Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Femur posted:

What about gerrymandering? Is that suppression or just bad system?

It's different from voting suppression but it's the same sort of thing: you're deliberately leveraging the system to attempt to produce undemocratic results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Joementum posted:

The White House just announced that it supports passage of the budget agreement. No veto threat. Not much room for Pelosi now.

Out-loving-standing.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

The two things that will turn people conservative are owning property and having kids.

Only the first. The second at most makes them more supportive of anti sex offender policies. Being that the first is less and less likely with millennial a we're covered.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I hate this country. I see that google has an opening for a java developer in their sweden office, maybe I should toss out a resume.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also I don't get why Democratic states would engage in "voter suppression" under that extremely loose definition. I don't think that it's the system that's keeping the third parties down; if every man and woman in America voted, the winners would still come from one of the two major parties.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

zoux posted:

The two things that will turn people conservative are owning property and having kids.

Having recently done both, it's only made me even more terrified of conservatism.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Mr Speaker,

I support this bill. Now let me not explain why I do and just spend two minutes thanking everyone under the sun rather than actually talk about the issues.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Banner week for Obama here.

Not terribly surprising since it was the Tea Party that saved us from his last godawful compromise.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Talmonis posted:

Having recently done both, it's only made me even more terrified of conservatism.

Give it time.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, "You're a good man, Santa." ~ Pete Sessions to Kerry Bentivolio.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Actually, I believe that owning property in this day in age is something to make you more scared of republicans if you know what they are actually doing, because you know that they are sabotaging the economy in any way they can and by owning property you are now one firing from possibly being unable to pay your mortgage and get your new house foreclosed upon using forged paperwork.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Everyone who is currently pissed at Obama, what would you have him do? Veto a bill funding the government, for a year, and then get pushed in to an even worse position once the 114th is sworn in? I'm genuinely curious.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rygar201 posted:

Everyone who is currently pissed at Obama, what would you have him do? Veto a bill funding the government, for a year, and then get pushed in to an even worse position once the 114th is sworn in? I'm genuinely curious.

Sure, he's backed into a corner, but that doesn't make the result any less lovely.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

zoux posted:

Give it time.

I didn't buy my house for the equity, or as an "investment". I bought it to have a place to live the way I wanted to. We live in a pretty integrated neighborhood with a school literally down the street. It's going to take more than home values going down when more minorites move in to get me to think tearing down the EPA is a good idea, or trust the police to be anything more than well dressed rednecks.

Rygar201 posted:

Actually come out against it. Say something. Call out the bullshit. It doesn't mean you have to threaten the Veto, but actually take a loving stand for once in his life.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The next 2 years really are going to be nothing but Obama signing whatever pile of poo poo the republicans throw at him as long as it doesn't gut the ACA. Amazing.

Prosopagnosiac
May 19, 2007

One of us! One of us! Aqua Buddha! Aqua Buddha! One of us!

Radish posted:

Banner week for Obama here.

Not terribly surprising since it was the Tea Party that saved us from his last godawful compromise.

So, Obama is saying that he would not veto this particular spending bill? What the gently caress is he thinking?! Also, is Harry Reid going to actually approve of this? Couldn't him and Senate Democrats make changes and then send it back to the lower house? Or is that being forfeited in exchange for some bullshit horse trade just so the Democrats are not quite as hosed when the new Republican Senate gets seated?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Rygar201 posted:

Even if that were his position, he could keep his loving mouth shut instead of undercutting his party's House leadership.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

saintonan posted:

Even if that were his position, he could keep his loving mouth shut instead of undercutting his party's House leadership.

It is not necessarily clear that Peloisi opposes this - she may see no better outcome but as the House Democrats have to face elections and Obama does not, wants Obama to be the bad guy here. Remember, this deal was negotiated by someone in the Democratic caucus in Congress, who signed off on it.

I don't know that that's what's happening, but you've got to remember the Democrats in Congress may not be as opposed to things in there as they'd like people to believe.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

saintonan posted:

No, no you see Obama is unable to take a stand on anything because

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Rygar201 posted:

Not be an awful person and veto the loving thing forcing republicans to cut some of this poo poo to get democrat votes.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

saintonan posted:

Why? What does the House leadership offer him? What can they do?

