Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

That's the reason I always look over my shoulder in the direction I'm merging, which I assume the Prius driver didn't do? 95% of the time there's nothing there but every now and again there's a giant SUV in my blind spot that I didn't even notice in my mirrors. :stare:

e: beaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Also, I've got to imagine your 37's make a decent racket going down the road. Was the driver straight-up deaf?

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Yeah it's definitely a lesson (and some elbow grease) to remind them to check their mirrors/shoulder every time they merge. If they couldn't see a 6'6" bright white vehicle 2 feet away from them then I pitty the motorcyclist they're going to hit in the future.
The tires are pretty loud but we were slowing down for the lights ahead and with their windows closed I doubt they could hear them. They were an elder couple and were sorry about it. And of course it had to be a Prius.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

And that's what Dash Cams are all about, Charlie Brown.

tuna posted:

They were an elder couple

Ya don't say!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

tuna posted:

Someone merged into me incredibly slowly just now. No damage at all except the tire ring of shame my Jeep's 37" tires left on their Prius. mini 0801 night quality isnt that great, dirty window doesn't help either.

Very avoidable accident on my end I know, I saw them get close but from where I sit, I can't tell when their wheels go over the line. I should've not been in their blind spot etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJKq9Fvq5eo

Yeah, but he should have stayed in his lane. He's not trying to change lanes, he just missed that the lane curved a bit.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

tuna posted:

Someone merged into me incredibly slowly just now. No damage at all except the tire ring of shame my Jeep's 37" tires left on their Prius. mini 0801 night quality isnt that great, dirty window doesn't help either.

Very avoidable accident on my end I know, I saw them get close but from where I sit, I can't tell when their wheels go over the line. I should've not been in their blind spot etc.

Lincoln just south of Washington. Sup.

Thats exactly why you got your camera.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Chinatown posted:

Lincoln just south of Washington. Sup.

Thats exactly why you got your camera.

:keke::respek::keke:

The video even starts as I'm passing by Chequered Flag, the most AI place on Lincoln. I just learned they have an inside streetview of that place, hell yeah!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Sick.

Driving in West LA is a goddamned battlefield.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 233 days!)

I'm going to be rejoining the Dashcam Denziens after having sold my G1W to CSB without ever using it.

The methheads down the street seem to be taking care of their grandkids (at least for the holidays). :frogsiren: Yesterday they spent a couple hours playing and hopping off their bicycles and sliding them under the comical gap beneath the neighbors' jacked up Grand Cherokee. That'll end well.

Hell maybe I just need a webcam. v:v:v

Fuller9x
Feb 15, 2005

Gimme Milk

N is for Nipples posted:

Ahaaa, this was almost my exact situation after our little ice storm down in the south - was rolling over a bridge when I hit a patch of ice and the rear started to step out ever so slightly, bridge ended, straightened right back out, the adrenaline was ridiculous.

Yep, red mist gets you into trouble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CWV-VCvTRU

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Viggen posted:

Hell maybe I just need a webcam. v:v:v

Yes, you need a webcam pointing out your house window. Dashcams don't do long term security very well.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

EightBit posted:

gently caress that, he should have looked over his shoulder.

Yeah he'd instantly at fault if it came down to you guys exchanging papers. Nice work mushroom-stamping him though.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

nm posted:

Yeah, but he should have stayed in his lane. He's not trying to change lanes, he just missed that the lane curved a bit.

No one pays attention to when roads do this. I had a guy come halfway into my lane because he ignored a slight curve. I had to hit the brakes and lay on the horn to get him to actually notice.

I need a dashcam.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Captured this one on my drive in this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB3JGo-GYPc

I gave the Mercury Milan driver a copy of the video, and the guy driving the Pontiac got the plates off the truck and came back.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

trouser chili posted:

I gave the Mercury Milan driver a copy of the video, and the guy driving the Pontiac got the plates off the truck and came back.

My faith in humanity has risen a little bit. Unrelated, but do you know what that song is that's playing in the video? I like it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
It looked like there was no contact, just a lovely driver overreacting to someone coming into their lane.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

tuna posted:

It looks like your lights are off in this video. Maybe that's why he didn't see you. Either that or they're really dim compared to the Prius and SUV to your left.

vvv Ahhh yeah I see it now

Hikaki fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 11, 2014

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Hikaki posted:

It looks like your lights are off in this video. Maybe that's why he didn't see you. Either that or they're really dim compared to the Prius and SUV to your left.

