Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Does this show air in Argentina? I'd like to see them flip a poo poo over Corto Maltese not being recognized as Argentine territory.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JohnSherman posted:

Does this show air in Argentina? I'd like to see them flip a poo poo over Corto Maltese not being recognized as Argentine territory.

And the British wondering why they don't have it.

This is how you drop the mic:

Also, I would've been like "Hmmmm Ra's the man who killed Sara Lance is named...Barry Allen?"

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Ollie won't have any scars after the Lazarus Pit, right? Amell's got to be happy about all the prosthetics going away.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

They sailed up the St. Lawrence River, I guess, around the east coast, and then through the Panama Canal towards the Central Pacific. You know, your usual pleasure cruise on a yacht

It was your standard 3 hour tour

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

gently caress! Was not expecting that. Lose and be grievously injured, yes, but not stabbed to death and kicked off a cliff. Guess they are going to have Lazarus pits or some equivalent then. It's really embracing the comicbookness now. When is this show back?

Also Barrowman is excellent as always. How does someone look smug while being throttled?

Also also I love that it is customary that the combatants have to take their shirts off. It's just so blatantly arbitrary.

Oh, Felicity's line of "why does this always happen to me" was great. Apparently being CEO of Queen Consolidated compels people to be vigilante superheroes.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

sbaldrick posted:

I'm saying Oliver can turn a lesbian.

*I am not saying this will happen or should happen or can even happen in real life*

Sarah Lance was bisexual, and sexuality is a spectrum in general, not a binary switch, so many people who consider themselves gay may still seek out and enjoy opposite sex partners occasionally.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Accretionist posted:

Ollie won't have any scars after the Lazarus Pit, right? Amell's got to be happy about all the prosthetics going away.

Depends on how they do the pit. I'm guessing they're going to establish some ground rules for how the pits work, like that they only work for so long after someone dies. That way death won't be rendered meaningless on the show, and Oliver won't immediately try to bring back Sara, Tommy, or Moira.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

zoux posted:

Also, I would've been like "Hmmmm Ra's the man who killed Sara Lance is named...Barry Allen?"

Ra's would still easily kill Barry I feel, especially since they would be in an enclosed arena space and unlike Oliver Barry would 100% never kill the other person.
The move in this situation is to name drop Ray Palmer and get a bunch of your problems solved for you at once.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Maybe if people have been dead a while they come back all Pet Sematary. Ollie regrets dumping his big box of dead friends into a pit and has to spend a few episodes rounding up zombies.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sometimes...dead is bettah.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

zoux posted:

This is how you drop the mic:

I loved the fact that R'as seemed to find the whole deal vaguely tiresome and as though it was time taken away from his quilting project or something.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Was he praying in Arabic at the end? That prayer was metal as gently caress and now that's how I want to die.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

hcreight posted:

Depends on how they do the pit. I'm guessing they're going to establish some ground rules for how the pits work, like that they only work for so long after someone dies. That way death won't be rendered meaningless on the show, and Oliver won't immediately try to bring back Sara, Tommy, or Moira.

They'll have to Miracle Max it with, "There's a big difference between mostly-dead and all-dead."

evenworse username posted:

I loved the fact that R'as seemed to find the whole deal vaguely tiresome and as though it was time taken away from his quilting project or something.

Saying a quick prayer for him, though? Maybe he earned a trip to the Lazarus Pit with that last minute near-reversal.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I thought Predator was Val Verde?

drat, you're right. They all blend together.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

evenworse username posted:

You have to remember that, from his perspective, a lot of what he does is killing ignorant children. It's hard to get particularly jazzed about that. After the first century or so you probably just stop going "drat it, when will people learn?" and hang your head a bit lower as time goes on.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I did think that you could clearly see the stunt double's face a few times but that's what happens I guess when you are doing a fight scene in not almost total darkness.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

zoux posted:

I did think that you could clearly see the stunt double's face a few times but that's what happens I guess when you are doing a fight scene in not almost total darkness.

Yeah, I could totally tell that it wasn't Matt Nable a couple of times.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

College Rockout posted:

I liked how they subverted the whole power of love conquers all bit Ollie was doing this episode. When he said that he couldn't lose because he was fighting for Thea I rolled my eyes thinking it was going to be a terrible Ollie wins with the power of love ending. But nope, you can't power of love your way through Ra's al Ghul.

