Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

SwissCM posted:

I'd love Night Dive to get the rights to Powerslave and port the console version over to the PC, maybe clean it up a bit and add some of the stuff from the Build Engine version. Combine the strengths of all the different versions and make an ultimate edition of the game, essentially.
The BUILD engine used in Powerslave PC was very early (like, before slopes were implemented!) and the Slavedriver engine was all funky and Saturn-y (not sure how the PS1 port does stuff), so it'd be a loooot of work either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The Kins posted:

The BUILD engine used in Powerslave PC was very early (like, before slopes were implemented!) and the Slavedriver engine was all funky and Saturn-y (not sure how the PS1 port does stuff), so it'd be a loooot of work either way.

The PS1 version uses Slavedriver just like the Saturn version does, so it is possible to port it. It'd be a lot of work but it really is a fantastic game and it deserves to get a modern release on Steam.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

TerminusEst13 posted:

As for maps, I would be incredibly surprised (though infinitely grateful) if anyone actually said they were interested to assist with a small map-pack for this.

Dude. There's approximately THREE HOJILLION mappers in the Doom scene, and you just got Gameplay Mod Of The Year - a title which nobody seems to have questioned. I'd be amazed if people wouldn't be interested in doing one. Even Xaser loves it.

It really is a fantastic mod, and the barrier to entry would be so much lower if it had some official levels attached to it. Also, every game needs a Henshin button. Trufacts.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Dec 11, 2014

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

kmxexil posted:

The official Doom Wiki is still going strong three years after its transition,

My first thought was "wait, the doom wiki was presenting as male until recently?" Then after I realized I'm an idiot, my thought was "Wikia still shows up on top of search results though."

Jordan7hm posted:

It's been mentioned before but Doom almost seems like it attracts more content creators than consumers, at this point.

It's because the tools are so easy to use, pretty much everyone who plays will create at least a couple maps.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Linguica posted:

Yes, you need a PC from the last decade, sorry

But my iMac is brand new :confused:

Oh looks like there's an OS X release coming too, I think. God, I hope so.

Catalyst-proof fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Dec 11, 2014

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

Keiya posted:

My first thought was "wait, the doom wiki was presenting as male until recently?" Then after I realized I'm an idiot, my thought was "Wikia still shows up on top of search results though."

unfortunately this will probably take a very long time to get righted and there isn't a whole lot stopping the paid wikia editors from copying poo poo from the new wiki to the old one.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Even if you're using Bootcamp on a Mac you should be using Windows 7 at the very least. It's a straight upgrade over XP.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Even if you're using Bootcamp on a Mac you should be using Windows 7 at the very least. It's a straight upgrade over XP.

The insinuation that someone should install a Windows on their pristine Apple(R) Inc. iMac(TM) is disgusting and offensive.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
You're right, they should install Linux instead, but if they insist on Windows they should choose the best option.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Jordan7hm posted:

The only thing I'd have liked is a nod towards Obsidian somewhere. If 2014 was the year of the speedmap, he embodied that more than anyone. Countdown to Extinction wasn't award quality, but it was a good amount of fun, and the Abyssal Speed mapping Sessions have done a lot to contribute to the speedmapping renaissance.
Doom radio's 5in100 series did a lot for speedmapping the year before as well. But I see what you mean, I also would like to have seen a nod towards Obsidian and the Abyssal sessions (and not just because I took part in a few of them), even if I'm not a big fan of Obsidian's mapping style. The dude's output this year was pretty big!

I wish I'd played more wads this year, there's so much stuff released this year that I haven't tried out yet.

EDIT: actually, the Abyssal sessions will get a mention in a few days, it's just that alfonso hasn't got around to texturing the write up yet

an_mutt fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Dec 11, 2014

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

an_mutt posted:

I wish I'd played more wads this year, there's so much stuff released this year that I haven't tried out yet.

I'm basically in the same boat :-( Far too much to play, too much quality stuff, too many combinations of should I play map A with TC B or mod C.

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

Jordan7hm posted:

The only thing I'd have liked is a nod towards Obsidian somewhere. If 2014 was the year of the speedmap, he embodied that more than anyone. Countdown to Extinction wasn't award quality, but it was a good amount of fun, and the Abyssal Speed mapping Sessions have done a lot to contribute to the speedmapping renaissance.

actually I had a "year of the speedmap" list done up but in assembling everything it sort of fell thru the cracks, lol

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

horse mans posted:

Apple(R) Inc. iMac(TM) is disgusting and offensive.

:agreed:

kmxexii posted:

actually I had a "year of the speedmap" list done up but in assembling everything it sort of fell thru the cracks, lol

It took too much time?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
John Romero dumped a whole bunch more material from Doom on his Twitter. Of some real interest are unused sprites (bushes, shrubs, a pile of dead bodies, etc.), unused wall textures, and an unused sky background. Also, old pictures from 1994 of the id team, and evidence that there was a 16-color version of Wolfenstein 3D at some point in its development!

