Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Jonny Nox posted:

Be careful. If you post "bike lane" in a thread three times Baron Jutter comes and shits up your thread.

Bike lanes need to start getting engineered into city upgrade plans if they're not already. And with an eye to separating cyclists from cars completely. There are just too many hazards associated with cars. Plus a cyclist can do everything right and then whoops oil spot, car, dead.

Better to use green space and separated sidewalk space and let them have their own safe space. Just make sure they can get to where they need to go.

Oh and Baron Jutter is a good poster, I think I just noticed his posts more when the traffic engineering thread went to poo poo.

Or if you live in LA, cyclists can do everything wrong, and complain about how people try to kill them all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

SaNChEzZ posted:

Or if you live in LA, cyclists can do everything wrong, and complain about how people try to kill them all the time.

I had a guy on a bicycle almost hit me on my motorcycle in Oceanside the other day, because he decided red lights didn't apply and tried to cross in the crosswalk. Almost t boned me.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

SaNChEzZ posted:

Truth.

iwentdoodie posted:

I had a guy on a bicycle almost hit me on my motorcycle in Oceanside the other day, because he decided red lights didn't apply and tried to cross in the crosswalk. Almost t boned me.

My commute is:

• 90% flat
  • 90% side streets
  • very low vehicle traffic
  • very scenic
  • near the City College
  • near a nerdy, extremely expensive technical school

The sheer amount of spandexed butt-jiggling health fuckers who think they're Lance Roidstrong, combined with the morning tide of I'M LATE FOR CLASS AND I HAVE A MESSENGER BAG kamikaze kids who watched a youtube about NY bicycle messengers means that even the most basic of quiet intersections become pure Avoidance Ballet. The group rides have gotten extremely ballsy ever since the California 3-foot law went into effect - I notice way more careless lane wandering and general lack of courtesy. A few months ago on my bike I got caught up along with several cars behind a bunch of cyclists blocking a road (that has a dedicated bike lane), and finally got so pissed off I pinned the throttle and did a few things I, well, do not recall.

Also recently I was making a right turn on green into a freeway onramp, and was halfway through the crosswalk when a bicycle shot out of the shadows underneath the overpass into the crosswalk in front of me - on the sidewalk, heading against traffic. I was in my car and I knew if I stopped he'd slam into me so I floored it and he swerved directly behind me. gently caress that guy, I know he was timing me but he's lucky I was fast enough to understand poo poo and not panic brake.

Maybe we need a Bicycle Ranting thread.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Powershift posted:

Anybody want some cheater slicks for a bro truck?

Were they in a kijiji ad claiming "80% tread! No patches!"?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

Lots of drivers will happily defend cyclists but very few bikers will. Because we're in the exact same situation every time we ride, except we have the benefits of protective gear, mirrors, an engine and brakes + tyres that aren't garbage. I'm unable to sympathise with cyclists when their behaviour and decisions seem to be directly intended to wreck their poo poo. Maybe other cities that are more cyclist friendly are different, I wouldn't know.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Maybe other cities that are more cyclist friendly are different, I wouldn't know.

Vehicle/cyclist interactions definitely go better the more of them are on the road, but it probably generates more overall accidents because there's more cyclists to hit. There's just no way for the bike to protect itself even if everyone is following the rules.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

iwentdoodie posted:

When I was in seventh grade I was sitting in the passenger seat of my dad's pickup while we were waiting in line for a ferry. He was tying down a load on the roof of the bed cap and had left his door open when some guy on a bike came riding up at fairly high speed between parked cars and slammed into his door, and got super butt-hurt that he had left his door open - not that he hadn't noticed it (it had been wide open for at least 10 minutes prior), or was riding at an unsafe speed in between cars with people sitting in them who may randomly open their doors to get out and stretch, or walk around, or any other thing you might do outside of your car while parked and waiting for a ferry.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Slavvy posted:

Lots of drivers will happily defend cyclists but very few bikers will. Because we're in the exact same situation every time we ride, except we have the benefits of protective gear, mirrors, an engine and brakes + tyres that aren't garbage. I'm unable to sympathise with cyclists when their behaviour and decisions seem to be directly intended to wreck their poo poo. Maybe other cities that are more cyclist friendly are different, I wouldn't know.

