Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
By the way, that wasn't just some random parking garage. That's the parking garage for the jail you broke out of earlier in the story.

When you exit the jail, you end up at the top of that parking garage.

This criminal gang set up shop in the jail's parking garage. Which I think actually does make sense in Watch_Dog's world, since I think some gang was supposed to have ties with some group of guards or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The privacy invasions are a little all over the place tonaly, but I really do feel they were a strong addition to the game. Hell, easy to argue that they have the best writing in the game. They range from depressing dark, to goofy funny.

I hope you show none of the other side stuff, we've basically seen them all at this point. Maybe some of the fixer missions are interesting. But 80% of the Privacy Invasion videos are worth watching. I hope you make a side video with them.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Shaking my head at scrub collectors that buy their poo poo from stateside vendors when ordering straight from Glorious Nippon is hella cheaper. :japan:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

KirbyKhan posted:

The privacy invasions are a little all over the place tonaly, but I really do feel they were a strong addition to the game. Hell, easy to argue that they have the best writing in the game. They range from depressing dark, to goofy funny.

I hope you show none of the other side stuff, we've basically seen them all at this point. Maybe some of the fixer missions are interesting. But 80% of the Privacy Invasion videos are worth watching. I hope you make a side video with them.

Problem is that the best weapons are locked behind the repetitive side-missions (convoy and weapons, for the curious) while the privacy invasions unlock bupkis. I agree though, they are a strong addition to the game.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

SSNeoman posted:

Problem is that the best weapons are locked behind the repetitive side-missions (convoy and weapons, for the curious) while the privacy invasions unlock bupkis. I agree though, they are a strong addition to the game.

"Best weapons"? As in, Automatic Grenade Launcher? Chain RPG launcher? Self Guiding Screen Wiping BFG?

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

BangBangBang! Commando of the Galaxy

SSNeoman posted:

I never really cared for most of the unlockalbe weapons, so screw that noise. I do like what the do with the privacy invasion videos, both in the side mission and in the CToS centres, but gently caress are the missions boring. I showed off an easy one where you can immediately do the hack. Most of them you have to run around and unlock a bunch of nodes by holding square at them. The best side content is still to come but for whatever reason it unlocks absolutely nothing, not even completion percentage.

I will be showing off at least one of every side mission even if they are all crap and the game forces you to do basically the same thing for plot anyway. It's because I hate myself and this LP is public self-flagellation.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

JcDent posted:

"Best weapons"? As in, Automatic Grenade Launcher? Chain RPG launcher? Self Guiding Screen Wiping BFG?

I find the grenade launcher to be situationally useful. I went for a stealth approach in my games, so unless I was doing a convoy (which are almost always obnoxious to some degree), the grenade launcher didn't help me much. Also it's unsilenced, so you better loving find the guys with reinforcement coms and shut them down unless you want endless clown cars of dudes to swarm on your rear end.
The explosion also has some funky hit detection, so 'nading dudes is not as practical as it seems. Works like a dream for cars though.
Anyway, the weapons you get are:

The Spec Ops Goblin (which I prefer over the Spec Ops Vector, even if that one is "easier" to get) which is a silenced version of the goblin. It deals good damage and has a small bullet spread. If you have any plans on trying to stealth missions, this thing is a must. You don't get a silenced sniper rifle (I'm guessing this was something Ubi learned from FC3 players), so this is the next best thing.
And The Destroyer, a unique anti-materiel rifle that instantly disables vehicles, kills/incapacitates all but the toughest dudes and can shoot through walls. It only has a two round magazine, so you best make your shots count. Really recommend grabbing it, later missions get obnoxious even with this puppy in your inventory. This is one of the few things to reliably take out those police choppers.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

I find the grenade launcher to be situationally useful. I went for a stealth approach in my games, so unless I was doing a convoy (which are almost always obnoxious to some degree), the grenade launcher didn't help me much. Also it's unsilenced, so you better loving find the guys with reinforcement coms and shut them down unless you want endless clown cars of dudes to swarm on your rear end.
The explosion also has some funky hit detection, so 'nading dudes is not as practical as it seems. Works like a dream for cars though.
Anyway, the weapons you get are:

The Spec Ops Goblin (which I prefer over the Spec Ops Vector, even if that one is "easier" to get) which is a silenced version of the goblin. It deals good damage and has a small bullet spread. If you have any plans on trying to stealth missions, this thing is a must. You don't get a silenced sniper rifle (I'm guessing this was something Ubi learned from FC3 players), so this is the next best thing.
And The Destroyer, a unique anti-materiel rifle that instantly disables vehicles, kills/incapacitates all but the toughest dudes and can shoot through walls. It only has a two round magazine, so you best make your shots count. Really recommend grabbing it, later missions get obnoxious even with this puppy in your inventory. This is one of the few things to reliably take out those police choppers.

