Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LSD CURES JUNKIES
Sep 12, 2013

Run The Jewels 2 was loving awesome. I even like the track with Zach. Oh My Darling is my favorite song on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squirtle
Oct 14, 2008

Here comes the Squirtle Squad!
Top5 releases:

36 Seasons
PRhyme
Something by Future- probably Honest tbh
Mastermind
Cilvia

Hon. Mentions:
MKL
Pinata

Tracks:
Sanctified
About The Money
Earth
and honestly?
No Type
Hot Nigga

What albums did yall find the most disappointing this year?

For me it's

Oxymoron
Hood Billionaire
RTJ2

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Biggest disappointment for me would be that Shabazz Palaces record. Loved Black Up but the new one wasn't really interesting me at all.

e: actually, most crushing disappointment of the year would probably be Kendrick's "i". What a mess.

HorseRenoir fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Dec 11, 2014

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I only really have two mentions for album of the year. My favourite was FlyLo's You're Dead. My most disappointing experience was Soul's These Days. I was so ready for that album, it just wasn't ready for me.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
^^^ this man knows what's up

All these top ten lists are sorely lacking in Flying Lotus's You're Dead.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Stevie Lee posted:

I hosted the rawest weekly rap show ever on the local community/college station last year

New thread title

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Forgot all about this PRhyme album, it is as good as everyone is saying. I think Monster is easily the better of the two Future releases.

Most disappointing: Flying Lotus (not really hiphop but this album just had no repeat value), Oxymoron, Pinata (still had some good tracks though), Shabazz Palaces

Also I never got into that ivry 100s tape like everyone else here seemed to.

Cool Buff Man posted:

New thread title

Lol

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

My top albums:

Cocaine Pinata
Body High
Clivia Demo
Oxymoron
The Water[s]
PRhyme
Seen it All
Rich Nigga Timeline
Monster
Run the Jewels 2 - Edited this in, because I don't know why the gently caress this wasn't here already.

Honorables:

Days Before the Rodeo
36 Seasons
OG Maco EP
Under Pressure
LAW 3: Now or Never
IVRY EP
Ferg Forever
Lox - 2nd and 3rd Trinity Sermons

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 12, 2014

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Nicki, Drake, Weezy. Nice house beat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXi4kyIiWkg

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

drat I'm the only one that has oxymoron in my top albums of the year. I listened to it on the way to work for about half of this year.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

new nicki is out. it's not great so far

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Cobra Commander posted:

drat I'm the only one that has oxymoron in my top albums of the year. I listened to it on the way to work for about half of this year.

I posted it in mine for the very same reason, as a matter of fact.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

new nicki is out. it's not great so far

thats weird

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

yeah usually the first half is the good stuff. it's a long album tho, lots of time for good tracks. the one with meek mill is nice.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

Cobra Commander posted:

I had it on mine too.

Relatedly Los Awesome is my most played song of the year according to itunes

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Rich Gang Tour Part 2 leaks

https://soundcloud.com/errell6/sets/tour-part-2-leaks

2015 Sonny and Cher

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

Robert Analog posted:

I had it on mine too.

Relatedly Los Awesome is my most played song of the year according to itunes

I like Oxymoron, I think it fits Schoolboy Q's persona to a T and bangs. It's nothing extremely memorable (outside of maybe break the bank), but it is drat solid for a first studio album.

I guess if I had to do a top 5 it would go like this

1) Joell Ortiz- House Slippers

I know I'm a New York Rap Homer, but I did not have high expectations of this album but I wanted to support and maybe hear some dope lyrics from Joell. What I got is a very cohesive album that has all the elements of a great album: club banger/radio record/bars/a song for the ladies/so on and so forth. Plus the Heatmakers couldn't do wrong with the direction they went with the sound album and it feels great. It's hard to break out of that freestyle/lyricist box and be able to make a really great album but Joell did it.

2) Pryhme/Beauty of Independence

This is a tie for me because I have been excited about Pryhme since the second I heard about it but Beauty of Independence came out of no where and G-Unit is still relevant as all hell . Fifty is so big in the game he can basically do whatever he wants and it comes out as a golden nugget, he's the example of consistency. I don't know a lot of guys I'd think of as being legendary that have sustained the level of success and production that he has.

3) Cyhi Da Prynce - Black Hystori Project

Watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pqUVQO1XbM and you will see just a small snippet of what makes this album great. The lyrics punches and beats all go hard, and he even gets a cosign from a legend during the video. Cyhi is very quietly one of the most talented rappers in the game right now.

4) RTJ 2

I don't need to convince many people in this thread but I will say only my white friends know about RTJ2. I was in AC and I wore my RTJ shirt and I must have gotten

5) Forest Hill Drive - J Cole

I liked it the first time but upon multiple listens Forest Hill Drive (J Cole) really kicks rear end. Wet Dreamz, Fire Squad and GOMD are some tremendously good tracks....

Honorable Mentions

Joe Budden - Some Love Lost (I'm not paying for this 7 track album though, sorry Joey.)

Jeezy - Seen It All (It's good but nothing out of the ordinary from Jeezy)

Logic - Under Pressure (Kid can spit and it came together much better than I thought. He's got to stop out rapping his beats though, SLOW IT DOWN I JUST DISSED YOU. He doesn't do it intentionally like Big Sean but its a glaring flaw)

Lecrae - Anomaly (I rolled my eyes when I heard he was kind of a Christian Rapper, but I watched his interview with Ebro and decided to give him a chance. Dude is talented and its worth a listen at the very least, very good and vivid story teller and it while it obviously has a religious undertone but it isn't proselytizing.

