Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah. I should probably remove the links, but there's nothing to really... replace them with. Which is just sort of depressing...

:effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Tenbux McGee posted:

In other news, I subbed and hit 40 with a munitions AT. I now strongly anticipate a shutdown notice now that I've joined the (really late) party.

Be sure to put something in your character slots, I don't think you get to keep your slots if they're empty when you let your sub lapse.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Some people are apparently creating a new wiki as we speak.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

I'm currently debating giving the game a go and am still reading through the thread, but I did have a quick question. How often does lifetime subs go on sale with CO? I got one for STO years back when it was on sale and haven't regretted it.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

M_Sinistrari posted:

I'm currently debating giving the game a go and am still reading through the thread, but I did have a quick question. How often does lifetime subs go on sale with CO? I got one for STO years back when it was on sale and haven't regretted it.

Typically they go on sale during big releases or during the anniversaries in STO. No clue how it works in CO but I imagine it's something similar.

sharkbeard
Jun 24, 2013

Completely Unamused
My first character was based on a game character from a game I played earlier that day, I was also super tired at the time.

Now my second character is called Kari@Sharkbeard and is from a story I wrote that got published in a local magazine. Only as a super high school anime elf super hero thing instead of a detective. Yeah. That makes sense

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
That's ok, most of my gold characters are ripoffs from comics or video games and my silver is a magician/luchadora.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

sharkbeard posted:

My first character was based on a game character from a game I played earlier that day, I was also super tired at the time.

Now my second character is called Kari@Sharkbeard and is from a story I wrote that got published in a local magazine. Only as a super high school anime elf super hero thing instead of a detective. Yeah. That makes sense

You have permissions to invite your own characters, you can do "/sginvite Kari@Sharkbeard" with the first character and after the new character joins, do "/sgpromote Kari@Sharkbeard" with the first character.

e: actually do /sgpromote twice

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 29, 2014

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Holy poo poo

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Flesh Forge posted:

Holy poo poo

You should see the old dinosaur suit you can get from a lockbox.

Let's you run around looking like a lovely version of Barney the Dinosaur. It's hilarious. Especially if you pair it with the slime skin set to red, which makes it look like it's covered in blood.

I had a melee weapon user running around with it and a chainsaw or something for a bit. Got a ton of :stare: looks from people.

Edit: Found a video of it colored green. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT3iiTCB_yk

Archonex fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 31, 2014

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Flesh Forge posted:

Holy poo poo

Whyyyyy is there not a letterman jacket in this idiot game :(

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

CO is really doing a good job releasing costume stuff that could actually be fun to use lately. Props to whoever got stuck making that stuff.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
Now if only they'd give us something new to do while wearing all these surprisingly good costume sets.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Here's some archetypes I hope they add:

THE OPEN HAND

Role: Support

Primary Superstat: Presence
Secondary Superstat: Dexterity
Secondary Superstat: Intelligence

Innate Talent: ??? (I'd like a new innate talent here that suits this AT really)

1: Unarmed/Vicious Strikes
1: Undarmed/Thundering Kicks

6: Unarmed/Crashing Wave Kick

8: Primal Sorcery/Aura of Primal Majesty

11: Unarmed/Thunderbolt Lunge

14: Telepathy/Manipulator

17: Unarmed/Inexorable Tides OR Unarmed/Smoke Bomb

21: Unarmed/Bountiful Chi Recovery

25: Unarmed/Fluidity OR Telekinesis/Telekinetic Shield

30: Celestial/Iniquity OR Unarmed/Burning Chi Fist

35: Unarmed/Dragon Kick

40: Telekinesis/Telekinetic Eruption OR Telepathy/Ego Storm

Specialization Trees:
Presence
Sentinel (Support)
Arbiter (Melee/Support)

THE GRAVEPACT

Role: Support

Primary Superstat: Ego
Secondary Superstat: Presence
Secondary Superstat: Intelligence

