Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

waitwhatno posted:

Here is a link to the report. Apparently, Germany is a fundamentalist hellhole because a professor for islamic studies had his chair renamed after converting away from islam some years ago. Maybe humanist and atheist utopia Sierra Leone will give the poor guy asylum.

Reverse GIS gives "alligator distribution map" as a best guess for the map. Might as well be.

In other news, the state of Berlin just made World Humanist Day (June 21st) a holiday for all pupils belonging to a humanist association. What a horrible place for atheists to live in :rolleye:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Nintendo Kid posted:

In all honesty it was already on its way down, Ellen's popularity was just enough to get it to spike back up in an unnatural way for a few years.

It's very much an old lady name.

Battlestar Galactica should have bumped it back up :colbert:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Might have something to do with national holidays? Also, I know that in Norway, if your parents were part of the Norwegian church, you're automatically part of it as well until you withdraw from it. I'm not sure if something like that would count against.

Edit: Was there any report accompanying that map, I'd be very interested in reading the criteria.

We also have a mandatory subject in school (starts in grade school ends in high school) about relgiion, which I think is mandated to be 51% Christianity (I think that the number), though in practice (and in my experience) it has always been alot more than this. The subject used to be called just "Christianity" and then "Christianity, religion and life stance" and then under the last government it was renamed again to "Religion, life stance and ethics" and it was supposed to be more balanced, though it still skewed heavily towards Christianity. The new government has refocused the subject towards officialy focusing on Christianity (though I think there is little change in practice). There is also a ton of Christian stuff on television during the holidays, and there's a service on public radio every morning throughout the year.

Never really bothered me personally, but despite Norwegians not necessarily being very personally religious, Christianity is a huge part of Norwegian identity and society.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

ekuNNN posted:

Haha, yeah. When I saw China I pretty much knew that it was a bullshit map, still funny enough to post, though. Also, Netherlands being Green is funny, because we only scrapped our law against blasphemy in 2013.

Was it actually scrapped or did they do some bullshit where they reduced the penalties or called it something else or w/e?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Orange Devil posted:

Was it actually scrapped or did they do some bullshit where they reduced the penalties or called it something else or w/e?

It has been removed from the criminal law as of February 2014. The Eerste Kamer (the senate i guess?) did accept a motion to 'research the necessitiy for separate protection of religion in some other way', apparently. Although I bet that was just a way to placate the Christian factions.

ekuNNN fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 10, 2014

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I agree with the non-religious parties who say the rights of religious folks are sufficiently protected by the constitutional article that forbids discrimination based on race, religion and so on.

The anti-blasphemy law was completely superfluous. Also, it hadn't been actually used in any legal proceedings for nearly a century, I believe.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

waitwhatno posted:

Here is a link to the report. Apparently, Germany is a fundamentalist hellhole because a professor for islamic studies had his chair renamed after converting away from islam some years ago. Maybe humanist and atheist utopia Sierra Leone will give the poor guy asylum.

Reverse GIS gives "alligator distribution map" as a best guess for the map. Might as well be.

I don't even... what? Alligators only live in the US and China.

And this is politically loaded because... ummm... these statistics show an alligator gap between the US and China, but we all know how the PLA likes to fudge its numbers. So the USA must develop more alligators, and more kinds, so that we can preserve an effective second strike capability. Of alligators. Yes.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Ponsonby Britt posted:

I don't even... what?

Reverse GIS isn't very good at finding maps because there are tons of visually similar maps.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

waitwhatno posted:

I checked out that report to see what my country Sweden does for it to qualify as "systemic discrimination".

It's because of the church tax, which you can opt out of, you only pay it if you're a member of the former state church.
Also, because humanist associations can't take part in that system.

That's, um, kind of a low bar for "systematic discrimination".

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

waitwhatno posted:

Apparently France would be in Free and Equal club if not for Alsace and French Guiana specific legislation.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Kurtofan posted:

Apparently France would be in Free and Equal club if not for Alsace and French Guiana specific legislation.

It's almost as if making a map that summarizes all nations as a single entity may cause some slight misrepresentation. But then again, if they were concerned with making an accurate map, they wouldn't be running around acting like atheists are an oppressed (ir?)religious group in the western world.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Jaramin posted:

Thunderstorms? I sorta get rain, but why thunderstorms?

I thought that was odd, but assumed there were some storms moving through on Thanksgiving.

According to the National Weather Service there were a series of low pressure systems and fronts moving through that area on the 26/27th. A late-in-the-year thunderstorm would probably trend fairly heavily on social media. Whether it was tongue-in-cheek sarcasm or whether people were actually happy to have a thunderstorm, I dunno.

Here's a looping map from the National Weather Service showing the systems moving through the region:

http://www.weather.gov/bgm/pastWinterNovember272014Loop

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

"Modern European borders superimposed over Europe in 1914 immediately before World War I"

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

ekuNNN posted:

"Modern European borders superimposed over Europe in 1914 immediately before World War I"

"Tauschen Wien gegen Suedtirol"

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

ekuNNN posted:

What is the white area in south eastern Europe?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Count Roland posted:

Various small Balkan independent states. They just used one color for all of them so it looks awful.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Count Roland posted:

These independent countries

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Did the Russian Empire really control all of Finland? That's news to me.

