Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
maybe that will be enough to get the CEO's wife to use a passport

quote:

BlackBerry CEO John Chen Can’t Even Convince His Wife to Use a Passport Smartphone

John Chen's wife prefers her Samsung Galaxy smartphone

The BlackBerry Passport is an odd device. It packs in relatively beefy specs including a Snapdragon 801 processor, 3GB of RAM, 32GB of internal storage, 802.11ac, Bluetooth 4.1 LE, and a 13MP rear camera with optical image stabilization. However, it also bucks the trends of a rectangular-shaped display by instead featuring a 4.5” 1440x1440 square-shaped display.

BlackBerry has defended the square display, saying that it’s a boon for professionals. Reviewers, on the other hand, have been decidedly mixed on the device. As The Verge put it, “BlackBerry admits that many of its Power Pro users are still likely to carry two phones, even with the Passport. But if I can get my job done with just one device, why bother carrying two?”

Well, it appears that BlackBerry CEO John Chen needs to do more than just convince consumers and gadget reviewers that the Passport makes sense as your “go to” smartphone. Chen’s own wife has snubbed the device, preferring to use her Samsung smartphone instead.

BlackBerry Passport

In an interview with The Financial Times, Chen explained that he has had a hard time trying to get his wife to part with her [unidentified] Samsung Galaxy smartphone. “There were a couple of parties we went to and, when my wife brought out the Samsung, everyone kind of looked at me funny,” Chen explained. “So eventually I said she needed to use a BlackBerry. ‘No, I like my Samsung’, she said, and I told her she was embarrassing me.”

Chen went on to add that his wife encountered some of the same annoyances as reviewers, indicating that the device was a bit unwieldy to handle. Chen acknowledged this challenge, stating, “It is harder in the beginning, but once you get it, it’s actually quite powerful” before going into the kill by saying that “[the Passport] makes other devices look a little toyish.”

BlackBerry CEO John Chen

Elsewhere in the interview, Chen indicated that he is trying his best to win back the business of companies and government organizations that have left BlackBerry for Android and iOS devices, and looks to reach out to a new generation of “Crackberry” addicts.

Chen also hopes that BlackBerry can undergo a resurgence, similar to the one that Apple experienced after Steve Jobs returned to the helm in the late 1990s.

“I don’t have a perfect crystal ball but there’s no point coming in saying that we’re not going to dominate again,” opined Chen. “One has to be realistic, but it’s not impossible.”
Source: The Financial Times

http://www.dailytech.com/BlackBerry+CEO+John+Chen+Cant+Even+Convince+His+Wife+to+Use+a+Passport+Smartphone/article36872.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Perplx posted:

holy wow

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
on the one hand, good for him for not forcing his wife to use that terrible phone. on the other hand lol.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

The Management posted:

on the one hand, good for him for not forcing his wife to use that terrible phone. on the other hand lol.
on the other hand is the blackberry passport, completely unusable with a single hand

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Good to see Chen's wife standing up to spousal abuse.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Perplx posted:

‘No, I like my Samsung’, she said, and I told her she was embarrassing me.”

man's getting cucked by sarnsung. some shameful poo poo.

barb! barb, please the other guys all see you with samsung and they know.. barb. barb you're embarrassing me in front of the other ceos

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Kenny Logins posted:

on the other hand is the blackberry passport, completely unusable with a single hand

well he is Asian. I'm sure she is used to only using one hand.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
mom wife you're embarrassing me!!!

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/11/ars-reviews-the-blackberry-passport-the-corporate-tool/

'“That is the worst designed thing, like ever.” That's exactly what my 13-year-old daughter said as she gazed upon the BlackBerry Passport, freshly unboxed upon my desk. She picked it up, ran fingers across the keys, and put it down again. She acted as if she mistakenly touched something she found on the sidewalk, right down to taking a step back in retreat.'

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i wonder if bbry is hiring for any 100% remote gigs

would be nice to collect a second paycheck while there's still cash left to burn

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

Generic Monk posted:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/11/ars-reviews-the-blackberry-passport-the-corporate-tool/

'“That is the worst designed thing, like ever.” That's exactly what my 13-year-old daughter said as she gazed upon the BlackBerry Passport, freshly unboxed upon my desk. She picked it up, ran fingers across the keys, and put it down again. She acted as if she mistakenly touched something she found on the sidewalk, right down to taking a step back in retreat.'