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Segmentation Fault posted:

Also, ... evidence that there was a 16-color version of Wolfenstein 3D at some point in its development!
We already had evidence of that, although I don't think we've seen any EGA Nazi sprites before.

Personally, I'm interested in that prototype Doom font. Obviously a bit too large for use in logging messages and the like, but still pretty cool to see.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
I had stumbled on most of that stuff in the past couple of weeks, actually, ironically enough. There's a bunch more that he might not have; the shotgun earlier in the thread for example. Really cool to see some of it get out, as I love seeing at all the in-development stuff from games those days.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

SwissCM posted:

I'd love Night Dive to get the rights to Powerslave and port the console version over to the PC, maybe clean it up a bit and add some of the stuff from the Build Engine version. Combine the strengths of all the different versions and make an ultimate edition of the game, essentially.

Only if they put the pixelated boobs from the PC beta back in!
It would be pretty hard to mix the two together, I guess a console nonlinear system on top of the PC's better levels + build engine would be good.

Also what's this "torpedo weapon" mentioned in the new strife release?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
It's the second mode of the mauler.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Segmentation Fault posted:

John Romero dumped a whole bunch more material from Doom on his Twitter. Of some real interest are unused sprites (bushes, shrubs, a pile of dead bodies, etc.), unused wall textures, and an unused sky background. Also, old pictures from 1994 of the id team, and evidence that there was a 16-color version of Wolfenstein 3D at some point in its development!

:stare:

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Doomguy is just barely able to keep from laughing in that pic.
Look at him, he's already bursting into a grin.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

I love this. And it looks like the Cyberdemon is shooting itself in the kneecap.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Flannelette posted:

It would be pretty hard to mix the two together, I guess a console nonlinear system on top of the PC's better levels + build engine would be good.
I'm not entirely sure the Build Engine would be a good fit. There's a very, very heavy amount of 3D floor usage out in the open.

Granted, I'm not 100% clear on the Build Engine's capabilities and limitations in that regard; I know it's much more capable than, say, the Doom engine, but it's not like this says much.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Shadow Hog posted:

We already had evidence of that, although I don't think we've seen any EGA Nazi sprites before.

Personally, I'm interested in that prototype Doom font. Obviously a bit too large for use in logging messages and the like, but still pretty cool to see.

The prototype font looks like it'd work for big characters for the menu screen. The New Game, Load Game, Save Game, etc.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Someone already made a WAD of it, apparently

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Linguica posted:

Someone already made a WAD of it, apparently

Is that monospaced I guess? The kerning looks awful.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

The guy who made it admitted he hadn't had time to do kerning, so I'm guessing so.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

This was used as a cover for some computer game mag in the early 90s.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Romereo said it was going to be Doom II's box art, so I'm glad we got the other one instead.

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

Elliotw2 posted:

Romereo said it was going to be Doom II's box art, so I'm glad we got the other one instead.

Well they used it for the Doom II preview video. I always wondered where that art came from.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

This bipedal pug is extremely angry!

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

nekoxid posted:

Well they used it for the Doom II preview video. I always wondered where that art came from.

I know I've seen that somewhere else before, too - maybe a magazine at the time or a strategy guide or something? It's super familiar.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zaphod42 posted:

There's a non-monospaced version now:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

superh posted:

I know I've seen that somewhere else before, too - maybe a magazine at the time or a strategy guide or something? It's super familiar.

Yes it was used for a magazine cover at the time, at least in the US. I don't remember what magazine.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

Link?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
You can grab it here but it's set up to replace the big font (used for map names etc.) rather than the small one, and is primarily intended as a modding resource.

Jimmy posted:

The new wad actually features three slightly different versions:

KCFONT = original (monospaced) font, unedited except for a new "6" provided by Xaser
KCFONTK = kerned properly, with vertical cropping, minor consistency edits
KCFONTK2 = same as above but with -1 kerning space

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I just want to say that it getting a Cacoward inspired me to finally try DemonSteele and holy poo poo is it super loving fun. Are there any specific mapsets that people would recommend with it?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jia posted:

I just want to say that it getting a Cacoward inspired me to finally try DemonSteele and holy poo poo is it super loving fun. Are there any specific mapsets that people would recommend with it?
Terminus mostly used Scythe 2 for testing. Scythe 1 works pretty drat well too, especially if you go "gently caress MAP FLOW" and allow yourself to use your increased mobility to cheat by jumping up to things and places you're not supposed to reach early.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

TOOT BOOT posted:

Yes it was used for a magazine cover at the time, at least in the US. I don't remember what magazine.

On my phone atm so I can't rehost but I found it - it was Computer Gaming Worlds Doom 2 cover.

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

This is really painful to read.:crossarms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
That might be the reason why they went for a totally different font in the end...