Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
The Canon Thread: Buy Nikon or Sony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

SMERSH Mouth posted:

lens selection were at parity between the two, etc.

The latest round of big teles has been really impressive, if you're willing to pay for them.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Canon used to get by a lot on having good video. God help you if you use Nikon for video.

Video on the Sony A7s is straight baller though :cheers:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Video on Nikon is all right, it just hasn't been hacked with extra functionality like Canons have. But like, straight out of the box it looks better to my eyes - skin tones especially can look bad on anything Canon besides a raw hacked 5Dmk3.

Even in 8 bit space the Nikon's increased DR makes a difference. Of course if you were doing mostly video an A7s would generally be a better choice unless you didn't want to have 10-12 stops of ND slapped on at all times.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
I brought the 5DMKI I inherited to an assignment the other day, and maybe it's my lack of skill or not being used the camera, but I had a ton of missed shots compared to my X-T1. The camera is also now at over 140,000 shutter clicks and not having video is a dealbreaker even though I only need to do video once in a blue moon. I'm conflicted because I also got two lenses that are perfect for my needs, but adapting to X-Mount seems more trouble than it's worth, especially since metabones doesn't even appear to make an adapter for EF->X.

Maybe getting a used 7D would be a good option? Lugging this poo poo around really does make me appreciate how light MILCs are though.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Geektox posted:

I brought the 5DMKI I inherited to an assignment the other day, and maybe it's my lack of skill or not being used the camera, but I had a ton of missed shots compared to my X-T1. The camera is also now at over 140,000 shutter clicks and not having video is a dealbreaker even though I only need to do video once in a blue moon. I'm conflicted because I also got two lenses that are perfect for my needs, but adapting to X-Mount seems more trouble than it's worth, especially since metabones doesn't even appear to make an adapter for EF->X.

Maybe getting a used 7D would be a good option? Lugging this poo poo around really does make me appreciate how light MILCs are though.

Skip the 7D, go with a used 70D if you can find one.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

Geektox posted:

I brought the 5DMKI ...

...I had a ton of missed shots compared to my X-T1.

Out of focus? Or missed in another way?

And what subjects are you shooting?

Is the X-T1 the new Fuji Digital rangefinder?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

mrlego posted:

Out of focus? Or missed in another way?

And what subjects are you shooting?

Is the X-T1 the new Fuji Digital rangefinder?

Out of focus was the main problem. I shoot anything from protests to sports to cheesy "local guy does a cool thing" kinda portraits. Lots of it in bad lighting, because it's either raining or inside. The assignment I brought the 5D to was a swearing-in ceremony for city council.

The X-T1 does better in terms of AF speed and ISO performance (and having a sweet EVF) I recognize the 5D is probably a much better camera for like, everything else, but those things are pretty dang important to me. I'm not a pro or anything and I'm sure if I was I could totally make it work.

The X-T1 is the newest Fuji mirrorless, yeah.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Guys the camera that's literally 8 years newer performed better than the other camera. What's up with that?!

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Guys the camera that's literally 8 years newer performed better than the other camera. What's up with that?!

I mean that's not even remotely what I asked but I do appreciate you breaking down all that technical detail in a way that a simpleton like myself could understand.

Mightaswell posted:

Skip the 7D, go with a used 70D if you can find one.

On KEH the 7D is cheaper than the 70D, and a DigitalRev vid I watched seemed to indicate that the 7D is still slightly superior in some ways, so why the 70D? I've not had a Canon since the XTi so I really don't know the differences all that well.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Geektox posted:

I mean that's not even remotely what I asked but I do appreciate you breaking down all that technical detail in a way that a simpleton like myself could understand.

On KEH the 7D is cheaper than the 70D, and a DigitalRev vid I watched seemed to indicate that the 7D is still slightly superior in some ways, so why the 70D? I've not had a Canon since the XTi so I really don't know the differences all that well.

Well from personal experience, under 3200 ISO the 5D had the better image quality, so you may be disappointed especially compared to your XT-1. The 7D AF is great but non-existant for video and really geared for sports and birds. 70D gets you a couple extra megapickles and the finally acceptable video AF. It's also lighter etc etc.

*edit* found these:
Pixel level sharpness

Noise

Mightaswell fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Dec 11, 2014

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I have a Rebel T5i, and I'm looking to get myself either a 50mm or 85mm fixed lens for Christmas. Anyways, from what I gather online my mount type is EOS, but when searching for lenes on Keh I only see;

Canon EF
Canon EF-S
Canon FD
Canon FL
Canon R
Canon EX Mount

What am I missing? Also, any recommendations on a lens?