Innate Talent: The Grimoire

1: Darkness/Shadow Bolt
1: Darkness/Shadow Blast

6: Darkness/Shadow Embrace

8: Sorcery/Aura of Ebon Destruction

11: Energy Projector/Concentration OR Darkness/Compassion

14: Sorcery/March of the Dead

17: Darkness/Spirit Reverberation

21: Darkness/Ebon Void OR Sorcery/Eldritch Shield

25: Darkness/Lifedrain

30: Darkness/Dark Transfusion OR Sorcery/Circle of Ebon Wrath

35: Darkness/Ebon Rift OR Darkness/Void Horror

40: Darkness/Summon Shadows

Specialization Trees:
Ego
Sentry (Support/Tank)
Commander (Pure Pet)

THE BEASTLORD

Role: Balanced

Primary Superstat: Intelligence
Secondary Superstat: Ego
Secondary Superstat: Dexterity

Innate Talent: The Marksman

1: Archery/Strafe
1: Archery/Straight Shot

6: Archery/Sonic Arrow

8: Archery/Quarry

11: Archery/Storm of Arrows OR Archery/Torrent of Arrows

14: Archery/Concentration OR Telepathy/Manipulator

17: Supernatural/Command Animals

21: Archery/Hunter's Instinct

25: Supernatural/Howl

30: Supernatural/Soul Mesmerism OR Sorcery/Urthona's Charm

35: Archery/Evasive Maneuvers OR Archery/Gas Arrow

40: Ice/Arctic Beast

Specialization Trees:
Intelligence
Guardian (Range/Tank)
Commander (Pure Pet)

THE BRUTE

Role: Brawler

Primary Superstat: Strength
Secondary Superstat: Constitution
Secondary Superstat: Endurance

Innate Talent: The Devastator

1: Might/Clobber
1: Might/Beatdown

6: Might/Mighty Leap

8: Might/Unstoppable

11: Might/Hurl OR Might/Iron Chain

14: Might/Enrage

17: Might/Iron Cyclone OR Demolish

21: Might/Retaliation

25: Might/Haymaker

30: Might/Aggressor OR Power Armor/Unbreakable

35: Might/Havoc Stomp

40: Might/Unleashed Rage

Specialization Trees:
Strength
Brawler (Melee)
Vindicator (Melee/Range)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

If any of you goons are into lockboxes, there are now at least several dozen of every type from the last event (now that it's finally over) cluttering up Tab 2 of the SG bank, enjoy.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Dudes watch The Flash it loving owns

For real this is pretty much the best comic book on screen poo poo in history, none of that dumb angsty grimdark poo poo

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Apparently they're running the Nighthawk Event starting Friday. I never knew this was an actual event but OK.

quote:

Participate in the bonus event and earn bonus daily Questionite and unravel the mystery of this former Champion's return to Millennium City. The Nighthawk Event is a mission tree that begins at Defender, in the Renaissance Center, and awards 2,000 Questionite and some exclusive Nighthawk devices.

I guess this is your chance to understand what the gently caress is going on with the "NIGHTHAWK?" villain, if you didn't already know (I don't) yet were too lazy to google the lore on it (I am).

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
Oh, noticed a few new auras and I had a few keys to splurge on a costume idea, but I'd like to flesh it out a bit and check with people here what build suggestions there are.

I've been meaning to create a debuffer and stunner to tackle most lieutenant mobs in Alerts and standing content, while also retaining utility and probably debuffing or damage against boss enemies up to the Rampages. Preferably not a healer, mind, I've already got a kinda-sorta dedicated healer. Someone had a great deal of success with a Telepath, if I recall correctly. What powers should I be considering?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

That pretty much sounds like Flesh Forge's build for Mamushi, which does the things you said but also spin kicks:

Flesh Forge posted:

Here's a wonderful thing: a melee controller that does pretty good damage. It's like a combination of the best things of COX's controllers and dominators:

quote:

PowerHouse http://powerhouse.nullware.com/

Link to this build: http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powe...J000nOI0E7F0cjL