I googled just to see what kind of retard weapons are those... Watch Dogs wiki suggest that some weapons (like the AK) have the exact same model as in Far Cry 3. Nice job on the recycling.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

JcDent posted:

I googled just to see what kind of retard weapons are those... Watch Dogs wiki suggest that some weapons (like the AK) have the exact same model as in Far Cry 3. Nice job on the recycling.
Really, when you have a game about a gravely rear end in a top hat of a protagonist performing bullshit magic and coating it with this week's technobabble, least you could do is steal from Blood Dragon.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

JcDent posted:

Well yeah. It's an AK. They already had a model for it so of course they'd use it. And if they didn't make an AK-looking AK, people would be bitching that it doesn't look like an AK.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

Well yeah. It's an AK. They already had a model for it so of course they'd use it. And if they didn't make an AK-looking AK, people would be bitching that it doesn't look like an AK.

The Wiki points out, it has parts of several different AK rifle in it. So instead of making a new AK-74 model, they decided to cut the costs.

anilEhilated posted:

Really, when you have a game about a gravely rear end in a top hat of a protagonist performing bullshit magic and coating it with this week's technobabble, least you could do is steal from Blood Dragon.

Blood Dragon is too much fun for Watch_Dogs. It's all serious and dramatic and making fun of their target audience.

Antikythera
Jan 27, 2011

Just like clockwork.
Just out of curiosity, does the game ever say what year it's supposed to take place in?

azren
Feb 14, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

Secret weapons stuff

Okay, that last one sounds freaking awesome. Definitely hope we get to see that.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Yeah, the Destroyer is loving crazy and makes online hacking defense a joke. Also want to point out that unlike some games you actually can hide out to shake off pursuers at times in this game and they'll actually give up. That seems like a small thing but I was really used to bullshit games where they would either find you with Spidey Sense or just hang out indefinitely like they have nothing better to do with their lives. The first time I watched someone flee a pursuit in a car, stop and lose them in a building and then sneak out of the patrol, my jaw about hit the floor.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
^AssCreed 1 level of innovation, totally next-gen.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Antikythera posted:

Just out of curiosity, does the game ever say what year it's supposed to take place in?

2013. Niece died in 2012 (it says on the gravestone), and the events of the game take place about a year later.

Good job with the LP so far, guys. I had fun with the game, but I will readily admit that it is not good. My main issue was just how much Ubisoft pigeon-holed you into certain strategies even though it promised open-ended gameplay with *real choices*.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

anilEhilated posted:

^AssCreed 1 level of innovation, totally next-gen.

Seriously. Enemies giving up at some point, rather than staying in alarmed mode is hardly jaw dropping.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

CrashCat posted:

Also want to point out that unlike some games you actually can hide out to shake off pursuers at times in this game and they'll actually give up. That seems like a small thing but I was really used to bullshit games where they would either find you with Spidey Sense or just hang out indefinitely like they have nothing better to do with their lives. The first time I watched someone flee a pursuit in a car, stop and lose them in a building and then sneak out of the patrol, my jaw about hit the floor.

Are you talking about Watch_Dogs or are you just being sarcastic? Because enemies are the exact opposite of this. Unless a recent patch fixed this, the enemies know exactly where you are all the time, they just pretend not to notice (and how much they don't notice depends on your alert level, if that makes sense).
I can show you what I mean right now. Start a new game. Do the stadium thing. When you're escaping in the car, find either Nicky's suburb, the top of a parking lot or anywhere else the police cannot path to you. Do this without getting spotted. Then watch your radar. Notice how all the enemies suddenly swarm the surroundings of your little hideyhole despite having no clue where you are? Notice how they will constantly patrol this block without driving away to look elsewhere? All enemies are like this.

As a corollary, here is this game's alert status guide, which I know because apparently I've become really good at Ubisoft stealth games:
Unnoticed: Enemies have regular patrol patterns. They have no idea you're in the area and will go about their business. So long as enemies have no chance to alert others of your presence, and so long as nothing explodes, nor are any bodies found, the enemies will persist in this state. Using takedowns and silenced weapons to take down enemies will not raise the alert level, so long as others don't find the bodies.

Partial Alert: The enemies found a body, or one of them managed to shout to his friends that he got shot in the legs by a silenced weapon (funny note: so long as you keep interrupting them while they yell, the alert level won't rise. The answer to shooting shouty people in the legs is to keep shooting them in the legs). IEDs cause this alert state. In a patched game, environmental explosions from hacking powers cause this status as well. Enemies will now go to the last area where the body or explosion was found and then slowly fan out.