(I didn’t see why people complained about the size of the Passport. My daughter said, “It’s because you have giant hands. That could be Hagrid’s cell phone.”)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Generic Monk posted:

they tout this as a good thing in that article.

if your teenage daughter thinks it's a ridiculous piece of poo poo it must be Made for Professionals™.

it's not your daughter's cellphone, it's a blackberry.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
could I turn in my lovely broken 4S, get a blackberry, sell that to some dumbass for a profit?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

could I turn in my lovely broken 4S, get a blackberry, sell that to some dumbass for a profit?

sure, assuming you could find a dumbass to sell it to. blackberry obviously can't

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Generic Monk posted:

lol

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

mishaq posted:

wonder what they'll do with all 5 of the iphones they get

same as Microsoft when they did the same thing awhile back - sell them for a profit and add it to the bottom line to cushion the numbers.

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Scott Forstall posted:

same as Microsoft when they did the same thing awhile back - sell them for a profit and add it to the bottom line to cushion the numbers.

did they actually do that?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Perplx posted:

hahahahahahha

it's not even like she has an iphone she loves -- she prefers android over blackberry :newlol:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

prefect posted:

hahahahahahha

it's not even like she has an iphone she loves -- she prefers android over blackberry :newlol:

battered wife syndrome

"I prefer getting punched in the stomach over getting kicked in the teeth"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's like being beaten with a sack of sweet valencia oranges rather than being punched in the eye, it's still awful, but at least you're not embarrassed to go out in public

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

infernal machines posted:

man's getting cucked by sarnsung. some shameful poo poo.

barb! barb, please the other guys all see you with samsung and they know.. barb. barb you're embarrassing me in front of the other ceos

SAMSUNG
MEANS
TO COME

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Nelson MandEULA posted:

did they actually do that?

yeah, back when they did the WinPho Challenge iirc. thurrot mentioned it on his podcast when it was a line item in their financial filing.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Scott Forstall posted:

yeah, back when they did the WinPho Challenge iirc. thurrot mentioned it on his podcast when it was a line item in their financial filing.

that owns

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

bbry makes a pivot using existing (read: remaining) supply chain and vendor relationships to become the world's premier grey market phone reseller

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

Good to see Chen's wife standing up to spousal abuse.

Looks like you guys missed an event (Nov. 7):

http://business.financialpost.com/2014/11/07/blackberry-ltd-otpp-shares/?__lsa=cb78-424f#__federated=1

quote:

BlackBerry Ltd scores new top 10 investor as Ontario Teachers buys 7.8 million shares

I spotted this in the "trending" feed on FB back when it happened, and spent an hour or two trolling the Teachers Pension Fund.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 29, 2014

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

why not? canadian tech investments have always worked out well for the ontario teacher's pension fund.

just ask them about nortel

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
"Reviews have been decidedly mixed" what the gently caress does this mean

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it means the writer doesn't know what decidedly or mixed means

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Bananalogue posted:

Pros:
- complete garbage
- totally unusable

Cons:
- questionable ability as paperweight

Verge score 9.2

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:

Mister Macys posted:

Looks like you guys missed an event (Nov. 7):

http://business.financialpost.com/2014/11/07/blackberry-ltd-otpp-shares/?__lsa=cb78-424f#__federated=1

I spotted this in the "trending" feed on FB back when it happened, and spent an hour or two trolling the Teachers Pension Fund.

what the gently caress. i still can't believe the one manager at work bought a passport. at least we ditched the bes server a couple years back.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE posted:

what the gently caress. i still can't believe the one manager at work bought a passport. at least we ditched the bes server a couple years back.

you sure he didnt lose a bet

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:

Nintendo Kid posted:

you sure he didnt lose a bet

no, he's super defensive about it though, he's a non technical person with an irrational hatred of apple stuff which is fine, but there's still android and windows phones that are way better than the passport. he was using his playbook until a month ago when he got a surface 3 (i'm really surprised the playbook lasted that long)

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Bananalogue posted:

infernal machines posted:

it means the writer is Canadian and knows all their smokescreen turns of phrase

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
a coworker just got a passport

it's ridiculously huge

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Good news! For only $1500 CAD, The PORSCHE DESIGN P'9982 SMARTPHONE can be yours!

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cell-phone/kitchener-waterloo/blackberry-smart-phone-porsche-design-p9982/1030613228?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

it's being sold in waterloo, you don't say

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
TOOLS NOT TOYS!!

BlackBerry is playing the nostalgia card, announcing the re-release of its Brick Breaker game on the new Classic model.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitch..._medium=twitter

Is anyone else hearing all this stuff about the Passport having some kind of breakthru medical app installed or have I just lived in Waterloo too long?

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Bonzo posted:

TOOLS NOT TOYS!!

BlackBerry is playing the nostalgia card, announcing the re-release of its Brick Breaker game on the new Classic model.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitch..._medium=twitter

Is anyone else hearing all this stuff about the Passport having some kind of breakthru medical app installed or have I just lived in Waterloo too long?

it's hilarious that this is local news in k/w

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
lmao what a poop name

puh-9982

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

blackberry p'zone

• Locked thread