Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
No surprise that they cut down the barbarian buffs before they even hit the test center, but the changes still look somewhat promising. I wonder why they revered adrenaline to be % instead of melee power based.

Increased drop rates sound good, although they are probably small sized increases, that is still much better than the opposite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woden
May 6, 2006
The change to Adrenaline is probably so it wont scale up the temp HP stuff in the barb trees as some of those scale with melee power.

quote:

Anniversary Cards and future card recipes are now linked to their events, which means that the recipes created by combining various cards will only be available when the event is active. Anniversary Cards can no longer be used to make Anniversary Card recipes.
:stare:

No shield masteries with orbs, eww. Hope the drop rate includes seals/shards but the way it's worded it doesn't look like it, and finally GH now gets three buff icons. I have 50+ buff icons so doubt I'll be able to find out if the fear immunity is working easily even with the change.

Woden
May 6, 2006
So after taking some time off finally back to finish off completionist with a sorc life, thing is I hate casters and sorcs are probably the worst class to mix with melee so I'm struggling for ideas. No real gear for it either, missing every decent elemental spell power item and crit chance there is.

12 sorc/6 pally/2 fighter(?) was my first thought, still have a BF life I can get a PL from so probably do BF for the recons. That seems bad though, got enough feats for 3x THF(SoS and eSoS), IC, max/emp/quicken, addy body and PA which are the essentials but not really bringing any melee power other than DM and dmg/haste boost really. Could easily swap out fighter for monk if evasion is still better than scrubby sorc in addy too, thought about rogue instead of fighter for staff speed buffs but don't have the feats unless I basically drop casting entirely.

Other options I'm thinking are 9 druid/9 sorc/2 w/e Iconic, miss out on uber broken druid synergies and not much melee power. Also done it before.

Any one got a better idea? I do still have my +20 heart but would rather hoard it for later.

Edit: maybe this instead?

1-2 paladin
3-14 sorc
start playing
15-18 fighter
19-20 paladin

Feats:
1 PA
3 quicken
6 THF
9 max
12 quicken
15 addy body + IC
16 ITHF
17 GTHF
18 ??? + ???

2 extra feats, don't really lose anything from dropping 2 paladin levels but still really bad melee. Could take 2 shield feats and really go gimp but IDK. :/

Woden fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Nov 19, 2014

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
I wouldn't bother with casting besides buffs/heals really. You're not going to do enough damage with it to be worth the time and mana versus using it to extend your lifebar and continuing to melee. You could do rogue or monk for the evasive route, but I'm not sure that's actually better with the new heavy armor changes. Here's what we did to knock out a sorc life as staff melee. It worked really well, and with the doubled effectiveness of PRR and MRR/Melee Power now existing, it should be even better.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Was just thinking about a staff build. What about 6 rogue instead of monk? Get more DPS via doublestrike, more MRR, less HP and PRR and people will expect me to do traps, hmmm.

gently caress it, going monk staff sorc when I log in later.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Double bonus points now through the 1st.
75% off expansions and starter/race packs.

The latter is a pretty drat good deal if you're missing one of those. They don't do such deep discounts often.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Can wizards in DDO become liches?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Sorta. The Pale Master enhancement line at Wizard 18 gives you

quote:

Shroud of the Lich: Shroud Toggle: You shroud yourself with negative energy and assume many of the traits of a lich. (Activation Cost: 100 Spell Points. Cooldown: 30 seconds)

While in this form, you gain +4 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma, +1 to DCs of your Necromancy spells, and occasionally gain temporary hit points when damaged.
On Melee Hit: Your attack inflicts 2-9 points of Negative Energy damage to a living target.
You have +100% critical hit resistance, are healed by negative energy, and are unaffected by positive energy or repair effects, but take double damage from light effects.
You are considered undead rather than your original type for the purpose of most effects.