If the House doesn't pass this bill, where does that leave Obama? A temporary funding bill which pushes the problem into the next Congress that will go out of their way to gently caress it even more? At that point, with both houses of Congress likely passing a funding bill which is even more damaging than the current version, the inevitable shutdown won't be laid at the feet of the GOP, it'll be solely on the POTUS. Does that sound like a good idea to you?

He's hosed either way, so are we, and it's because we are a terrible electorate.

Boon fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 11, 2014

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

evilweasel posted:

It is not necessarily clear that Peloisi opposes this - she may see no better outcome but as the House Democrats have to face elections and Obama does not, wants Obama to be the bad guy here. Remember, this deal was negotiated by someone in the Democratic caucus in Congress, who signed off on it.

She is opposed to it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Not be an awful person and veto the loving thing forcing republicans to cut some of this poo poo to get democrat votes.

They won't do that they will shut down the government and blame it on the D's and because the D's are inept that poo poo will stick to them like it didn't to the GOP.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Zeitgueist posted:

Hey you wanted them to address the looming financial aid crisis, right?

Well in a strange way, this will help with the financial aid crisis. I mean, it helps the same way that you stop overpopulation by nuking a city, but less student loans + more strongarm debt collection will at least close the budget shortfall. Let's just get the national debt down to 0 so we can then cut congress in half and put it in the freezer.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Rygar201 posted:

Dissolve the government, call for new elections of all executive and legislative seats.

At this point just run with it, worst case is every branch being solid R, which still leaves us where we are now. Although, I'm pretty positive the president doesn't have that kind of power.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

pathetic little tramp posted:

Well in a strange way, this will help with the financial aid crisis. I mean, it helps the same way that you stop overpopulation by nuking a city, but less student loans + more strongarm debt collection will at least close the budget shortfall. Let's just get the national debt down to 0 so we can then cut congress in half and put it in the freezer.

They also decreased funding to the IRS.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

DrProsek posted:

Dissolve the government, call for new elections of all executive and legislative seats.

At this point just run with it, worst case is every branch being solid R, which still leaves us where we are now. Although, I'm pretty positive the president doesn't have that kind of power.

He doesn't, what the hell?

ssbbud
Jan 2, 2014
The Brennan presser opened with some Giuliani-level 9/11 talk.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

evilweasel posted:

I don't know that that's what's happening, but you've got to remember the Democrats in Congress may not be as opposed to things in there as they'd like people to believe.

I suspect at least 30-40 aren't very opposed to it at all. I'm really objecting to the timing more than anything else. There's plenty of time after this passes the House (assuming it does) and heads to the Senate for the White House to signal acceptance. Doing it while House Dems are still active seems like callousness at best.

Boon posted:

Why? What does the House leadership offer him? What can they do?

If the House doesn't pass this bill, where does that leave Obama? A temporary funding bill which pushes the problem into the next Congress that will go out of their way to gently caress it even more? At that point, with both houses of Congress likely passing a funding bill which is even more damaging than the current version, the inevitable shutdown won't be laid at the feet of the GOP, it'll be solely on the POTUS. Does that sound like a good idea to you?

The House leadership is the same party as the White House. If you're suggesting Obama should just say "gently caress everybody" and go rogue, then the next two years will be interesting, indeed.

As to your second point, a lot depends on what Senate rules go into effect. If it still essentially takes 60 votes to push something through the Senate, then Obama doesn't necessarily have to be alone on a political island. It may still end up that way, as EW says, if it's more politically expedient, but it's not inevitable.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Evil Fluffy posted:

This is a shocking and not at all expected move from Obama.
Wait what will this do again? And why does OBAMA support it?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Khisanth Magus posted:

I hate this country. I see that google has an opening for a java developer in their sweden office, maybe I should toss out a resume.

