Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Related to diary and Queensland chat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGHT-PpRFE0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
A shirtfront joke has hit the towers http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...t-1227152393840

quote:

“All I can say is, shirtfront must have translated well in Ukraine,” Mr Abbott joked.

He then offered to sell uranium to a government whose ministers publicly stated that they want to nuke Moscow.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
“Our democracy is inspired by the gospel insight that every human being is born with equal rights and dignity in the eyes of God, and justice is inspired by the gospel insight that each of us should treat others as we would have them treat us in turn.” ffffffffffffffffuck off

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
I think he got mixed up on who the goodies and baddies were in the nativity story.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

So Adelaide groons, I neglected doing Greens stuff the last six months due to being crazy busy with finishing up university, is there anything going on at the moment I should get in on? If not I'll just go hit up the local branch meetings when they're next on and try and get back into things.

Firetrick
Aug 4, 2006

There's a few things that can affect milk taste between brands, the main ones being how well the milk is kept cold, and what the animals are fed.

If your milk is selling at a premium because it's organic, you can afford to treat it better. Regular cows milk at the moment is worth jack poo poo though.

Bath milk sells for triple the price of regular milk so I'm not surprised companies are willing to sell it. It's not illegal to sell raw milk to consumers in NSW or QLD but its incredibly risky business. I get a lot of calls from customers asking for raw milk in Victoria, and universally tell them its 1. Illegal and 2. A really bad idea.

Gorilla Salad posted:

I'm guessing that them ethically not sending the male calves off to slaughter is more, 'we sell them at market to other farmers, don't know what they're going to do with them, nossiree. Don't know why they're licking their lips so much, either.'

This is a common issue with customers who seem to think its feasible for a dairy to raise 50% male stock. Apparently killing it after a couple years is so much better than after a day.

Firetrick fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 11, 2014

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

:shepicide:

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

what's wrong with that?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

Thread, I cannot believe, I CANNOT BELIEVE, that you have made this comic relevant.

Thank you, thread.

The next two pages are slightly potentially possibly NSFW, so here's a link.

I was wondering how long it would take before you posted this. Never stop Chicken Parmigiana.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Thread, I cannot believe, I CANNOT BELIEVE, that you have made this comic relevant.

Thank you, thread.

lol this is fantastic

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Ah memories

quote:

The Green-Left critics and Fairfax Media and ABC sympathisers badly underestimated John Howard. They are making the same mistake with Mr Abbott. Rather than sealing its demise, this first Abbott-Hockey budget gives the Coalition a strong sense of purpose and a serious reform agenda that, in the medium term, could sideline its opponents. The Australian believes most voters will embrace the budget repair task, so long as the government brings them along in the discussion.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Kommando posted:

what's wrong with that?

Yeah, let's put up war memorabilia with xenophobic graffiti opposite all our schools. I am convinced that school children will all understand the context of the message and definitely not just internalise the racist attitudes it would represent. There is certainly no danger of them linking it to racist attitudes found in the present day!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

“Our democracy is inspired by the gospel insight that every human being is born with equal rights and dignity in the eyes of God, and justice is inspired by the gospel insight that each of us should treat others as we would have them treat us in turn.” ffffffffffffffffuck off

And that's why we have to torture to death any brown skinned person who tries to come here.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

In a further attempt to disintegrate any vestiges of reality left in federal politics, Tony Abbott has accused elements of the coalition of sexism where they have criticised and blamed Peta Credlin for the LNP's woeful state

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

cpaf posted:

In a further attempt to disintegrate any vestiges of reality left in federal politics, Tony Abbott has accused elements of the coalition of sexism where they have criticised and blamed Peta Credlin for the LNP's woeful state

:fork:

He's done.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Lid posted:

He's done.

The other point I make, do you really think that my chief of staff would be under this kind of criticism if her name was P-E-T-E-R as opposed to P-E-T-A?"

When asked whether that was a direct message to his colleagues, Mr Abbott responded: "I think people need to take a long, hard look at themselves with some of these criticisms."