Which lets you self heal with Negative Energy Burst and Death Aura (as does Shroud of the Zombie/Wraith at lower levels). Most Wizards run with some form of Shroud perma toggled on in quests, but you can drop in and out if you want.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
What is it like being a wizard? I haven't played DDO in years, is the game pretty fun when playing with goons, or do goons even play much?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

At low levels its a lot of throwing around moderate damage spells and not really having great self healing. Until you have actual Necrotic Aura and some Negative spellpower items, you're better off staying human/elven and using potions to get by. The changes to increasing base spell damage and making metamagic weaker awhile back means you shouldn't have bad mana issues at low levels anymore, so you can run around blasting spells pretty well. And you've got the Archmage or Pale Master Spell-like Abilities to fall back on if your mana gets lowish.

Once you're in the teens, you start getting your instant death spells, and if you're on Normal/Hard or are well geared for your level Elite, you'll be able to instantly kill green named mini-bosses and obliterate packs with your AE spells. Red named guys you can stack Niac's and Eledar's on to drop them pretty easily if your other single target spells are not taking them down fast enough (depends on level/difficulty).

In the Epic levels your power falls off pretty sharply, you're stuck Enervating -> Nuking greens since they're immune to insta kills on Hard and Elite. Your AE damage is still alright, but it's not quite the instant pack killing of the mid teens. Also if you don't have destinies leveled up, you're going to feel not so great. Magister is super lackluster, though the +3 Necro DCs from it is a solid thing. Draconic could work as your first destiny, but you'll still have to suffer through crappy destinies along the way to Shiradi Champion. It's definitely a weak point in design, even though it's cool Arcanes can make use of a Primal destiny, the Arcane options are just not worth it is the problem.

The bright side of all of this, is that once you hit level 10, you become a super durable solid damage dealer capable of some crowd control and plenty of damage while getting to experience every spell in the game. The downside is that a Fire Angel Sorcerer can do all of that, while starting at 15 (since you'll be Bladeforged), does more damage, and is more durable but has a very limited spell selection. Which isn't a big deal, since the good spells are pretty obvious.

And no, goons don't really play a ton sadly. Doesn't help that there's some people who still play (like Woden) who are on another server. Though he might have a more active guild you could join... just means even less chance of people coming back en masse on Argo. Which unless DDO does something mindblowing probably isn't likely. It's a fantastic game, and the new content is always cool to run through, but it's an old game that never really caught on except for being kinda-sorta the first decent F2P game.

Woden
May 6, 2006
My guild is mostly dead and so is grouping on Cannith, you'll see hundreds of people online but they're either grouping with friends or soloing. Or crucibling I guess. :p

The game is still fun it's just that there's not much incentive to loot farm and there's no reason to stay capped, if you like TRing then it's all good but that's not for everyone. It's also gotten incredibly easy too, to the point where you can be red alerting an epic elite quest that's well above your level, solo without too much drama. Red alert EEs with friends are really fun btw, lots of chaos and carnage in the tougher quests.

Woden
May 6, 2006
U24 is set to hit live on the 10th of December, was hoping for some tweaks to the mediocre loot but guess what's been shown is all there will be.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
So I'm just coming back to this after not playing much at all this year and the game has completely changed. I mean gently caress, we just cleared out a raid quest in two minutes flat and people are summoning tornadoes everywhere. Seems like I have missed one hell of a party.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Morglon posted:

So I'm just coming back to this after not playing much at all this year and the game has completely changed. I mean gently caress, we just cleared out a raid quest in two minutes flat and people are summoning tornadoes everywhere. Seems like I have missed one hell of a party.

Exploits, lots of exploits. Luckily all(?) the duping will be fixed next update so we might be able to have some kind economy again. Not saying bugs aren't fun, but being able to dupe millions of every item was pretty poo poo.

