Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

The Big Taff Man posted:

This was loving awful.

You are objectively wrong and you should feel bad about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

You are objectively wrong and you should feel bad about that

He's the opposite of wrong, in this instance.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
The one of the three main characters who wasnt one of the inbetweeners was awful.

The show itself had no likeable characters. Its like the inbetweeners with no heart at all. Even Jay on the inbetweeners is more likeable than anyone on that show.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I mostly hated Chickens because of Jonny Sweet. I won't even watch Babylon because hes in it. I can't even bring myself to just mute it and just watch the scenes that Brit Marling is in.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Considering they are written to be skeevy cowards that don't want to get involved in the whole fighting WW1 thing and would rather bonk dead mens wives at home, I don't think they are written to be sympathetic at all.

It was pretty meh to be honest too.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Sorry, it was ace.

Edit: anyone see the pilot on Channel 4?

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

SeanBeansShako posted:

Considering they are written to be skeevy cowards that don't want to get involved in the whole fighting WW1 thing and would rather bonk dead mens wives at home, I don't think they are written to be sympathetic at all.

It was pretty meh to be honest too.

They werent written to be cowards - Cecil wanted to fight.

You cant have a comedy without sympathetic characters.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I only watched one or two episodes, I gave up when it seemed they'd never actually try and work with the setting they had and well, I didn't really give a drat about the characters.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

A bit of an update on my comedy binging:

Made it through I'm Alan Partridge and Knowing Me Knowing You, the french episode of KMKY was great. Whoever suggested watching I'm Alan Partridge before KMKY was right, I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much if I started with KMKY. After running out of Alan Partridge I decided I definitely did need more Mitchell and Webb so I went on to their sketch work. Bruiser was fantastic (why isn't it on The List?) as was The M&W Situation. I'm now simultaneously binging through both That M&W Sound (while at work) and That M&W Look. That M&W Sound has been a great introduction to radio comedy for me, any recommendations for other notable radio comedy series?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

The Big Taff Man posted:

They werent written to be cowards - Cecil wanted to fight.

You cant have a comedy without sympathetic characters.

You can, Seinfeld did it perfectly. You can't have a comedy without funny bits, though.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

That M&W Look is still possibly the greatest sketch show ever made.

The Snooker Commentators alone are such perfect characters. I've seen all of their sketches dozens of times and I still laugh at "It IS Christmas." "...AW poo poo, THE KIDS!"

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Jehde posted:

Made it through I'm Alan Partridge and Knowing Me Knowing You, the french episode of KMKY was great. Whoever suggested watching I'm Alan Partridge before KMKY was right, I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much if I started with KMKY.

That was me, no need to thank me, its just part of the service

Jehde posted:

That M&W Sound has been a great introduction to radio comedy for me, any recommendations for other notable radio comedy series?
#

You know theres a Partridge one right?

stickyfngrdboy posted:

You can, Seinfeld did it perfectly. You can't have a comedy without funny bits, though.

You never felt sorry for the characters?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

The Big Taff Man posted:

That was me, no need to thank me, its just part of the service
#

You never felt sorry for the characters?

in Seinfeld? Christ no they were horrible people, which I assume was the intention from the start.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Jehde posted:

Made it through I'm Alan Partridge and Knowing Me Knowing You, the french episode of KMKY was great. Whoever suggested watching I'm Alan Partridge before KMKY was right, I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much if I started with KMKY. After running out of Alan Partridge I decided I definitely did need more Mitchell and Webb so I went on to their sketch work. Bruiser was fantastic (why isn't it on The List?) as was The M&W Situation. I'm now simultaneously binging through both That M&W Sound (while at work) and That M&W Look. That M&W Sound has been a great introduction to radio comedy for me, any recommendations for other notable radio comedy series?
Oh god, theres loving loads of great radio comedy.

So off the top of my head you have the KMKY radio show (which came before the TV show and is just as excellent), On The Hour which is very much the precursor to The Day Today and I'm pretty sure is where Alan Partridge first debuted as a character. Theres also Cabin Pressure which is a surprisingly good radio sitcom about the crew and owner of a single plane, with one of the main characters being played by Benedict Cumberbatch. I haven't listened to it in years so I'm not sure how well it holds up, but I remember really enjoying Old Harry's Game which is another sitcom, except its about Satan hanging out in Hell.

But in all honesty, my personal favourite is Down the Line, which is a kind of piss take of call in radio talk shows, with the host being a kind of spineless liberal idiot and his callers ranging from stereotypical Englishmen, psychopaths and complete weirdos. I think it starts out a little bit strange but it gets increasingly funnier and more intelligent with its premise as it ages and I must have listened to it all about 5 times through by now.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Jehde posted:

After running out of Alan Partridge I...

Have you watched Mid Morning Matters?

