Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

CharlesM posted:

Also, gently caress You Baltimore. In general, I mean.

loving truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

leica posted:

Anyone ever get a key that could possibly start a free new car in the mail? A few years back that was a common ploy, I got a bunch of them.

BRING THIS KEY AND WE'LL gently caress YOU IN THE rear end!

I love those. It's always a super-generic plastic key that would break the second you tried to use it in an actual ignition. I give them to my son for his Cozy Coupe. :3 He loves them and has a collection going.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Why do dealers use those big 20' inflatable gorillas or fan dudes? Do they actually increase sales?

Does anyone just drive by, see a gorilla/inflatable tube man flailing about and thinks "My, I should pull into this lot and check this crazy thing out?"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

Why do dealers use those big 20' inflatable gorillas or fan dudes? Do they actually increase sales?

Does anyone just drive by, see a gorilla/inflatable tube man flailing about and thinks "My, I should pull into this lot and check this crazy thing out?"

Uhh, you mean you don't? it's a giant loving gorilla!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If it means when you think of a dealership you think of theirs, they'll do anything allowable by law.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

:geno:

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Dec 9, 2014

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
At least they are being honest in loving you?

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

At least they are being honest in loving you?

And at least Dodge is taking steps to prevent this as best they can:

quote:

The longer a Hellcat sits without being sold -- as it might if it were to have a $10,000 or $20,000 market adjustment on it -- relative to those on other dealer lots, the fewer future Hellcat vehicles a dealer will receive, the Dodge brand boss explained.

“I want this car out in the marketplace so that somebody is sharing it with 50 of their friends and elevating the brand. That’s what I want; not sitting in your showroom with a rope around it. I want people driving these cars, talking about them, revving the engine and having everybody go ‘I want one of those.’ That’s why you build a halo car.”

From: http://www.autonews.com/article/20140909/RETAIL07/140909871/dodge-challenger-hellcat-dealer-ordering-begins----with-a-catch

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
I do enjoy this one

https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat-hit-with--150-000-dealer-markup-151946896.html

quote:

The idea of a car dealer charging extra for a hot car has long been a controversial one. After all, manufacturers can't order any store to sell their products at a certain price, and dealers make their living understanding their markets. Yet to many customers, marking up a new model feels like gouging, and automakers generally try to fight those impulses from dealers even when they're flattered by the attention.

All of which brings us to a dealer markup that sets a new standard for audacity: a Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat with a $150,000 fee on top of its sticker price.

Caught over the weekend by one of the Dodge forums, the photo shows a San Diego-area dealer asking for a "market adjustment" that would raise the cost of the 707-hp Hellcat to $212,175 — or roughly twice the price of a new Dodge Viper. Dodge executives knew that the $59,000 Hellcat would likely draw some "market adjustments," so it set rules for supplying dealers that rewarded turnover — the more quickly a dealer sells its Hellcats, the more it gets — in hopes of limiting such practices.

And in fact, a search of Hellcats already on dealer lots shows that most are listed at sticker price, although a few sport tags that are up to $20,000 higher. With Dodge expected to build as many Hellcats as it can sell this year, a Hellcat won't be such a collector item that it will avoid typical new-vehicle depreciation; paying $20,000 extra only gets you a Hellcat slightly sooner than everyone else, not one that's somehow more special.

Which only adds to the mystery of why a dealer would think tripling the price of a Hellcat is a good idea. Much of the Hellcat's charm draws from its low sticker price versus European sportscars; at $212,175, you're into Bentley-Aston Martin territory, not to mention overshooting Porsche, Mercedes AMGs and several other alternatives. Either demand for American muscle in San Diego knows few bounds, or this is one Hellcat that's not going anywhere fast.

UPDATE: The dealer in question, Perry Dodge Chrysler Jeep, told Motor Authority that the sticker was put on the car in error, and that after being publicized its taken it off and hasn't set a new price yet — although Dodge already seems to provide that information once on the car.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I saw an update on that last one yesterday, the car just flat-out wasn't for sale. Rather than say "not for sale," they thought they'd be funny and put a markup so large on it nobody in their right mind would try to buy it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I've never seen the key before. Is that a regional thing?