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Mike Carlton posted:

As attorney general, with his little plastic "QC" tacked on, Brandis is truly the intellectual equal of a dropped pie.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Thank you, thread.

holy poo poo

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
A political lesson that Kevin Rudd and Tony Abbott both failed to learn is the public, above all else, wants conviction in their political beliefs. Abbott finds himself now doing the very thing he railed against Gillard for, with even less of a basis, of appealing to misogyny and sexism. If you stand for nothing no one will stand with you.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Gough Suppressant posted:

Yeah, let's put up war memorabilia with xenophobic graffiti opposite all our schools. I am convinced that school children will all understand the context of the message and definitely not just internalise the racist attitudes it would represent. There is certainly no danger of them linking it to racist attitudes found in the present day!

And that's why we have to torture to death any brown skinned person who tries to come here.

Was this in the youtube vid? Since the images didnt show anything overtly bad.

:fork: forkwaggoning for the Mysoginistic Minister for Women calling the vipers nest that he sits atop sexist.
Tone deaf. You live in your own world.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Kommando posted:

Was this in the youtube vid? Since the images didnt show anything overtly bad.

:fork: forkwaggoning for the Mysoginistic Minister for Women calling the vipers nest that he sits atop sexist.
Tone deaf. You live in your own world.

"Bring on the towelheads" on an artillery barrel isn't overtly bad?

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

I think the bigger problem is that nobody is driving the cars.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Senor Tron posted:

So Adelaide groons, I neglected doing Greens stuff the last six months due to being crazy busy with finishing up university, is there anything going on at the moment I should get in on? If not I'll just go hit up the local branch meetings when they're next on and try and get back into things.

Too bad you missed the end of year drinks last week. There will be a ton of things to do for the Davenport by-election if you're keen to get involved with campaigning (especially if you like putting up corflutes).

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Senor Tron posted:

In addition to stuff for Davenport, might be also worth locking in a date next month for a Goonmeet at the Wheaty.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
NewsCorp headline

quote:

Tony Abbott is crying sexism?

No spin. They're just bamboozled.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
What a great day for news

General practitioner clinics could be located in NSW hospitals to stop people who want to avoid a $5 co-payment from flooding emergency departments.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-12/nsw-gp-clinics-could-be-located-in-hospitals-to-prevent-strain/5961508

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

"Bring on the towelheads" on an artillery barrel isn't overtly bad?

I couldnt read that on my phone.
i thought they were just posing with some memorial gun in a town square.

And im not surprised at this behavior now, five in six of the people in my reserve unit had this attitude.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Was it Full Frontal that had the "Only in Queensland" ad commercial parodies featuring KKK members frolicking on the beach?

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Lid posted:

NewsCorp headline

No spin. They're just bamboozled.

Has been revised.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
OK before I go on to question NTATA's veracity on several other issues. Here's just how much we have 'STOPPED THE BOATS":

https://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/25740615/un-rights-chief-slams-indifference-over-migrant-deaths-at-sea/ Forgive the source.

quote:

UN rights chief slams indifference over migrant deaths at sea

December 11, 2014, 2:19 am

Geneva (AFP) - The UN's human rights chief on Wednesday condemned rich nations for their indifference to waves of global migration, after new figures showed more than 3,400 people died in the Mediterranean this year trying to reach Europe. "The lack of concern that we see in many countries for the suffering and exploitation of such desperate people is deeply shocking," UN High Commissioner Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein said at the start of talks on the issue in Geneva. He added: "Rich countries must not become gated communities, their people averting their eyes from the bloodstains in the driveway."

:siren: A record 348,000 migrants and refugees:siren: took to leaky boats this year in search of a better life in Europe, South-East Asia, the Caribbean and the Middle East, 4,272 of them dying in the process, according to the UN refugee agency.
Most of these were in the Mediterranean, where more than 207,000 made the crossing since January, almost three times the previous high of 70,000 during the Libyan civil war in 2011. A record 3,419 lost their lives. For the first time in decades, almost half of those hoping to make it to Europe are refugees rather than economic migrants, including 60,051 Syrians and 34,561 Eritreans. Others -- men, women and children -- are being driven by lack of jobs, food and water, as well as natural disasters.