Tonight's project: recut that speech and the ensuing fight to Huey Lewis and the News

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Boogaleeboo posted:

You have to remember that, from his perspective, a lot of what he does is killing ignorant children. It's hard to get particularly jazzed about that. After the first century or so you probably just stop going "drat it, when will people learn?" and hang your head a bit lower as time goes on.

I dig how Ra's was quietly appalled this kid was challenging his League and he was going to have to murder him.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Bad Moon posted:

I dig how Ra's was quietly appalled this kid was challenging his League and he was going to have to murder him.

"It's been 67 years since anyone was stupid enough to challenge me. That's two of your lifetimes you IDIOT CHILD."

That plus the completely dispassionate way he just dismantled Oliver was amazing.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
I still loved the line from Ra's about not needing a weapon because he was just going to take Oliver's. Can't even call it arrogance because it was just fact.

I don't think that there is anybody in the Arrow-verse who is even on Ra's level (that we've seen at least). Too bad that they can't blatantly mention Batman though, it might have been neat to get some variation of a "I've fought better men then you" line from Ra's.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

imperialparadox posted:

I still loved the line from Ra's about not needing a weapon because he was just going to take Oliver's. Can't even call it arrogance because it was just fact.

I don't think that there is anybody in the Arrow-verse who is even on Ra's level (that we've seen at least). Too bad that they can't blatantly mention Batman though, it might have been neat to get some variation of a "I've fought better men then you" line from Ra's.

Barry could easily beat Ra's, lack of killer instinct might bite him in the rear end though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was so loving metal.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

imperialparadox posted:

Maybe not in a one on one duel with swords (or one on...6? That was pretty bad rear end but kind of cliche, maybe dont kill your dudes Ras). If only there were a way to put pointy things into a man from far away. That Oliver is skilled and familiar with.

Ahhh a pipe dream to be sure.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

imperialparadox posted:

"I've fought better men then you" line from Ra's.

You don't even need to go to Batman for that. Merlyn and Slade are canonically better trained than Oliver; Merlyn was trained by the League and beat Oliver two and a half times before Oliver got lucky. Slade trained Oliver and had super serum. Even after removing the Mirakuru, Slade had the upper hand for most of their duel.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

JohnSherman posted:

I'm from Argentina, and I can confirm that Arrow does indeed air here. No one has said anything about Corto Maltese, but I doubt anyone pays attention to the maps to begin with, I sure as hell don't.

McDragon posted:

Oh, Felicity's line of "why does this always happen to me" was great. Apparently being CEO of Queen Consolidated compels people to be vigilante superheroes.

Well, one became a supervillain instead (Isabel), but she was that even before being CEO of Queen Consolidated.

Boogaleeboo posted:

In fact, the moment he sees Oliver, he's surprised of how young he is. He expected someone older, but nope, the famed vigilante is just a 20-something dude with not even half of the life (and death) experience Ra's has.

Spacebump posted:

Barry could easily beat Ra's, lack of killer instinct might bite him in the rear end though.

Barry couldn't beat Oliver. Oliver couldn't beat Ra's. There's no way in hell Barry could beat Ra's, powers or not. He'd get killed faster than he can run.

MrFlibble posted:

Maybe not in a one on one duel with swords (or one on...6? That was pretty bad rear end but kind of cliche, maybe dont kill your dudes Ras). If only there were a way to put pointy things into a man from far away. That Oliver is skilled and familiar with.

Ahhh a pipe dream to be sure.

You mean the way that people that work for Ra's and are far less skilled than him have already shown they've been trained to stop?

Like, the sword duel was just following the code of conduct of the League of Assassins, but I'm pretty sure even with a bow Oliver wouldn't manage much in this situation. Ra's could easily stop his arrows, and he won't be caught twice by trick arrows. And I'm pretty sure that this is the one villain (that we've seen, anyways) that can take said trick arrows once.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Blaze Dragon posted:

Barry couldn't beat Oliver. Oliver couldn't beat Ra's. There's no way in hell Barry could beat Ra's, powers or not. He'd get killed faster than he can run.

Yeah, Ra's has elite plot armor against people you would think should be able to kill him. Hell, Captain Cold was able to one-up Barry easily.

