Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
either make him go into a house you never plan on visiting or just a room with a door you can close. remove from party and he'll never even initiate dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
petrify him
or petrify him, soften him, equip a two hander and kai him

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

BG1 is set up with the idea in mind that since it's low level D&D, people are going to die along the way so you can just grab one of the dozen replacements. If Khalid dies, Jaheira sticks around anyway.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Uh, Khalid rules, Jaheira's the one to get gibbed.

Actually, in EE they're both pretty great, 'cause you can give Khalid the Gauntlets of Ogre Power and Jaheira the Brawler's Hands and the 19 strength belt and boom, two amazing front liners.

Branwen will catch up pretty fast if you grind some Flesh Golems or Ankhegs for an hour with her and Charname, just leave everyone else at Friendly Arm.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

bunnielab posted:

Cant you just kill them on sight?

EDIT: How do I get the new BGEE portraits into BG2EE and vice versa?

At least Neera & Hexxat stick out like a sore thumb because of obnoxious cut scenes introducing them. It's not a big deal, but it diminishes the experience for me and I'd rather not deal with them at all.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Metal Meltdown posted:

My big question is how's the Baldurs Gate saga on iPad. I know the enhanced editions are buggy, but is it anything game breaking or will I be able to deal? Icewind Dale was pretty stable with only the ammo bag issues and two quests glitching.

I've asked this a couple of times and it seems that the original Baldur's Gate and expansion works well and without any real issue (but the EE extras are all IAP) but BG2 has some bugs in it that they haven't fixed including unkillable werewolves in the circus tent

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
BG2EE 1.3 beta is now available on Steam. Here's how to activate it:

quote:

To activate the beta branch for the game, follow these steps:

1. In the Steam client, open the Library tab
2. Right-click on "Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition"
3. Select "Properties"
4. Select the "Beta" tab
5. Enter "IWantToTestBGII" in the field provided, then click Check Code
6. Select "updatetesting" from the drop-down
7. Close the Properties window, wait for the game to download the update, and enjoy the beta!
They also released the patch notes which actually highlight some very nice new features. Including improved pathfinding(!), more imported gear from BG1, the game remembers which spells you had memorized before getting level drained, mods can now import variables from BG1 saves, etc.

Took them a year to get even this beta out, but at least it seems to have some very nice improvements in addition to bug fixes.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Now they need to announce that they are doing an IWD2EE.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Can I point how hilarious it is that they released a 36 page PDF to cover all the bugfixes and feature changes in this patch?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Zilkin posted:

BG2EE 1.3 beta is now available on Steam. Here's how to activate it:

They also released the patch notes which actually highlight some very nice new features. Including improved pathfinding(!), more imported gear from BG1, the game remembers which spells you had memorized before getting level drained, mods can now import variables from BG1 saves, etc.

Took them a year to get even this beta out, but at least it seems to have some very nice improvements in addition to bug fixes.

:pusheen:
Whoa!

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Zilkin posted:

the game remembers which spells you had memorized before getting level drained

hot drat. I need this so bad.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

armoredgorilla posted:

Uh, Khalid rules, Jaheira's the one to get gibbed.

Actually, in EE they're both pretty great, 'cause you can give Khalid the Gauntlets of Ogre Power and Jaheira the Brawler's Hands and the 19 strength belt and boom, two amazing front liners.

Branwen will catch up pretty fast if you grind some Flesh Golems or Ankhegs for an hour with her and Charname, just leave everyone else at Friendly Arm.

Not a big Khalid fan, me, though I do like Jaheira when she gets some levels under her belt. Not having a kick-rear end wisdom score hurts her spellcasting potential, though. She becomes godly if you stick with her in BG2, and Khalid isn't around then if you're like me and don't fancy him much.

Sadly, in the Enhanced Edition they took out the Flesh Golem grind spot. It didn't make sense to have it, I agree, but I liked it there as a place to earn experience. Just about every RPG should have a way to grind a bit to catch up, and D&D games where just one or two levels can make a huge difference is certainly no exception. Having characters who can start underleveled because you met them or didn't pick them up late and can really set you back. I think that, when met, NPC's should all have exactly as much exp as the main character and have it adjusted to that value if they leave and rejoin the party so that they always keep pace, but I've never found a patch for that.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Does anyone know how pickpocketing from NPCs (not stores) works? My 100% pickpocketing bard is consistently failing to steal from Brennan Ristling (Mencar Pebblecrushers's thief buddy), but I had no problems cleaning out the rest of his crew. Even with a potion of master thievery consumed, he is still failing a lot. Now, checking Brennan's CRE file, he's got 70% pickpocketing skill, so maybe that's applied as a penalty to my roll? Or maybe not, who knows.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I just want them to put the ipad versions on sale for christmas dammit :argh:

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

armoredgorilla posted:

Can I point how hilarious it is that they released a 36 page PDF to cover all the bugfixes and feature changes in this patch?