Edit: Wow, they were a part of Russia for more than a century! I always thought that only the Swedes ever bothered to conquer Finland.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Torrannor posted:

Yep, from 1812 1809 to 1917 so more than a century.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Duchy_of_Finland

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Count Roland posted:

Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, and Montenegro.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Torrannor posted:

Finland did enjoy special status within the Russian Empire, though. I can't be arsed to look it up, but there was at least one tsar that allowed the Finns to experiment with early democracy like some sort of lab to see how it would work out and whether he might be able to introduce it in Russia as well (I think it was Alexander II?).

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

the jizz taxi posted:

Finland did enjoy special status within the Russian Empire, though. I can't be arsed to look it up, but there was at least one tsar that allowed the Finns to experiment with early democracy like some sort of lab to see how it would work out and whether he might be able to introduce it in Russia as well (I think it was Alexander II?).
The justification for taking Finland was also tied into dynastic politics I think, so it might not have been proper to treat them like a regular conquest. According to Wikipedia, the Finnish estates also pledged their allegiance to the Tsar before the war with Sweden was even over, in return for him ruling there in accordance to Finnish law. Might be more accurate to think of it as a very lopsided personal union, rather than Finland truly being part of Russia.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

the jizz taxi posted:

If you're wondering which Tsar did something that wasn't retarded, its always going to be either Peter the Great or Alexander II.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Disco Infiva posted:

Various small Balkan independent states. They just used one color for all of them so it looks awful.

Nobody cares about those countries anyway.

I was partially aware and looked it up anyway, I was wondering if there was some short-lived confederation that I'd never heard of.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Maximum speed limits:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

*Maximum speed limit on paper. It's a rare and frustrating time when somebody actually does just 70 on the highway.

I'm actually more curious about default speed limits. If memory serves from when I contested one of a few speeding tickets I got when I was younger Michigan roads default to a 55 mph speed limit if not posted otherwise, with a "safe and prudent" caveat on dirt roads and further restrictions in residential areas.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

HBar posted:

Maximum speed limits:

I'm surprised so many areas have under 45.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nintendo Kid posted:

Most of them seem to be mountainous or jungle areas.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Nintendo Kid posted:

Nunavut doesn't actually have any highways or roads outside the few towns. Probably the same in Greenland.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Green: Hitchhiking legal while on the shoulder of the road
Yellow: Hitchhiking legal while off the traveled portion of the road, stay in the grass to be safe.
Red: Hitchhiking is completely illegal.
Gray: Specific laws.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
Adoption of the US Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Chicken posted:

Nunavut doesn't actually have any highways or roads outside the few towns. Probably the same in Greenland.

Yeah, but plenty of places will still place higher limits even on dirt/gravel roads.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

HBar posted:

Maximum speed limits:

Fun fact: The 85mph speed limit is basically a marketing technique for some of the toll roads in central Texas. They're mostly trying to convince truckers to take some of the newly-built toll roads and bypass the super-congested public highways, hoping it will ease traffic. Along with having the super-high speed limit, they've also done things like special discount periods where an 18-wheeler can pay the same toll a regular car would, and doing marketing outreach to businesses that send out lots of trucks so they know about these deals. So far it hasn't worked all that well and the toll roads aren't seeing too much traffic.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Raskolnikov38 posted:

If you're wondering which Tsar did something that wasn't retarded, its always going to be either Peter the Great or Alexander II.
Ivan Grozny was mostly competent, filicide aside.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

e_angst posted:

Fun fact: The 85mph speed limit is basically a marketing technique for some of the toll roads in central Texas. They're mostly trying to convince truckers to take some of the newly-built toll roads and bypass the super-congested public highways, hoping it will ease traffic. Along with having the super-high speed limit, they've also done things like special discount periods where an 18-wheeler can pay the same toll a regular car would, and doing marketing outreach to businesses that send out lots of trucks so they know about these deals. So far it hasn't worked all that well and the toll roads aren't seeing too much traffic.

Dismantling and selling safety protections for scrap for a quick buck; Is there any action more easily representative of right wingers' ideology?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

e_angst posted:

I take the toll road on the way out of Austin, it's pretty amazing. Lets me get past Georgetown with almost no other cars on the road.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

icantfindaname posted:

Dismantling and selling safety protections for scrap for a quick buck; Is there any action more easily representative of right wingers' ideology?

Speed limits are rarely safety protections dude. They're near universally set much lower than they should be for safety.

A freeway designed to meet or exceed Interstate Highway standards is safe with a speed limit of at least 80, and if you go beyond that it'll be easily 90-95 (The original PA Turnpike was safe at 90 mph when originally built, and that was with much worse cars and trucks on the road).

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Define safe.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
There's a thread on these very forums about this issue. Speed limits aren't quite as important to safety as you might think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Germany does it right, although, sadly, the parts of the Autobahn without limits get smaller every year. Still, it's fun ripping through the countryside in a BMW at 250 kph, a single drop of sweat on your forehead, knuckles white on the wheel.