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I have a Rebel T5i, and I'm looking to get myself either a 50mm or 85mm fixed lens for Christmas. Anyways, from what I gather online my mount type is EOS, but when searching for lenes on Keh I only see;

Canon EF
Canon EF-S
Canon FD
Canon FL
Canon R
Canon EX Mount

What am I missing? Also, any recommendations on a lens?

Your t5i can take EF or EF-S lenses. "Full Frame" EOS cameras can only take EF.

"EOS" is the line of cameras beginning in 1988 or whatever.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

EDIT: beaten

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Whirlwind Jones posted:

There's plenty of older cameras that'll easily outperform the XT-1's AF system. The 5D isn't one of them, neither's the 5D2 for that matter.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Current best in class focus, current best in class image quality, costs less than several months' worth of a middle class salary; pick two.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Full frame dual-pixel-focus mirrorless Canon camera is why Canon fans are upset. They can do it! They can DO IT. But they're not.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

Geektox posted:

Out of focus was the main problem. I shoot anything from protests to sports to cheesy "local guy does a cool thing" kinda portraits. Lots of it in bad lighting, because it's either raining or inside. The assignment I brought the 5D to was a swearing-in ceremony for city council.

The X-T1 does better in terms of AF speed and ISO performance (and having a sweet EVF) I recognize the 5D is probably a much better camera for like, everything else, but those things are pretty dang important to me. I'm not a pro or anything and I'm sure if I was I could totally make it work.

The X-T1 is the newest Fuji mirrorless, yeah.

Something I figured out with the 5D is to not use auto focus when indoors or in low contrast situations or with heavily backlit subjects. Manual focus is king with the 5D. Also make sure the diopter is set for your eye. I remember it was easy to accidentally bump the diopter.

Also full frame cameras will have a slightly thinner DOF at equivalent f/stops. So if you are used to shooting at f/2.8 on a crop, f/2.8 on the 5D won't have the same DOF...I think...

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Geektox posted:

The 70D sensor is a significant improvement over the 7D (higher mp and better tech with less banding), it has basically the same AF system and framerate (7fps vs 8fps) plus a touch screen and DPAF. The only advantages the 7D has over the 70D is the larger buffer, the dual digic 4's and the joystick on the back for AF point selection, which is admittedly a pretty nice feature.

The 5Dc is an awesome camera but yeah, the AF suuuuucks

LiquidRain posted:

Full frame dual-pixel-focus mirrorless Canon camera is why Canon fans are upset. They can do it! They can DO IT. But they're not.

I'm sorry but according to all the Canon fans I see mirrorless cameras are for stupid babies and amateurs, not real pro photographers doing real serious photography* like them

*middle school soccer games, car shows, etc

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

this is hilarious :woop:

(that's an Industar 50-2 on an m42 adapter)

EDIT:

dorkanoid fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 11, 2014

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

mrlego posted:

Also full frame cameras will have a slightly thinner DOF at equivalent f/stops. So if you are used to shooting at f/2.8 on a crop, f/2.8 on the 5D won't have the same DOF...I think...
That's because with higher focal length, DOF gets thinner. Fullframe needs longer glass for same field of view.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I'm sorry but according to all the Canon fans I see mirrorless cameras are for stupid babies and amateurs, not real pro photographers doing real serious photography* like them

*middle school soccer games, car shows, etc
Autofocus was an issue until recently, when everyone figured out different ways to do PDAF on the sensor. Thermal noise is an issue to some small degree, because the sensor's running whenever you've the display or a future Canon EVF activated. Former's solved, latter's been compensated for by putting heatsinks on the sensor.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 11, 2014

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Mightaswell posted:

*edit* found these:
Pixel level sharpness

I'm a bit late, but I just wanted to point out what a stupid comparison this is.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Mightaswell posted:

*edit* found these:
Pixel level sharpness

The 24-105 is garbage at 24mm so this is not at all surprising.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Oh snap, I didn't notice the dude changed the focal length.

Never mind that one.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Yeah, they wanted to keep the field of view the same, but they should have used the exact same settings for both shots if they really wanted to prove whatever. Most actual camera reviewers use a known good prime and test scene for this stuff for a reason. Here's DPreview's studio test page for the 7dII/7D, they offer the 5dIII as a comparison (as well as many other cameras.)

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

mrlego posted:

Something I figured out with the 5D is to not use auto focus when indoors or in low contrast situations or with heavily backlit subjects. Manual focus is king with the 5D. Also make sure the diopter is set for your eye. I remember it was easy to accidentally bump the diopter.