Youtube compression is basically garbling the small amount of light that hits the road with a lifted Jeep. You can clearly see that they are on when he pulls behind the Prius.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

MiniFoo posted:

My faith in humanity has risen a little bit. Unrelated, but do you know what that song is that's playing in the video? I like it.

The song is "Treat me mean, I need the reputation", by xploding plastix. A sample from this song used to be the gas chamber music here on SA.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

BraveUlysses posted:

It looked like there was no contact, just a lovely driver overreacting to someone coming into their lane.

The Milan contacted the guardrail, completely the fault of the truck driver barging in directly from the side and forcing the Milan driver to choose whether to hit the truck or the rail. Maybe slamming on the brakes and/or sounding the horn faster could have avoided that but you can't fault the Milan.

The lovely thing is the truck realized there was someone there and corrected, and probably saw the Milan stopped in the gutter in a trail of dust, but kept on driving.

I had a 16 wheeler almost do this to me while I'm in a loving Smart Car but he heard my horn. The hosed thing was we were on city streets, I don't even think he was legally allowed on the street and was more worried about getting back on the interstate than my dinky car. I should have posted that video actually, I had it on cam but it's overwritten by now.

quote:

The song is "Treat me mean, I need the reputation", by xploding plastix. A sample from this song used to be the gas chamber music here on SA.

This, "The Famous Biting Guy", and "Joy Comes in the Morning" (which has an awesome music video) are in my all in my driving Spotify rotation. Such an awesome album.

Donca Matic Singalongs has them, or Donca Matic Singalongs Revisted which is the newer international release
VVVV

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 12, 2014

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Zero VGS posted:

This, "The Famous Biting Guy", and "Joy Comes in the Morning" (which has an awesome music video) are in my all in my driving Spotify rotation. Such an awesome album.

I'm not sure what album of theirs has those three track listings, but I can say everyone needs to own Amateur Girlfriends Go Proskirt Agents and The Donca Matic Singalongs. I had a much harder time enjoying Treated Timber Resists Rot though.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Zero VGS posted:

The Milan contacted the guardrail, completely the fault of the truck driver barging in directly from the side and forcing the Milan driver to choose whether to hit the truck or the rail. Maybe slamming on the brakes and/or sounding the horn faster could have avoided that but you can't fault the Milan.

It is their fault them because they lost control of their own car. I'm not justifying the truck driver's mistake or their inability to stop afterwords but there's no excuse to swerve so hard you hit a guardrail.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

One excuse might be that they thought a big rear end truck was gonna hit them

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

trouser chili posted:

Captured this one on my drive in this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB3JGo-GYPc

The proper move here was to brake hard. That swerve doomed them from the very start.

They truck even moved back to the left after realizing he was encroaching into the cars space and there was never a time where there wasnt enough shoulder space to manuver.

I can't really fault anyone other than the car for the damage done.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Yeah, unless you get contacted by the other vehicle I doubt someone elses is going to pay out for you. Sadly their insurance will probably go up though what they did would cause the least amount of damage in that situation.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

The truck was trying to pass on the right through the merge lane. gently caress him.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Horse Divorce posted:

The truck was trying to pass on the right through the merge lane. gently caress him.

That's not a merge lane though. Not at fault regardless.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Chinatown posted:

That's not a merge lane though. Not at fault regardless.

So the fact that the lane is for merging into that bigassed highway immediately to the left disqualifies it as a merge lane?

E: I see it's an exit lane. Well, we'll have to agree to disagree.

JukeboxHerostratus fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 12, 2014

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
That is in fact a merge lane. It does not exit. The lane to the left of the one the Mercury and I are traveling in is an exit lane. The truck was attempting to pass the vehicle that just merged into the lane (the exit lane) in front of him. That vehicle merged from the ending "merge" lane into the exit lane and I'm assuming the truck wasn't happy about that and went to pass him on the right in the merge lane that was ending. Watch the video again, you'll see a sign that indicates the lane to my left is an exit for Ladue road, and on the right side you can see a yellow triangular sign that says "RIGHT LANE ENDS" and after that a pictorial sign that indicates the right lane is ending.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

It is their fault them because they lost control of their own car. I'm not justifying the truck driver's mistake or their inability to stop afterwords but there's no excuse to swerve so hard you hit a guardrail.