I would hit a cyclist and feel nothing. Seriously, I have no hatred for anyone based on race, religion, who they want to gently caress, or anything else...but assholes in lycra on a bicycle that cost more than my motorcycle and most cars that I've ever owned pretending that no loving laws apply to them have turned me to hating everyone I see on a bicycle that isn't obviously homeless or a day laborer.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Oh, hey, that derail. Everybody loves that derail. Has someone gone into cycle asylum to stir up some shitposters yet?

Coming soon to a passing lane near you

edit: 400cc. 5.4 horsepower. Doesn't require a license in france.

edit2: they also make a sportscar. You can drive it on a moped license in the UK

http://www.aixam.co.uk/en/coupe

5.4 hp in 770lbs. 870lbs with a chav in it, 1200lbs with a chav and his girlfriend.

$16,000 loving dollars.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Dec 12, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Powershift posted:

edit: 400cc. 5.4 horsepower.

How?! My 500cc motorcycle had 45+ hp.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Uthor posted:

How?! My 500cc motorcycle had 45+ hp.

It's a 2 cylinder naturally aspirated diesel. 14nm of torque though, which in real numbers i'm sure is a lot...or like, 10.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Powershift posted:

It's a 2 cylinder naturally aspirated diesel. 14nm of torque though, which in real numbers i'm sure is a lot...or like, 10.

I just looked up lawn mowers and the smallest Craftsman sells has 5 ft-lb in 140cc. Which is ~14 ft-lb scaled up. So it's less powerful per unit of volume than a lawn mower.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Uthor posted:

I just looked up lawn mowers and the smallest Craftsman sells has 5 ft-lb in 140cc. Which is ~14 ft-lb scaled up. So it's less powerful per unit of volume than a lawn mower.

But look how sporty!

holy poo poo there are tuning forums.

Why didn't any of you Europeans inform us about this so we could make fun of you?

and insurance is still $3500 a year for a 16 year old.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

I see the worst stuff in Lowes parking lots

Coleridge49
May 8, 2007
"I drive like a Cullen" with bonus rear window tramp stamp of a butterfly and flowers.

Grumpy cat hates your stick figure family apparently.

The P-Cube, made from what I think was 2mm aluminium.

The end of my VS Commodore (don't use your phone while driving!). Posted 'cause I'm a terrible driver.

This guy has an awesome number plate.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

jamal posted:

Ah yes, damning statistics there. Cyclists only get killed when they are in a bike lane.

Actually we have a very high percentage of cyclists on the road where I live, with people regularly cycling all over the island. Of nearly 1000 miles of road the only one has a bike lane and both fatalities have been on it, as well as a handful of serious accidents. Segregating traffic only makes it more dangerous when they intersect.

Statistics are on my side here, and not just locally. Look up shared space.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Powershift posted:

Oh, hey, that derail. Everybody loves that derail. Has someone gone into cycle asylum to stir up some shitposters yet?

Most of the people involved in 'that derail' are CA regulars. :ssh:

CA doesn't do bicycles.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Curious but with as many cyclists are there seem to be in here. What happens if you manage to ram your bike into an open door and pretty much destroy it. Can you use any sort of insurance for it?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

Turbocharge it and put bigger injectors on it :yaycloud:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

veedubfreak posted:

Curious but with as many cyclists are there seem to be in here. What happens if you manage to ram your bike into an open door and pretty much destroy it. Can you use any sort of insurance for it?

Your auto insurance should cover you.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

False.

I was hit by a car last year and had to go through my homeowner's insurance policy to get coverage. My auto policy does not cover anything not "in my car."

I'm also in the middle of a lawsuit on mine. I filed a 5 figure claim with my insurance which was paid out to me, but I have future medical and I also had to shell out my deductible.

Here's some fun examples of why it's not cool to cut off cyclists by jutting into a bike lane and slamming your god drat brakes for no reason. I was unconcious for about 20 minutes and had to have safety glass scrubbed from my entire face. I went face first through a rear windshield, shattering the entire thing. My helmet was undamaged, meaning I went nose-first (my nose is still shattered. Only one side is functional).