Oh, and they're turning off turn ins for old anniversaries so if you still have anniversary cards you should crunch them before the 10th, not sure about birthday cakes but they don't have anything great anyway.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
As someone who*s been playing on and off for years good, gently caress the economy. I obviously don't want everything to be super easy but I also don't miss the times when sp potions whould literally bankrupt you and people would just farm dragon and devil scales all day because they were the currency and platinum was pretty much worthless.

That said if anybody is on Khyber and wants to do poo poo I have a small guild there and want to do stuff again. I seem to have missed the bandwagon on doing the raids for commendations of heroism though since nobody seems to do those anymore and I want to finish my dragon armor.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Morglon posted:

As someone who*s been playing on and off for years good, gently caress the economy. I obviously don't want everything to be super easy but I also don't miss the times when sp potions whould literally bankrupt you and people would just farm dragon and devil scales all day because they were the currency and platinum was pretty much worthless.

That said if anybody is on Khyber and wants to do poo poo I have a small guild there and want to do stuff again. I seem to have missed the bandwagon on doing the raids for commendations of heroism though since nobody seems to do those anymore and I want to finish my dragon armor.

You could dupe all those comms so no one runs them, you can also dupe all the raid bypasses so no one runs raids after the first week of release. Oh and I believe there was a way to dupe astral shards, so no decent way to even buy/sell your loot, fun times.

I run on Cannith and I think goons are all on not Cannith/Khyber, so we're both poo poo out of luck. Could maybe do some card trading if anyone has some left for cross server trades(I do not :() though.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Woden posted:

You could dupe all those comms so no one runs them, you can also dupe all the raid bypasses so no one runs raids after the first week of release. Oh and I believe there was a way to dupe astral shards, so no decent way to even buy/sell your loot, fun times.

I run on Cannith and I think goons are all on not Cannith/Khyber, so we're both poo poo out of luck. Could maybe do some card trading if anyone has some left for cross server trades(I do not :() though.

Well all of those things suck.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

There used to be a small number of people on Khyber too, but I think most of them quit or quit posting in the thread at least =-( Also is the rampant duping only within the last month or so? I saw a bunch of ingredients being duped like 3-4 months ago but that got fixed and people banned (prolly temp) pretty quick.

Woden
May 6, 2006
The mass duping has been going on for maybe a year, it started before U21 with dragon scales and rare augs, not long after U21 people were running around with tier 3 weapons and the AH was stocked to the brim with ingredients.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Well that would explain why I was able to get my epic scales for next to nothing earlier this year. Too bad the next things I need to buy are all fixed cost guild upgrades that'll eat up all my cash. Loving the changes they made to guild buffs though, makes them finally worth getting for me and my people.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Update 24 is now live!

Three new Xoriat quests, and based on the names they're based on some of the all time best Xoriat content, looking forward to trying them out. Also a new quest for the D&D event going on involving the Tyranny of Dragons.

Gameplay highlights:
  • Cosmetic weapons can be made with a TP-bought item.
  • TP-bought item to add/remove particle effects from weapons (cosmetic weapons?)
  • Airship's can let you off in the Hall of Heroes in Eberron now, makes the key kinda useless =-(
  • Healing amp is now additive, not multiplicative, existing item values have been doubled, it's also now displayed as a rating and is on the character sheet (along with doubleshot).
  • Hard/Elite has a chance of mobs spawning as Champions, buffing them up. Green named champions can spawn a chest when killed.
  • All barbarian enhancement trees buff/changed.
  • Master's Blitz now starts with 3 stacks instead of 1.
  • Harper tree can be unlocked with 310 Harper favor.
  • Exits to Eveningstar from the Hall of Heroes now give players the option to be sent to Eveningstar, the Eveningstar Cavern, Wheloon, or the Thunder Peaks.
  • Bunch of older quest named items have had their drop rates increased.
  • Holy Sword nerfed, no longer gives +1 weapon and lowered the enhancement bonus to +1.

