Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

SlapActionJackson posted:

There's no such thing as "bonus tax". Paychecks with large bonuses have a higher withholding rate applied because of the rules on calculating withholding, but the tax owed is just your ordinary marginal rate.
The withholding on bonuses could be higher or lower than your normal withholding depending on your salary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

SlapActionJackson posted:

There's no such thing as "bonus tax". Paychecks with large bonuses have a higher withholding rate applied because of the rules on calculating withholding, but the tax owed is just your ordinary marginal rate.

Vesting year. And yes, any change in value after the vesting is treated as capital gains, not income.

Okay, that makes sense. I looked at my first check, and they included the $12,000 bonus on top of my regular salary. The tax looked a lot bigger proportionally than I was used to so I assumed there was an additional tax on top of normal Federal stuff (WA has no state income tax). I didn't know there was a higher withholding rate.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Jesus guys. I expect people in this thread to understand taxes. It is really not that hard!

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

District Selectman posted:

Jesus guys. I expect people in this thread to understand taxes. It is really not that hard!

To be fair to me, this was the first time I've ever gotten a bonus, ever.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

It's not really easy to understand payroll withholding as it's loving opaque as poo poo. Oh I got a one time bonus of 12K, by all means tax me as if I make 300K a year.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Depending on how nice your payroll department is, they are able to let you change the federal withholding on a bonus. It just defaults to 28%. At least I was given that option(and the option to make special 401k and HSA deposits) from 2010-2012 (and then last year they informed me of my bonus literally the day before it was deposited, so sucks to be you if you want anything special done with it).

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

It's an end-of-year bonus, and with taxes finished and sent by January 10 (a couple extra days for us slowpokes), doesn't the refund check encompass all that anyway?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Aliquid posted:

It's an end-of-year bonus, and with taxes finished and sent by January 10 (a couple extra days for us slowpokes), doesn't the refund check encompass all that anyway?

My end of year bonus is given with reviews and performance increases sometime in Feb, so it's a year in arrears, but it does sorta work out that way with the refund coming in right after anyway.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
It's me. I'm the one bad with money. I turned down a job that was nearly double my current pay so I wouldn't have to move to Baltimore. But then again, I own my apartment here in New York with associated lower cost of living, so I don't know if this is only slightly bad with money or horrendous with money.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

TastyLemonDrops posted:

It's me. I'm the one bad with money. I turned down a job that was nearly double my current pay so I wouldn't have to move to Baltimore. But then again, I own my apartment here in New York with associated lower cost of living, so I don't know if this is only slightly bad with money or horrendous with money.

Not living in Baltimore is being pretty good with life decisions.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Hey, quit telling stories in the derail megathread.

Content:

some redditor posted:

So I bought a 2002 ford mustang v6 with 115000 miles on it for 10990. With the interest rate at 23.99%. So I now know the car is not even worth half of what I'm paying and the interest rate is super high, but here's my story. So I needed a car ASAP and my old honda took a poo poo so I went to the first car dealer that would even look at me because I'm 21 with no credit history and no co-signers. So I went to this used dealer and they offered me this car and so I took it. That was 5 months ago and biggest mistake of my life. I thought hey I'm getting a car and building my credit so this must be good and I did not know much about the interest rate or just how much the car I am buying is worth at the time so I thought it was a fair deal but now seeing my coworks with better cars and lower payments and lower interests rates I realized how much I'm getting screwed. So I'm stuck with this ten year old car at almost 400 a month payments and high interest rate. Not to mention the car is now giving me problems such as I found a puddle of transmission fluid under it and it bogs out from time to time. So my question is there anything I can do like trade it in for a better car with lower interest rate even thought I bought it 5 months ago. I know I'd be loosing money but I'd rather be paying for a car I like to drive and actually like then this slow piece of poo poo car. So ANY advice at all would help. Also if it helps Southern California.

Edit: Thanks everyone for your advice it will help me in my future. And to clear up something's it is a buy her pay here dealer. In the article that jsblk300 posted, which was a good article about thr dealers, it describes the dealer perfect and actually the dealer I bought from is mentioned in the article. And since i work in a high rise building i managed to make a friend with a lawyer who said he will take a quick look at the contract and look into the situation for me and see what i can do, but if he cant find anything I'm just gonna take my losses and pay the car for about another year which hopefully if they report to the credit agency my credit will be good enough to just trade it in at a real car dealer.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

SarutosZero posted:

Not living in Baltimore is being pretty good with life decisions.

Straight up disagree. I moved to Baltimore for the same amount of money I was making in DC and I'm straight up loving it.