"If entire families are risking their lives at sea today, it's because they have already lost everything else and see no other option to find safety," said the UN's High Commissioner for Refugees Antonio Guterres. "In their place we would probably do the same thing," added Zeid.

- 'Sea of death' -

Many of those crossing the Mediterranean are towed on overcrowded boats behind "mother ships", which abandon them miles off the coast of Italy to sink or be rescued. The Italian navy saved about 160,000 people under its Mare Nostrum search-and-rescue operation, which ran between October 2013 and October this year, admiral Giuseppe De Giorgi told delegates.Rome ended the operation after fellow EU nations refused to help fund it, handing over to a more limited EU-run search and rescue mission known as Triton.

Some critics argued that saving the migrants was simply encouraging them to try their luck.

De Giorgi, the commander of the Italian navy, said his forces would continue to pursue smugglers. "The Mediterranean Sea must not become a sea of death," he told delegates, calling for tougher measures against traffickers as well as more help for destination countries.

- Address the root causes -

Guterres convened the two-day meeting involving governments, NGOs and shipping groups in a bid to find ways to stop so many people taking to the seas.He said cracking down on traffickers was not enough -- efforts must also increase to address the reasons why people are fleeing their homes, and to improve the official channels through which they can move countries. An arc of conflict around Europe's southern, eastern and southeastern borders, in Libya, Ukraine, Syria and Iraq, is one reason so many people are heading to the continent.

At the same time anti-immigration rhetoric is growing across the EU, fuelled by concerns about faltering economic growth and prompting calls for tougher border controls."At a time when an unprecedented number of people are forced to flee conflict and persecution across the world, barring them from accessing protection further afield is the opposite of what is needed," Guterres warned. He said: "Any effective response must also address the root causes of this phenomenon."

While the Mediterranean is the most deadly route, it is by no means the only one.

At least 242 people died in the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden out of 82,680 people making the journey, most of them travelling from Ethiopia and Somalia to Yemen or onwards to Saudi Arabia or the Gulf states, the UNHCR said. About 540 people also died this year crossing the Bay of Bengal, out of a total of 54,000 making the journey, while another 71 deaths out of 4,775 crossings were reported in the Caribbean, the UNHCR said.
So we didn't 'STOP THE BOATS' we just moved them like so much unwanted refuse onto the neighbour's driveway. This showed the world just how much we truly care about their welfare.

I sincerely hope this gets wide enough circulation to demonstrate to everyone who isn't a psychopath that our current thinking is wrong and needs to be critically addressed. I especially note the call for tackling xenophobic backlashes in countries receiving refugees. You know the poo poo that far too many politicians of both stripes in our country have been exploiting for shallow electoral gain.

So first lets look at the report into the management of Manus Island leading to the death of Reza Barati

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-11/violence-at-manus-eminently-foreseeable-senate-report/5960752

quote:

Reza Barati death: Senate committee report says violence at Manus Island was 'eminently foreseeable'

By political correspondent Emma Griffiths Updated about 10 hours ago Thu 11 Dec 2014, 11:14pm

The violence at the Manus Island detention centre in February that resulted in the death of an Iranian asylum seeker was "eminently foreseeable" according to a Senate committee report. The committee, dominated by Labor and Greens senators, recommended the Government pay compensation to the victims, although that has been rejected by Coalition MPs on the committee. The Senate's Legal and Constitutional Affairs References Committee today released its report into the incidents that led to the death of 23-year-old Iranian man Reza Barati. About 70 asylum seekers were injured, some seriously, in what the Government described as a "disturbance" on Manus Island. The committee blamed the vexed process for assessing asylum claims and a "massive influx" of single adult males to the centre after Labor prime minister Kevin Rudd announced the offshore-resettlement policy.

"The centre was transformed from a mixed facility into a single adult males facility and experienced a massive influx of new transferees, reaching more than double the initial intended capacity of the centre in the space of approximately 12 weeks," the report said. It also found the Government "failed in its duty" to protect the asylum seekers and that there were violations of human rights that warranted compensation for Mr Barati's family and to those who were injured.

Immigration Minister Scott Morrison released a statement blaming the policies of the previous government.