Name: Mamushi

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
Level 6: Presence (Primary)
Level 10: Intelligence (Secondary)
Level 15: Dexterity (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: Incandescent
Level 6: Intimidating
Level 9: Finesse
Level 12: Diplomatic
Level 15: Sniper Training
Level 18: Discipline Training
Level 21: Jack of All Trades

Powers:
Level 1: Righteous Fists
Level 1: Crashing Wave Kick (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 6: Smoke Bomb Lunge (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 8: Aura of Primal Majesty (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Manipulator
Level 14: Dragon Kick (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 17: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 20: Sigils of Ebon Weakness (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 23: Telekinetic Maelstrom (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 26: Evasive Maneuvers (Sleight of Mind)
Level 29: Iniquity (Rank 2, Justice)
Level 32: Mental Storm
Level 35: Redemption
Level 38: Rebirth

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Teleportation (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Acrobatics

Specializations:
Presence: Dominion (2/2)
Presence: Grandeur (3/3)
Presence: Moment of Glory (3/3)
Presence: Force of Will (2/2)
Sentry: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Sentry: Precise (1/3)
Sentry: Sentry Aura (3/3)
Sentry: Stalling Tactics (3/3)
Sentinel: Torment (2/2)
Sentinel: Caregiver (3/3)
Sentinel: Moment of Need (3/3)
Sentinel: Wither (2/2)
Mastery: Sentinel Mastery (1/1)

Again, I plan to pile up as much Presence as possible. It really pleases me that there's several ways to be a very good crowd controller in this game. It also tickles me that Presence (charisma) is a powergamer stat.

Maybe FF has updates to it, I don't know, but I do know that this character is a ridiculously OP buff/stun machine.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Nope, I never felt the urge to modify that build at all, she remains the character of which I was most proud and found the most fun. Put all your equip slots into Presence, including getting some Soandso's Gloves of Growth at some point. You heal a ton but it's all automated, due to Sentinel Mastery.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
So I've got a new Ranged DPS Wind Type and I pretty much keep getting creamed because I aggro everything. What would be a good Defensive passive to bolster my survivability a bit? Everybody tells me to just take Aura of Primal Majesty and call it a day. The stat boosts look really nice, but I don't see what exactly that's going to do for me for staying alive any better. Am I missing something here?

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
A ranged DPS shouldn't be taking a defensive passive, doing so would make you nothing more than a ranged "_________" taking up space. Take Unbreakable and Conviction when you get the chance, and that should give you some more survivability. I was also having aggro problems on Alerts with my Wind/Lightning hybrid, so I know what you're going through.

I use Stormbringer on mine. AoPM boosts all of your stats- offensive and defensive, so there's that going for it. It is probably the best all around passive to take, but at least give the one belonging to your particular framework a try first.

Brave New World fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 12, 2014

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
I'll try that out instead, save myself a respec token. Already got Stormbringer, so I'll stick with it. Though it means I probably am going to have to wait a bit longer to dabble in mixing Lightning or Ice with my Wind, which was one of the main things that attracted me to it in the first place.

the Val
Nov 21, 2005

Just wait till tomorrow
I guess that's what they all say
Just before they fall apart
I picked this game up on a friends' recommendation after two years of not playing a superhero MMO. I'm Fire-kissed@valyzel if I can get an invite to the goon supergroup thing.

Oh, and nobody ever seems to talk in the SuperGoon channel, even when I poke around in there. I am pretty sure I have the right one, but all the same.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'm playing Marvel Heroes pretty heavily right now but I'll be happy to do your invite and give you self-invite privileges. If you create further characters, the syntax to invite them is "/sginvite Character@Username" and then switch to that character to accept the invite; and then switch back to the first character and do "/sgpromote Character@Username" two times. Please feel free to take anything in the SG bank, that's what it's for.

PS other goons, Bonus Questionite weekend is on now (guess I won't be able to convert my 850k or so Questionite back to Zen at a reasonable rate for a while)

the Val
Nov 21, 2005

Just wait till tomorrow
I guess that's what they all say
Just before they fall apart
I don't know enough about freeform builds in this game to come up with something on my own. Does anyone have any idea if a sort of fire-themed tanky build is viable? I just want to feel that immortal/damaging vibe that City's SS/Fire had.