DJ Mustard - 10 Summers (Just a fun album)

Pharrell - G I R L (Hey, this is a R&B thread too! Lets be honest though, this is some poppy poo poo, cosigned by the fact that my wife likes it)

Oxymoron - Schoolboy Q (YAK YAK YAK)

Mos Def - YASIIN GAYE (Yeah yeah I know its a mashup mixtape but it was good)

Childish Gambino - Kauai (I don't give a gently caress what you say, it's a DJ the gently caress Drama mixtape)

Cilvia Demo - Isaiah Rashad (I liked his BET Cypher and decided to give it a whirl and its good)

Disappointments

U2 - WHY THE gently caress ARE YOU STILL IN MY ITUNES...FUUUUUCK

Common - Nobody's Smiling (Common is one of my favorite rappers of all time but this is a goddamn snoozefest; it's like Kenny G easy elevator listening. It's not like Common doesn't still have it in him, Sweet was one of the best tracks a year or so ago but I guess he isn't mad at any lightskinned rappers right now)

Big Krit - Cadillactica (Don't get me wrong this is an ok album but the level of expectation I had was so much higher. The album just feels a little more laid back than I anticipated and took the wind out of my sails early on and I never recovered. The remixing and changes to Mt. Olympus were a loving travesty; I was joking earlier about Hot Nigga being the best track of the year but honestly in my opinion it was the original version of Mt. Olympus. I'm not even demanding that Krit to goes harder, cause King of the South is pretty hard track but I felt like the energy waned in and out and got even more laid back than a south rapper can be known for at times)

Upcoming

Ludacris always has at least an entertaining album so there is that and Fabolous has Young OG project, and if its anything like Soul Tape 3 its going to be absolute crack.

Squirtle
Oct 14, 2008

Here comes the Squirtle Squad!

Yuzenn posted:

Ludacris always has at least an entertaining album so there is that

So excited for new Luda, he's definitely one of the older rappers I'd love to see make a resurgence into mainstream, and honestly I think he can do it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That PRhye album is so good.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Yuzenn posted:

3) Cyhi Da Prynce - Black Hystori Project

Watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pqUVQO1XbM and you will see just a small snippet of what makes this album great. The lyrics punches and beats all go hard, and he even gets a cosign from a legend during the video. Cyhi is very quietly one of the most talented rappers in the game right now.
Holy poo poo, downloading this mixtape as soon as I get home, dude is one hell of a rapper. Content (and skill level, but not style) reminds me of Akala.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
http://www.avclub.com/article/el-p-and-killer-mike-starting-run-jewels-3-january-212893

Mike and El-P gonna work on a new record in January.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Cyhi is not a good rapper :colbert:

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Rich Gang Tour Part 2 leaks

https://soundcloud.com/errell6/sets/tour-part-2-leaks

2015 Sonny and Cher

:getin:

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
Are we still doing AOTY list?

No particular order, mixtapes included:

Mick Jenkins - The Water[s]
Sir Michael Rocks - Banco
Killer Mike & El P - RTJ2
Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Pinata
CashUs King - CHURCH
Goldlink - The God Complex

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

thathonkey posted:

Cyhi is not a good rapper :colbert:
I've just listened to the entire Black Hystori mixtape at work and could not possibly disagree with you more.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
does anyone even read ppls aoty lists

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I do cuz I didn't listen to poo poo this year.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I AM BRAWW posted:

it confirms my suspicions so yes

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

I AM BRAWW posted:

it promotes discussion (see: is oxymoron good, or disappointing?!) and let's me know how edgy and different i am in relation to other goons in this thread, so, yes. what's yours?

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Nicki seriously needs to hire someone to edit down and sequence her albums jesus christ

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

xbilkis posted:

Nicki seriously needs to hire someone to edit down and sequence her albums jesus christ

Yeah the quality control on this one was sorely lacking. First half all sounded nearly exactly the same.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I read AOTY lists. I don't have a list.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Crystal Caines is all the Nicki I need

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
More than half of that Nicki album just sounds like really boring FKA Twigs b-sides. I guess I'll just continue my yearly tradition of compiling her best features/singles and pretending that was the album instead.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
I actually feel like this is the first Nicki album that works as a cohesive whole. Even with songs like Anaconda on the same album as All Things Go or Grand Piano.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
I read the lists I slept on unknown memory and open mike eagle and have since fixed that because I saw them on lists.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Crumbletron posted:

Crystal Caines is all the Nicki I need

Whiteline might be my soty

my most listened album was My Name is My Name 2014 was forgettable

Mustafa
Jun 3, 2007
Hay, screw you
The Pinkprint is seriously the worst

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

This year had some cool EPs come out though. Vince and Clockwork come to mind.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
YeahI highly recommend checking out the Vince Staples EP if you missed it. Great West Coast style kinda reminds me of the YG record in terms of its sound.

Most of the best releases were mixtapes. Dunno what that means exactly...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

thathonkey posted:

Most of the best releases were mixtapes. Dunno what that means exactly...

Maybe that albums are typically too locked down/controlled by the labels, and/or too many artists only do serious rap on their mixtapes, as they are reaching burn out/playing it safe by the time they drop an LP.

Just a guess.