Crayfish
May 7, 2009

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

The Snooker Commentators alone are such perfect characters. I've seen all of their sketches dozens of times and I still laugh at "It IS Christmas." "...AW poo poo, THE KIDS!"

Limmy's Show is better

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

While we're all eagerly awaiting the finale of The Missing and desperately hoping it's not Total Balls, let's have a chat about the theme tune. Specifically, how totally different the original is to the version used as the theme music. Whoa. Well done to whoever realised that would sound creepy as gently caress with all the instruments taken out.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

What was everyone's opinion of Cardinal Burns? I skipped it when it was on, but caught up with it on iPlayer last year. Thought it was a very hit & miss show - the temp sketches were pretty good and so was the second Yumi sketch, but there was also a reasonable amount of filler.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

A lot of hit and miss.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Crayfish posted:

Limmy's Show is better

By a million miles

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Alpha Papa - Y/N? I've long feared the worst

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Jonnty posted:

While we're all eagerly awaiting the finale of The Missing and desperately hoping it's not Total Balls, let's have a chat about the theme tune. Specifically, how totally different the original is to the version used as the theme music. Whoa. Well done to whoever realised that would sound creepy as gently caress with all the instruments taken out.
I actually really dislike it at the start of The Missing just because the lyrics are so stupid and on the nose, but this is great

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Ratjaculation posted:

I loved it

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Ratjaculation posted:

It's decent... I liked Saxondale though so YMMV

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It was an alright movie.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

funnier if you live in norfolk

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Ratjaculation posted:

its good, but not I'm AP standard

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
I have a new radio comedy recommendation: What the Future. It's like a cross between Time Trumpet and Jam narrated by Kirsty Wark, but maybe even better than that sounds? Still on iPlayer I believe.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Paperhouse posted:

I actually really dislike it at the start of The Missing just because the lyrics are so stupid and on the nose, but this is great

Yeah it really is. I've put it on my Christmas playlist!

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Alpha Papa was great. As was that doco on Norfolk he did.

I have both series of Saxondale on DVD and I'm not sure why. It's ok but that character gets annoying very quickly.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

The Quiz Broadcast is the one that gets me every time. Mitchell's just really good at that faux-smarm covering despair.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
Day of the Triffids is about to expire on iplayer so watch it you want to know what your housing/cell block would look like if you were the only seeing man in your world. All the ups and a few downs and don't notice the shady effects because this is a psycho thriller and it's all about the people.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Rapacity posted:

Day of the Triffids is about to expire on iplayer so watch it you want to know what your housing/cell block would look like if you were the only seeing man in your world. All the ups and a few downs and don't notice the shady effects because this is a psycho thriller and it's all about the people.

And when you inevitably come to the conclusion that "hey, they should remake this with better pacing and a more modern threat." Then you can rewatch 28 days later. And realise that it loses something of the charm.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
The charm is entirely in "what would the 80s do?"

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Ratjaculation posted:

I thought it was shite, tbh. Way more slapstick than it needed to be, nowhere near clever enough.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Alpha Papa owned, but you can tell that Alan was slightly nicer than he has been before. The epilogue messages (particularly the one about Lynn) is pure Partridge though.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I just watched the last The Game 2014, is there going to be another series? I liked it a lot, but since it hasn't been shown on UK TV I'll avoid posting any spoilers and request that no one else does.

Astroduck
Aug 30, 2006

Just when I think Toast of London can't get any better, they go and get Josh Homme to guest star.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Astroduck posted:

Just when I think Toast of London can't get any better, they go and get Josh Homme to guest star.

Haha, until you posted this I thought I was mental thinking he looked like the singer from QotSA.

It's not rocket science!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The Big Taff Man posted:

I think I did, but ignored it previously because I thought radio comedy wasn't worth it, but I was wrong! Thank you for the reminder, adding it to my playlist.

Gorn Myson posted:

But in all honesty, my personal favourite is Down the Line, which is a kind of piss take of call in radio talk shows, with the host being a kind of spineless liberal idiot and his callers ranging from stereotypical Englishmen, psychopaths and complete weirdos.

This sounds right up my alley, going to the top of my playlist I think. Thank you for the plenty of other good suggestions, they will keep my playlist full for some time.

Mickolution posted:

Have you watched Mid Morning Matters?

Nope, I kinda assumed that anything after I'm Alan Partridge wouldn't be as good for whatever reason, but I think I will give this one a chance. I think I need a bit of a break from Alan Partridge though.

I finished That M&W Sound/Look, the latest series of That M&W Sound was great. I also went through Darkplace and wish I liked it more than I did, mainly because of that great intro. I don't think the horror theme or Matt Berry really detracted from it, it just kinda fell flat for me. I think it's because I already get my fix for that kind of spoof from Danger 5. I've now started 15 Storeys High which has been far better than I was expecting. The constant dull filter is a bit annoying but it's such a minor thing.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 13, 2014