Questions arose earlier this year as to whether Australia is responsible for asylum seekers on Manus Island after violence that killed a man and injured others. "Labor and the Greens have used their report as a blatant attempt to whitewash their own failures in government," he said. "The Coalition Government inherited a centre on Manus Island which was underfunded and incomplete, and resettlement arrangements were little more than a blank sheet of paper. "Cost, chaos and tragedy was the order of the day under Labor and the Greens. This is no longer the case under the Coalition Government."

Government senators on the committee also stated they did not agree with the recommendation to compensate victims because it "pre-supposes that human rights have been violated".

They also dissented over a recommendation to give UN representatives, lawyers and journalists access to the centre, arguing Papua New Guinea was a sovereign nation and "it would not be appropriate ... for Australia to seek to dictate who can visit their territory".
There aren't words.

Well yes there are plenty in fact. How about this damning report Scotto?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-12/medical-staff-treating-asylum-seeker-advocating-for-detainees/5962106

quote:

Leaked Immigration document reveals disagreements with detention centre doctors
By Jason Om - exclusive Updated 35 minutes ago Fri 12 Dec 2014, 9:35am

The Immigration Department believed medical staff contracted to take care of asylum seekers were advocating too strongly for detainees and it preferred doctors who complied with the government's wishes, a leaked report reveals. The frank confidential assessment by officials within the Immigration Department is contained in a draft consultant report obtained by the ABC amid claims the department has often overridden medical advice. The findings are based on a meeting of eight senior bureaucrats from the department's offshore and health divisions who were asked in July this year to provide their views about the performance of contractor International Health and Medical Services (IHMS). IHMS commissioned consultancy firm AMR to produce the report while it renegotiated a $900 million contract to provide medical services on Nauru and Manus Island. This week, the department announced it had renewed the five-year contract with IHMS at an undisclosed sum.

Company 'risk averse' and 'advocating for transferees'

According to the leaked report, the department told IHMS the contract would be at risk if its complaints were not urgently addressed. "The department were clear that the current status quo is unlikely to be accepted ongoing and if some or all of the key issues are not addressed then the department will need to look at other options," the report said. Among the long list of complaints, the department said: "IHMS are seen to be risk averse and advocating for transferees beyond the services IHMS is contracted to deliver. The procedures being recommended were excessive and outside of the contract requirements," the report said.

The report also revealed the department was frustrated by IHMS medical advice to transfer detainees to the mainland. IHMS often recommended transferring detainees to Australia, which "places the department in a difficult position as it is very difficult to reverse a medical recommendation once made. Discussion ensued on whether this is the result of IHMS advocating or being overly conservative." To address the problem, the department said: "IHMS should recruit people who are able to follow the government requirements in the contract"(eg Pyschopaths).

"IHMS need to ensure medical staff who do reviews are not against Offshore Processing Centres (OPCs)," the report said. The department pointed to an example of a psychologist who "regularly deemed transferees were not fit to return to an OPC". Earlier this year, the Australian Human Rights Commission inquiry into children in detention heard evidence from doctors that the department would often ignore medical advice and had tried to cover up the extent of mental health problems in immigration detention. 'Incorrect, incomplete information' frustrated department

The leaked report also outlined the department's frustration with information provided by IHMS that was "incorrect, incomplete or not understood". The department also said IHMS relied "too heavily on medical terms". "This has significant implications for the department given the political sensitivities around OPCs," it said. The department said at least one clinical report had "large pieces of information missing". "One of the reports related to a transferee who died in custody which put the department in a difficult situation as there was not sufficient information available to understand the situation."

The report does not name the detainee but it may relate to Iranian asylum seeker Reza Barati who died during the riot on Manus Island. A spokeswoman for IHMS would not be drawn on whether IHMS had modified its practices in response to the department's complaints and said the draft did not represent any final report. Despite the draft report's findings, Immigration Minister Scott Morrison maintained his department was satisfied with the performance of IHMS. "It is clear the department has been able to resolve any issues regarding the service provider over the course of the tender process," Mr Morrison said. "IHMS has been selected as the preferred tenderer and the Minister is confident the department would not have reached that view if they were not confident of the service that is being provided. "The Minister's expectation is that IHMS would do their job and the department would do its job. Their obligations and responsibilities are clear and the Minister expects them to be adhered to," he said.
Nothing like fair and impartial. Nothing about a billion dollars in blood money can't fix!