But primarily I don't want to die, and also be useful in groups.

(And not helpless solo.)

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

If you want to feel immortal, roll with Regeneration and take Devour Essence for emergencies. Thermal Reverberation will make it basically impossible to run out of energy as long as you're using fire attacks, but maybe you were more looking for super-strength punches?

EDIT: A cool thing about CoH was their off-the-wall defensive power sets like Fire Shields and such. We really don't get anything that esoteric in Champions, sadly.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
Well, this is more fire 'themed' than actually using fire. Because I quickly realized 'poison is elemental damage, fire is elemental damage, boy howdy, let's debuff to fire and poison and go nuts and make the poison attacks yellow/orange for effect.'

I had a ton of fun with it, mind. Very solid, sturdy, good recovery. Many ticks, many crits. Not much in the way of hard aggro generation, but given that you generate energy continuously and feed your Epidemic PBAOE (and keep your Fiery Form PBAOE active too), you may not have too much trouble holding aggro when a lowbie tank or a bad player comes rolling along.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

LordSaturn posted:

If you want to feel immortal, roll with Regeneration and take Devour Essence for emergencies. Thermal Reverberation will make it basically impossible to run out of energy as long as you're using fire attacks, but maybe you were more looking for super-strength punches?

EDIT: A cool thing about CoH was their off-the-wall defensive power sets like Fire Shields and such. We really don't get anything that esoteric in Champions, sadly.

This is reminding me of my last stab at the game making Scott Scorcher, just a simple man from Rhode Island who was never part of a mutant gang that would be crazy-oooh! Ninjas! Light those fuckers on fire it's just like old times :unsmith:

I have this horrible problem with feeling really bored by the early game because it's just so easy to kill most early game mobs by mashing the same AoE attack over and over forever. Fireball, fireball, fireball, am I out of energy no thermal reverb is handling that. How's my health? Just fine unless I accidentally pulled like, 3 mobs or something. Didn't I pick up fire snake, heat rat, and other things? :effort: Replace with mashing AoE dual blades attack, or shotgun, whatever for other sets. (I miss air juggling enemies to death with game launch shotgun)

The reminder that poison = elemental damage is cool though. Pretend it's gasoline or something.

EDIT: Electricity had that PbAoE you could get the perk to let it run all by itself while you did other things. So that, plus one of the block upgrades with a tiny damage cone at least helped in "Kill people while blocking" gameplay.

I hate the F2P model, want to play with too many things so even buying a freeform slot isn't good enough (plus all those launch costume parts relabled as "New premium content" locked behind the subscription wall :argh:) So I'm only ever willing to play when splurging on a subscription. But I hardly feel willing to splurge on a subscription.

Just one of those things where I think the game is not bad, but would be wasting most of my subscription time as I get distracted by other things.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 23, 2014

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Jeez, spend an hour making a character. Finally log in, character lacks a bunch of stuff I added. Some googling later, a ton of options that I randomed into are locked behind level 10. So dumb.

Edit: Make that all paid costume pieces. Most of what's there were paid stuff not marked as such. So weird.

Cynic Jester fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 23, 2014

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Cynic Jester posted:

Jeez, spend an hour making a character. Finally log in, character lacks a bunch of stuff I added. Some googling later, a ton of options that I randomed into are locked behind level 10. So dumb.

Edit: Make that all paid costume pieces. Most of what's there were paid stuff not marked as such. So weird.

Rather, it's after the tutorial. Finish that, costume up again. Yes, it's dumb.

Thankfully, you can skip the tutorial and get access to all costume bits proper.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I appreciate the idea Cryptic was going for - the costume creator is complex and poorly explained and loaded with options, and it's probably a massive turnoff to indecisive new players - but the way they did it was pretty much the worst possible way of handling it, yes.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
That's something I never quite got. Either I played this game too long, or videogames in general, but I never got the criticisms about Champion's character editor being too complex. You've got your tabs. Obvious buttons. Colour channels are very clearly laid out. Even in beta I made monstrosities or things looking markedly different from the stock AT looks. Why can others not do so too? Is it curiosity or willingness to putz around with options, or even to pause and ask?