Also these flashback lessons in convenient chronological order are getting out of hand.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Blaze Dragon posted:

Barry wasn't himself then and it looks like he may be more powerful now. Without him, Oliver would have been taken out by Captain Boomerang.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

If Ollie said, "The guy you want is Barry Allen!" and then got on his cell phone and said to Barry, "Hey, there's this super skilled assassin and I kinda... told him you murdered my ex-girlfriend who was his right-hand woman. Anyhoo, he's going to be at your place in about an hour. Just challenge him to a duel and then punch him in the face a few hundred times. C'ya next time I want to bang Iris." Ra's wouldn't have a clue what he was getting into and would be KO'ed before he could blink. Now if Ra's knew what Barry could do, then the advantage is definitely Ra's's but even then he wouldn't be able to win in a "fair" fight (or as fair as you can get when one guy can run to the nearest department store, buy some tighty-whities, put them on the other guy, and then give him a wedgie in the time it takes to throw a punch).

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

I sort of imagine Barry thinking that he could beat Ra's because he's fast, but Ra's using that against him by basically doing a move that causes Barry to impale himself. Mainly because Barry isn't a really great fighter, he's hella fast.

I want to see Black Driver just shoot Ra's with a gun though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I realize this is the "who would win in a fight" argument that the writers just made fun of last week, but Ra's plays by the same rules that let Batman win in a fight against everyone, including Superman and gods and poo poo

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So how does Atom....work? Does he wear the suit, shrink down and then travel around inside people like the magic school bus?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Valeyard posted:

So how does Atom....work? Does he wear the suit, shrink down and then travel around inside people like the magic school bus?

I don't think that's going to happen. The working theory is that they showrunners wanted Ted Kord/Blue Beetle for that slot but DC said no for some reason so they hastily adapted Ray Palmer to the role.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
The foot is Shiva, welcome to the next level of badass trainer Ollie.

Nah it's Barrowman and we'll spend episodes waiting for Ollie to get resurrected then find out Merlyn did it like five minutes after the death and locked Ollie up in his own prison. Deathstoke, Captain Boomerang and Green Arrow buddy comedy escape ensues, some other guys from Sparticus show up because why the gently caress not?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Valeyard posted:

In the comics, his belt contained a material that let him shrink down and manipulate his mass. So he would do things like make himself a millimeter tall, get blown around, and then increase his mass to drop on bad guys with his full weight. Ray Palmer was a college professor and after the silver age has been presented as not the most stable of characters with a tendency to withdraw from the world.

On the show... who knows? They seem to be going for more of an Iron Man thing (even more than Blue Beetle; only a recent Blue Beetle had any kind of power armor and his came from aliens). I'm looking forward to seeing if they do anymore more with it than that.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Random Stranger posted:

Ra's wouldn't have a clue what he was getting into

Ra's is like that dude who used logic to figure out where Ollie's secret hideout was in the Cupid episode. "You are telling me that even though a guy wearing a lightning bolt on his chest showed up immediately after Barry Allen came out of his coma with no side effects from being hit by a lightning bolt, none of you suspected it was him? *sigh*". And then he'd walk straight up to Barry and snap his neck from behind.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Valeyard posted:

He is pretty blatantly Ted Kord. I don't think shrinking will ever be part of his powerset, all we got was that explanation of how he "shrank" military technology so he can fit a shitload into his suit. And I am actually cool with it.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

zoux posted:

I don't think that's going to happen. The working theory is that they showrunners wanted Ted Kord/Blue Beetle for that slot but DC said no for some reason so they hastily adapted Ray Palmer to the role.

The way Ray was talking about the suit in last night's ep, it sounded like shrinking would happen.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hcreight posted:

The way Ray was talking about the suit in last night's ep, it sounded like shrinking would happen.

I took that as more of a justification for why he's the Atom (see! he shrinks stuff! That's the connection!) than that he'd actually shrink. Just because what looks cool on the page doesn't necessarily translate to the screen.

But I don't care, Routh is killing it so hard he could be playing any character at all and I'd give it a pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Yeah I don't think that he will literally shrink, I think that Palmer was more talking about miniaturizing weapons and gadgets so that they could all fit on his suit.

• Locked thread