Game_Whino
Jul 16, 2007

Let's drink until we can't feel anymore!
Does that healing amp doubling also apply to the paladin past lives? (that would make them awesome)

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I can't tell. Don't have time to quadruple check my healing amp. Taking my gloves off drops me from 110 to 50, which is to be expected since it's +60. However the guild buff says +10% and the past life says +5%. So even doubled as ratings that would be 30, not sure where I'd be getting the other 20 from if they are doubled. I didn't see any enhancements of mine that had it.

Game_Whino
Jul 16, 2007

Maybe the guild buff is giving 20 and displaying 10? That'd make 50 right?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

1 Past life = 5 doubled to 10.
Guild buff = 10 doubled to 20.

Leaves 20 unaccounted for of the 50 I had showing.
So either I've got an enhancement I missed or I'm wearing a former 10% healing amp item I guess?

[Edit] Healing Amp on character sheet = 110
Guild buff = 10% (20 rating?)
Past Life Paladin = 5% (10 rating?)
Iron Mitts = +60 Competence Bonus
Divine Crusader Innate 3 = +20 Healing Amp
= 110
So guild buffs, Divine Crusader and past life were doubled. Prior to the patch I would have been at
1.1 * 1.05 * 1.3 * 1.1 = 65% extra healing instead of 110%.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 11, 2014

Game_Whino
Jul 16, 2007

That right there is a dead sexy change. I think I'm gonna level to 28 and grab a last paladin life.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

DemonMage posted:

1 Past life = 5 doubled to 10.
Guild buff = 10 doubled to 20.

Leaves 20 unaccounted for of the 50 I had showing.
So either I've got an enhancement I missed or I'm wearing a former 10% healing amp item I guess?

[Edit] Healing Amp on character sheet = 110
Guild buff = 10% (20 rating?)
Past Life Paladin = 5% (10 rating?)
Iron Mitts = +60 Competence Bonus
Divine Crusader Innate 3 = +20 Healing Amp
= 110
So guild buffs, Divine Crusader and past life were doubled. Prior to the patch I would have been at
1.1 * 1.05 * 1.3 * 1.1 = 65% extra healing instead of 110%.

I havent kept up with the barb changes, any word on how they play with a decent bit of self healing and their own healing amp + these changes? Might be time to come back next week and do a few more PL's.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Really curious about that myself, going with a classic Frenzied Barbarian, you'd get:
Amp
+10 Innate 2
+20 Innate 4

Tier 2 ability for 150 (350 at 28) temp hp at the cost of 1 con per use.
Supreme Cleave not costing hp at tier 3.
2d6 hp every 4 seconds (scales with 100% melee power)

Melee power:
Blitz gives 70, being level 28 gives 24, max fighting style is 10, so 104 melee power. I'm probably missing something here.

7 hp every 4 seconds boosted to 14~ with melee power. Another 140% from amp or 34~ hp every 4 seconds.

That's not really enough to keep you up in Elite, but it might be enough for Hard especially with the Dodge/PRR from Blitz.

The initial versions seemed like much better healing from what I remember, but it's interesting. There might be some stuff in the other trees to boost it up. And of course if you can fit in more amp it becomes more viable.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

DemonMage posted:

Three new Xoriat quests, and based on the names they're based on some of the all time best Xoriat content, looking forward to trying them out. Also a new quest for the D&D event going on involving the Tyranny of Dragons.

I haven't played this in more than a year I think, but this really makes me want to reinstall. Xoriat (along with Quori) content are the best things.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Weekly Deals brings Shadar-Kai down to 324TP. They're not as overpowered as Bladesworn but rogue splashing is still pretty okay on a lot of builds to get some more Iconic lives. 50% off augment bags isn't bad either.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

2015 Producer's Letter is up, by the new DDO EP Severlin.
Of note:
  • Monster champions dropping a currency that can be redeemed for consumables, cosmetics, and pets.
  • Warlock class
  • U25 Adds Temple of Elemental Evil
  • A new questline in Shavarath that leads you to level 30 Epic Vale. Finally trying to wrap up that quest line that started with Mod 9/Eberron Unlimited?
  • New festival hunting mimics and a new autumn/halloween one.