As long as you're not actively terrified of black people and aren't completely clueless about city living you should be fine

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
lovely V6 mustang guy is going to find himself underwater and will find out he still has a couple of years or more on that loan.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Now you have to apply for other jobs in New York and leverage the other offer when negotiating salary.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Devian666 posted:

lovely V6 mustang guy is going to find himself underwater and will find out he still has a couple of years or more on that loan.
He must be paying way over $400/mo, cuz 10990/400=27.4, not counting that massive interest rate.

More likely, he has many years left on it and is clueless. Lol.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Devian666 posted:

To be fair, probably no one taught him the adage "caveat emptor: buy her pay here"

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
I liked the "but I work in a highrise building, so of course I know a lawyer" comment.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Mantle posted:

To be fair, probably no one taught him the adage "caveat emptor: buy her pay here"

I just thought that was jibberish, now you've made it clear that lovely V6 mustang guy is a loving idiot. In any other situation it would be a brilliant play on words.

SiGmA_X posted:

He must be paying way over $400/mo, cuz 10990/400=27.4, not counting that massive interest rate.

More likely, he has many years left on it and is clueless. Lol.

I chucked the figures in a loan app and it's got to be at least 3 years four months for $400. He's got to be paying more on at least a 3 year loan. He's hosed.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 11, 2014

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Not a Children posted:

Straight up disagree. I moved to Baltimore for the same amount of money I was making in DC and I'm straight up loving it.

As long as you're not actively terrified of black people and aren't completely clueless about city living you should be fine

The example could have been Uzbekistan. I think the larger point is that if you don't want to live somewhere (for legitimate or silly reasons), no amount of money (well, within reason) will make moving there worth it.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Mustang guy is probably paying a small fortune on insurance for the car on top of everything else.

Scenty
Feb 8, 2008

I wonder about mustang guy's "old honda" that he gave up. I have a 1998 civic and about a year ago I had to replace every seal and the head gasket after it overheated once and the mechanic found it was leaking oil at a ridiculous rate. He said hondas of that time period tend to have leaky seals. It cost a decent chunk of change but the engine is solid and I will get at least 3 more years out of it (goal is more). Lots of people seem to be against putting money into an older car when it can really be worth it in the long-run depending on make and model.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Barry posted:

The example could have been Uzbekistan. I think the larger point is that if you don't want to live somewhere (for legitimate or silly reasons), no amount of money (well, within reason) will make moving there worth it.

Fair 'nuff. I actually turned down a silicon valley job for the exact same reason. I'm a little salty about someone out and out rejecting my town, I suppose

For content: My ex just spent $5k on an operation for her 18 year old dog. I get why she did it, but the poor thing has been hanging on by a thread for the past few months.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Not a Children posted:

Fair 'nuff. I actually turned down a silicon valley job for the exact same reason. I'm a little salty about someone out and out rejecting my town, I suppose

For content: My ex just spent $5k on an operation for her 18 year old dog. I get why she did it, but the poor thing has been hanging on by a thread for the past few months.

Content: my recently ex-coworker moved to Canada from Australia 18 months ago, bringing over her ancient 14 year old dogs at $1000 each. Her husband just got a job in Saudi so she's sending the dogs back to Australia. I don't remember the exact numbers but apparently when the dogs to back to Australia they have to be quarantined for 3 weeks. I think her cost is $9000 for that alone and one of the dogs is in such bad shape it probably won't live past next year.

She was in an admin role at my company and her husband was a boat mechanic before getting the job in Saudi so they weren't making much. I'm guessing he's going to hit 6 figures in Saudi but I am pretty sure they are just going to piss it all away living (baller) paycheque to paycheque.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Mantle posted:

Content: my recently ex-coworker moved to Canada from Australia 18 months ago, bringing over her ancient 14 year old dogs at $1000 each. Her husband just got a job in Saudi so she's sending the dogs back to Australia. I don't remember the exact numbers but apparently when the dogs to back to Australia they have to be quarantined for 3 weeks. I think her cost is $9000 for that alone and one of the dogs is in such bad shape it probably won't live past next year.

She was in an admin role at my company and her husband was a boat mechanic before getting the job in Saudi so they weren't making much. I'm guessing he's going to hit 6 figures in Saudi but I am pretty sure they are just going to piss it all away living (baller) paycheque to paycheque.

If it's like a cat, it should be ten days (they dropped it down this past year from 30 days, but jacked the kenneling fees way up to compensate), poo poo costs like $1400.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 12, 2014

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Scenty posted:

I wonder about mustang guy's "old honda" that he gave up. I have a 1998 civic and about a year ago I had to replace every seal and the head gasket after it overheated once and the mechanic found it was leaking oil at a ridiculous rate. He said hondas of that time period tend to have leaky seals. It cost a decent chunk of change but the engine is solid and I will get at least 3 more years out of it (goal is more). Lots of people seem to be against putting money into an older car when it can really be worth it in the long-run depending on make and model.