But wait there's more!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-11/indigenous-recognition-vote-could-be-delayed-pm-says/5962010

quote:

Prime Minister wants vote on Indigenous constitutional recognition on 50th anniversary of 1967 referendum
By political reporter Eliza Borrello Updated about 2 hours ago Fri 12 Dec 2014, 7:33am

Prime Minister Tony Abbott says he is ready to "sweat blood" to achieve constitutional recognition for Indigenous people. At a fundraising dinner for the RECOGNISE campaign in Sydney on Thursday the PM said he would like the referendum on whether to recognise Indigenous people in the constitution to happen on the 50th anniversary of the 1967 referendum. "I hope that it might happen on the 50th anniversary of the 1967 referendum, May 27, 2017. That would be a richly symbolic time to complete our constitution," he said. "But I do not want it to fail because every Australian would be the loser. "It is more important to get this right than to try to rush it through. "We will get constitutional recognition and, when it comes, I suspect that it will take the form of a pact, a heartfelt pact between Indigenous people and conservative Australia," he said.

Mr Abbott also announced another $5 million funding for the RECOGNISE campaign.

"I am prepared to sweat blood on this," he said. "This is at least as important as any of the other causes that this Government has been prepared to take on. "I want this to happen, I want this to happen as quickly as it can."

Opposition Leader Bill Shorten also addressed the dinner and put pressure on the Government to release the form of words the referendum question will take. "If we were crafting our constitution in 2014 we would not accept the omission of the first 400 centuries of our national history from our national definitive document," Mr Shorten said. "I believe that without a form of words to explain, without that arresting, rallying cry, without a specific change to advocate, it is just not possible to raise awareness beyond the abstract. "Without a concrete proposal, we cannot turn the national goodwill into meaningful momentum."
Note this is the man who rejoiced in the defeat of the Republican referendum due entirely to a 'stacked' deck question devised to neuter public opinion (which was universally pro-republic). I'm calling NTATA's Indigenous focus a false flag operation. I never hear the words agency and culture in anything he says and it has become apparent that it is of the same nature as the Australian's focus on First people's issues: Comprehensive reporting means you can throw a lot of poo poo out there and fully represent the victim blaming team view.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

quote:

NSW

Press Council adjudication
THE DAILY TELEGRAPH
DECEMBER 12, 2014 12:00AM

THE Press Council has considered whether its Standards of Practice were breached by material published on the front page of The Daily Telegraph on 22 May, 2014 relating to the Disability Support Pension (DSP).

The material included a large headline “Slackers & Slouch Hats” above which was a secondary heading “NSW Disability Support Pensioners now outnumber Australia’s total war wounded by more than 44,000”. Alongside the headline was a single sentence of text reading: “The state’s army of disability pensioners has hit record levels with NSW’s tally of DSP claimants soaring almost 20,000 in the past 3 years to 270,415, outnumbering Australia’s war-wounded by more than 44,000.” It was followed by a small note: “FULL REPORT PAGES 8-9”.

Above this material were two large photographs presented in a way which reflected the invitation to draw the comparison made in the secondary heading. One photograph showed a queue of about twenty people, none of whom had an apparent disability. Superimposed were the words “NSW DSP Recipients: 270,415”. The other was a well-known and striking photograph of a severely wounded soldier being helped to walk through the jungle of Papua New Guinea during World War II. Superimposed were the words “Nation’s war wounded: 226,016”.

Australian Press Council
After receiving a complaint about the front page, the Council asked the publication to comment on whether the material breached the Council’s Standards of Practice, including those relating to accuracy, fairness and balance, and to not causing greater offence than is justifiable in the public interest.

The publication said the front page headline was intended to summarise the coverage in that particular edition of the newspaper, which also included articles on later pages and an editorial. It said that the front page and other material was also intended to encourage public debate on whether too many people were receiving DSP at excessive cost to taxpayers, which were matters to which the Federal Government had been drawing attention.