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking
^^
Ouch! Got cut off by a truck on my bike, but only broke my collar bone (and destroyed my bike).

veedubfreak posted:

In Canada, at least in Quebec, bicycles are covered by home insurance, even if the other driver is at fault. Yay no fault insurance!

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
And that right there is why I think bicycling is a suicidal game.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

eyebeem posted:

I was hit by a car last year ... I went face first through a rear windshield,

I want to know more about how you rear-ending a car was him hitting you.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

PCOS Bill posted:

You mean like this?

eyebeem posted:

it's not cool to cut off cyclists by jutting into a bike lane and slamming your god drat brakes for no reason.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

PCOS Bill posted:

I was trying to come up with a way to say that more diplomatically, but your way works too. :v:

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

PCOS Bill posted:

On a road with a 55mph speed limit and a very well delineated bike lane, I was doing close to 30mph when a young woman on her way to the Coachella music festival just down the street, while talking on her cell phone, slammed on her brakes and swerved over to the bike lane because she had just been told by her friend that she was going the wrong way. I reacted, but too slow to avoid hitting her car. I had managed to brake and get my handlebars turned to the left but did not clear her car.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

eyebeem posted:

On a road with a 55mph speed limit and a very well delineated bike lane, I was doing close to 30mph when a young woman on her way to the Coachella music festival just down the street, while talking on her cell phone, slammed on her brakes and swerved over to the bike lane because she had just been told by her friend that she was going the wrong way. I reacted, but too slow to avoid hitting her car. I had managed to brake and get my handlebars turned to the left but did not clear her car.

You failed to maintain control of your vehicle and struck another vehicle from behind?

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

PCOS Bill posted:

You failed to maintain control of your vehicle and struck another vehicle from behind?

This tread is turning back into terrible stuff.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yeah. I'll go ahead and not get dragged into this mess.

I like cars, so I'll just leave the cyclist part of me at the door.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Powershift posted:

edit: 400cc. 5.4 horsepower. Doesn't require a license in france.

edit2: they also make a sportscar. You can drive it on a moped license in the UK

http://www.aixam.co.uk/en/coupe

5.4 hp in 770lbs. 870lbs with a chav in it, 1200lbs with a chav and his girlfriend.

$16,000 loving dollars.

One of the guys at work has one of these, they look even more plasticy in person if thats even possible. They cost as much if not more as a decent small city hatchback and I imagine like all "quadricycles" they are horrifically unsafe because they are exempt from the same regulations cars are subject to.

Like the G-Wiz, which is also a quadricycle.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

eyebeem posted:

Yeah. I'll go ahead and not get dragged into this mess.

I like cars, so I'll just leave the cyclist part of me at the door.

Well you already left most of it in the other car you rear ended.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

PCOS Bill posted:

You're a loving idiot.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Astonishing Wang posted:

You're a loving idiot.

You know, I'm not 100% sure he was serious with that post.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Powershift posted:

Are my eyes messing with me or does that say "Kubota"

iwentdoodie posted:

Well you already left most of it in the other car you rear ended.

:thurman:

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

GutBomb posted:

You know, I'm not 100% sure he was serious with that post.

Perhaps it is I, who is the idiot.

Either way, someone is an idiot.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We have seen the idiots, and he is us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

buttcrackmenace posted:

Are my eyes messing with me or does that say "Kubota"

:thurman:

It is indeed a kubota.

The 3 cylinder kubota in my forklift is only twice the displacement, but 3 times the power.

Ludicro posted:

One of the guys at work has one of these, they look even more plasticy in person if thats even possible. They cost as much if not more as a decent small city hatchback and I imagine like all "quadricycles" they are horrifically unsafe because they are exempt from the same regulations cars are subject to.

Like the G-Wiz, which is also a quadricycle.

that's par for the course. you let golf karts on the road, they get crushed like golf carts. I can't criticize that aspect too much because if ford sold that street legal formula ecoboost, i know i'd use it to go get groceries.