Noticed Alert: The enemies heard an unsilenced gunshot, or an explosion from a grenade (yes, explosions from IEDs and grenades are different). Enemies will now fan out a lot more and become much more perceptive. In an unpatched game, environmental explosions cause this alert status. Since enemies can call reinforcements when in this status, the results were...frustrating. The enemies can pinpoint the exact location a grenade was thrown/fired from, so prepare to book it. Enemies randomly become clairvoyant in this state (bug or feature? You decide!) so during or after their initial investigation, a few will beeline to your new location (though take note that they do not use cover when doing so).

Full Alert: The enemies noticed you and everyone in the yard now knows where you are and are after your rear end. Reinforcements will definitely be called in and enemies will head towards your location, using cover to flank you (which admittedly they do a very good job at). If you use cover to sneak away, the enemies will basically go back to Noticed Alert. They do not decrease their alert status past that point.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
The stadium really annoyed. You got to all that effort to get out without a chase. Then the police hunt you down. Even if you don't grab the prepped stolen car. First try, I just tried to walk out of the area without raising a fuss. Not a good plan.

I just made tons of Jam Comms, because chases were just a huge pain to me. Then I saw online that the solution was to use hacking to wreck the cars following you. Which in most GTA-style games would up your star rating.

I'd love to also rant about the complete lack of pacing and context in the early game. But I'm bad at ranting, so I'll let the game speak for itself.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Rush_shirt posted:

2013. Niece died in 2012 (it says on the gravestone), and the events of the game take place about a year later.

Which is, incidentally, the original release date. So basically the game was supposed to take place "today" but due to delays, it wound up releasing such that it takes place in the past.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Xenoveritas posted:

Which is, incidentally, the original release date. So basically the game was supposed to take place "today" but due to delays, it wound up releasing such that it takes place in the past.

It is clearly the future-past, though, with all that kickin' rad tech going on.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That last junction box puzzle reminded me of this old Flash cube escape game, where you had to do 27 puzzles to unlock the ability to rotate cube faces and pipe light to the center.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

morallyobjected posted:

It is clearly the future-past, though, with all that kickin' rad tech going on.

Yeah, that's one of the many baffling design decisions. You'd think it would be obvious: set it at some random unspecified "future date."

But, no, they set it so that it would be set at the same time that the game was supposed to be shipped.

And then the release date shipped.

So now it's set in the highly computerized wi-fi enabled Chicago of a year ago.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

:frogsiren: Episode 7 : Uncut | Cut :frogsiren:

In this week's episode Aiden plays poker and we get diplomatic immunity.

Our guest this week is Vifs, he has a mostly dead LP of Tony Hawk's Underground 2 going. Also he streams a bunch so watch for him in the stream thread.

Also a chess puzzle:

White to mate in one move.

The Heavenator fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 12, 2014

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Queen to F8?

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
idk what the right notion is, but that top left rook to g8

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Well, it should be a mate if King to E2

I may be really bad at chess but that already looks like check mate to me. The rook at C8 should be able to just run up and take the king on H8? The king can't move anywhere either unless... that bishop? So it's knight to G4? But that seems like the same result as the previous solutions to me.

Poil fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 12, 2014

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

Oh poo poo I hosed up the puzzle. Here is the right one:

Still white to mate in one move.

The Heavenator fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 12, 2014

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
White Queen to H7

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

In regards to Aiden's new coat:

Packers! Woo! Packers!

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

The Heavenator posted:

And since I mentioned it in video, have a chess puzzle:

White to mate in one move.

Sorry I'm late to the party on this, haven't gotten to check this thread in a while. Anyway, I can't figure out what stops bishop to D6 from also being a winning move on that setup.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

Gothsheep posted:

Sorry I'm late to the party on this, haven't gotten to check this thread in a while. Anyway, I can't figure out what stops bishop to D6 from also being a winning move on that setup.

Nothing, that is a valid solution.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nice to see Aiden's new jacket has a cross on it.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Aiden is supporting his local Australian sports teams with his green and gold trench coat.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
gently caress the Viceroys.

And that is my contribution to the recent update, because I don't play chess. And shipping containers are never made with any sort of glass.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I really don't see the problem with a super-secret base, especially when your regular secret base just got raided all to hell and you flailed around blindly for a while.

Considered outside the game it does seem a bit ludicrous, I agree.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

bman in 2288 posted:

gently caress the Viceroys.

And that is my contribution to the recent update, because I don't play chess. And shipping containers are never made with any sort of glass.
I like the glass because the rest of the container looks mildly lived in, and it seems like the sort of mod an engineer would make if they lived there.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I just can't wait until you get to the one mission that unlocks that song. It was the high point of this game for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg_Lp5bO1U8

• Locked thread