It is insanely funny

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

verybad posted:

Does anyone know how pickpocketing from NPCs (not stores) works? My 100% pickpocketing bard is consistently failing to steal from Brennan Ristling (Mencar Pebblecrushers's thief buddy), but I had no problems cleaning out the rest of his crew. Even with a potion of master thievery consumed, he is still failing a lot. Now, checking Brennan's CRE file, he's got 70% pickpocketing skill, so maybe that's applied as a penalty to my roll? Or maybe not, who knows.

You can quaff an additional master thievery potion, the effects stack. Don't exceed 255, though, or your skill resets to 0.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

verybad posted:

pick pockets:
code:

r = rand(1,100)
          if (r == 100) pp_fail()
          diff = actor->mod_pp_skill - target->mod_pp_skill
          if (r >= diff) pp_fail()
          if (target->mod_pp_skill == 255) pp_fail()

steal in store:
code:

if ((actor->mod_pp_skill < store_steal_rate)
           or (store_steal_rate == 100))
              diff = 0
          else
              diff = actor->mod_pp_skill - store_steal_rate
          r = rand(1,100)
          if (r > diff) steal_fail()

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Yeah pick pockets is the only skill worth pushing above 100% really.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

So, if I understood that correctly...

1) pick pockets is a d100 roll, and you have to roll lower than your pickpocketing skill - enemy pickpocketing, 100 always fails? Does Luck factor into it?

2) stealing from stores is a d100 roll, and you have to roll lower than your pickpocketing skill - store difficulty, no chance of critical failure?

fong posted:

Yeah pick pockets is the only skill worth pushing above 100% really.

Yeah I knew that, but what I didn't know is that there can be penalties for stealing from NPCs, not just stores.

(Stealth is worth pushing over 100% too, though.)

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
1) Yes, and no, that's the full code
2) Yup. You fail automatically if you don't have high enough PP skill. The difference is, the steal rate is something completely different than target PP, it wont 'be higher than 100 and you will never be able to steal from the shops that have a 100% steal rate because that's also an autofailure even if you have over 100% PP

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

1) Yes, and no, that's the full code
2) Yup. You fail automatically if you don't have high enough PP skill. The difference is, the steal rate is something completely different than target PP, it wont 'be higher than 100 and you will never be able to steal from the shops that have a 100% steal rate because that's also an autofailure even if you have over 100% PP

Am I right to assume shops that have 100% steal rate don't even have a steal tab (like Ribald Barterman)? I can't remember failing to clear out any vendor with a 240% pp thief.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Finished Baldur's Gate 1 finally for the first time! Played it a few times before but always got bored. I gotta admit I skipped most of the side quests.

I'm annoyed to hear how awful BG2 enhanced edition is with all the bugs. I want the nice fonts and the quick loot thing.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Excelzior posted:

Am I right to assume shops that have 100% steal rate don't even have a steal tab (like Ribald Barterman)? I can't remember failing to clear out any vendor with a 240% pp thief.

The hardest vendor to steal from is the one in the Copper Coronet IIRC, you'd probably need a high pickpocket around that level to jack his poo poo (again, easy to achieve with multiple potion of master thievery/power).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

hemale in pain posted:

Finished Baldur's Gate 1 finally for the first time! Played it a few times before but always got bored. I gotta admit I skipped most of the side quests.

I'm annoyed to hear how awful BG2 enhanced edition is with all the bugs. I want the nice fonts and the quick loot thing.

It just got a patch.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
Think they just started beta testing the patch for BG2EE. Probably be another month at least before it's released.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I just downloaded the update to BG1 for iOS.

It removed neera, dorn, and the portrait pack, which are Dlc I have already purchased.

What gives?