I'm excited about a new class, it always brings interesting new build options and puts off being done with TRing by one-three more life(s) (which is mostly a good thing).
Shavarath thing is cool, it was supposed to be the start of three chains taking us to the Archon and Demon areas for the other chains before culminating in some ultimate battle, but they just kept putting it off for other areas. I guess because Shavarath has always been on the high end of difficulty and lots of people tend to skip it? Wonder if they'll bother to touch up the current quests at all.
The fragments from champions seems real nice, gives you a reason to actually be happy to see one spawn.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 9, 2015

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Seems like good stuff but I'm still waiting for a proper borderless window before I can get back into it. The full screen client fucks with my second monitor.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://github.com/Codeusa/Borderless-Gaming

I had luck with this with most games, try if it works with DDO. I would, but currently don't have it installed :v:

It's really simple, set DDO to windowed, open that thing, add DDO to list of favourites, see if it works.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

It technically works... but isn't really usable. You can get it to do fullscreen windowed but the mouse cursor is always off by an amount equal to the size of your window's taskbar due to that being hidden and the client expecting the window to be a different size or whatever. And if you can't have the taskbar hidden when the game is open it mostly defeats the point of borderless windowed. It's always been one of my pet peeves with DDO as well, but it doesn't seem like anything they're going to address anytime soon. Stepping into the client, even for smaller changes, has got to be a nightmare.

[Edit] Oh hey, new monster manuals is something they're looking at again. That would be nice. Depending on what it takes the place of in the dev budget of course...
Also Cannith Crafting is on the list to be looked at, but it's basically at the bottom because it's expensive to get it up to speed for up to level 30 stuff. They want to do it, but it'll be the first thing pushed back if they're lacking time/money on other things.
Sentient Weapons are still being worked on... but they're trying to figure out where they fit in. They want to include them as part of Greensteel 2.0, but they're having trouble getting it to feel right. And they don't want Greensteel being crap because of Sentient Weapons or vice versa.
Tieflings are not coming soon, as that would require a lot of art to account for tails/horns.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 9, 2015

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Well they did implement DX11 but I didn't really have a chance to play with it a lot. Ah well I will get back into it eventually, doesn't help that the next thing I know I need to do is farm Gianthold a bunch to complete the set.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

DX11 has been in for many years, it's nice. The biggest problem with the graphics is when they have old textures mixed in with newer and normal mapped textures. Really stands out in sections of Korthos and Harbor quests, which is the stuff new people see, which sucks. And Gianthold is pretty cool, what set are you trying to complete? Some dragon armor?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Oh really? Well then I didn't notice for a long time. Yeah I need the white helmet and one of the shields but nobody seems to do that anymore since all the duping happened.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Well that and the armors/shields occupy that place where they're almost end game gear, but not really end game gear anymore. So you go through a ton of effort for something you're only going to wear for 3 levels that isn't really providing something that great for helping you level. And then you hit 28 and either (E/I)TR again, or put on your real gear. So it's tough to justify spending commendations/time/money on it, especially when the drop rate for the items in Tor is real bad.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
End game gear is relative in DDO. The level 20 poo poo you pick up in Evenstar can last you a long time because there's only so much you can do and as long as you have your basics covered you will do fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I used a Rad II rapier all the way until I got my 2nd Celestia. If Celestia didn't exist, I'd probably still be using it. Gear in DDO is often the best even when far higher level stuff is available because of some effect it has on it that you want for your type of build.

I'm currently playing FFXIV, and a bit of GW2 on the side when my friends need another guy for a dungeon, but while they're both great as mmos, I sometimes really miss the stupid and/or broken poo poo DDO builds allow.

• Locked thread