I dunno I think trying to avoid a collision with another vehicle is a pretty good reason to scrape a guard rail. It is their fault for not executing the move perfectly because they're not a pro at Gran Turismo 5 or something though I guess.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 12, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

I dunno I think trying to avoid a collision with another vehicle is a pretty good reason to scrape a guard rail. It is their fault for not executing the move perfectly because they're not a pro at Gran Turismo 5 or something though I guess.

Intuitively you're right but I'd put my odds on the traffic code being written otherwise with some mumbo jumbo about the operator of the Milan being at fault for not remaining in control of their vehicle. There's lots of stupid language about stuff like that.

I could see the truck driver getting a citation for aggressive driving or an illegal lane change but fault for the accident? Maybe if we lived in a just world.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

xzzy posted:

Intuitively you're right but I'd put my odds on the traffic code being written otherwise with some mumbo jumbo about the operator of the Milan being at fault for not remaining in control of their vehicle. There's lots of stupid language about stuff like that.

I could see the truck driver getting a citation for aggressive driving or an illegal lane change but fault for the accident? Maybe if we lived in a just world.

I guess it's one of those things where you have to play the cop lottery and hope being nice is enough to convince them not to just take the easiest way out.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

I can almost 100% guarantee it'll be an at fault ax for the car for a faulty evasive action from the insurance companies perspective.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

Pretty sure that most people with some semblance of a self preservation instinct would prefer trading paint with a guardrail if they saw a vehicle roughly twice the size of theirs bearing down upon them. Sucks that the insurance company might give you guff about it afterwards but in a situation like that I know that I would be far too busy getting the gently caress away from the giant goddamn truck that's about to drift into me than weighing my insurance options.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Pretty sure that most people with some semblance of a self preservation instinct would prefer trading paint with a guardrail if they saw a vehicle roughly twice the size of theirs bearing down upon them. Sucks that the insurance company might give you guff about it afterwards but in a situation like that I know that I would be far too busy getting the gently caress away from the giant goddamn truck that's about to drift into me than weighing my insurance options.

No one is denying the need for the car to make an evasive maneuver.

Jerking the wheel to the point where you lose control of your vehicle is extremely dumb and never a good idea.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
It kind of looks like an "What the gently caress, assho- OH poo poo I JUST SPILLED MY COFFEE IN MY LAP" kind of swerve. He/she moves right, then back to the left towards the truck, then back to the right into the guard rail.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Chinatown posted:

No one is denying the need for the car to make an evasive maneuver.

Jerking the wheel to the point where you lose control of your vehicle is extremely dumb and never a good idea.

Yeah it's a dumb move in hindsight, but put in the same situation I suspect that most people would be prone to overreacting in the same way the Milan driver was. The scare factor of unexpectedly seeing a vehicle on collision course with yours shouldn't be underestimated, even if it all that would result from it would be a fairly mild fender-bender.

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 12, 2014

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Yeah it's a dumb move in hindsight, but put in the same situation I suspect that most people would be prone to overreacting in the same way the Milan driver was. The scare factor of unexpectedly seeing a vehicle on collision course with yours shouldn't be underestimated, even if it all that would result from it would be a fairly mild fender-bender.

Yup. Its completely understandable. I have been in that exact situation a couple times. One last week. I braked, slightly altered course to the right, and kept the car steady. I was going ~80mph at the time.

I understand the reaction to jerk the wheel, but sorry, you eat poo poo from it, that's COMPLETELY ON YOU.

You are COMPLETELY RESPONSIBLE for the control of your multi-thousand pound flying missile. Evasive maneuvers included.

Take a cab if you can't accept that very obvious fact.

wigbot v2.0
Oct 10, 2008

Hales

It arrived. Thing is so small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

wigbot v2.0 posted:

It arrived. Thing is so small.

That's the reason why I bought mine, because of the form-factor.

Let me know if you have any overheating issues with those added vents, or if your battery decides to poo poo itself randomly every once in a while when you power-off your car (unless you got the capacitor version, in which case, you're lucky).