Ignoring the legacy engine's limitations for a moment, just how would a more intuitive and inviting character editor GUI look like?

Admittedly I do :shobon: at seeing New Champions xxxxx with stock AT looks with just enough changes to their model that they stand out.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I think it's nesting dropdown categories within tabbed categories that gets a little confusing. And sometimes dropdowns within dropdowns, bumpmap options alongside texture options. A lot of people take a while to notice all the things they can do in the costume editor. It's very powerful for an MMO, and the sheer volume of sliders here is basically only rivaled by Cryptic's other games (and one or two that are really good at realistic humans like APB but cant get deep into weirdy stuff like CO or STO) but there's so much going on it can be a little intimidating.

CoH solved some of this by having easily selectable costume sets. CO kind of does that with the pre-made costumes for the various ATs. These are good solutions for players who don't care about looks and just want to get in and play. But I'm not sure how else you improve the system.

Would anyone really bother with a tutorial for the costume creator? I can't imagine a significant percent of players would opt to sit through it rather than skip it.

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Dec 23, 2014

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Kelp Plankton posted:

I think it's nesting dropdown categories within tabbed categories that gets a little confusing. And sometimes dropdowns within dropdowns, bumpmap options alongside texture options. A lot of people take a while to notice all the things they can do in the costume editor. It's very powerful for an MMO, and the sheer volume of sliders here is basically only rivaled by Cryptic's other games (and one or two that are really good at realistic humans like APB but cant get deep into weirdy stuff like CO or STO) but there's so much going on it can be a little intimidating.

These, plus the fact that if you select certain options, others are flat out removed, instead of being greyed out or something, are what really annoy me with the editor. It makes building your first few characters a gigantic pain in the rear end.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

I just got back to fiddling with the costume creator recently and goddamn if the redundant categories for gloves/chest/hipwear got exhausting to navigate between, especially when you can't remember which categories house which looks.

I know they want to avoid major clipping issues, but putting that chestpiece in its own category because it happens to span the shoulders isn't intuitive at all. As if the first question anyone asks when choosing a shirt isn't "what's cool" or "what make sense" but "how many accessory slots is this part potentially gonna overwrite?".

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Dinictus posted:

That's something I never quite got. Either I played this game too long, or videogames in general, but I never got the criticisms about Champion's character editor being too complex. You've got your tabs. Obvious buttons. Colour channels are very clearly laid out. Even in beta I made monstrosities or things looking markedly different from the stock AT looks. Why can others not do so too? Is it curiosity or willingness to putz around with options, or even to pause and ask?

Ignoring the legacy engine's limitations for a moment, just how would a more intuitive and inviting character editor GUI look like?

Admittedly I do :shobon: at seeing New Champions xxxxx with stock AT looks with just enough changes to their model that they stand out.

While CO's creator has more options, CoX's was way more intuitive. Cryptic did a poor job of designing their individual costume categories, organizing them, and presenting them to you in the UI.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It was intuitive because it only had a handful of options.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

OH poo poo SON

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It's true though. The reason ChampO's chargen is so complicated and newbie-intimidating is because there's just so much to pick, and a lot of it doesn't really mean much. Even if you're looking at some completely off the shelf costume with all the same parts you're looking at, what, a dozen different options plus the four linked colors plus all the sliders? And that's not getting into the weirdness of how the lists aren't arranged alphabetically or in any sort of sane order. Once you start getting into something mix and match the amount of options rise exponentially, and it's pretty easy to wind up taking half an hour or more to actually make something satisfying.

Don't get me wrong, the character generator is probably the best part of the game, but if they wanted to actually make it friendly to newbies they could do a dropdown with a few pre-made/themed costumes, a handful of premade body builds, and let people experiment more once they're in game and have a good base to start from. But well, there's a lot of things Atari and Cryptic flubbed when the game went F2P.