Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Jesus christ, backgrounds are actually going up above $0.03. This is hilariously dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The top bid for the 2014 Holiday Profile, a thing that puts snow on your profile page and ceases to exist in January is 82,100 gems.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Maybe it's an experiment on how to destroy the supply and giving people an incentive to do so. You'll be able to recycle for gems after all this is over in order to craft boosters. Everything might become more expensive because they will all have a second purpose and more value because of it. Or nothing will change except for backgrounds and emoticons costing a couple cents more.

Me gusta.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
There's no way to sort of the list of games up for auction by whether they're in your wishlist, is there?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Crap, I just sold 50 cards for 2 bucks. :downs::negative:

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Well, this was a good weekend to head out of town with no access to my steam account. Wonder if this is a dry run and they'll do it again over the sale.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Does crafting badges now create Holiday Sale cards?

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Eh, this seems like the kind of poo poo that you need a bot for in order to actually do anything worthwhile.

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe
Finished Child of Light today, wrote a review-poem about it that's almost as bad as 99% of the writing in the game. http://store.steampowered.com/recommended/recommendgame/256290

Seriously, how do you make the gimmick of your entire story "it's a rhyming fairytale!" and then suck so, so, bad at writing?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

CS:GO is $15 in the Steam Store when not on sale.

The auction for CS:GO is currently up to $13.35 in gem money and still rising, hahaha

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So it's literally free then for someone who is clearing out all their lovely backgrounds/emotes?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Im_Special posted:

So it's literally free then for someone who is clearing out all their lovely backgrounds/emotes?

If you win the bid, yeah. The issue though is that the bids are exceeding what the games are worth so you'd be better off just selling your cards instead of making them into gems. Even more so now because cards and emotes are going to be skyrocketing in prices

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Kuros posted:

Eh, this seems like the kind of poo poo that you need a bot for in order to actually do anything worthwhile.

Are bots even worth bothering with for commodities? Just place your buy order at whatever and leave it.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
Gem prices are dropping like a rock. Wonder if they'll recover as people run out of emotes.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This is the only 3 day auction though. After that they're 45 minutes long. Depending on number of games that could spur more sensible auction amounts.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

If you wanna play the gem market right now would be a good time. Gem prices are dropping like a rock on the markteplace yet there are still orders from when this first went live so you can fill orders worth twice what they're going for

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Im_Special posted:

That's what I'm doing. I'm only looking to buy one game this year and if I can get it for free instead, why not?

EDIT: I should have waited to buy gems though. The prices are crashing!

Slimy Hog fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 12, 2014

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

A bag of 1000 gems is worth about what two backgrounds are now. Two backgrounds are worth 200 gems :downsbravo:

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Kibayasu posted:

Though if that's legit that level 3 "Win an auction" badge will forever haunt me because there's no way I'll try to actually win anything but like hell I'm not going to get the badges.

I feel the same way.

God help me. I just bought 100 :postcardf: for $3.

edit: ^^^ poo poo, I guess I've made a mistake.

Lister fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 12, 2014

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I'm tired so maybe I'm loving up but CS:GO is currently up for 80100 gems.
80100 * 0.03 / 100 = $24.03 right?
That's how many gems are offered for CS:GO, a game worth like 15 bucks when its not on sale.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

I can't even place a buy order on the bag of gems. :downs:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Think itll be worth it to horde a bunch of backgrounds then sell them later or will the gems not be gained on the 2nd transaction?

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS
Did any one of you play the Marvelous Miss Take?

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the

Kuros posted:

I can't even place a buy order on the bag of gems. :downs:

Same :(

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I feel like giving people the option to just make booster packs is silly, since any reasonable person will just do that.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Dr. VooDoo posted:

A bag of 1000 gems is worth about what two backgrounds are now. Two backgrounds are worth 200 gems :downsbravo:

Steam users managed to completely gently caress up the market in an hour.

This is why government regulation is a good thing.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Eruonen posted:

I'm tired so maybe I'm loving up but CS:GO is currently up for 80100 gems.
80100 * 0.03 / 100 = $24.03 right?
That's how many gems are offered for CS:GO, a game worth like 15 bucks when its not on sale.

That's just the highest bid, there are 100 copies of each game to bid on.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

Justin_Brett posted:

I feel like giving people the option to just make booster packs is silly, since any reasonable person will just do that.

Some of the bids for less popular games are quite low. I imagine they'll be even lower towards the end of the event when people run out gems.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I converted my $2 of Steambuck credit into gems and now they're worthless!

(I have the financial sense of a rock).

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

Do we know how many gems to a booster pack?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Crashbee posted:

That's just the highest bid, there are 100 copies of each game to bid on.

But will all 100 be won at 10:45 AM on Dec. 15th? I think just 1 will be won at that time, and then another 1 each 45 minutes thereafter, right?

That is -- there's only one winner each auction, right?

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Kuros posted:

Do we know how many gems to a booster pack?

The right booster pack could get you as much as 60 cents (like port royal 3)

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004

I love you, boy. One pack, always.

Lipstick Apathy

McCoy Pauley posted:

But will all 100 be won at 10:45 AM on Dec. 15th? I think just 1 will be won at that time, and then another 1 each 45 minutes thereafter, right?

That is -- there's only one winner each auction, right?

Yes, and if you lose, your bid carries over.

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

Anatharon posted:

Crap, I just sold 50 cards for 2 bucks. :downs::negative:

Use that two bucks to buy 3 or 4 cent backgrounds and turn them into gems. Save gems until the last day of the auction. You'll come out ahead.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Some little voice in my head is telling my I'd be stupid to not buy gems. I'm trying to inform it that it is what is stupid but I don't think I'm winning the argument.

Not that it matters since Buy orders on gem sacks don't work at all.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

I was wondering what was up when I checked my e-mail tonight and had about 40 "You sold an item on the Community Market" messages and they were all for a cent each. At least this event is cleaning out the dregs of my steam marketplace listings.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Dec 12, 2014

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!
Forgive me if this is a silly question, but can anyone tell me how/if I can turn gems into booster packs? I keep getting an error page.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Aristophanes posted:

Forgive me if this is a silly question, but can anyone tell me how/if I can turn gems into booster packs? I keep getting an error page.

I can only guess we aren't allowed to yet.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Eh, 10K gems will be plenty to mess around with, and only cost me $3. For those collecting 200K+ gems, you should get some help. That's at least $60 worth! Just buy whatever game you want! Holy moly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

vmdvr posted:

Use that two bucks to buy 3 or 4 cent backgrounds and turn them into gems. Save gems until the last day of the auction. You'll come out ahead.

on what. do you really think you're going to end up getting a game for less than (the game's on sale price this christmas or in the near future) - (the time it takes to farm and generate all those lovely gems)

• Locked thread