Sup, civic buddy. I have a '99 civic with a chronic oil leak that's not really worth it to fix (I just add oil every three weeks or so) and I also had to replace my head gasket after my car overheated, and the radiator too, lucky me. It's still going pretty strong though! I bought it four or five years ago for $2000, and have put about the same again into repairs (not counting routine). It's ugly, scratched, and a little cramped, but gently caress if it isn't a good deal.

That said, next year my financial resolution is buying a new Fit with cash and giving this piece of poo poo a viking funeral.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Being good.with money is living here. http://www.movoto.com/blog/opinions/most-affordable-states-map/

:smug:

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Might as well name it, states people don't want to live in.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

S...South Carolina?

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Not a Children posted:

The job was actually in Hanover, which from what I could tell was nothing but suburbs and huge shopping centers. I've a preference for living in bigger cities, and Baltimore was the closest! I'd still have needed to drive, which would've been a huge pain, since I don't own a car (another investment I'd need to make before being able to work). It was just some information not being mentioned, not rejecting your town. Still, double my current pay :eng99:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Ahhh, gotcha. Sorry for the snap reaction, I know a lot of people who raise an eyebrow at me living/working in the city because they think it's basically a huge ghetto. Definitely the right call then, Baltimore is a pain to commute south through. If you're living in the city proper, it takes at least 10 minutes to get onto I-95, and depending on the traffic it would have taken between another 10-25 minutes to get there. From a quality of life perspective that's pretty lovely.

I'm probably spending an extra $2-300 a month to live within 2 miles of work, so I guess we're sorta coming from the same place. Quality of life is just hard to put into monetary terms.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
As someone who used to live within 2 miles of work, that is the loving truth man. I would kill to be able to walk to work again. My commute makes my soul weary. Alas my job is in the burbs, and living there for 5 years did more damage to my soul. Both of you guys are right!

You might ask why I can't find a job within walking distance in a city, and I'd answer that my city is Philadelphia and my job is engineering, and the two shall never mix because gently caress Philly forever.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

As someone who used to live within 2 miles of work, that is the loving truth man. I would kill to be able to walk to work again. My commute makes my soul weary. Alas my job is in the burbs, and living there for 5 years did more damage to my soul. Both of you guys are right!

You might ask why I can't find a job within walking distance in a city, and I'd answer that my city is Philadelphia and my job is engineering, and the two shall never mix because gently caress Philly forever.

So you commute from Philly to the suburbs, if you live in a non shithole part of Philly (very little of it) you also pay out the rear end in rent, and you pay city wage tax.

Sounds like you're the one bad with money.

I'm bad with money, I live in the suburbs and drive in and have to pay for parking because gently caress Septa.

Folly
May 26, 2010

You could re-hue that map from Red to Blue and you'd pretty much have the map of voter Democrat vs Republican voter preference in national elections.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
It looks more like a map of rurality or per capita farmland, to me.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Bloody Queef posted:

So you commute from Philly to the suburbs, if you live in a non shithole part of Philly (very little of it)

I envision most of Philly as being like the rundown neighborhood/apartment Rocky lives in, how close is this to the truth?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I'm not even sure how accurate that map is. In Nebraska, they claim an unemployment rate of 5.58%, but the Nebraska rate has been ~3.6% since May. And it hasn't been above 5% since 2010.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Nail Rat posted:

I envision most of Philly as being like the rundown neighborhood/apartment Rocky lives in, how close is this to the truth?

There are some really nice apartment high rises and a few places in old city that are nice, but yeah, that's an accurate description. There's a reason basically no one over 30 lives in the city.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

It's like Mogadishu, but actually worse because it's filled with Eagles fans rather than just Al-Shabab.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Bloody Queef posted:

So you commute from Philly to the suburbs, if you live in a non shithole part of Philly (very little of it) you also pay out the rear end in rent, and you pay city wage tax.

Sounds like you're the one bad with money.

I'm bad with money, I live in the suburbs and drive in and have to pay for parking because gently caress Septa.

Negative, I pay less to live in Northern Liberties than my coworkers pay to rent in the burbs. Also what you're saying about over 30s not living there sounds like 50 year old dad chat.

There's a million places you could live in Philly that are good for the price if you're not a baby. Fishtown, art musuem, university city.

Enjoy your yard I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Bloody Queef posted:

There are some really nice apartment high rises and a few places in old city that are nice, but yeah, that's an accurate description. There's a reason basically no one over 30 lives in the city.

Laughing my rear end off here. Old City? Really? I have found the problem with your assessment of the city.

• Locked thread