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
Last year we bought a BRZ and it had a $9995 Market Adjustment on the sticker, when we sat down to negotiate, before we said anything the sales guy just struck that off and we went from the MSRP on it, we didn't have to say a word.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I've never seen the key before. Is that a regional thing?

I'm in Seattle and I think leica is in Florida so we're basically at opposite ends of the country. I think I've only got a key 2, maybe 3 times though. In my case it was some old worn out keys so they probably just get them from the junkyard or whatever.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Around here the keys have gone away in favor of these things:

Of course the code always "matches" and the "up to" language in the gift card prize is their out.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 206 days!)

Shifty Pony posted:

Of course the code always "matches" and the "up to" language in the gift card prize is their out.

So, three are 1:350,000 - and the last is 349,997:350,000. It looks like the minimum charge is $10, but I doubt that is enforced for a large purchase. If you don't meet the minimums, there is a $3/mo charge, too. What do you want to spend your $1 on?

The last time I saw the "key" crap was in about 2008/2009. It was literally cheap plastic glued to the mailer. :allears:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CharlesM posted:

I'm in Seattle and I think leica is in Florida so we're basically at opposite ends of the country. I think I've only got a key 2, maybe 3 times though. In my case it was some old worn out keys so they probably just get them from the junkyard or whatever.

Yeah I'm in FL, the keys I got were new and shinny, but I could tell by looking at the cut of the keys that it was very generic and would never start any car.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

Jesus christ, the resources wasted to make this garbage.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Where'd Goatse go, did we run her out? :ohdear:

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

meatpimp posted:

Where'd Goatse go, did we run her out? :ohdear:

I'm around, just struggling through some dark days.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

goatse guy posted:

:(

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

goatse guy posted:

gently caress, I thought that phase was over. Was it something I said?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

meatpimp posted:

Do you mean before, during, or after posting?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Viggen posted:

Do you mean before, during, or after posting?

Some times you're unfunny, and some times you're painfully unfunny.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

meatpimp posted:

Some times you're unfunny, and some times you're painfully unfunny.

What can I say? Familiarity breeds contempt.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

meatpimp posted:

I think that's a pretty good summary of the current state of my life. Something pretty awful happened, all of my friends are being unsympathetic and unsupportive dicks about it, and a lot of people that I don't even know are passing some pretty harsh judgments on me.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

We still love you goatse guy :sympathy:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

leica posted:

We still love you goatse guy :sympathy:

As long as you're not a furry. Some poo poo can't be passed over.

Don't know what happened, GG, but obviously we're all here. Except Vig. Ignore him.

Past couple weeks have beenn poo poo here also, with no sign of looking up before the end of the year. Might as well end the same way it's gone the rest of it, I suppose. Friday night can't loving come soon enough.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Sorry to hear things are going lovely goatse guy.

On the subject of car dealers, my girlfriend just bought a used car from one, and they had a pretty impressive warranty which she sprung for. I know dealer warranties are almost universally a scam, but this one seems pretty great.

For about $1900 on a 5 year old, 35k mile car which she paid 12k for, they cover pretty much everything except wear components with no limit and a $100 deductible. The best part is that if you don't use the policy you get all the money back (minus financing costs of about $70) when it expires. In her case, based on her low yearly mileage (about 8k/yr) it's valid for 4.5 years up to 75k miles.

As long as she doesn't use it unless she has a repair costing more than the policy I see no downside.

Anyone know many other dealerships that offer something similar?

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Supervisor's daughter just bought a CPO Mercedes CLA with the same style warranty. He claims it looked legit and supposedly read the fine print.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

Sorry to hear things are going lovely goatse guy.

On the subject of car dealers, my girlfriend just bought a used car from one, and they had a pretty impressive warranty which she sprung for. I know dealer warranties are almost universally a scam, but this one seems pretty great.

For about $1900 on a 5 year old, 35k mile car which she paid 12k for, they cover pretty much everything except wear components with no limit and a $100 deductible. The best part is that if you don't use the policy you get all the money back (minus financing costs of about $70) when it expires. In her case, based on her low yearly mileage (about 8k/yr) it's valid for 4.5 years up to 75k miles.