The publication said the headline and other material on the front page did not suggest all DSP recipients are “slackers” or undeserving of assistance, and in its editorial the publication had accepted that not all recipients were undeserving. It said the comparison between the numbers of these recipients and the numbers of war-wounded people was valid and fair, especially as a way of stimulating public debate.

The publication also said that the photograph of a queue was intended merely to show a large number of people and it had not been stated or implied that the people in the queue had disabilities or were DSP recipients. It said use of a photograph of such people had been deliberately avoided. It said the vast majority of its readers would have understood that it was not intending to offend them, and would not have been offended.

Conclusions:

The Council considers that the headline and other material on the front page collectively imply that a high proportion of DSP recipients are “slackers” and should not be receiving DSP. This implication is due partly to the fact that the comparison in the words prominently superimposed on the two photographs, and in the article on the front page, was between the full number of war-wounded people and the full number of DSP recipients. The implication is also contributed to by the stark contrast between the apparently able-bodied people in the queue and the severely wounded soldier. The impact of the front page presentation was not adequately dispelled by any of the material that appeared on subsequent pages and evidence provided did not justify the implication. Accordingly, the Council has concluded that the headline, headings and text on the front page breached the Standards of Practice requiring reasonable steps to ensure accuracy and fairness.

The Council also considers that the implication that a high proportion of DSP recipients are “slackers” and should not be receiving DSP was offensive to an extent not justified by the public interest. Accordingly, the material also breached the Standards of Practice on that ground.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Political correctness GONE MAD imo

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Cartoon, aren't you concerned that those articles will in fact be made to use the exact opposite point? Other countries have bodies washing up on their shores because they do not have the moral fortitude to institute a regime of torture and death to discourage people from seeking passage by boat?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Tornhelm posted:

You tried Nuskope? Their wireless covers Mawson Lakes and is 12/1Mbps.

Never even heard of them! I'm happy with my current connection though, it was just a pain to get it sorted out initially. If you live on the wrong street in this suburb you will be stuck with wireless/satellite. It's bananas.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Imo the image accompanying any story about Tony's claims of sexism should be him standing in front of the sign that reads "Julia Is Bob Brown's Bitch"

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

"Discussion ensued on whether this is the result of IHMS advocating or being overly conservative."

To address the problem, the department said: "IHMS should recruit people who are able to follow the government requirements in the contract".

"IHMS need to ensure medical staff who do reviews are not against Offshore Processing Centres (OPCs)," the report said.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Cartoon, aren't you concerned that those articles will in fact be made to use the exact opposite point? Other countries have bodies washing up on their shores because they do not have the moral fortitude to institute a regime of torture and death to discourage people from seeking passage by boat?

Exactly what I was thinking, the easiest view is 'well they need to follow our successful lead and stop the boats'.

Watch as Australia becomes an international human rights paragon for the 21st century.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

katlington posted:

"Discussion ensued on whether this is the result of IHMS advocating or being overly conservative."

To address the problem, the department said: "IHMS should recruit people who are able to follow the government requirements in the contract".

"IHMS need to ensure medical staff who do reviews are not against Offshore Processing Centres (OPCs)," the report said.

I don't think any medical doctors are stupid enough to not be against OPCs.

Every office I've been to has some material up on the wall about how they support humane treatment of refugees.

Hippocratic Oath, anyone?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Residents of a new suburb in Ballarat have caused council to stop it being called Mullawallah after a local indigenous leader, claiming it would be both too hard to pronounce and spell, and also too easily confused with other place names in Australia. :allears:

"Residents suggested to 'anglicise' the proposed name, and expressed simply 'not liking' the name."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

It honestly didn't occur to me that a precisely analogous situation to the one which caused Australia to assist in the drafting of the refugee convention would have proponents of our terrible policies attempt to spread the contagion.

I still don't see how it can't be used to convince my stated target audience (non-psychopaths) of the actual failure of the Morrison policy. And I specifically noted the reported need to combat xenophobic reactions included in the article.

Haters gonna hate?

Still I will now increase the gearing in my cynicism and have commenced a countdown to the press release from DIBP that encourages other nations to pour boiling oil onto maritime arrivals.

• Locked thread