Is manual focusing difficult? It's not something I've messed around with at all, but if it makes a big difference on a 5D I might give it a try. I have been noticing my AF isn't the greatest.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

There's a focusing screen available for the 5D that makes manual focus lenses way easier to use. I had one and it was great. Canon EE-s screen :

"The Ee-S Super Precision focusing screen is designed to facilitate manual focusing with high-speed lenses (f/2.8 or faster). The Ee-S screen has finer microlenses than the Ee-A or Ee-D options, along with a steeper parabola of focus to make the image pop in and out of focus more vividly in the viewfinder; however, the Ee-S focusing screen is not recommended for slower lenses because it's not very bright."

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Hearing that for 5Ds that have a serial number starting with zero some wet sensor cleaning methods can harm the film over the sensor. Anyone have any experience with this? Any advice for getting around it, or should I not worry?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Dumb question- I'm assuming there's an option to return all menu settings to default (on a 6D). I've been trying to set up my C1 and C2 and have made a big mess out of it.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Dumb question- I'm assuming there's an option to return all menu settings to default (on a 6D). I've been trying to set up my C1 and C2 and have made a big mess out of it.

wrench menu #4 - clear all camera settings

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Bob Mundon posted:

Hearing that for 5Ds that have a serial number starting with zero some wet sensor cleaning methods can harm the film over the sensor. Anyone have any experience with this? Any advice for getting around it, or should I not worry?

The first year of 5D production maybe from what I've read. More concerning is the mirror reinforcement recall that affected all 5Ds.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

Seamonster posted:

The first year of 5D production maybe from what I've read. More concerning is the mirror reinforcement recall that affected all 5Ds.

How do you tell if this is an issue? For all I know it's already been done on this body.

*edit* I don't know what the before picture looks like, what should I be looking for to know?

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/windows_vista/cameras/eos_slr_camera_systems/eos_5d?pageKeyCode=prdAdvDetail&docId=0901e0248004cd94

Looking closer, looks like it's got the brackets over the mirror. Still concerned about cleaning though, I'd assume blowing only works so well.

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 16, 2014

mes
Apr 28, 2006

The mirror reinforcement are the little metal prongs on the sides. Originally, the mirror was solely attached by adhesive without those metal strips.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

triplexpac posted:

Is manual focusing difficult? It's not something I've messed around with at all, but if it makes a big difference on a 5D I might give it a try. I have been noticing my AF isn't the greatest.

Manual focusing is not difficult, just an interesting challenge. It is one of those limiting factors that forces one to slow down and appreciate how important focus is. Similar to shooting with only primes to appreciate zooms or only using an incident meter instead of the built-in reflective meter.

When I am shooting wide open and millimeters matter for focus, I like not touching the focus ring unless I have to. Choosing composition first, I make fine focus adjustments by walking forward or backing up an inch or so at a time. I know it might sound really strange but it's also what i do with a medium format film camera which is 100% manual.

mrlego fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 17, 2014

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Or if you shoot wildlife most of the time (like me), you get used to falling back to manual focus when trying to get a shot of something in a tangle of branches and vines.

I don't know if the 7d/70d are a little better at automatic AF point selection than my 5dmkii or 450d, but neither of the latter could find a poler bear on a black sand beach.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I have a 7D and a 5D2 and the 7D has magic autofocus compared to the 5D2. I really miss it when I'm using the 5D2 even for still subjects, it's that good from a usability standpoint too. I love my 5D2 and use it almost all the time anyway though.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I really like the focus peaking from Magic Lantern. Is that too inaccurate for what you are shooting?

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
Hey guys, I am shooting video with a T5i and when I am in video mode setting up a shot, the shutter will close automatically (and thus the LED goes dark) after like 10 seconds. I assume this is to save on battery but it's really loving annoying. Can I turn this feature off? I can't find anything in settings.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord

Rashomon posted:

Hey guys, I am shooting video with a T5i and when I am in video mode setting up a shot, the shutter will close automatically (and thus the LED goes dark) after like 10 seconds. I assume this is to save on battery but it's really loving annoying. Can I turn this feature off? I can't find anything in settings.

I use a T3i, but I assume it's the same. Look for the "Auto Power Off" option in the menu and set it to "Off".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
So whilst doing a bit of research for a friend who wanted to get back into using his Nikon camera, I noticed there seem to be a lot more (relatively) low cost prime 35mm options for Nikon than Canon.

What's up with that? Am I missing something about the two systems which makes them inherently cheaper on Nikon?