Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

sincx posted:

What happened to the series?

Author married

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I need my fix.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 23, 2021

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah it isn't the translators, the author seems to be on a break. Sounds like there might be a chapter out Friday(tommorow) though.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Yes, the writer got married, that's why it's on break for two weeks. They return next week. You guys have been following along with the Korean readers with no backlog, hence the two week gap in translations.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
New chapter is out http://mangacow.co/The-Gamer/66/?all

Thoughts:
1. WISDOM!! Finally the thread is validated.
2. "I think therefore I exist - Dekarut." Hahahaha

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Whenever someone says, "What could possibly go wrong?" I don't think it's actually the person saying that, but a sound the universe makes when it is about to gently caress you up.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
God drat it Jee-Han I've been telling you this entire time.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Doubled his mana regen % with far less points than it would have taken for him to double his mana. Go Jee-Han, be wise!

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

jon joe posted:

Doubled his mana regen % with far less points than it would have taken for him to double his mana. Go Jee-Han, be wise!

Now I can't complain about his low wisdom anymore. :(

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I hope the next level earth elemental is just Gnome but eight feet tall.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Sindai posted:

I hope the next level earth elemental is just Gnome but eight feet tall.

I hope it's like, a big golem dog she can ride.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

The picture of him when he's holding the books was the best part of this last chapter:

e: added image

Dan7el fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 19, 2014

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
"I think therefore I exist." - Derakut

yup that checks out

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The worst part is that I can't tell if that's a terrible translation or if it was slightly altered in Korean too.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

PFlats posted:

"I think therefore I exist." - Derakut

yup that checks out

Hey now. It said Dekarut, and that's almost kinda Descartes, a little bit,

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Man I keep waiting for the shoe to drop and that chapter felt foreboding as all hell.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Is that actually a thing in KMMOs? You get a skill to 99 and then you get V2 of the skill? Which you have to grind to 99 again? :shepface:

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Clarste posted:

The worst part is that I can't tell if that's a terrible translation or if it was slightly altered in Korean too.
I feel like if this was an actually fantasy setting Derakut would just be a tongue in cheek fantasy version of Descartes, but since this is taking place in the real world (or a world that's similar to the real world), I would imagine the translator just screwed up. Impossible to say without looking at the original text though.

SSNeoman posted:

Is that actually a thing in KMMOs? You get a skill to 99 and then you get V2 of the skill? Which you have to grind to 99 again? :shepface:
I have't played MMOs that do that, but that is a thing that I've seen. Korean MMOs are grindy as all hell.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Finally, it's happened! Sweet, sweet wisdom!

Also, he's an idiot for not checking on what each skill does before using all his points. I guess that's an example of low wisdom preventing him from doing that?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

At some point they compared point values to 'real' world equivalents and what he has is above average now iirc.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Real world equivalents to high school students.

Also, assuming that the wisdom skill doesn't have a cap, if he manages to boost it to 1k, he'll be completely and passively immune to magic. Maybe even sooner if the milestone increases the rate, or he gets a passive skill that boosts it.

At which point he'll find someone who can pierce through magic defense.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
I want to see him flying high and save, commanding his golem army. He should just buy these skill books non-stop and get every skill there is as if he isn't OPed as gently caress now

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I wonder how you would grind wisdom like you would strength and vitality.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Honestly kind of wondering if Jee-han's by now radically changed attitude is going to bite him in the rear end. Maybe his parents will notice?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ice Phisherman posted:

You probably can't grind it per se, but he got bonus points by thinking carefully and coming up with good ideas.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Clarste posted:

Translator ignorance, completely. Not altered at all in the Korean.

Kids these days, eh?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Serious Frolicking posted:

You probably can't grind it per se, but he got bonus points by thinking carefully and coming up with good ideas.

Didn't he get a slight buff from doing this just a while back?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

BlitzBlast posted:

Honestly kind of wondering if Jee-han's by now radically changed attitude is going to bite him in the rear end. Maybe his parents will notice?

"Oh! Hes gettting more active and staying out more!
Getting great grades as well! And hes got a girlfriend???!"

"Jee han, honey, who are all those nice young ladies you hang about with? Id like to meet them."

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Rigged Death Trap posted:

"Oh! Hes gettting more active and staying out more!
Getting great grades as well! And hes got a girlfriend???!"

"Jee han, honey, who are all those nice young ladies you hang about with? Id like to meet them."

BlitzBlast posted:

This would all require that his parents are ever home

:smith:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
He should give studying maths another go now he's pumped up his wisdom he might be more successful

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I still don't understand the justification for why intelligence doesn't make him better at math. The justification for what intelligence does is 'make him better at memorization' which is all most math is. He should be able to remember every formula in his head and thus do just fine in math, unless korean math classes are way different from american ones.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

KittyEmpress posted:

I still don't understand the justification for why intelligence doesn't make him better at math. The justification for what intelligence does is 'make him better at memorization' which is all most math is. He should be able to remember every formula in his head and thus do just fine in math, unless korean math classes are way different from american ones.

You were taught exceptionally badly is all I can take from this

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
I'd argue that there are plenty of situations in math in which you need to understand the concepts behind the problem, ex. modeling problems like probability density functions, slicing problems, linear algebra, etc.

But judging from his performance before his Gamer powers, I don't think Jee Han's in any advanced math courses if his school even offers them :v:

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Nondevor posted:

I'd argue that there are plenty of situations in math in which you need to understand the concepts behind the problem, ex. modeling problems like probability density functions, slicing problems, linear algebra, etc.
You don't need to reach for advanced math to talk about the concepts behind the problems. For example: why is an odd number plus an odd number always an even number?

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 22, 2014

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Jose posted:

You were taught exceptionally badly is all I can take from this

I dunno, I only went up through statistics and never did calculus and stuff, but our classes were basically all 'remember how to do X? Okay now you can do it with any numbers put in."

Maybe I was taught wrong, but that's basically how all math up from start to the statistics class were taught. You memorized a formula for how to solve a type of problem and how to go through that problem, then bam, did it. Maybe I just had a lovely school, I mean I do live in LA we aren't exactly known for our school systems.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I never did statistics but did calculus and lots of mechanics/physics based maths where it becomes very different. I'd agree that everything before you get there is capable of being learned through pure memorization but its still not going to be easy. That you could stick any numbers in and work out the answer is proof enough.

On this logic though he'd be really bad at a few sciences and also language at least

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
He's a high schooler, so he's judging "Intelligence" by his ability to do well on tests, not necessarily his comprehension of the subject matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Ice Phisherman posted:

Read books on philosophy.

I eagerly await quotes from Plater, Spinnerza and Neatcha. Neatcher especially, given that as Jee-Han gazes at the Abyss, the Abyss literally is gazing at Jee-Han. :v:
At 200 WIS, you can spend 1000 xp to craft the next Brothers Karamazov.