it to the mona lisa!!!!!!

That legitimately made me wonder how many people at the Lourve get caught jacking it to the Mona Lisa every day.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

mind the walrus posted:

That legitimately made me wonder how many people at the Lourve get caught jacking it to the Mona Lisa every day.

Enough that they had to install a splash guard.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah his work at the turn of the century was a lot easier to complain about, but he's easily proven himself three times over as a master at his craft and if you don't like his faces well it's really your loss.

Even in that picture with barely any details, he manages to convey scale, something many comics artists don't even bother with.

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm a big fan of "acting" in comic books (especially when it's masked characters like Spider-Man) and the first issue of Captain America And The Mighty Avengers has some pretty good comic book performing as Peter tries to explain Spock to Luke Cage. Getting some Kevin Maguire vibes from this.

But then the rest of the issue is a sort of Greg Land lite monstrosity of possibly traced, sorta dull and flat-looking photorealist art by Luke Ross. Also the shadows are all really odd and make it look like everything's happening at dusk and every single scene is backlit.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Fun fact: That's Ka-Zar's brother.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

tenniseveryone posted:

I'm a big fan of "acting" in comic books (especially when it's masked characters like Spider-Man) and the first issue of Captain America And The Mighty Avengers has some pretty good comic book performing as Peter tries to explain Spock to Luke Cage.

"Acting" in comic books is one of my pet peeves because its always hammy and overdone. If a real person emoted that much during the course of a short conversation, you'd think he was absolutely insane. (this is not directed specifically at the Spider-Man scene, but at comic book emoting in general)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
One thing about Spider-Man is that he always comes off as completely hyperactive to me. He's stuck to a wall. He's walking on the ceiling. He's waving his hands around and talking a million miles a minute.

I could totally believe he emotes that much because he's the superhero who's defining feature is that he acts like he's just drunk a dozen energy drinks.

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Irish Joe posted:

"Acting" in comic books is one of my pet peeves because its always hammy and overdone. If a real person emoted that much during the course of a short conversation, you'd think he was absolutely insane. (this is not directed specifically at the Spider-Man scene, but at comic book emoting in general)

I probably should've specified when it's done well!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I always meant to check to see how this page from Thor 362:

looked in the recolored Thor omnibus, and seeing it posted in the Badass thread recently made me go look. I regret everything!

Yes yes, Steve Oliffe is a good colorist, but look at that poo poo. A basic-bitch gradient background smothered by a mass of even more gradients, that also manage to convey no sense of mood whatsoever except maybe "busy". That beautiful stark yellow and red contrast, directly opposed to each other, which just through the use of two colors solidifies the sense of a single, vulnerable man (he's effectively transparent!) versus a full, solid swarm of an army? Fuckin' wrecked.

edit: and just look how well the deep red skull, spear and outstretched arm originally popped against that yellow. :allears:

redbackground fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 9, 2014

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

redbackground posted:

Yes yes, Steve Oliffe is a good colorist, but look at that poo poo. A basic-bitch gradient background smothered by a mass of even more gradients, that also manage to convey no sense of mood whatsoever except maybe "busy". That beautiful stark yellow and red contrast, directly opposed to each other, which just through the use of two colors solidifies the sense of a single, vulnerable man (he's effectively transparent!) versus a full, solid swarm of an army? Fuckin' wrecked.

Maybe it's just the scan, but it doesn't look like the reproduction is doing John Workman's lettering any favors either. Making the lines crisper makes the letters thin and lacking the same personality that the printed comic had. I'm assuming that the lower boxes looking washed out is just from a bad scan, but if not, that's really bad.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Developments in printing capabilities are the worst thing to happen to comics.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

If the Big Two would release scanned back issues on comiXology, they would get so much more of my money than they do now. The recolored version of Amazing Fantasy #15 was interesting, but all their reprints of the Marvel Masterworks look like crap. They literally look like traces of the originals and it makes Kirby and Ditko look like they couldn't draw. I've rebought a few things, like the Roger Stern Spider-Man/Juggernaut story, but I know that that's not how those comics were supposed to look. Even when the line reproduction is pretty good, the colors are way over-saturated and the solid blocks of color look really weird without the ben-day dots. They did it once with the series DVDs that they released, so I don't know why they couldn't do it again, preferably this time without a big "@2005 Marvel" watermark on every page.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

tenniseveryone posted:

I'm a big fan of "acting" in comic books (especially when it's masked characters like Spider-Man) and the first issue of Captain America And The Mighty Avengers has some pretty good comic book performing as Peter tries to explain Spock to Luke Cage. Getting some Kevin Maguire vibes from this.

It's bugging me that his palms have vertical lines

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I loved that this part had one long Terry and the Pirates joke.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

From this week's Suicide Squad, art by Rob Hunter and Jeremy Roberts:

LOOK. AT. THAT. poo poo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's nice to see the artist who drew the Doom comic is still getting work.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Are that dude's weights tiny for the same reason The Wall is?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

It is supposed to be Deadshot (probably?) but all I can see is Jesse Ventura from Running Man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LazUZz3K6IY

Imagine somebody deciding to check the Suicide Squad comic after the movie announcement and seeing THIS

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Someone wrecked his shoulders/back so he can't raise his arms properly?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Waller's neck...

Also fire whoever is silkscreening shirts for Belle Reve.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

zoux posted:

Waller's neck...

In fairness, taken out of context, it could be the case that her head is gradually being wrenched upwards off her spine by a vengeful ghost.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I just love how the guy got totally ripped while lifting those little 2-pound ladies' hand weights that they usually rack near the yoga area.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

FMguru posted:

I just love how the guy got totally ripped while lifting those little 2-pound ladies' hand weights that they usually rack near the yoga area.

Maybe he's doing wrists curls, you're supposed to use light weights with that exercise.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Fallen Rib
What hurts my eyes the most is Deadshot's face in the second panel.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fix yo grill Floyd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

goatface posted:

Someone wrecked his shoulders/back so he can't raise his arms properly?

With that degree of hypertrophy going on it's amazing he can move his arms parallel to his torso at all.