You should be making every attempt to get out of the US if you're able, because there's zero chance of seeing any improvement in your lifetime.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 11, 2014

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Boon posted:

This bill is pushing the problem into the next Congress, anyways. Which means that an even worse bill is assuredly going to be passed next time around. Since this is their last chance to take a stand, Democrats would have been well served by doing so here. Instead they proved they're just Republicans-lite.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
When was the last time a funding bill was signed with a minimum of fuss? I literally can't remember the last time the GOP didn't take the country hostage.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Joementum posted:

The White House just announced that it supports passage of the budget agreement. No veto threat. Not much room for Pelosi now.

Nice!

Filing away for the next time we do the "Obama is not actively bad just limited by realpolitik" dance.

Remember kids, we always have the option for full communism.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

You should be making every attempt to get out the US if you're able, because there's zero chance of seeing any improvement in your lifetime.
Pretty much. There will be small improvements over time, but the course of the country has been pretty blatant since the Reagan years. America just doesn't work when half the government is intentionally sabotaging itself to pillage the country.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

420DD Butts posted:

This bill is pushing the problem into the next Congress, anyways. Which means that an even worse bill is assuredly going to be passed next time around. Since this is their last chance to take a stand, Democrats would have been well served by doing so here. Instead they proved they're just Republicans-lite.

Yeah, next September when there is less time for ongoing fuckery and a larger spotlight leading into the 2016 campaigns.

And no, I'm not suggesting Obama go rogue. I'm suggesting that it is in Obama's and our best interest that this bill be passed before kicking the can to late-January and allowing the GOP to control what could be CR's surfacing every 3 months and an ongoing threat of shutdown.

What the hell is Obama supposed to say that hasn't already been said anyway? People have chosen their sides and they don't give a gently caress. You guys act like people already voting against their interests are just going to go "oh yeah Obama's right, I've been so stupid these last 4 years!"

Boon fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 11, 2014

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Rygar201 posted:

Yes? Keep vetoing the bills and hit the news channels stating how Congress is refusing to fund things they've already passed and that he's not going to help them sell out the country to their corporate backers.

He wouldn't do this because he's just as much of a whore as people like Boehner and if he doesn't end up to the right of HW Bush and closing in on Bush jr by the end of his 2nd term I'll be stunned. The next two years are going to be Obama signing off on GOP desires and having the Democrats take all of the blame for it. I can't wait to see a Republican win the White House in 2016 and the senate go nuclear on everything else so that we can be done with stupid claims like the Confederacy lost the civil war.

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Might seem like a nice guy, but cross me once...

Talmonis posted:

Agreed. If anything I'm further to the left than ever. I'd like my kids to have a future.

Khisanth Magus posted:

Actually, I believe that owning property in this day in age is something to make you more scared of republicans if you know what they are actually doing, because you know that they are sabotaging the economy in any way they can and by owning property you are now one firing from possibly being unable to pay your mortgage and get your new house foreclosed upon using forged paperwork.
This. Also Republican policies are terrible on people with debt. We need a little healthy inflation but all those chuckefucks love the economic stagnation and many love the idea of deflation.

Grater fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 11, 2014

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

You should be making every attempt to get out of the US if you're able, because there's zero chance of seeing any improvement in your lifetime.

The rest of the world isn't doing great either. The Anglosphere is currently heading right as fast as it can and the breaks don't work. Europe is in still politically chaotic due to economic crisis which isn't going away any time soon. The Scandinavian utopia countries are one bad election away from throwing everything they got right in the trash and joining the race to the bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Grouchio posted:

Wait what will this do again? And why does OBAMA support it?

It prevents a government shutdown and funds the government for another year, but has a lot of poison pill riders attached by Republicans, such as allowing more investment in coal-fired power plants, increase contributions limits to political party committees, and rolling back derivatives regulations in Dodd-Frank.

Obama supports it because it funds the government for an entire year, the government won't shut down tomorrow, and he thinks he will get a much worse deal when the Republicans get a 10 vote boost in the Senate and a 24 vote bump in the House. He's going to sign it because he thinks preventing a shutdown and getting a terrible deal is safer than risking a shutdown and possibly getting a worse deal in a month.

• Locked thread