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
I keep banging on about abandoned companion locations, but I got another situation bugging me. I just picked up Dynaheir and I guess I'll leave Xan behind. But, y'know, he's in a gnoll fortress and I don't know if those buggers are going to respawn and just kill him. Will that happen? Because that seems like an obvious problem to fix.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

hemale in pain posted:

I played through all of BGEE without any bugs I can remember :confused:

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I keep banging on about abandoned companion locations, but I got another situation bugging me. I just picked up Dynaheir and I guess I'll leave Xan behind. But, y'know, he's in a gnoll fortress and I don't know if those buggers are going to respawn and just kill him. Will that happen? Because that seems like an obvious problem to fix.

I have been wondering this myself. I think I am about to drown a dwarf because the companions are too dumb to go hang out at the Inn or something. I've left about every recruitable character I have encountered right where I met them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Flip Yr Wig posted:

1) I don't think they'll kill Xan, and 2) If they do that's not the worst thing in the world.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

What's up with the Improved Shadow Lord in SCS?

So far the mod has been a blast, leveling the playing field by making casters prebuff/use spells somewhat intelligently and giving fighter-types enough potions to make them scary. Definitely harder, but the enemies are just matching what I'm doing. Then the Shadow Lord shows up with his Shadow Aura, which seems to be a save or be drained, and if you get drained below level 1 you get auto-chunked and turned into a shadow. All this on top of decent casting abilities.

Maybe I went to him too early (party was mostly level 9, had ~4 casts of Negative Plane Protection total) but the aura kicked my rear end over and over. I could maybe see it on a late-game boss, when you have more options to protect you from the aura and can drop his defenses more quickly, but putting that rear end in a top hat at the end of an otherwise easy, earlygame dungeon was killer.

I eventually brute forced it with luck on saves, but it just seemed really odd to give an early boss such a unique and nasty ability in a mod that's been otherwise about bringing enemies up to your level. Did I just approach him wrong?

SodomyGoat101
Nov 20, 2012
Yeah, that fight the author of the mod admitted he ran out of actually decent ideas for and just phoned it in. He admits that it's terribly balanced, but it's okay because it's technically a beta version or whatever. It's loving retarded, and I never install it. His aura also gets worse the higher your difficulty is, I think.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

I've started up BG1 on my iPad now. My question is how should I distribute Imoens thief skills? I figure I should pump pickpockets early to start swiping loot. I know about Algernons cloak, but are there any other pickpockets I should aim for?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Go traps and open locks until they're at 100, then you can bump up whatever you feel like. I don't bother with stealth on Imoen because she's too weak and squishy to get in melee, so I usually do set traps next. Pick pocket is a pretty rare use so I just buy or stockpile potions of master thievery for the few times I want to do it.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

JustJeff88 posted:

Sadly, in the Enhanced Edition they took out the Flesh Golem grind spot. It didn't make sense to have it, I agree, but I liked it there as a place to earn experience.
Resting in the Ankheg cave lets you grind quite efficiently.

Metal Meltdown posted:

I've started up BG1 on my iPad now. My question is how should I distribute Imoens thief skills? I figure I should pump pickpockets early to start swiping loot. I know about Algernons cloak, but are there any other pickpockets I should aim for?
The game gives you a ton of treasure, so pickpocketing isn't really necessary. There are only a handful of NPCs with interesting items. In addition to Algernon there's the meditating female dwarf in Ulgoth's Beard who has a Ring of Free Action and one of the ghosts in the Firewine dungeon has a Longbow of Marksmanship. As fong said, you can find or buy potions of master thievery (two merchants in the starting area of the Baldur's Gate city have 10 each) so there's no need to spend points in it. Getting Find Traps and Open Locks to 100 is the priority with a thief.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The Ilmater priest outside of Firewine bridge has a scroll of magic immunity on him that you can only get by murder/pickpocketing.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Algernon's cloak was nerfed in the enhanced edition so it doesn't have unlimited uses per day. The charm is still really useful, but not to the point where it's worth designing a
character around it.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
So what's the point of Find Traps without Disable Traps, which doesn't seem to be in BG1? Let your tank walk into it?

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Algernon's cloak was nerfed in the enhanced edition so it doesn't have unlimited uses per day. The charm is still really useful, but not to the point where it's worth designing a
character around it.
I also find it useful for raising my party spokesman's charisma. Algernon's cloak combined with the Helm of Glory one gets off Jardak in the Northern section of Baldur's Gate lets Ajantis for example have a 20 Charisma (which suffices to give the maximum possible discounts in stores).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Holy poo poo those patch notes. took like half an hour to get through. I really want to try out an Iron Man run of BG1 and 2 now.