As long as she doesn't use it unless she has a repair costing more than the policy I see no downside.

I got one on my touareg. When the cats failed a month later they refused to cover it. Luckily I was within the refund period and got one.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

kmcormick9 posted:

I got one on my touareg. When the cats failed a month later they refused to cover it. Luckily I was within the refund period and got one.

Cats are one of the things not covered under this warranty, along with rubber suspension components, brakes, tires, cosmetics, etc. However the warranty specifically listed everything not covered, and stated that anything not listed was covered. The list was about what you'd expect. I don't expect she'll even need to use it, but in case something major does go wrong (engine/trans) it seemed like a good bet, especially since she only loses $70 if she doesn't use it.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

I've seen them offered through finance departments in most of the dealerships that I've worked at.

I had a customer come in last night and buy a vehicle. She called me as soon as she drove off the lot to tell me that the CEL was on. Nevermind the fact that it was also on during the test drive and delivery, because she bought the warranty.

This month is off to a pitiful start. I've had 17 appointments shown and seven cars sold. Couple that with the fact that I've got five extra days off this month between holidays and personal time, so I'm not terribly optimistic about December's final numbers.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
Banks frown upon unpaid child support, so don't try to buy a Hummer if you owe your babymama $38k.

Oh well. At least I still get paid when these people come in for their appointments.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

goatse guy posted:

Banks frown upon unpaid child support, so don't try to buy a Hummer if you owe your babymama $38k.

Oh well. At least I still get paid when these people come in for their appointments.

Why is this so fitting?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

goatse guy posted:

I've seen them offered through finance departments in most of the dealerships that I've worked at.

I had a customer come in last night and buy a vehicle. She called me as soon as she drove off the lot to tell me that the CEL was on. Nevermind the fact that it was also on during the test drive and delivery, because she bought the warranty.

This month is off to a pitiful start. I've had 17 appointments shown and seven cars sold. Couple that with the fact that I've got five extra days off this month between holidays and personal time, so I'm not terribly optimistic about December's final numbers.

The salesman took her out on a test drive with a CEL? And she didn't ask questions about it?

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

mariooncrack posted:

The salesman took her out on a test drive with a CEL? And she didn't ask questions about it?

Yes. Not every car we sell is going to be perfect. We sell a lot of cars that other dealerships would send to auction, because they are the right price for some of our customers.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
That's crazy. I know you live somewhere lovely, so maybe you don't have the same system, but here in CA the seller is responsible for smogging the car, and a smog certificate is required to transfer the registration. No way would you be able to smog something with a CEL. Doesn't that mean you're selling something that is unregisterable? Or is the buyer expected to deal with whatever you didn't fix before it's time to smog / get an inspection / whatever?

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
You better take that back right now, Minnesota is great and Minneapolis is the best city on the earth. I don't live in North Dakota anymore.

Smog? Inspection? You're talking crazy talk. If it's got a VIN, you can register it.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
So it's just going to run on 3 cylinders until it blows the cat into the muffler, disabling the car entirely. Nice.

I did think you still lived in ND, but never not live on a coast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Raluek posted:

That's crazy. I know you live somewhere lovely, so maybe you don't have the same system, but here in CA the seller is responsible for smogging the car, and a smog certificate is required to transfer the registration. No way would you be able to smog something with a CEL. Doesn't that mean you're selling something that is unregisterable? Or is the buyer expected to deal with whatever you didn't fix before it's time to smog / get an inspection / whatever?

Many places don't require inspections. You can legally register and drive whatever rotted out deathtrap you want in Michigan, for example. I thought the always-lit CEL in my parents' cars was normal until I was like 17 (they are terrible car owners). I used to work at an Advance Auto Parts near Lansing, and some of the stuff that came in there was just unbelievable...like the dude who came in driving an early '80s half ton pickup - with 3 brake lines cut and clamped shut. The brakes wore out / started leaking, and it was cheaper to just clamp the line shut than actually fix them, you see. He had one functional drum brake on one of the rear wheels. :stonk:

• Locked thread